Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Apr 2012, 21:17 (Ref:3063306)   #26
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK, a few better ones. Sorry I can't ID the cars and drivers though, my programme ended up in the bin, sodden through from the biblical stormfront.

Old 21 Apr 2012, 22:06 (Ref:3063324)   #27
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't make it to Cadwell (I was having a somewhat drier time at VSCC's Silverstone meeting); however, I think I've been able to identify the following drivers in medius's pictures:

1. John Harrison Mallock Mk. 21
2. Mark Charteris Mallock Mk. 20b/21
3. MJ Goddard Mallock Mk. 18
4. Steven Chaplin Phantom P79
5. Ray Mallock Mallock Mk. 18b
6. Jeremy Main Reynard SF79
7. Pass
8. John Counsell Brabham BT18a
9. Leif Bosson Brabham BT28
10. Pass
11. John Crowell Elden Mk. 8
12. James Timm Brabham BT21b
13. Jeremy Main Reynard SF79
14. Robert Tusting Delta T79
15. Pass
16. Paul Stafford Datsun 240Z
17. Bruce Bartell Chevron B34
Old 21 Apr 2012, 22:44 (Ref:3063338)   #28
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Top effort, thankyou. The rest of the day's photos are available here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/BHP-Bi...67382869967128
Old 22 Apr 2012, 08:27 (Ref:3063489)   #29
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I gather it was a tad humid, hopefully a little brighter and dryer this morning ?
Old 22 Apr 2012, 08:52 (Ref:3063498)   #30
CGC Retro
Rookie

CGC Retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a lot warmer this morning live an hour away in sleaford and it's a nice sunny morning, sadly younger brothers don't want to go so going to have to look on you tube for any footage and way for photo's. yesterday was a bit wet and cold.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 09:57 (Ref:3063536)   #31
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great shots Medius, thanks
Old 22 Apr 2012, 10:52 (Ref:3063564)   #32
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yesterday had some of the least clement conditions I can remember in the past 2 years - and there have been many candidates in that time. Croft last August for example but at least is was a little warmer.

As an illustration of how much difference such conditions can make ....

Jamie Brashaw in the CF race had a left front tyre deflate, completely, after lap 2. Not good on a mostly right handed circuit and normally a good reason for instant retirement.

However he effectively 3 wheeled to a win by making the most of the performance he had on left handers and defending very well on right handers. The spray making visibility tricky would have helped I suppose but none the less it was a remarkable performance.

How he kept it straight at speed I have no idea.

I can't be there today but I really hope they are having better weather than yesterday.

A challenge for the HSCC as the penutlimate race was red flagged (as I understand it) and then could not be restarted before the end of the day due to the rivers. So today they have to deal with a hangover of 2 races and one qualifying session from yesterday plus the scheduled event list for today - which was pretty full.

Off to seek some live timing to see what's going on.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 19:57 (Ref:3063851)   #33
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great weekend despite the weather. Wonderful cars at a wonderful circuit. Please Mr Palmer leave this great track alone. Leave something for those of us who love real racing cars on real circuits.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 20:51 (Ref:3063873)   #34
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yesterday at Cadwell was the wettest race meeting I've been to for a very long time. Today a bit better though we had a couple of showers to spice things up.The HSCC did a brilliant job under the circumstances and all races were completed though many reduced from 20 to 15 minutes duration. Combining the two Historic Touring car races for their second race late today also helped to get the timetable completed. Graham White and the team deserve a round of applause for coping so well with such miserable conditions.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 21:39 (Ref:3063893)   #35
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A 460 mile return trip, dreadful weather (especially Saturday), mud everywhere, far too many photos to process......and I can't wait to go back next year
Old 22 Apr 2012, 21:45 (Ref:3063895)   #36
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Great weekend despite the weather. Wonderful cars at a wonderful circuit. Please Mr Palmer leave this great track alone. Leave something for those of us who love real racing cars on real circuits.
Have to agree with that paddy.

I would imagine that a business plan for Cadwell would make interesting reading, especially if it attempted to make the circuit 'main stream'.

There are signs of 'progress' in one or two places. Can anyone interpret the new section of debris fencing at the top of rise between Coppice and Charlies? Are there plan for Truck racing at Cadwell? The fence looks strong enough to deal with several tonnes of high speed impact.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 07:46 (Ref:3064058)   #37
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cadwell

Great circuit, great meeting. A sincere thanks to all the officials and marshals for coping with the conditions. Whenever I make the long journey to Cadwell there's a moment when I wonder why I have done so - then I get on the track and it's obvious. Best wishes, Robert
Old 23 Apr 2012, 08:15 (Ref:3064072)   #38
JonWolfe
Rookie

European Union
Gravenhurst
JonWolfe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Despite the weather it was a great event. As expected, the Falcon was a complete handful and my arms are really aching today! Good turn out of spectators too.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 09:26 (Ref:3064109)   #39
bigvalveelan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gaunts Common, Wimborne
bigvalveelan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great photos Medius! You deserve a medal for staying out there and taking so many - at least we only had to survive qualifying and a couple of races.
It really was quite tricky, knowing where there was going to be some grip as it changed each lap - i couldn't see the rivers, and you couldn't feel the wheels locking up as they were floating on the water! On day 2 in the middle of the roadsports race the track turned completely white in places as these little frozen ball bearings fell from the sky ... and then 1 lap later they were all gone again.
Whatever the weather, it's a great track, even if the paddock is rather muddy. Shame so many people ended up with majpr damage - that might make some grids a bit smaller for a month or two.

Paul (HRS Elan #1)
Old 23 Apr 2012, 10:14 (Ref:3064158)   #40
nate93
Racer

United Kingdom
Tattershall, Lincolnshire
nate93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
There are signs of 'progress' in one or two places. Can anyone interpret the new section of debris fencing at the top of rise between Coppice and Charlies? Are there plan for Truck racing at Cadwell? The fence looks strong enough to deal with several tonnes of high speed impact.
Originally it was said that it was due to BSB going to Cadwell, they come up through coppice so fast they needed some sort of crash protection.

Same story with debris fencing on all the marshals posts - makes flagging in hall bends a real pain!

Thanks to you all for a brilliant weekend of racing and some spectacular driving in the conditions!
Old 23 Apr 2012, 13:36 (Ref:3064276)   #41
Yorkie 'S'
Rookie

England
Leeds
Yorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I would imagine that a business plan for Cadwell would make interesting reading, especially if it attempted to make the circuit 'main stream'.
http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Multi...ail/story.html

Does anyone have any more details to put behind this ???

We had a great weekend, if a tad wet on my first ever visit to Cadwell Park. My first impression was WOW !!!! The hours (well minutes) put in on youtube to learn the circuit just doesn’t do the elevation changes justice. What a spectacular place!!! I can only liken racing here to riding a roller coaster - what fun!

I have to say it was rather "exciting" as I splashed through/floated over the puddles on more than one occasion. The wall of water and lack of visibility at the start of the first under 1300cc HTC race was quite alarming from my viewpoint. Seeing Roger Godfrey float off the circuit in front of me on the formation lap for the doomed race on the Saturday evening was not a welcome site either.

I wonder what the new plans will be - they MUST not lose the unique character of this place, there is no other circuit quite like it in the UK - what a GEM.

Yorkie

Last edited by Yorkie 'S'; 23 Apr 2012 at 13:49.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 15:55 (Ref:3064358)   #42
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
I don't want to sound (too much) like a miserable old git about this but I really, really hope that JP doesn't lose the character of this great circuit. In my view the new circuit layout at Snetterton is far inferior to the old layout and the proposed changes to Graham Hill bend at Brands is abysmal. Improvements to the infrastructure at Cadwell will be welcome (as were the changes to the Snetterton paddock) as the paddock is a shambles and there should be far more access to electric points in this modern age. Hotel, technology park - no problem with these. Some widening of the track - again no problem. Changes to circuit layout - no, no, no.
However, with MSV/JP's changes to other circuits I really fear the worst.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 16:45 (Ref:3064380)   #43
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some of my photos from Sunday. Can be viewed by anyone with this link, no facebook password required.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=cad0dd4905
Old 23 Apr 2012, 17:16 (Ref:3064394)   #44
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson View Post
Some of my photos from Sunday. Can be viewed by anyone with this link, no facebook password required.
Great selection of locations Andrew. I was struggling to work out where a couple of them were taken but I think I know now.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 18:46 (Ref:3064427)   #45
David Owen
Racer

David Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Andrew.

It was an interesting marshalling weekend. The ladies you featured were on our "all lady" post at the top of the mountain raising awareness of Women in Motorsport and charity funds for the Lincs Air Ambulance which supports Cadwell admirably. There were also lady officials elsewhere including other marshals posts, startline, pit-lane, timekeepers and race control.

Old 24 Apr 2012, 16:52 (Ref:3065013)   #46
105 Mad
Rookie

England
Chesham
105 Mad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I don't want to sound (too much) like a miserable old git about this but I really, really hope that JP doesn't lose the character of this great circuit. In my view the new circuit layout at Snetterton is far inferior to the old layout and the proposed changes to Graham Hill bend at Brands is abysmal. Improvements to the infrastructure at Cadwell will be welcome (as were the changes to the Snetterton paddock) as the paddock is a shambles and there should be far more access to electric points in this modern age. Hotel, technology park - no problem with these. Some widening of the track - again no problem. Changes to circuit layout - no, no, no.
However, with MSV/JP's changes to other circuits I really fear the worst.
Sorry Peter, but I quite like the new Snetterton. More bends which are nicely linked together has got to be better than a long fast straight?
Cadwell is epic, I love it more every time I go there. Had a great race with Bryan in his "Angle box", at one point we were side by side going up the mountain. Second race got mugged by all the Imps & Mini's which set me back a bit.
Still, pleased with the weekend, a full 6 sec a lap quicker than last yr.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 19:03 (Ref:3065093)   #47
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
The problem with Snetterton and most recent circuit changes is that corners are usually constant radius, without challemge, and designed to pass the MSA inspection before a licence is granted. We need some circuits with long fast straights provided that the twisty bits are a challenge.
Cadwell has remained almost, if not entirely, unchanged since the 60s so why the need to change now if everything has been OK for almost 50 years?
I acknowledge that these and my previous comments have been made without any knowledge of any proposed changes.
I just fear the worst.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 20:09 (Ref:3065120)   #48
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter - I also prefer the new Snet 300 course to the power circuit that it was - I find it a real challenge, but Cadwell is definitely a fantastic circuit and I always look forward to racing there, so if JP is reading, please leave it as it is!
Old 25 Apr 2012, 11:28 (Ref:3065325)   #49
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
McMuttley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson View Post

Another example of images altered through photoshop. The giveaway is pic 17 - there is no way Dick Dixon would be (i) so far from the back of the grid and (ii) on the blackstuff in the wet. Very neatly done though, you cant see the joins.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 12:13 (Ref:3065350)   #50
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That FF start pic is the second half of the grid...leaders are out of view! the only photoshopping was the crop tool to cut the size of each pic