Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 25 May 2015, 13:37 (Ref:3541047)   #576
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Didnt they say the same thing about the Continental?
But the Continental GT3 car has a V8 heart in it! So, it would be wise if they use that engine instead of tuning the W12.
Old 25 May 2015, 23:07 (Ref:3541222)   #577
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
But the Continental GT3 car has a V8 heart in it! So, it would be wise if they use that engine instead of tuning the W12.
Im speaking of a prototype, itd be nice to see something unique powering it. And the W12 is more compact than a V12, but the turbos on the roadcar version and its size would probably weigh a lot.
Old 26 May 2015, 02:46 (Ref:3541259)   #578
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the Mazda Diesels P2 engine will be banned from lemans, but I don't think they are banned in IMSA, even so I don't think those tiny diesels can produce more then 400 hp without something breaking.
Old 27 May 2015, 01:56 (Ref:3541627)   #579
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
So the Mazda Diesels P2 engine will be banned from lemans, but I don't think they are banned in IMSA, even so I don't think those tiny diesels can produce more then 400 hp without something breaking.
Those Mazda Diesels should be banned from IMSA with the way they have performed. Considering the new P2 engine is going to be around 500 hp I would think that it was on its way out anyways.
Old 27 May 2015, 02:41 (Ref:3541631)   #580
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Diesel in P2 isn't allowed already. Article 5.1.1, 5.1.2.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 27 May 2015, 03:00 (Ref:3541635)   #581
Rcz
Veteran

United States
The Mazda Diesel were ok for that GX class for touring cars, but are not strong enough for protos.

I do believe they should allow diesels in IMSA P2 but hopefully something more reliable. Like a V6 3liter or a Audi V8 4liter turbo diesel.
Old 28 May 2015, 03:43 (Ref:3541964)   #582
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Mazda Diesel were ok for that GX class for touring cars, but are not strong enough for protos.

I do believe they should allow diesels in IMSA P2 but hopefully something more reliable. Like a V6 3liter or a Audi V8 4liter turbo diesel.
An inline 4 can be powerful enough,just mazdas isn't anywhere near reliable so the don't push it.at this point anything can be more reliable than the mazda,and fyi inline Diesel engines are far more reliable than V engines.
Old 28 May 2015, 08:38 (Ref:3542012)   #583
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Actually I think it's the opposite, their too powerful. They often destroy something in the driveline or something in the gearbox because of that torque. Somebody said on this board the torque of a Inline engine has more tension in its drive shaft then a V type. Could somebody confirm.

Either way I hope someone continues with a Diesel in the series. The more diversity, the better.
Old 28 May 2015, 11:57 (Ref:3542050)   #584
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seems that it's been ignored here... But.... PWC is set to have longer races with driver changes, and pit stops.

So, looks like the IMSA/PWC fight is on.... The Blancpain/SRO link might be detrimental to IMSA if they can promptly remove their heads from their respective derrières.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 28 May 2015, 13:37 (Ref:3542083)   #585
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a shame that nobody has put money on the Ricardo-Judd diesel engines. They had a base development done, but they needed money to continue. They made v10 and v8 diesel engines. Same with the Cat engine.

Here is an interview with Dave Morrison from Ricardo
http://archive.dailysportscar.com/su...ardodiesel.htm
Old 28 May 2015, 13:48 (Ref:3542089)   #586
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
I expect an IMSA announcement about their GT3 sprint plans this weekend.

no secret sources, just my gut feeling.

And I don't believe IMSA will be even slightly worried by PWC's plans - just like PWC isn't about IMSA's either. Both series go by demand of their current customers - which in some occasions will be the same - and new prospects (which could include 1 or 2 from Europe). The GT3 market is big enough for more than 1 series, it sounds like the newly announced PWC X GT series (not a great name for a racing series at all...) is aiming for those manufactures that actively want to support their GT3 product (McLaren, Nissan, Cadillac?, Bentley?, Lexus?, etc.) instead of focusing solely on the amateur drivers (which is what the IMSA sprint series is rumored to aim at).

All in all it seems WC Vision (PWC) is very much trying to secure their 'claim' on GT sprint racing, so far opting to leave endurance racing out of the equitation. Which is a shame imo as NA would really do well with a blue riband stand alone GT3 enduro a la Spa, Nurburgring or Bathurst.
Old 28 May 2015, 18:36 (Ref:3542171)   #587
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Seems that it's been ignored here... But.... PWC is set to have longer races with driver changes, and pit stops.

So, looks like the IMSA/PWC fight is on.... The Blancpain/SRO link might be detrimental to IMSA if they can promptly remove their heads from their respective derrières.
Ten min longer and a single driver change like in BSS.

So really not that much different, especially if a FCY is thrown in.
Old 28 May 2015, 18:51 (Ref:3542179)   #588
Rcz
Veteran

United States
They can call it: IMSA GT Classic.

100 miles long races.

Two classes:
GTO and GTU
Old 28 May 2015, 19:18 (Ref:3542201)   #589
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well beside the great racing this weekend I expect a bunch of Scuttlebutt to be making the rounds within the pits . Quite sure we will be receiving more info sometime during the week-end as further " PLANS " for both Org's are divulged .

I am sure many on here would love to see a dedicated 24 hour race for GT 3 's A La Spa .
Old 28 May 2015, 22:06 (Ref:3542273)   #590
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
A separate 24H race for GT3s + other GTs (no GTLM/GTE) and silhouettes/tube frame cars) will be too much of a stretch at this point - I would start with a 4 or 6 hour or 500 miles enduro and possibly - but not necessarily - expand from there.

Probably not gonna happen anytime soon though.
Old 29 May 2015, 00:07 (Ref:3542302)   #591
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coach Ep : Yes you are right that would be the best way to start out the GT 3's in Endurence Racing here in the USA .then see where the class is at say 6-7 years down the road and Go for It .
I guess we can still Dream of such things
Old 29 May 2015, 01:13 (Ref:3542320)   #592
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Ten min longer and a single driver change like in BSS.

So really not that much different, especially if a FCY is thrown in.
Not really the point. It's clearly a shot at IMSA's plan for a GT3 sprint series.
Old 29 May 2015, 01:16 (Ref:3542322)   #593
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MSR to......... Lexus?

Interesting team noted in the article... MSR? I can't imagine for a second it'd be "in addition to" a P2 program. I'm betting that it would be "in replacement of"

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/11730...aking-progress

Not saying it happens... Just an interesting notation of the named teams.
Old 29 May 2015, 01:22 (Ref:3542323)   #594
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Lexus did like Grand Am back in the day, I like to see a GTE version sometime, and maybe a Proto version.
Old 29 May 2015, 01:26 (Ref:3542325)   #595
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hey, the more the merrier!
Old 29 May 2015, 01:48 (Ref:3542326)   #596
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Lexus has had a GT3 car testing for a while, but I can't imagine Shank going into the tin-tops. He's always run "prototypes" of some kind or another.

It has to be noted, however, that MSR's DPs used to be powered by Lexus/Toyota V8 engines like those found in the SC430, IS-F, and other Lexus sedans and Lexus and Toyota SUVs and trucks.

And it also has to be remembered that TMG in Cologne was looking at using that basic engine for a basis for a LMP2 engine, doing just as Nissan did with the VK45 Super GT V8 (only retain the basic block and heads, and throw everything else away, and even us a flatplane crank as opposed to the crossplane crank of the production engine). Nothing much has been heard from that project for about a year now, though.
Old 29 May 2015, 02:16 (Ref:3542333)   #597
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As WEC P2 is going to spec engines, TUSC could be a cheap way (no need to travel around the world) to show a brand to all the world. Several brands could see an opportunity to fight for a win in very important events like Daytona and Sebring without the need to spend hundred of millions.

Everybody argue about Mazda and their diesel didn't released at US, but TUSC races are showed to people all around the world.
Old 29 May 2015, 02:43 (Ref:3542339)   #598
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought Brumos seemed an odd candidate with their long long history with Porsche, but they have a couple Lexus dealerships now so it would make sense I guess. Brumos Lexus just sounds strange to me, but then again so would Brumos Mercedes.
Old 29 May 2015, 02:46 (Ref:3542341)   #599
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Well, look to Joest. It was a Porsche team for years, and now they run the Audi team.
Old 29 May 2015, 04:29 (Ref:3542374)   #600
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The RC F has an awesome sound. It should be more competitive by the time these guys pick it up. Interesting to read the amount of interest in the car. But Lexus' main market is the U.S.