Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 May 2013, 17:46 (Ref:3252242)   #51
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I didn't read anywhere they are in financial trouble...
If you are owned by a venture capital firm and are lossing sponsership I think that is a pretty good indication of financial trouble.
Old 23 May 2013, 19:40 (Ref:3252299)   #52
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
If you are owned by a venture capital firm and are lossing sponsership I think that is a pretty good indication of financial trouble.
Yet, nothing has been in the news about it, but I can take your word for that...
Old 23 May 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3252370)   #53
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A little nugget of information has come out about the James Allison situation.
In December last year Niki Lauda was in the process of recruiting Allison for Mercedes when Toto Wolff arrived and brought a halt to the move.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22433258

I wonder is that why Allison left Enstone but appears not to have a deal done for his future employment.

Another bit of information that comes out of the same interview was that Wolff was in the process of recruiting Paddy Lowe for Williams before he left Williams. Considering the loss of staff at the top of Williams Lowe could have been a good fit for them.
Old 23 May 2013, 21:54 (Ref:3252396)   #54
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More info from a very reliable source:
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/...lison-mystery/
Old 27 May 2013, 18:01 (Ref:3254114)   #55
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yet, nothing has been in the news about it, but I can take your word for that...
Today's telegraph had a good feature Lotus F1 lost £56m last year the biggest loss in motorsport history, big drop in income and big rises in expenses, they can not continue in the current fashion and Genii are the sort of people who will cut and run very quickly.
Old 27 May 2013, 18:21 (Ref:3254132)   #56
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I would have thought if you were owned by venture capitalists, sponsors would be superfluous, apart from those making components such as spark plugs.
Old 27 May 2013, 20:33 (Ref:3254208)   #57
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
without seeing their financials its hard to make any assumptions as to what the reported loss represents. for all we know the loss is a calculated one simply to avoid taxes and or a loss to be applied against other streams of Genii's income....rather creative accounting and book losses.

on the other hand its equally possible that huge losses which can be applied to future tax liabilities makes this team an even more attractive asset to the right investors.

problem is there is a general lack of ability on the part of the sports media to actually report on financial matters. in f1 its usually Christian Sylt doing the reporting and while he seems to have the numbers he never goes into the details for reasons that i can only speculate on.

i should probably buy his magazine if i want those answers though!
Old 27 May 2013, 22:16 (Ref:3254248)   #58
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

problem is there is a general lack of ability on the part of the sports media to actually report on financial matters. in f1 its usually Christian Sylt doing the reporting and while he seems to have the numbers he never goes into the details for reasons that i can only speculate on.

i should probably buy his magazine if i want those answers though!
He regularly has articles on Pitpass including the one on Lotus, as well as newspaper articles.

http://www.pitpass.com/49161-Lotus-b...-in-F1-history
Old 28 May 2013, 02:39 (Ref:3254312)   #59
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Quote:
I didn't read anywhere they are in financial trouble...
Last month I stated that Lotus were in financial trouble but someone didn't take me seriously and closed my thread but guess what. The Telegraph over the weekend reported that Lotus reported the biggest loss in motor sport history to a tune of 86 million dollars. It gets worse....
Old 28 May 2013, 02:56 (Ref:3254314)   #60
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will they be able to afford to fix Grosjean's car?
Old 28 May 2013, 05:54 (Ref:3254337)   #61
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
Last month I stated that Lotus were in financial trouble but someone didn't take me seriously and closed my thread but guess what. The Telegraph over the weekend reported that Lotus reported the biggest loss in motor sport history to a tune of 86 million dollars. It gets worse....
Yes it does appear that some people on the forum prefer to bury there head in the sand and hate any bad news, but F1 teams need to change to survive and stupid talk about Tax loses being a sales are funny but sad, Genii are not there for the love of it and will be trying to get out,
Other problems exist in all motor sport but financial problems are the most pressing and will need to be treated with respect and not ignored.
Old 28 May 2013, 06:32 (Ref:3254344)   #62
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
He regularly has articles on Pitpass including the one on Lotus, as well as newspaper articles.

http://www.pitpass.com/49161-Lotus-b...-in-F1-history
So.. the financial accounts apparently display that the legal entity lost a shedload of Euros/Pounds/Dollars...

The question must lie in the audit report attached to the accounts.. presuming of course that the accounts are externally audited.. with a question about whether the legal entity can operate as a going concern on its own, or whether it exists at the behest of its owners' guarantees...

Either way, losing money is never a great thing... and cant be good for business for Lotus trying to drum up a title sponsor when the financial press are talking the latest result up as a cataclysmic failure...

Without a title sponsor, the legal entity is more than likely to perform similarly next reporting season... unless of course a cost cutting process is implemented...

... and with new-for-2014 cars required, its hard to see that happening...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 28 May 2013, 07:16 (Ref:3254352)   #63
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Looking at the car at the weekend there were no signs of new sponsor logo's and as that is the only real income so what are they doing to try and keep the team solvent, F1 is the most expensive of sports and suppliers must be getting very nervous that if the situation continues they might get paid
Old 28 May 2013, 08:41 (Ref:3254385)   #64
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Rumour has it that they had a major sponsor lined up at the start of the season but this fell through very late. Also the Lotus car company was originally to get involved financially but we all know what happened there.
Old 28 May 2013, 12:14 (Ref:3254480)   #65
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
Oh now you quote the source. After someone else... That's good, at least you're learning.
Old 28 May 2013, 12:22 (Ref:3254482)   #66
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not a rumour. It was pretty much out in the open since early December 2012 that Honeywell was going to be title sponsor for the team.

Here is a article from 16/01/2013.
http://www.pitpass.com/48220-Boullie...et-been-signed

Here is a article from 20/03/2013.
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns25021.html
Old 28 May 2013, 20:32 (Ref:3254697)   #67
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
It's not a rumour. It was pretty much out in the open since early December 2012 that Honeywell was going to be title sponsor for the team.

Here is a article from 16/01/2013.
http://www.pitpass.com/48220-Boullie...et-been-signed

Here is a article from 20/03/2013.
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns25021.html
Did they conduct some kind of sponsors due diligence on the team?!!
Old 30 May 2013, 08:45 (Ref:3255349)   #68
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Lotus appears to be spending beyond its means, nothing new there as Joe Sawards history of GP racing shows. As the spending goes it will eventually collapse, leaving a gap until the cycle restarts again.
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/...agement-in-f1/
Old 30 May 2013, 10:36 (Ref:3255382)   #69
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Lotus appears to be spending beyond its means, nothing new there as Joe Sawards history of GP racing shows. As the spending goes it will eventually collapse, leaving a gap until the cycle restarts again.
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/...agement-in-f1/
There won't be any collapse, it's just Mr. Saward using a bit of history and analysis so he can end his entry saying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Saward
...Red Bull must go
And he strikes again in his later entry about Pirelli not racing new tyres in Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Saward
...rather than being pressured into making changes to please the whingeing teams.
He just likes to pick on RBR
Old 30 May 2013, 15:10 (Ref:3255504)   #70
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsTrecu View Post

He just likes to pick on RBR
It wouldn't only RBR he picks on but there is always at least one team not agreeing with others meaning it is difficult to make changes.
Old 31 May 2013, 02:16 (Ref:3255789)   #71
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Every big team always try to gain an advantage making it impossible to reach an agreement, and the departure of RBR would not change that in my opinion.
The worse part of the recession just passed, Ferrari won't go away, ML neither, Mercedes just now starts doing things well and have increased their staff and RBR seems commited. Plus Honda is coming back, and rumors of others manufacturers doing the same are increasing.
I'm not sure of a collapse happening anytime soon even with midfield teams having a hard time, they'll find a way.
Old 31 May 2013, 13:27 (Ref:3255987)   #72
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Now would you believe RBR would leave F1 ?????
Old 5 Jun 2013, 10:23 (Ref:3257952)   #73
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well maybe not RBR, but their Chief Technical Officer. Could this spell the end of RBR's reign in F1???
Old 6 Jun 2013, 09:06 (Ref:3258425)   #74
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, of course, when their marketing objectives are met.

Nothing lasts forever, all fizzy drink manufacturers change their marketing mix eventually. Formula one is just one channel for them, that's all.
Old 6 Jun 2013, 09:44 (Ref:3258434)   #75
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
really? i thought red bull racing was always a pet project for the boss that he spent his pocket money sponsorship account on because he likes motorsport. when (if?) he loses the love for motorsport, the decision will fall into the hands of the marketing people.