Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 28 Jul 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2258799)   #26
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was funny watching that last night, made me think of the F1 farce of a few years ago and remembered that they'd "diamond cut" the surface or something. to not test was just stupid, the amount of rubber coming off those tyres was shocking. be interesting to see how the US public react to that compared to the f1, as far as i could see it was almost as bad apart from NASCAR know how to put on a show, despite the issue
Old 28 Jul 2008, 08:16 (Ref:2258802)   #27
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The race was a joke, and I am not going to give it the dignity of talking about it further. The IndyCar race at Edmonton was not the most exciting in the world, but at least Firestone brought enough tires.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 08:18 (Ref:2258806)   #28
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I missed the race, saw Ambrose came 22nd & finished on the lead lap - thats a good drive. did he rub anyone up the wrong way
Old 28 Jul 2008, 08:18 (Ref:2258805)   #29
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I missed the race, saw Ambrose came 22nd & finished on the lead lap - thats a good drive. did he rub anyone up the wrong way
Old 28 Jul 2008, 09:39 (Ref:2258853)   #30
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
No, he drove great ... first qually then the race. Lots of good guys behind him ... and, for once, he had good stops mostly. Now for the short tracks and the flat ovals!
Old 28 Jul 2008, 09:51 (Ref:2258857)   #31
col49
Rookie

Australia
sydney
col49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got up early this morning to watch the 'race', not sure if it was worth it. The F1 farce kept poping into my mind.
Planning on being at next years race, hope they sort this one out. Long way to come from Sydney for what ever I watched this morning
Old 28 Jul 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2258955)   #32
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I notice that people have been referring to this event as a race. I would like to ask that we stop calling it a race, and begin to refer to it as a debacle. I am certainly glad that I did not hop a plane, fly to Indiana, spend money on a hotel room, purchase race tickets, and take time off work to witness this debacle in person. Sadly, it appears as if 250,000 people did.

How, in this day and age, can a "leading" tire company such as Goodyear allow this to happen? Why did they not test the tire? Were they so arrogant to believe that they could figure it out without any track time? And why all the defense of Goodyear from the drivers and crew chiefs? NASCAR must have had a "sit-down" with the drivers after all of the complaints earlier in the year about the tires, kindly asking them "not to be too hard on Goodyear" on national television.

I was looking forward to this debacle, before it turned in to one. IMS is a great circuit and it deserves better than what we witnessed on Sunday. If Firestone can make tires that can handle the surface for 40 laps at 225 mph, surely you would think that Goodyear can design tires that can last for more than 12 laps at 150 through the corners.

I think it's time that we re-introduced tire competition in NASCAR. I'm sure that there is an abundance of companies who would love to have a shot at showcasing their technology to the most watched form of motorsport in North America. If Goodyear is not up to the task (which they have not been all year long), let someone else come in and show that they can do a better job. NASCAR fans should never again have to witness a clown-around like this again.

Maybe we could also change the name of this thread to "The Allstate 17.5 at The Brickyard". Good show, boys.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 14:59 (Ref:2259078)   #33
V8thunderfan
Rookie

Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
V8thunderfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok .. yup it was a debacle. But you have to give it to the drivers and teams out there.. The show must go on attitude kicked in pretty quickly.
Most F1 outfits would have been packing the trailer at the slightest sniff of a tire issue.. blind stupidity in the face of the risk of losing a tire at full speed in a turn .. maybe it shows the faith the drivers have in the CoT that losing a tire and clattering the wall at 150 is no biggy ..whatever.. but they didn't loose sight of the fact that there was a hell of a lot of people who made the effort to come and watch.
I was disgusted watching the thing unfold on TV BUT .. 24 hours since the debacle I think NASCAR, Goodyear and all the teams made the best of a bad situation. There was never anything that could be done about the tires after the race had started. Sure they should have done their home work and yup a huge company with as much racing experience as Goodyear should have brought a tire up to the job. Its not the first tire issue by a long shot but I think the media stink from this one should prompt action .. in fairness NASCAR aren't the sort of organisation to sit on their hands after a poor show.

I guess we will only know if they did this time next year.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 16:39 (Ref:2259137)   #34
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
No, he drove great ... first qually then the race. Lots of good guys behind him ... and, for once, he had good stops mostly. Now for the short tracks and the flat ovals!
You know, tracks don't really get flatter than IMS.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 18:23 (Ref:2259168)   #35
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Oh, and since they only ran about 16 laps at a time, every restart should have been double file.
Old 28 Jul 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2259212)   #36
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
You know, tracks don't really get flatter than IMS.
And he's done a season of Trucks and two seasons of Nationwide so he's done the high banked tracks a fair few times as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcat
I think it's time that we re-introduced tire competition in NASCAR. I'm sure that there is an abundance of companies who would love to have a shot at showcasing their technology to the most watched form of motorsport in North America. If Goodyear is not up to the task (which they have not been all year long), let someone else come in and show that they can do a better job. NASCAR fans should never again have to witness a clown-around like this again.
Agree. Lets see who can make the best tyres.

I reckon Hooiser and BF Goodrich would be in there first if it opened up what with Hoosier supplying testing tyres and ARCA and Goodrich supplying USAR.

And another thing - lets open up fuel supply to competition.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 29 Jul 2008, 16:56 (Ref:2259725)   #37
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm for a little competition in tires. however, there is already enough gripes and complaints about how one make of car has an advantage over the other. more the one tire manufacturer and fuel supplier will just open the door for more competitive advantage whines...seems there is plenty of that already.

it is time for a change. Goodyear has less than impressive for the last two years and down right terrible this year. I once had faith they would correct their issues, but have totally lost all good thoughts of their tires this weekend. Michilen messed up big once, and were outstead from F1.

bring on the Hoosiers. let Goodyear make tires for Hooters Pro Cup, ASA and the like.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 17:08 (Ref:2259729)   #38
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pro Cup and ASA run on BFG's (Michelin). Also the need speedcar series runs on a Michelin stock car style tire.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 17:34 (Ref:2259745)   #39
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424
Pro Cup and ASA run on BFG's (Michelin). Also the need speedcar series runs on a Michelin stock car style tire.
whoever makes tires for those series is beside the point...Goodyear needs to go back to a lesser series because they have forgot how to make tires for Cup stockcars.

This past weekend's should make that obvious.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 21:25 (Ref:2259899)   #40
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79
whoever makes tires for those series is beside the point...Goodyear needs to go back to a lesser series because they have forgot how to make tires for Cup stockcars.

This past weekend's should make that obvious.
Exactly, its also the same reason they are out of F1, ALMS/Le Mans, and WoO. They just have forgotten how to make good tires.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 23:36 (Ref:2259997)   #41
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the continuing fight amongst the teams was great, those 10 lap shootouts weren't so bad...
but what a disaster, why not let them run and lift to conserve rubber?
or is it that Goodyear brought the wrong compound.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 02:26 (Ref:2260028)   #42
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like the big kids are fussin' to fix it..........

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...86/1004/SPORTS

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...S0109/80729051
Old 30 Jul 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2260286)   #43
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
i'm not entirely sure NASCAR should apologize for Goodyear's tires (good PR move tho). I'm sure the testing rules NASCAR has in place and the CoT have contributed to this issue, but how many years has Goodyear been making tires? how long has IMS been open?

for the first time since that faithful day in mid summer of 2005; i whole heartedly agree w/ TG.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 12:50 (Ref:2260288)   #44
V8thunderfan
Rookie

Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
V8thunderfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR make changes to testing..

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69516
Old 30 Jul 2008, 18:08 (Ref:2260438)   #45
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
maybe i am bit naive, but NASCAR is really to be covering for Goodyear's mistake, IMO.

Goodyear and NASCAR must be REALLY tight. lots of money tied up, i guess.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 19:00 (Ref:2260476)   #46
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Today I watched the "race". What a joke.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 13:59 (Ref:2260993)   #47
f1toy
Racer

f1toy is a back marker
weird weekend.
everyone could see what was coming.
but they kept a max face and said the track would 'rubber in'.
best part. even tony kept quiet. i guess becoming an owner changes things.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 14:40 (Ref:2261025)   #48
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The tire testing team sounds like a good idea if NASCAR wants to apologize for others mistakes. Not fair to the fans for NASCAR to take the blame though, they should be pushing Goodyear to admit a mistake and Goodyear, or whoever bids next, should be demanding tire test days anytime the racing surface changes. Not simulations or anything else but physical contact with tire on track on the current chassis.
Didn't see Bernie or anybody else taking the flack for Michelin at Indy, and doubt they would if Bridgestone arrived with a poor choice in both compunds; so why did NASCAR? They seem a little to close to Goodyear.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 02:47 (Ref:2261388)   #49
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yesterday NASCAR said sorry, no refunds, it wasn't Goodyears fault, same old same old. Just more nails in NASCARS coffin.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 07:41 (Ref:2261464)   #50
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can understand the no refunds bit. At least some sort of show was put on for the fans and all the teams took part in what turned out to be lots of sprint races. Not like the F1 debacle when 2/3's of the field withdrew.

The thing I can't understand is why NASCAR has constantly defended Goodyear. In almost every other race series in the world the organisers would have been publicly blaming the tyre company and pulling out all the stops to reassure people that it will never happen again.