Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 5 Oct 2008, 19:17 (Ref:2304880)   #26
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well in tough economic times like we're having in the US, the IRS is going to do everything to get their hands on every cent owed.

It's funny... it seems like in the US you can argue yourself out of murder, rape, robbery, etc. But never out of tax evasion!
Old 6 Oct 2008, 00:13 (Ref:2305072)   #27
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder whose nose he got up????

Someone must have dobbed him.

Mike
Old 6 Oct 2008, 21:01 (Ref:2305633)   #28
Aloysius
Racer

Aloysius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems silly to me to use tax money to imprison someone for failing to pay taxes. Hopefully Helio can get this sorted out without any jail time. He has a great personality that Indycar really needs.

As for sponsor pressure, maybe it's just me but since Marlboro are still technically the Penske sponsor, I don't think they'd be to worried about damaging their reputation with tax evasion.
Old 6 Oct 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2305685)   #29
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloysius
Seems silly to me to use tax money to imprison someone for failing to pay taxes. Hopefully Helio can get this sorted out without any jail time. He has a great personality that Indycar really needs.

As for sponsor pressure, maybe it's just me but since Marlboro are still technically the Penske sponsor, I don't think they'd be to worried about damaging their reputation with tax evasion.

When revenues are down, you are not about to let revenues go down further.

Philip Morris doesn't need more negative publicity than they already get.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 10 Oct 2008, 22:06 (Ref:2308693)   #30
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news! Helio is allowed to race in Australia in a couple weeks! He has been granted permission from a Miami judge. I am so excited.

Here is a link to the article..

http://cbs4.com/local/Helio.Castrone....2.837534.html
Old 10 Oct 2008, 22:43 (Ref:2308712)   #31
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
You need a conviction to get into Australia anyway....
Old 11 Oct 2008, 22:41 (Ref:2309389)   #32
markpde
Rookie

European Union
Ayr, Scotland
markpde should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
You need a conviction to get into Australia anyway...
Well, that's taught me the difference between the Australian flag and the New Zealand flag (sorry!) - didn't think Australians told jokes against themselves, right enough...

You learn something every day...
Old 12 Oct 2008, 01:06 (Ref:2309468)   #33
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do the IRL want him to race though. Innocent untill proven guilty I agree but with such a cloud over his head, would/could the IRL do anything about not letting him run?
Old 12 Oct 2008, 01:30 (Ref:2309482)   #34
markpde
Rookie

European Union
Ayr, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Do the IRL want him to race though. Innocent untill proven guilty I agree but with such a cloud over his head, would/could the IRL do anything about not letting him run?
Fair question, but probably not - fact is, in most cultures, tax evasion = folk hero - even in America. Maybe just depends on whether the IRL represents the establishment...
Old 12 Oct 2008, 08:30 (Ref:2309883)   #35
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Well, that's taught me the difference between the Australian flag and the New Zealand flag (sorry!) - didn't think Australians told jokes against themselves, right enough...
Australia and New Zealand get along like England and Scotland.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2310174)   #36
markpde
Rookie

European Union
Ayr, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
Australia and New Zealand get along like England and Scotland.
Oh, I knew that - and NZ = Scotland! Just didn't know the difference between the flags (sorry again). Suppose I should stop using the European flag - folk might think I'm English...
Old 13 Oct 2008, 03:13 (Ref:2310697)   #37
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpde
Oh, I knew that - and NZ = Scotland!
What do the Scottish do with sheep?
Old 13 Oct 2008, 03:15 (Ref:2310698)   #38
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Needless to say, I really hope this is not true and Helio is found innocent.

However, if he's not I would be on the phone to Mr Montagny as soon as the judge's gavel comes down.

I really hope it doesn't come to that though.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 04:48 (Ref:2310748)   #39
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpde
Fair question, but probably not - fact is, in most cultures, tax evasion = folk hero - even in America. Maybe just depends on whether the IRL represents the establishment...
If I was running the IRL, I would let Helio race because he is innocent until proven guilty. Day-to-day business would go on until something concrete comes up.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 09:43 (Ref:2310966)   #40
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Needless to say, I really hope this is not true and Helio is found innocent.

However, if he's not I would be on the phone to Mr Montagny as soon as the judge's gavel comes down.

I really hope it doesn't come to that though.

Trials do not happen that quickly, Penske still has that Sam Hornish fellow in the stable and so i think Franck won't be getting a call anytime soon.

If Helio does need to be replaced you can bet that Penske will be looking internally with his ALMS program as well before he goes outside. If he goes outside, he can cast a very big net.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 18:54 (Ref:2311453)   #41
markpde
Rookie

European Union
Ayr, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
What do the Scottish do with sheep?
Shear them. And eat them. Honest... Mind you, with a username like that, you should know!
Old 14 Oct 2008, 17:01 (Ref:2312333)   #42
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Obviously I had a good laugh when I heard of this.

The IRS is pretty draconian in their belief to tax people worldwide. The best thing for fence climber to have done is to pay his tax on earnings then move the money overseas if it was such a problem. As far as I know he is still a Brazilian citizen.

I suspect he'll plead stupidity and ignorance but jail time and fines are coming. His career will likely be over in the USA.

Innocent until proven guilty, but it appears the IRS has been investigating for a few years and has their ducks in a row.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 23:57 (Ref:2316288)   #43
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605
If I was running the IRL, I would let Helio race because he is innocent until proven guilty. Day-to-day business would go on until something concrete comes up.
Well, he's being allowed to race in Surfers Paradise, which is a step in the right direction.

I hope he comes out of it OK, despite the gloomy predictions. I used to know him once upon a time and he seems to be just the same fun-loving and amusing guy now as he used to be, the difference being that back then he didn't have huge amounts of money to do silly things with. Allegedly.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 23:08 (Ref:2332794)   #44
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
The trial date for Helio Castroneves is set for March 2, 2009. Im hoping for the best.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 02:46 (Ref:2332873)   #45
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Wow - just before the season. That'll be interesting.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 13:11 (Ref:2334242)   #46
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Obviously Roger needs a fallback option, and Hornish and Montagny are the obvious choices. Depends how Sam gets on in NASCAR early in 2009, and perhaps on how competitive Ryan looks in testing.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 19:51 (Ref:2334490)   #47
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Roger will have it all in hand.
I doubt Helio, or his sister Katie, will be in prison. A financial arrangement will be worked out with the tax men and Helio will take better care of his affairs.

Penske racing will have thought it all through and if they need a substitute driver one has already been arranged.
Old 14 Nov 2008, 22:59 (Ref:2335092)   #48
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
I just saw on our local Indianapolis news that Penske tried to get the trial date moved up but the request was denied and it is still set for March 2, 2009.
Old 2 Mar 2009, 23:05 (Ref:2407695)   #49
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
Well, the jury selection was made today. It consists of 7 women and 5 men. They will hear opening statements from both the prosecutor and defense attorneys tomorrow.
Old 3 Mar 2009, 16:03 (Ref:2408203)   #50
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
I wonder if Helio will be able to race on weekends with the trial going on. I guess at best he will be missing Friday testings.

Or, perhaps the best thing is that Helio doesn't run this season and focus his attention on this trial.