Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Who's going?
Going 8 36.36%
Not sure 1 4.55%
Not going 13 59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Sep 2014, 12:59 (Ref:3456880)   #626
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
COTA reported an attendance of over 50,000 for Saturday. Think that included both rounds and doesn't indicate crossover (people who attended both races), and other factors, though.
Old 23 Sep 2014, 13:06 (Ref:3456884)   #627
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post

On a more event oriented note, has anyone seen what WEC claimed their attendance was? I could care less about who was there for TUSC vs. WEC, just whether WEC viewed attendance this year as an improvement, par for Austin, or if it was enough to make a difference in a still-unannounced 2015 return.
There were many more people than the previous year!
Old 23 Sep 2014, 13:13 (Ref:3456886)   #628
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Believe it was a little over 50,000 over two days (Friday+ Saturday), a fellow worker and friend of me (I wasn't there this year) told me the place looked very empty on Saturday afternoon/evening, maybe even worse than last year's Sunday!

Guess the crowd stuck around the vip units and in close proximity of start/finish.

Not overly positive I would say.
Old 23 Sep 2014, 19:46 (Ref:3456972)   #629
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
If theres room for 100,000 people. Even half that would look sparse. If its over two days, maybe not even a third of its capacity was filled on race day.
Old 23 Sep 2014, 20:05 (Ref:3456979)   #630
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Last year the low attendance for the WEC race was a very big item for Neveu. This year he has stated several times and explicitly (before and during the race) that WEC stays at CotA no matter what.

So it was all about running on the same day as Tudor (ALMS last year)? Suddenly the low number of 'ordinairy' spectators doesn't matter anymore as long as all the vip rooms are sold out?

disclaimer: all on the assumption attendance was as low as reported/perceived.
Old 23 Sep 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3456984)   #631
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rain probably won't help the COTA race, but I do feel they will be back next year.
Old 23 Sep 2014, 23:53 (Ref:3457029)   #632
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
I wonder if there will be a BOP update in GTE before Fuji.
What kind of question is that... there always is...

Anyway my thoughts of the race mainly center around crap officiating (non-penalties for same kind of incidents people get mad about USCC race control, retarded handling of red flag procedures, slow reactions, wrong radio messages). The race itself was okay ish I guess, particularly the P1 train prior rain and the economy run in the end, but the lackluster atmosphere and boring circuit didn't help.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 02:00 (Ref:3457053)   #633
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was p1$$ed off about the whole red-flag matter, but after reading Mr. Trusswell's analysis I have no problem with it. Otherwise, I really liked the firs 90 minutes and enjoyed the final four hours.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it more ... but I realize that if you posted here saying you enjoyed the event, no one would believe it was you.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 03:56 (Ref:3457072)   #634
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Imo, its not right that the cars that got pulled out of the gravel get to line up on track with a free tire change but those caught out already in the pits cant do anything but sit and go to the back of the line. Everything else was ok except the timing of the red flag. As soon as Conway was skating across the track and half a dozen others were going straight on in another turn, the red flag should have been called. Not sure why they waited.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 11:53 (Ref:3457158)   #635
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Imo, its not right that the cars that got pulled out of the gravel get to line up on track with a free tire change but those caught out already in the pits cant do anything but sit and go to the back of the line. Everything else was ok except the timing of the red flag. As soon as Conway was skating across the track and half a dozen others were going straight on in another turn, the red flag should have been called. Not sure why they waited.
I too was surprised that they waited. The turn 15 area was like a river. Amazing the 919 didn't plow into anyone on its run through the gravel.

Did you end up attending the race?
Old 24 Sep 2014, 12:38 (Ref:3457166)   #636
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race control was right up to IMSA's alley in the way how pathetic it was.

AMR bumping Krohn out of the way like DP - no acton. Fine whatever but Jeff Segal turning and driving the car the opposite way towards traffic (one GT car was coming right to him) and attempting a silly u-turn in the start finish straight - no action. That was LMPC level of idiocy right there and no-one seems to mind? Oh right since it's not USCC I guess criticism cannot exist.

The handling (or should I say how retarded the rules are in this case) of the actual red flag situation was abysmal and one of the most ludicrous things I've ever seen but it's already covered here. Then too much time wasted screwing around to get the race started, waiting until it's almost dry (what is this, Charlie Whiting show?) and Freitas backtracking with the radio messages he first sent and keeping the SC on track forever. On top of that errors like "re-start at 17.25" when it was 19.25 etc
Old 24 Sep 2014, 12:56 (Ref:3457172)   #637
Coach Ep
Veteran

I found it staggering to see both Toyota #7 (Conway) and Porsche #20 (driver unknown to me) going off early into the lap (Toyota in the esses, Porsche into turn 2) in the downpour only to continue at high speed and having substantial offs again at turn 12 - the Toyota hitting the guardrail on DR and the Porsche shooting straight into the gravel. Almost a miracle no hits were recorded as there were already 3 or 4 other cars sitting in that parking lot (other Toyota, Lotus, couple of Ferrari's), especially the Porsche came in at ridiculous speed!

Guess Pro drivers can be even bigger boneheads then Am drivers. And yet again they get away with it. There really is no difference between all these race directors and their teams.

Old 24 Sep 2014, 13:02 (Ref:3457175)   #638
Deleted
Veteran

Loved Martin Haven again calling the ungrooved intermediates "magic tires" that use witchcraft to make them work.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 14:21 (Ref:3457207)   #639
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Of course, if a driver gets it right, they're a hero, but make one mistake, and they're an idiot, magically. They're going to try to minimize time lost, no matter what. Also, going around slowly, and losing more tire temperature, further reduces their grip levels, and can make it MORE likely they will go off.

I also wouldn't put it past people to criticize the drivers if they DID go around as slowly as the Jaguar drivers at Mexico City in 1990, because they're being "hazardous, moving chicanes" to the other competitors by traveling that slowly on course.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 14:42 (Ref:3457213)   #640
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I was p1$$ed off about the whole red-flag matter, but after reading Mr. Trusswell's analysis I have no problem with it.
I read it and in no way did it make me think regulations as less of a silly. In fact how they didn't penalize the 3 cars that did enter the pits after the red flag just goes to add to the shambles of this weekend
Old 24 Sep 2014, 15:45 (Ref:3457237)   #641
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chiana, I agree with you on two counts (I think): One, yes, the whole thing was handled badly. The red flag or at least an FCY should have been out as soon as the cars started skating. Once the red flag waverd and everyone had time to sort things out, everything should have been sorted oput Properly (including opipping those GTs which snuck into the closed pits.)

I also agree (I think) that some of the rules themselves need review. I understand the rule which is uspposed to prevent cars from gaining an advantage by pitting under yellow and I think i like it, but with the red flag and the bad timing something different should have been done.

What I meant was more, when I watched the race i was fairly outraged to see which cars gained and lost for no apparent reason, and after reading Mr. Trusswell I felt that by and large the rules (however silly) had been followed.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 15:46 (Ref:3457238)   #642
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Of course, if a driver gets it right, they're a hero, but make one mistake, and they're an idiot, magically. They're going to try to minimize time lost, no matter what. Also, going around slowly, and losing more tire temperature, further reduces their grip levels, and can make it MORE likely they will go off.

I also wouldn't put it past people to criticize the drivers if they DID go around as slowly as the Jaguar drivers at Mexico City in 1990, because they're being "hazardous, moving chicanes" to the other competitors by traveling that slowly on course.
I was talking about their second mistake - on the same lap. By then both drivers knew how treacherous the conditions were, not to mention the warnings they undoubtedly received over the radio from their engineers - and coming up the long back straight, the on-board marshal system signaling the yellow flags at T12 they were approaching fast and those flags themselves!

Another example of officials letting drivers get away with questionable driving standards. No excuse possible.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 17:57 (Ref:3457276)   #643
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I wonder though, if the radio was coming through reliably at that point. I know the stream died, so there was definite interference in the area.

Drivers aren't required to drop to 60-kph, or 80-kph, under local yellows. And if they tried slamming on the binders to do so, that would be even worse, especially under slippery conditions. It's the driver's primary job to lose as little time as possible, at all times, period. You're NOT going to be able to un-wire their brains from doing that.

And again, they lose more tire temperature going really slowly, which loses them grip, making it more likely they will slide off. It's worse for prototypes in that it's the downforce generated by going quickly that gives the grip, and hence, tire temperature. For the GTs, they're more dpendent on mechanical grip to begin with. It's been said, many times, that the best place to be out there, under those conditions, is in the Safety Car.

Also, since series tend to leave things going until panic status is reached, they red-flag it, and won't go back until there is a drying line. So, the drivers don't get the experience of running under these conditions with any regularity, or for any duration. Therefore, is it any wonder that they are ill-equipped to deal with these conditions nowadays? And no, testing, or taking courses in rain driving, is NOT even remotely the same as having to do it, unplanned, as it happens, in the heat of battle, during a full-on race.

It's not just drivers not knowing fully what to do, or officials not doing their jobs. The officials may not be empowered to do as some of you might suggest, and the racertainment aspect has come in, largely thanks to NASCAR and F1. It's considered too big a hit to sit out one of the "heroes of the show" for questionable conduct. These days, a driver has to do something pretty awful, perhaps legally questionable, and even then, if it's a front-runner, they may well get off easy, unless they volunteer to sit themselves out. (That doesn't happen very often.)

Last edited by Purist; 24 Sep 2014 at 18:05.
Old 24 Sep 2014, 22:20 (Ref:3457387)   #644
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
I too was surprised that they waited. The turn 15 area was like a river. Amazing the 919 didn't plow into anyone on its run through the gravel.

Did you end up attending the race?
Nope. I wanted to, but were moving so money for a deposit was more important than money for a race. Next year should be better with Nissan back anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I found it staggering to see both Toyota #7 (Conway) and Porsche #20 (driver unknown to me) going off early into the lap (Toyota in the esses, Porsche into turn 2) in the downpour only to continue at high speed and having substantial offs again at turn 12 - the Toyota hitting the guardrail on DR and the Porsche shooting straight into the gravel. Almost a miracle no hits were recorded as there were already 3 or 4 other cars sitting in that parking lot (other Toyota, Lotus, couple of Ferrari's), especially the Porsche came in at ridiculous speed!

Guess Pro drivers can be even bigger boneheads then Am drivers. And yet again they get away with it. There really is no difference between all these race directors and their teams.

There were dry parts of the track which is why they were going fast. Then out of nowhere its wet. With slicks you cant just slow down when the rain suddenly appears. They were probably unaware the rain was that bad in that turn.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 01:18 (Ref:3457708)   #645
TF110
Veteran

United States
And Darren Turner voices the same thing I wondered... why the red flag took so long to come out?
Old 10 Nov 2014, 16:02 (Ref:3473432)   #646
Lusitano
Racer

Portugal
Barcelona
Lusitano should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I apologize for posting so late after the race, but I am trying to catch up on WEC/Tudor/ELMS.

Watched the COTA race a couple of weeks ago, and I agree with most of you regarding the shenanigans that took place. However, there is one situation ignored by most, if not all: the move by Buemi with 26 minutes, overtaking the No.14 Porsche. I, wearing my eyeglasses at the time, saw Buemi short-cutting the track, resulting the overtaking of the Porsche. Did I miss something, or everyone just ignored it? Even Hindy missed it, apparently, because he and the other commentators did not mentioned over the broadcast.

Did anything, that I do not know about, happen regarding this situation?

Here is the moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8OzV0s7v_c#t=5583

And here is the replay, clearly showing what I am talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8OzV0s7v_c#t=5648

Quote:
Buemi took 3rd. Hope he can challenge for 2nd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Nice move from Buemi. I'm not sure he does need a stop, either way it's been a great recovery drive.

Last edited by Lusitano; 10 Nov 2014 at 16:31.
Old 10 Nov 2014, 17:22 (Ref:3473449)   #647
Deleted
Veteran

Good catch. The gladiators of our time.

In a modern world where blatant asphalt runoff violation passes like this are hailed as 'incredible' and 'daring', everything is okay.
Old 10 Nov 2014, 21:53 (Ref:3473522)   #648
TF110
Veteran

United States
Curbing is part of the track. He had two wheels on it, pass looked clean. Even if it wasnt, he eventually gets past. Look at Interlagos yesterday where the entire car goes inside the curbing

Old 10 Nov 2014, 22:27 (Ref:3473533)   #649
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Curbing is part of the track. He had two wheels on it, pass looked clean. Even if it wasnt, he eventually gets past. Look at Interlagos yesterday where the entire car goes inside the curbing

The "track surface" is delineated by the white line, not the curbing.

-mike
Old 11 Nov 2014, 01:32 (Ref:3473576)   #650
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
if you didnt want cars there, why pave it ;]