Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Mar 2007, 11:50 (Ref:1864551)   #26
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
timing is strictly not allowed on track days, but theres always someone watching somewhere who can count accurately !

I didn't actually know it was a track day and not a test day until we got there. its always advertised such that you'd think it was a test day.

apparently the track has been resurfaced and is now quicker than it was, hence the times coming down as the 1:35 ( unoffical) is the quickest he'd ever been by a full second.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 12:24 (Ref:1864571)   #27
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The light blue Cobra was thrown through Woodcote with some gusto on a couple of laps. Having marshalled that corner several times I was impressed / concerned about approach speeds – then I learnt Reid was on board!

Other cars of interest were:

A gorgeous Bizarrini (spelling?)
A Rae Davis mini
Ivor Miller Mini Marcos
A pair of Marcos
Some Elvas – my lack of knowledge would get shown up on those.
At least two immaculate and fast Sebring Midgets. A smattering of MGAs
Two Mustangs
Cortina (see above)
Two Imps. Both working, a very rare sight.
A pair of Porsches
Lotus XI
Some things that I didn’t know what they were. Jeff Bloxham was taking photos, so perhaps he’ll post images on his website sometime?

The American tow car was the best thing in the paddock, what cc did it have? Very cool indeed.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 12:54 (Ref:1864597)   #28
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
timing is strictly not allowed on track days, but theres always someone watching somewhere who can count accurately !

I didn't actually know it was a track day and not a test day until we got there. its always advertised such that you'd think it was a test day.

apparently the track has been resurfaced and is now quicker than it was, hence the times coming down as the 1:35 ( unoffical) is the quickest he'd ever been by a full second.
Its pretty tough to police anyway - every mobile phone made since the early 90's has a stopwatch on it and you can't exactly ban mobile phones!!! Must apologise - I didn't mean to bring the heat on your friend, was just commenting. I wouldn't have any problem with it anyway, but I guess they want to keep things in hand so no one gets carried away.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 13:07 (Ref:1864606)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lap times at many circuits vary. I recall trying a new cam at Mallory Park and recorded my fastest ever lap (to that time) but the cam didn't work properly so we changed it for something more radical (the one I use now) and the next time we went there we were .5secs slower. However everyone else, without exception, that day was .5 secs or more slower than their usual time.

I'd be surprised if track surface really plays a major part at our level, much more likely to be weather/humidity. Remember our tyres aren't really that super sticky so it would have to be a radical surface change to make any big differences.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 15:22 (Ref:1864718)   #30
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
its been coated with that rubber tennis court stuff Peter

the driver mentioned is a test driver, and used to instruct at Goodwood so I think its safe to say he knows the place a little better than us
Old 15 Mar 2007, 09:52 (Ref:1867112)   #31
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel
The light blue Cobra was thrown through Woodcote with some gusto on a couple of laps. Having marshalled that corner several times I was impressed / concerned about approach speeds – then I learnt Reid was on board!

Other cars of interest were:

A gorgeous Bizarrini (spelling?)
A Rae Davis mini
Ivor Miller Mini Marcos
A pair of Marcos
Some Elvas – my lack of knowledge would get shown up on those.
At least two immaculate and fast Sebring Midgets. A smattering of MGAs
Two Mustangs
Cortina (see above)
Two Imps. Both working, a very rare sight.
A pair of Porsches
Lotus XI
Some things that I didn’t know what they were. Jeff Bloxham was taking photos, so perhaps he’ll post images on his website sometime?

The American tow car was the best thing in the paddock, what cc did it have? Very cool indeed.
what is his website address? thx
Old 15 Mar 2007, 10:18 (Ref:1867133)   #32
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
www.jeffbloxham.com
Old 15 Mar 2007, 12:51 (Ref:1867237)   #33
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
well I can't find a link to anything on there