Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 28 Sep 2009, 23:33 (Ref:2550152)   #51
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Why am I thinking that this will be a massive mistake for all but Kimi's agents and bank balance?
Because you're not much of a Kimi fan and think Lewis will wipe the floor with him? Let's wait and see.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 00:14 (Ref:2550167)   #52
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I tend to think Lewis is more likely to wipe the floor with Kimi than Alonso with Massa
Old 29 Sep 2009, 09:21 (Ref:2550349)   #53
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I tend to think Lewis is more likely to wipe the floor with Kimi than Alonso with Massa
Depends who the teams get behind really doesn't it?

Even if Kimi is outdone by Hamilton (Which i think it will be a close battle) he will enjoy taking quite a few top 3's along the way, the Mclaren will suit his driving style so much better, much like it used to... That combo worked fairly well when they didn't have failures didn't it?
Old 29 Sep 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2550359)   #54
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I don't think that Kimi will play number 2 to anyone!
Well, according to Joe Saward, he already did play it to Massa.

I'm not saying he'll do it again, and I hope he won't.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 10:09 (Ref:2550367)   #55
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
...the McLaren will suit his driving style so much better, much like it used to... That combo worked fairly well when they didn't have failures didn't it?
Definitely.

In fact I was pleased to see Norbert Haug pretty much admit that they cost Kimi two world titles, certainly in 2003 and probably in 2005.
Quote:
"Reflecting on our co-operation which was five years, I think that it was positive," explained Haug. "We should have won at least two world championships. I have to say we missed one with two points in 2003 but I think an engine failure was one of the reasons, so without that he could have done it.

"In 2005 he could have done it, in fairness. The engines at that stage were not as good and reliable as they are now. To have Kimi in our team winning two world championships would certainly have been a fair outcome for him. I have a good relationship with him and I'm sure he would say the same."
I wonder how differently people would view Kimi now if he was a 3-time WDC having beaten Schumi and Teflonso in straight fights??
Old 29 Sep 2009, 10:18 (Ref:2550371)   #56
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
When people compare team-mates they seem to use one of two stock phrases: "x wiped the floor with y" or "Evenly matched". Why ignore the most common outcome: "x was a bit better than y"? For what it's worth, I think Hamilton would do a bit better than Raikkonen if they were paired up.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 10:25 (Ref:2550376)   #57
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljakse View Post
Well, according to Joe Saward, he already did play it to Massa.

I'm not saying he'll do it again, and I hope he won't.
That was later on in the season when it was a fight between Felipe and Lewis. My point is, it appears on here that many think that Kimi will go to McLaren as Lewis's number 2, i'm saying he'll go as equal number 1 ergo, my point, Kimi won't play number 2 to anyone.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 10:36 (Ref:2550385)   #58
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
That was later on in the season when it was a fight between Felipe and Lewis. My point is, it appears on here that many think that Kimi will go to McLaren as Lewis's number 2, i'm saying he'll go as equal number 1 ergo, my point, Kimi won't play number 2 to anyone.
You're exactly right and I'm sure McLaren will provide equal equipment.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 12:55 (Ref:2550494)   #59
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see Ferrari letting Kimi go to McLaren. Maybe to one of the lesser teams on the grid, but not someone who will take points off Ferrari. Ferrari would rather pay him to do nothing for a year.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2550496)   #60
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ferrari aren't paying for him to move, though. Santander are and as they're sponsoring both teams, it makes perfect sense

If Ferrari really saw him as a threat, they wouldn't be letting him go

This is definitely going to happen
Old 29 Sep 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2550517)   #61
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl View Post
I can't see Ferrari letting Kimi go to McLaren.
It isn't up to Ferrari, really.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 14:52 (Ref:2550570)   #62
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't wait to see this happen.I know a lot of people,myself included at times, have thought Kimi's gone off the boil recently but I think a large part of the problem has been the car/team not suiting his style.If we see the god-like speed of his early days then Lewis is definitely going to have a challenge.That immense talent doesn't just evaporate in the course of 2 or 3 years.And with Kimi being,well,Kimi and Lewis with a championship already under his belt I think the pair will be able to handle each other mentally.Personally,I'm expecting a very strong,close performing pair who won't be talking crap about each other every other weekend.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 19:59 (Ref:2550759)   #63
cobra77
Rookie

cobra77 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl View Post
I can't see Ferrari letting Kimi go to McLaren. Maybe to one of the lesser teams on the grid, but not someone who will take points off Ferrari. Ferrari would rather pay him to do nothing for a year.
I really think Kimi's contract is so strong that either Ferrari has a good offer that Kimi wants to take or they have to let him drive.

It might be that Alonso has said to Santander:
Look I would go to McLaren if I hadn't burned the bridges there so Ferrari is my only option.
Let's buy out Kimi and put him in McLaren. I dont want him as my team mate anyway ;-)

This is why santander are sponsoring both McLaren and Ferrari.

I also feel that Alonso respects Kimi very much and would like to race against him, not as his team mate.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 22:43 (Ref:2550873)   #64
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Definitely.

In fact I was pleased to see Norbert Haug pretty much admit that they cost Kimi two world titles, certainly in 2003 and probably in 2005.I wonder how differently people would view Kimi now if he was a 3-time WDC having beaten Schumi and Teflonso in straight fights??
Agreed, was please to see some very straight up answers from Mercedes there.

Both years had better potential but thems the breaks i guess.

As a Raikkonen fan since around the 2003 Era im rather excited about the Mclaren return, must say ive been rather disapointed with how underperforming the Ferrari deal has become.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 15:43 (Ref:2551318)   #65
kartracer41
Racer

United States
Michigan, USA
kartracer41 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This is interesting. No decision yet by Mac.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79063
Old 30 Sep 2009, 22:17 (Ref:2551554)   #66
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think we will hear from Merc for a while.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 10:57 (Ref:2551805)   #67
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
According to Kimi, he may yet abandon F1. I think it would be a massive shame if he did. He really is still the WFD and here's a little quote to underline the point:
Quote:
A run of podium finishes plus a brilliant victory at the Belgian Grand Prix showed that the Raikkonen of old was back on the track, and even inside the team they admitted seeing a different man.

One team insider suggested that, looking at the data, Raikkonen has once again been doing things in the cockpit of a very difficult car that they can hardly believe. He is going beyond what, theoretically, the F60 should be capable of in normal hands as though the Finn's last great act of defiance is to prove to his former bosses that they were wrong.
Teflonso is wandering around looking like the cat that got the cream, and I suppose he's entitled to. Ferrari gave up on developing the F60 some races ago and everything is going into the 2010 car, so it should be very quick out of the box. They could even do a Brawn.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 11:02 (Ref:2551808)   #68
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd be sad to see Kimi basically forced out of F1.

Perhaps he wants to go to McLaren and get revenge on them in the best way possible- by going to the old rivals. Kimi is not perceived as that sort of character, but maybe he's good at keeping his emotions under wraps, and he's actually full of such spirit. It's been a joy to see him drag the best out his car recently.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 12:55 (Ref:2551900)   #69
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hate to think he'll be leaving F1, but as it is now, it's not a bad idea.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 13:07 (Ref:2551919)   #70
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do you not think Bononi that McLaren would be a good proposition for him?
Old 1 Oct 2009, 20:13 (Ref:2552240)   #71
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Do you not think Bononi that McLaren would be a good proposition for him?
Yeah, I do, but if he leaves now, the way things are in F1 nowadays, maybe it's the right choice.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 20:30 (Ref:2552256)   #72
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

What things are you referring to?
Old 1 Oct 2009, 23:27 (Ref:2552355)   #73
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
What things are you referring to?
We all know that F1 always has been a source of controversy and drama, but if you look at the last couple of years, another kind of trouble have become the trivial. Ron Dennis an icon in F1 has been lambasted and went into retirement as part of a deal to keep McLaren going on. FOTA and Max Mosley have been fighting for power and everything will remain pretty much the same. A mediocre driver with a famous name have shattered the credibility of the races and the only good from all that is Briatore a non-F1 man got expelled. Among all this a double champion, blackmailer, dishonest, egotistic and manipulator get away and gets the best. From TGF to Alonso, Formula One have got no better, probably got worse.

One have to wonder if it's worth to have faith on human kind.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 00:17 (Ref:2552375)   #74
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Wow. Quite a comment in that post, and sadly I don't disagree with it much.

Still, I'll try to forget it when the Grand Prix is on, because I'll always love racing and watching F1 cars lap a circuit.
Old 2 Oct 2009, 00:31 (Ref:2552380)   #75
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
I wouldn't care if McLaren were disqualified from every race for wearing the wrong colour underpants - I'd still get up religiously at ridiculous o'clock to watch a pointless practice session

The scandals are quite entertaining, actually. It's all a bit boring when the racing is dull and we've got nothing else to talk about

We need the best drivers in the sport and I'd be gutted if Kimi went - I don't even rate him as highly as some do but the sport needs all the stars it's got until they start spontaneously crashing into people in every race like a certain square-jawed Scotsman
Closed Thread