Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Sep 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1396742)   #26
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A Ferrari 360 GTC or two is currently embarrasing everyone else in the British GT championship pretty comfortably - against some decent porsche teams such as Eurotech and Embassy
Old 1 Sep 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1396840)   #27
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
I think the the Maserati and DBRS9 are GT3 cars.

I have good hopes the LNT Panoz will be competative.

The last few years Ferrari factory involvement and GT racing wasn't a good and succesful combination.
Autosport say the Maserati will be a works GT2 program.

The DBRS9 is being homologated in GT2, all being well.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 23:51 (Ref:1396882)   #28
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Autosport say the Maserati will be a works GT2 program.

The DBRS9 is being homologated in GT2, all being well.
I noticed that after my post on the Maser. Autosport has been less than reliable in the past.. .so I'll await real confirmation.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 00:14 (Ref:1396899)   #29
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They do seem to have good links with Ferrari/Maserati however.

They broke the MC12 news 12 months before it was officially announced.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 00:23 (Ref:1396903)   #30
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
They do seem to have good links with Ferrari/Maserati however.

They broke the MC12 news 12 months before it was officially announced.

If you post enough items... something has to come true at some point.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 00:38 (Ref:1396908)   #31
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DSC has reported on the Maserati GT2 as well and it seems as though the DBRS9 is indeed being homologated for GT2. I can see the doubts though about the potential for the Ferrari F430 GTC due to Ferrari's recent sportscar ventures, but I wouldn't put this car out as it seems that the most pressing issue of the 360 (the engine) is being looked after carefully this time around.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 02:29 (Ref:1396957)   #32
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the rules stated you couldnt run the same car in two classes...the same reason there werent any GT2 vettes.

Is this changing?
Old 2 Sep 2005, 02:43 (Ref:1396960)   #33
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy
I thought the rules stated you couldnt run the same car in two classes...the same reason there werent any GT2 vettes.

Is this changing?

Those rules have never been in place.

There was a GT2 vette previously, as well a 550 Ferraris.....
Old 2 Sep 2005, 18:42 (Ref:1397513)   #34
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
BTW - in an interview with DSC, Frederick Dor states that the Aston will not be homologated for GT2.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1397515)   #35
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy
I thought the same, but have to admit there was a Ferrari 550 GT2 competing 1 or 2 years ago.
Old 2 Sep 2005, 21:40 (Ref:1397608)   #36
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
there was a GT2.. i think it raced in FFSA too ... it must be in one GT championship around Europe

Ciao Marco
Old 3 Sep 2005, 01:25 (Ref:1397661)   #37
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
I do believe that a Viper ran in a few ALMS races in what is now GT2 as well.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 02:18 (Ref:1397670)   #38
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
A Ferrari 360 GTC or two is currently embarrasing everyone else in the British GT championship pretty comfortably - against some decent porsche teams such as Eurotech and Embassy
I noticed how quick the 360GTC were when I was Silverstone recently, although a Porsche ended up taking the win on that day... what is the difference between British GT and the GT2 rules?

One other car impressed at Silverstone.... not the best looking car to my tastes, but the Nissan 350Z was quick... coming in 3rd in the race. Not a factory development effort either.... does the 350Z have potential in GT2 or are Nissan not interested in providing any support?
Old 3 Sep 2005, 02:48 (Ref:1397674)   #39
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
The Nissan is run by one of Nissan's factory teams in Europe. I'm glad to see the car actually OUT THERE.

Nissan North America couldn't find a team with suitable funding to race and develop the car. I think if it showed any speed, that its a soild platform for a racing car. It would also do Nissan some good in the North American market to race the car here to increase sells with impending competition from some new cars coming down the pike.

The only Ferrari's that didn't do too well were any of the cars that made a trip to America. Acemco and Risi all ran the 360GTC here and at Le Mans, were competitive with all the other private Porsche teams but not all that competitve with the factory supported AJR and Dick Barbour 911 GT3's.

When JMB's 360 made it over here they were on PACE with the AJR. This was the SAME car that won the FIA N-GT championship and even they struggled with the AJR effort. - http://www.qv500.com/ferrari360p6.php

Like I said, to say that ALMS is prolly the best sportscar championship top to bottom isn't an understatement, especially in GT/N-GT.

An ALMS based team has WON GT at Le Mans 3 out of 4 years

Corvette Racing is 3 out of 4 in GT1/GTS and only Prodrive with Care Racing has even MANAGED to beat them straight up.

All that being said, I think you'll see more non-911's in GT next season. I feel you'll see JMB Racing America over here with the new 430GTC, since they are a factory supported team with factory drivers usually.

I'm not saying Porsche's domination won't continue for another season, but they'll have to work MUCH, MUCH harder for it.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 04:15 (Ref:1397695)   #40
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just a note for comparing Ferrari 360 performance in FIA-GT and in ALMS: as I remember it, the rules between those series differed with regards to the use of a diffuser (or some type of rear underbody aero) on the 360 which was allowed in FIA trim but not in ACO spec. I don't believe the differences in Porsche spec were nearly that dramatic, which may account for some of the relative difference in pace of JMB cars on the two continents compared to Porsche.

This is not to say that AJR isn't a truly world-beating organization, because I believe they are. Not all Ferraris in the ALMS were equal either, the Risi and (on its appearance) Ferri cars were much more competitive because they used an H-pattern box which shifted much more rapidly than the paddleshift. The other Ferraris were losing a significant amount of time shifting, and I believe the top Porsches had just got new sequential boxes at that time.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1397968)   #41
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasud
I noticed how quick the 360GTC were when I was Silverstone recently, although a Porsche ended up taking the win on that day... what is the difference between British GT and the GT2 rules?

One other car impressed at Silverstone.... not the best looking car to my tastes, but the Nissan 350Z was quick... coming in 3rd in the race. Not a factory development effort either.... does the 350Z have potential in GT2 or are Nissan not interested in providing any support?
The differences - British GT has different noise regs for starters (which is so disappointing!) so there's one - but mostly British GT regs are very similar to international rules - hence the GT2 and GT3 class names. When the BGT cars ran with the FIA cars at Magny-Cours this year... does anyone know if they ran completely in BGT spec? Would give an idea as to the differences.

I do like the 350Z, it's a breath of fresh air for the GT2 class, although I prefered the sleek silver colours to the bright turquoise we saw at Silverstone! It's a little bit of a shame that Nissan haven't supported it too well. British GT is certainly not dominated by Porsche, but the 350Z seems to be capable of mixing it with the likes of Embassy and Eurotech, so all it really needs is just a little bit of support and money thrown behind it...?
Old 3 Sep 2005, 15:36 (Ref:1398004)   #42
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
at Magny Cours.. Scuderia Ecosse finished 3rd and 4th . after the Group M Porsches . .

Ciao Marco
Old 5 Sep 2005, 02:02 (Ref:1399155)   #43
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie
Nissan North America couldn't find a team with suitable funding to race and develop the car. I think if it showed any speed, that its a soild platform for a racing car. It would also do Nissan some good in the North American market to race the car here to increase sells with impending competition from some new cars coming down the pike..

NNA has had no interest in having the 350Z raced.
Old 5 Sep 2005, 08:31 (Ref:1399295)   #44
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is my take on the dominance of Porsche:

For Porsche, GT racing is their shop window, like F1 is for Ferrari. They'll always take it seriously.

Imagine you're a wealthy amateur and the Porsche's advantages become clear.

The engine configuration makes for great traction. As an amateur, the ability to get on the power quickly, immediately after yet another corner that you've done less than brilliantly must feel quite rewarding, and encourage you to do better.
The engine isn't cooking you or deafening you (as much).
You don't need to carry any spares to races- Porsche bring a shop.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 09:37 (Ref:1400168)   #45
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Lotus Sport Exige will make a good GT2 car, too, if it can get its homologation.
Old 6 Sep 2005, 16:02 (Ref:1400494)   #46
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osella
For Porsche, GT racing is their shop window, like F1 is for Ferrari. They'll always take it seriously.
As good old Ferdinand Porsche said; there's a big difference. Ferrari sells roadcars to pay for their racing. Porsche races cars to sell their roadcars
Old 7 Sep 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1401395)   #47
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, to be honest, either system works so long as you get a)racecars and b)decent roadcars!
Old 7 Sep 2005, 15:05 (Ref:1401440)   #48
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Well it was good to see 4 different cars in the first four places at Nurburgring. When was the last time that happened, I wonder?
Old 7 Sep 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1401687)   #49
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, no factory support in LMES
both GruppeM factory cars had been in the transporter from oschersleben
was very nice to see the spyker on second
Old 8 Sep 2005, 05:15 (Ref:1401904)   #50
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
Ferrari sells roadcars to pay for their racing. Porsche races cars to sell their roadcars
I wonder why is Ferrari involved in GT racing then? The 575 is not doing well enough to achieve either.