Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10 Aug 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2938023)   #626
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I think you are right on the money here.
I used to watch a lot of cricket, then half the matches went off to pay TV and I did not follow. The result is that I began to miss a lot of the discussion and commentary that took place around the pay matches and I no longer new the nuances of what was going on around the national side.

The action then somehow began to feel incomplete, as I was missing half the matches, and now I no longer watch any cricket at all!

It is not something I have done deliberately, but it has represented the end of my involvement with a sport I both played as a kid and loved to idle away some time watching and listening to on TV, usually on in the background while I was doing something else, watch wickets fall etc.

Now I just really can't be bothered, I miss it, but it is just not the same!
I can see what happened to you happening with F1 viewing numbers.

Where are the new casual viewers going to come from who are tommorow's dedicated fans??
Answers please from FOM FOTA etc
Old 10 Aug 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2938086)   #627
orouge
Rookie

Scotland
Norfolk
orouge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the BBC is going to show 'half' the GP's can we be told if it will be the first half or the last half ? (of each race)
Old 10 Aug 2011, 20:08 (Ref:2938252)   #628
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by orouge View Post
If the BBC is going to show 'half' the GP's can we be told if it will be the first half or the last half ? (of each race)
I think they are showing half of the races, not half of each race.
Old 10 Aug 2011, 21:08 (Ref:2938279)   #629
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC2guy View Post
I'm not sure of the difference between F1 going to Sky, and other mediums. For instance, Autosport have had a lot to say on this matter, but to read what they say, you have to pay for the internet to view their "free" site & read titbits, but if you want a more in depth report about it, subscribe to their site, or pay for their magazine ( like paying for Sky ).
I find it disgraceful that Autosport charge for their coverage!
Old 10 Aug 2011, 22:42 (Ref:2938299)   #630
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I saw something advertised on Sky tonight. Wasn't paying too much attention, so can't remember exactly what it said, but it made me think that if I paid a Sky Sports subscription I would be able to watch all their sports channels on, say, my iPad at no extra cost.

Did anyone else see that or know more accurately what I'm guessing at?
Old 10 Aug 2011, 22:49 (Ref:2938300)   #631
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I think they are showing half of the races, not half of each race.
Yes, of course it's ten races apiece and I have even seen an article suggesting how they might be divided. I'll try to find it.

The idea was that the BBC would pick three (they mentioned Silverstone, Monaco and another blue riband round), then Sky would pick three and so on in turn, although 20 isn't divisible by three.
Old 10 Aug 2011, 23:02 (Ref:2938302)   #632
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Sky are showing half, and the Beeb are showing half plus half of the other half !

I got the idea originally that the BBC would cover the blue riband events that are popular amongst the wider community of casual viewers, and Sky would be left with the duds such as Valencia and Korea that are only watched by diehards and tragics such as us. I don't know if the BBC has first pick of all the Sunday afternoon races or not, leaving Sky with the weird timezone flyaway races ??
Old 10 Aug 2011, 23:45 (Ref:2938311)   #633
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
You must have too much money Or none left at all

Well your TV package works out about roughly £50, not bad, i pay £72 (although that is Sky multiroom and HD), thats on top of the annual TV licence. (£145.50 per year)

I have you on the internet, you pay £29, i pay £8, although i have to pay my phone line rental (£12 per month i think???)

I also have you on mobile, you pay £61.50, i pay £10, although, admittedly, i have no internet access on that.
So all I am trying to illustrate Scott is that in the USA if you want to watch TV, have 15MPS internet, and say a couple of movie channels, a couple of sports channels and own an iPhone which I do..Then that is what it is going to cost each month..
Old 11 Aug 2011, 00:56 (Ref:2938327)   #634
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
I don't know if the BBC has first pick of all the Sunday afternoon races or not, leaving Sky with the weird timezone flyaway races ??
Can't see the Canadian or US GPs getting a slot in the BBC schedule. Or the Brazilian GP, come to that. Most likely to show those races at around midnight. Some will be hoping that it doesn't go 'down to the wire', next season. Particularly as the US GP is now also confirmed for November 18th.

Last edited by Marbot; 11 Aug 2011 at 01:01.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 01:16 (Ref:2938331)   #635
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
So all I am trying to illustrate Scott is that in the USA if you want to watch TV, have 15MPS internet, and say a couple of movie channels, a couple of sports channels and own an iPhone which I do..Then that is what it is going to cost each month..
Yer mate, i realise that. I was just putting into perspective how much you have to pay for your access.

p.s, who's Scott?
Old 11 Aug 2011, 01:22 (Ref:2938332)   #636
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
The idea was that the BBC would pick three (they mentioned Silverstone, Monaco and another blue riband round), then Sky would pick three and so on in turn, although 20 isn't divisible by three.
Quite true, so Sky are welcome to have Valencia.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 02:23 (Ref:2938336)   #637
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yer mate, i realise that. I was just putting into perspective how much you have to pay for your access.

p.s, who's Scott?
Marbot..
Old 11 Aug 2011, 08:22 (Ref:2938393)   #638
GrahamH
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
GrahamH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the analogy with cricket is a good one. There are highlight shows on for one hour per evening here in the UK, and as a former keen viewer of test match cricket, I watch them if I remember they are on.

For me, once something stops being live, it ceases to be an "occasion" and thus I don't feel engaged with it.

I'm sad to say that after the BBC / Sky deal, I've already reached the same point with F1. I watched the highlights of the Hungarian GP, but without much enthusiasm. I suspect next year I might see the occasional race, but that's all.

So after watching F1 since the late 1970s, not being able to see a whole season on free-to-air TV is the last straw for me. The dull Schumacher era didn't put me off, nor the processional racing, not even the DRS gimmickry. The loss of the sense of an "event" though already has.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 09:42 (Ref:2938416)   #639
vkleita
Rookie

United Kingdom
vkleita should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I saw something advertised on Sky tonight. Wasn't paying too much attention, so can't remember exactly what it said, but it made me think that if I paid a Sky Sports subscription I would be able to watch all their sports channels on, say, my iPad at no extra cost.

Did anyone else see that or know more accurately what I'm guessing at?
I think you are referring to the sky player feature

Basically if you pay for Sky sports you can now watch it on your laptop or Iphone etc as they have app/ programs that allow you access.

It's free as in if you pay for sky sports you get the access yes.

problem for me is i cant afford to pay for the sky sports bit
Old 11 Aug 2011, 20:01 (Ref:2938645)   #640
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can i remind you that Brazil is at the mo the last race therefore BBC bound!
Old 11 Aug 2011, 22:29 (Ref:2938725)   #641
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkleita View Post
I think you are referring to the sky player feature

Basically if you pay for Sky sports you can now watch it on your laptop or Iphone etc as they have app/ programs that allow you access.

It's free as in if you pay for sky sports you get the access yes.

problem for me is i cant afford to pay for the sky sports bit
Thanks for clarifying that.

Ironically I've already started receiving phone calls from Sky, but they haven't progressed far enough for me to find out what they want to sell me (they only phone up for the purpose).

I'll make a decision about playing for Sky Sports nearer the time and check out the piggy bank situation.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 23:41 (Ref:2938743)   #642
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that.

Ironically I've already started receiving phone calls from Sky, but they haven't progressed far enough for me to find out what they want to sell me (they only phone up for the purpose).

I'll make a decision about playing for Sky Sports nearer the time and check out the piggy bank situation.
When we moved to out current house (nearly 4 years ago) we decided that in order to save a bit of money, we'd stop the sports and movies. I lasted 2 months! Can't live without Sky Sports i'm afraid!
Old 11 Aug 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2938748)   #643
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How else do you get to see the Poole Pirates go up against the Coventry Bees without actually being there
Old 12 Aug 2011, 00:59 (Ref:2938755)   #644
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
When we moved to out current house (nearly 4 years ago) we decided that in order to save a bit of money, we'd stop the sports and movies. I lasted 2 months! Can't live without Sky Sports i'm afraid!
Interesting that, because I gave up those two as well. I don't miss Movies at all, but if I have to be honest, I shall probably succumb to re-activating Sky Sports for the sake of seeing F1, but not until the last possible moment!
Old 12 Aug 2011, 01:14 (Ref:2938761)   #645
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I shall probably succumb to re-activating Sky Sports for the sake of seeing F1, but not until the last possible moment!
Wait for deal! There's always the last minute deal.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 09:49 (Ref:2938849)   #646
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Interesting that, because I gave up those two as well. I don't miss Movies at all, but if I have to be honest, I shall probably succumb to re-activating Sky Sports for the sake of seeing F1, but not until the last possible moment!
I didn't miss the movies either really, the sports and movies package was about 20 quid, whereas sports or movies on their own were about £16. Plus the missus said if i was having sports then she was having movies!
Old 13 Aug 2011, 09:05 (Ref:2939173)   #647
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
...and a big house in Wilmslow.

He can **** off!

garcon,
Wilmslow
Old 15 Aug 2011, 11:16 (Ref:2939891)   #648
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like my love of F1 will be drawing to a close. After seeing what that a-hole Murdoch has done to the media in the US, there is no way in hell I'm ever going to give him a dime to watch this.

Buh Bye F1, it was fun while it lasted.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 12:11 (Ref:2939929)   #649
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I reckon you are just the type of Sky viewer they are targeting and I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of deal for watching F1.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 14:25 (Ref:2939999)   #650
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Maybe you're right. I'm always open to a deal!
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky