Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jan 2010, 12:40 (Ref:2620982)   #26
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belatti View Post

In that pic it also looks like Ferrari are carrying most of the additional fuel in their sidepods.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 12:53 (Ref:2620985)   #27
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.O.F. View Post
Ah, I didn't think the change had been that small! well, at least they're slicks!
It's just the contact patch. From the head-on shot they're using the same front wheels, so that makes them look the same initially.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2620988)   #28
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Thinking back to 2003, it wasn't apparent then that Michelins front tyre was wider than it should have been.
That's probably because they weren't.

It's OK looking this Ferrari. Let's hope it is as successful as last years model.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2620990)   #29
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
It's just the contact patch. From the head-on shot they're using the same front wheels, so that makes them look the same initially.
Agreed. It's a similar sort of thing to the Michelin vs Bridgestone debacle back in 03.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 13:07 (Ref:2620993)   #30
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Yes, there could be one or two RedBull 'clones' this season.
I should think most of them will be. I expect McLaren and Mercedes will continue down the same route they were going down last year with a lower front end, but most of the rest will be RB5-esque (I know the VR-01 is, for a start). It's common sense to go down that route - it was fundamentally the best car

This is why RBR may struggle this year. With all the other teams copying their designs, they'll be swallowed up unless they make another big leap
Old 28 Jan 2010, 13:17 (Ref:2620996)   #31
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
obviously the cars are not to the same scale in the photos because if you measure the tread width the new cars is wider!
Old 28 Jan 2010, 13:18 (Ref:2620998)   #32
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post

It's OK looking this Ferrari. Let's hope it is as successful as last years model.
Yes, they've made it longer and fatter, which as we all know, means it will be much faster.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 13:27 (Ref:2621004)   #33
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
obviously the cars are not to the same scale in the photos because if you measure the tread width the new cars is wider!
Yes, I noticed that too.

In the picture the new cars front wing is 16 cms long from nose to outer edge, whereas the old cars is only 14.3 cms long. So deffo not to scale.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 14:43 (Ref:2621043)   #34
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yawn... uh hum... hey!! Whats this?!! F1 is back, my hibernation is over

The wheelbase is obviously longer, I did not think I would be able to notice it that much right off. As many have said already this year should be killer. I hope there are many cars fighting for the front row even more than the end of last year.
Alonso and Massa should be a good combination we will see what Massa is really worth now 'cause with Kimi we just did not have a steady measure.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 16:34 (Ref:2621102)   #35
WapFlap
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
WapFlap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport shows a spyshot from the new Williams, which also looks quite like a Red Bull car.

full article here: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81104
Old 28 Jan 2010, 16:38 (Ref:2621106)   #36
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the look of the Ferrari. If all of the teams - or a lot of them - copy Red Bull I still think Red Bull, as long as its changes are for the better, should be able to keep an element of advantage. They did it first!

The Williams looks nice. As ever with this team I just hope it is competitive. :-)
Old 28 Jan 2010, 16:42 (Ref:2621110)   #37
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
It's hard to judge from that photograph, but it does look more in proportion than the Ferrari. There is a rumour going around that one car in particular has barely increased its wheelbase at all!
Old 28 Jan 2010, 16:43 (Ref:2621111)   #38
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oooh! The teams seem to be getting even better at optimising designs for particular rule sets, thus making everything on the grid look the bloody same! About the only interesting thing I notice is the Brawn-ish complicated front wing endplate. Hopefully it will be a good challenger anyway.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 16:45 (Ref:2621112)   #39
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
When teams start letting computers optimize everything, then it should be no surprise that they turn out to be similar.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 16:49 (Ref:2621115)   #40
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Williams looks aggressive. Brawn-esque sidepods on there - severly undercut

I hope it's a winner. Williams haven't won for 5 years, and they've got a great, likeable line-up this year
Old 28 Jan 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2621140)   #41
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Barrichello says of testing:

"This year it will be even harder to judge over the winter due to the bigger fuel tanks throwing in another variable - we will have people running with very different levels of fuel during testing."

So the times will be even more all over the place than usual. Remember that there will probably be around 5-6 seconds difference in lap times from full tank to near empty tank. Something to bear in mind once testing gets underway.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 18:15 (Ref:2621164)   #42
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
I like the look of the Ferrari. If all of the teams - or a lot of them - copy Red Bull I still think Red Bull, as long as its changes are for the better, should be able to keep an element of advantage. They did it first!
I think so, too. That's why Adrian Newey is hanging back until the last minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
The Williams looks nice. As ever with this team I just hope it is competitive. :-)
I reckon they'll be in the top ten, which isn't bad when you think there are eight cars that you would expect to be at the sharp end right from the word go.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 00:05 (Ref:2621366)   #43
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Atlanta, via St. Pete Beach
DanShenise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess is McLaren if there is team out there with a car that didn't have to radically increase the wheelbase. They like agressively taking on new challenges.

One thing that I noticed is the rear wing end plates. My assumption was that the Red Bull was so good at the beginning of last year because the end plates extended to the reference plane. Only when the switched to the double deck diffuser, did they shorten them up. At the beginning of last season it was Brawn miles ahead of the field, but only a bit ahead of the Red Bulls who were also substantially quicker than the field. I'll be interested to see if this years Red Bull shows up with end plates that extend to the reference plane (acting as de facto part of the diffuser). Unless of course that is one of those little rules that get changed and aren't terribly well publicised.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 00:42 (Ref:2621377)   #44
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Just a thought, but looking at the wheelbase on that Ferrari makes me wonder just how effective the cars will be at getting around Loews hairpin!
Old 29 Jan 2010, 01:14 (Ref:2621389)   #45
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I think so, too. That's why Adrian Newey is hanging back until the last minute. .
The thing about Adrian is that you tend to think the only car that doesn't look like last years Red Bull will be this years Red Bull
Old 29 Jan 2010, 08:18 (Ref:2621493)   #46
92scotland
Racer

United Kingdom
92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry if this has already been said but by the looks of things the McLaren will also look like the RedBull.Here is a pic of the tub:twitpic.com/zolnu/full
Old 29 Jan 2010, 08:25 (Ref:2621496)   #47
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Ahhh it's a shame all the cars look like their going to be clones this year lol

Selby
Old 29 Jan 2010, 10:28 (Ref:2621559)   #48
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92scotland View Post
Sorry if this has already been said but by the looks of things the McLaren will also look like the RedBull.Here is a pic of the tub:twitpic.com/zolnu/full
Geez McLaren are gonna be red-faced when they get to Valencia and realize why they're so far off the pace. They forgot to put wheels on it!
Old 29 Jan 2010, 10:35 (Ref:2621563)   #49
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Apparently it's only the front end the teams will be copying, with the V nose. The rest of the car, the intricate details of it, will be more Brawn-esque as the RB5's rear was actually quite aerodynamically inefficient
Old 29 Jan 2010, 10:45 (Ref:2621567)   #50
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
http://carlaunch.mclaren.com/

Launch link for McLaren - will be unveiled at 11am GMT

Selby