Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 19 Apr 2004, 07:17 (Ref:943806)   #26
graham blackwell
Rookie

graham blackwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheila M
What about the people who sprint their road cars? They do it for the simple reason that it is CHEAP motor sport. I assume that you are in the "higher echelons" of the sport as I can't imagine anyone attending a "clubbie" sprint making such a fuss.

Yes, there will always be problems with timing, but in your case - on the day what exactly did you do about it? Did you speak to the Clerk of the Course to find out what could be done?
Higher echelons? Only my 2nd season, but I'm one of those who is trying to make a difference, at all levels, be it publicising the sport, encouraging people on the day, chatting with the marshals, and generally getting as much out of the day as possible, whilst trying to keep it at the sensible 'fun' level.

Yes, I did speak to the Clerk of the Course, but it was very chaotic, and I had to suggest they let me re-run after lunch (out of turn) to record a time to get me my 1st timed run back (albeit slower, in the rain soaked track).

I'm making a fuss as I can see an area for improvement. If I can make a difference, then I will.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 11:42 (Ref:944021)   #27
james_williams
Racer

james_williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graham,

I think its great to hear someone wanting to improve our sport. But to want to change/improve something to make a difference you have to have a plan so that others will listen. Sorry, a couple of questions again....

What would be your proposal for improvement to the current timing system? (Type of system etc)

How would you implement it and encourage it to be used by all organising clubs and competitors?

What are the advantages of this new system?

Any disadvantages?

How accurate is it?

What is the cost and who pays for it?

I'm not been funny, I am just interested to hear your thoughts.

Regards
Old 19 Apr 2004, 11:49 (Ref:944039)   #28
graham blackwell
Rookie

graham blackwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
8) I'm just interested in hearing everyone's opinion at the moment. It seems as though most are happy with the timing lights system, and are happy that sometimes, their times are lost due to errors, but apparently thats part of sprinting. If no one else seems bothered about changing the system, then I'll just have to stick with my GPS data to satisfy my curiosity when things go awry.

I'll have a chat with a few companies though, to see if the introduction of a more reliable system is feasible. I'm aim to be sprinting/hillclimbing for many years to come, and therefore I won't be the only one to benefit from the introduction of a more reliable system.

Its just as you've highlighted, down to costs and accuracy at the end of the day. Lets just hope the candles in the lanterns don't blow out at Curborough next weekend
Old 19 Apr 2004, 14:12 (Ref:944201)   #29
james_williams
Racer

james_williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The more information obtained the better. Sounds interesting though if something else could work. I would be interested to hear the outcome of your investigations. Keep us informed

Make sure the hamsters are still turning in their wheels at Curborough!!