Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Aug 2004, 17:35 (Ref:1078295)   #26
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The question is what is F1 all about? What is the point of F1 racing? Fundamentally. Not what it might have become, but what are the roots.

I'll have a go.

F1 is the ultimate race to see who is the quickest driver and car.

Perhaps needs some fine tuning, but it's a start. It includes the man and machine part.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 17:38 (Ref:1078298)   #27
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well you've said what it is, in essence, right there.

Close thread.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 17:40 (Ref:1078300)   #28
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 is If backwards. Oh, someone already said that? I'll try again.

F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport.

There. Can't get much more succinct than that.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 17:41 (Ref:1078302)   #29
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a range of tracks with combinations of left and right turns as well as straights.

Otherwise it's drag racing or ovals.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 17:42 (Ref:1078304)   #30
006_007
Racer

006_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, that should have the most technologically advanced cars available, coupled with the greatest drivers, legends are made.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 17:51 (Ref:1078313)   #31
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport.
I might have to make you define motorsport then

Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Well you've said what it is, in essence, right there.

Close thread.
Hmmm. Well it is what I had in mind when I started the thread. Although I was hoping for a better way of putting it, or (and this is what I really wanted) a whole new way of looking at it. For discussion.

Of course the second question is how is it achieved and that is covered in many other threads. Although I found that those threads are how to fix F1, rather than achieve it from scratch (if you like).

I thought a different approach might be fun and beneficial. Nothing is achieved by continually whining and not actually thinking about the question. When we know what F1 is then we can decide what the key objectives of F1 are and perhaps which of these are most important or can the objectives become redundant (all for later...)

The floor is still open.

Fangio suggested it was the art of being able to drive as slow as possible, but faster than any one else (paraphrased).

Last edited by Adam43; 26 Aug 2004 at 17:54.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 18:15 (Ref:1078336)   #32
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Adam, your use of "ultimate" in your definition has a certain finality to it. Shouldn't the exercise be ongoing?

For me, F1 has always been more about the drivers than the cars. I believe that the cars should be fast, but don't require unfettered technological advances to keep me interested. I'd rather see a day when an average driver on his most brilliant is able to achieve his dreamt-of victory in an average car.

I stand by my first definition in theory, but lack the poetry to make it resonate.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 18:28 (Ref:1078348)   #33
Jaxs
Racer

Jaxs has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
F1, for the driver, the ultimate challenge
For the engineer, the penultimate
For the designer, a means of artistic expression within a confined and deliberate set of rules embracing all the best of aerodynnamics
For the team owner, frustratation but the opportunity to amass lots of money.. if you are lucky.
For the spectator, yer right. you are paying, at the track, thro the purchase of branded goods, thro digital TV and the list goes on.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 18:30 (Ref:1078352)   #34
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 is a form of motorsport where 20 of the fastest cars in the world go around a circuit 60-70 times once every two weeks... this action of going round and round a circuit is called a "race"...

during each race they stop 2-3 times for about 8 secs this phenomenon is called a "pitstop"

a "pitstop" is an event when a car is refuelled and the tyres of the "car" is changed

a "car" is the vessel that carries these men who go round and round...

the "grid" or the starting positions of these men is decided in a qualifying session.... the fastest driver gets "poleposition"

"poleposition" is the name given to the no.1 starting spot..

the man who completes the 60-70 rounds first is the "winner"

the winner is the guy on the top step of the "podium"

the "podium" is the place where the "champagne" and trophy is given to the 2nd and 3rd placed driver and ofcourse that guy called the winner

"champagne" is a form of alcoholic fizzy drink

and that Adam is F1!!

Last edited by ralf fan; 26 Aug 2004 at 18:32.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 18:33 (Ref:1078354)   #35
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Champagne" is bloody horrible.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 18:35 (Ref:1078356)   #36
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Thanks But should the fundamental definition of F1 should include the word 'pitstop' (for example)?

F1 is a competition to see who is the fastest?

Similarly EERO, does the definition need to mention 'world champion'? Is the point to find a world champion or just to find out who is fastest in that one race/round. I guess it could.

Last edited by Adam43; 26 Aug 2004 at 18:37.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 18:38 (Ref:1078360)   #37
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well techincally you asked What is f1 right now.... so it should include the word 'pitstop'...

if you had asked what f1 SHOULD be.... thats a whole different story...
Old 26 Aug 2004, 18:40 (Ref:1078363)   #38
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Re: What is F1?

did I?
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Fundamentally what is F1? I don't mean 'F1 is cool' or 'F1 is pants' I mean what should F1 be? What ideally is F1 for you? Not what is it now? I'm sort of thinking along the lines of Why we have F1, what is the purpose of F1?

Please complete the following sentence (in no more than twenty words). I think succinct will work best.

"F1 is..."

Last edited by Adam43; 26 Aug 2004 at 18:42.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 18:46 (Ref:1078369)   #39
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ID like to bring the courts attention to the last line of that quoted post

you say "f1 is....."

clearly when it is supposed to say "f1 should be..."

that line was clearly misleading your honour...

Last edited by ralf fan; 26 Aug 2004 at 18:47.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 18:47 (Ref:1078374)   #40
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

F1 is, fundamentally a technical challenge as well as a driver challenge.

A showcase of human skills and technology, teamwork and adaptability, bravery and bravado.

The fastest, most exhilarating show on earth.

And, of course, a political minefield.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 18:49 (Ref:1078376)   #41
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
We have a winner!! well said knowlesy
Old 26 Aug 2004, 18:50 (Ref:1078377)   #42
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The first two I think have a place in the fundamentals of F1 and are pretty spot on...
The third? Is F1 fundamentally meant to be a show?
Political minefield. It undeniably is, but it isn't meant to be. That is just a side effect.

Ralf fan. I'm glad your up to speed

Last edited by Adam43; 26 Aug 2004 at 18:51.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 18:54 (Ref:1078381)   #43
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Depends what feelings the word "show" evokes I guess. Maybe "sport" is a better, more universal word?

Political minefield is a side effect, I have to agree with you there.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 19:10 (Ref:1078404)   #44
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I prefer 'sport'.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 19:45 (Ref:1078437)   #45
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a game !
Old 26 Aug 2004, 20:25 (Ref:1078482)   #46
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It's a fortnightly soap opera!
Old 26 Aug 2004, 20:30 (Ref:1078490)   #47
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
That is what you think F1 is primarily in existence for? You're doing alright then.

Last edited by Adam43; 26 Aug 2004 at 20:30.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 20:40 (Ref:1078506)   #48
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Soap opera's are normally duller than ditch water but still command high viewing figures.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 20:45 (Ref:1078511)   #49
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

IS THAT WHAT F1 IS PRIMARILY IN EXISTENCE FOR?!?! EH?!?!

(Sorry to shout).
Old 26 Aug 2004, 20:51 (Ref:1078517)   #50
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Of course not,but it is primarily a TV show and if we are to continue to see this show then it must be a good show,ITV will not always think it a good show.