Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 24 May 2009, 16:01 (Ref:2468310)   #26
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
A good quiet day at Lodge. A lot of 'how the did he get away with that!' moments in the Caterham races; tomorrow, however, is another day. . .

Oddest moment of the day was recovering a rear light lens from Ken Bostock's truck: 'that driver needs to keep the rope tight'. . . twang!!!!

Congrats, Pit Bull - you're one of the big boys now!
Old 24 May 2009, 18:57 (Ref:2468372)   #27
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
similar quiet day on Druids too, a few spins and a pant wetting moment as we feared the RX7 and TVR were going to make an almighty mess, but other than that just some cracking racing. Last Caterham race was the pick of the bunch, but all kept us entertained. Interesting to see how quick those G50s were too, will make for a good rae next weekend
Old 24 May 2009, 19:01 (Ref:2468374)   #28
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But no one has mentioned the strangest incident of the day. The marshal who put his car into the gravel trap whilst driving to post at druids! Just who was that (trainee?) marshal?

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 25 May 2009, 11:02 (Ref:2468690)   #29
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahem, yes well it was a damn funny way to start your day and for the poor trainee, his life as a marshal. Not sure of his name, but he was learning flags with us on Druids and had asked where to park. On being told behind post and seeing a couple of guys already use the hard standing to get there, for some reason he didn't see the correct path and drove straight in the the gravel trap. I'm afraid the incident couldn't go undocumented so i grabbed a few pictures as the recovery crew were given an early warm up

Old 26 May 2009, 07:31 (Ref:2469256)   #30
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any idea who won the experience day? I had to leave after my race for a penny farthing ride in France...
Old 26 May 2009, 11:13 (Ref:2469386)   #31
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VERY eventful day at island saturday! thanks to all the team who kept things going
Old 26 May 2009, 17:13 (Ref:2469628)   #32
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
Ahem, yes well it was a damn funny way to start your day and for the poor trainee, his life as a marshal.
There had to be somebody there to take pictures!

He can take some consolation from the fact that he's not the first & probably not the last. It is difficult to differentiate between the road & the gravel trap - if I remember correctly, wasn't there a strip of grass between them before the gravel trap was extended?

Something nobody's mentioned: thanks to BARC for the cloth badges commemorating 25 years of my favourite championship!
Old 26 May 2009, 17:24 (Ref:2469632)   #33
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
There had to be somebody there to take pictures!
Thought that was a little unethical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post

Something nobody's mentioned: thanks to BARC for the cloth badges commemorating 25 years of my favourite championship!
Absolutely! Nice badge and a crackin' championship!
Old 26 May 2009, 21:00 (Ref:2469787)   #34
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
... I'm afraid the incident couldn't go undocumented ...
Not sure you made the right decision there. Even some thicker-skinned, experienced lads might take objection to having their number plates publicized, and I'm not sure whether publicizing a brand new marshal's first cock-up on an international forum helps with recruitment.
Old 26 May 2009, 21:00 (Ref:2469788)   #35
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
fair point, i can't edit that post now tho... :S

one might say you need a seriously good sense of humour to be a marshal, helps you get through those not so entertaining championships and put up with all the skies can throw at you too
Old 26 May 2009, 21:05 (Ref:2469791)   #36
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Funny Though !
Old 26 May 2009, 21:54 (Ref:2469856)   #37
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
Urgentemente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't speak for the guy personally, but he was a few places ahead of me at signon on monday for the BRSCC meet and one of his friends pointed it out to Nadine, and he was having a laugh about it, he didn't seem to be in any distress about it.

Maybe just edit the pics and blank the reg plates out..

Must admit it's something I worried about first time out on track going to post, not so much driving across, but somehow ending up in the gravel (some random worst possible moment brake failure) or just breaking down on circuit and causing aggro!
Old 26 May 2009, 22:42 (Ref:2469886)   #38
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
couple of things, first, the trainee. as long as he sees the funny side of it iam sure he will make a good marshal, as was said, half the job is being able to have a laugh. at least he has a story for the night time drink sessions.

2nd, good day at island. god knows how the f reno in practice took out so much of the barrier, it didnt look that quick and also, heart goes out to the unlcuky caterham driver who lost it goin in, went to turn round on the grass and got well collected. felt sorry for him. apart from that, as usual, great time on post with some very good laughs through the day
Old 16 Jun 2009, 17:58 (Ref:2484665)   #39
Pete LMC
Racer

England
Crosby Liverpool
Pete LMC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
Not sure you made the right decision there. Even some thicker-skinned, experienced lads might take objection to having their number plates publicized, and I'm not sure whether publicizing a brand new marshal's first cock-up on an international forum helps with recruitment.
To put all of your minds at ease, the Newbie has been Marshaling since November 2007, covering Numerous Rally's Including Night Ones, Numerous Sprint Days at 3 Sisters Wigan and Numerous Sprint and Track Days at The Home of The First British Grand Prix the World Famous Aintree Circuit , and this Saturday wil be my 8th Race Event at Oulton this year.

I personaly took it in all Good Spirit, and if it made a " Few Marshal's Smile So Much the Better " the only thing that I was concerned about was if I would get a Bl***y Bill for the Tow Truck Services.