Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Closed Thread

Old 1 Sep 2012, 19:59 (Ref:3128430)   #1
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

fvck everything.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 20:11 (Ref:3128439)   #2
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't do any damning yet. We have yet to see which teams will even make the Jump to Grand-Scam. Dyson will probably go do Grand-Am as they have had a foot in that door for a long time. Muscle Milk could potentially go do WEC for Honda. Level 5 will probably go WEC. Conquest will provably do WEC too. I would be happy to see all the GT teams leave America and go do WEC. My only concern as always has been how do you justify firing all the personel who cannot be flying out of the country to these rounds let alone paying for all those plane tickets. A $79 dollar Southwest flight or even driving a prius to each ALMS race suddenly becomes a $1300 Air France ticket.....for every single round of WEC...for every necessary team member. What I want to happen is not financialy feasible but I want it nonetheless
Old 1 Sep 2012, 20:23 (Ref:3128455)   #3
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we fans need to get together and file a monopoly lawsuit against NASCAR/France Family to stop this. If you look at what the France Family controls/owns it is very scary that they can control so much for so long without anyone speaking up about it. If this goes through sportscar racing in the US will be killed.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 20:30 (Ref:3128461)   #4
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424 View Post
I think we fans need to get together and file a monopoly lawsuit against NASCAR/France Family to stop this. If you look at what the France Family controls/owns it is very scary that they can control so much for so long without anyone speaking up about it. If this goes through sportscar racing in the US will be killed.
And based on what awesome legal forum minds would you base this lawsuit?

This isn't a hostile takeover. Panoz/Atherton have been trying to sell the series for 3 years now, they finally found a buyer.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 20:35 (Ref:3128470)   #5
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
And based on what awesome legal forum minds would you base this lawsuit?

This isn't a hostile takeover. Panoz/Atherton have been trying to sell the series for 3 years now, they finally found a buyer.
You have to take a close look at what they control/own:

Nascar
Grand-Am (also pays for teams to show up and pays for JC's ride)
AMA
ISC (Daytona, Watkins and many other tracks)
Action Performance/Lionel (50% stake with Bruton Smith with the other half)

With looking at that they are the dominant controling power of motorsports within the United States and could easily stop anyone if they wanted too.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:23 (Ref:3128510)   #6
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If DPs are the top class, we riot.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 22:08 (Ref:3128567)   #7
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There may be DPs at Le Mans soon
Old 1 Sep 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3128576)   #8
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
There may be DPs at Le Mans soon
Not likely. With the new 2014 regs and maunfacturers expecting stability and the already maxxed grid size of 56 cars I don't see how DP cars could gain entry.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:49 (Ref:3128544)   #9
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this can be very good if IMSA/Grand Am merged under NASCAR's commercial interest.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:51 (Ref:3128545)   #10
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
I think this can be very good if IMSA/Grand Am merged under NASCAR's commercial interest.
Only if they run ACO/IMSA rules and they keep the race control from IMSA.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:52 (Ref:3128549)   #11
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424 View Post
Only if they run ACO/IMSA rules and they keep the race control from IMSA.
IMSA Race control? Today has shown it's just as garbage if not worse than Grand Am's.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:55 (Ref:3128552)   #12
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
Quote:
IMSA Race control? Today has shown it's just as garbage if not worse than Grand Am's.
Maybe but at least they probley won't let Chip get away with as much as his teams have this past year.
Old 2 Sep 2012, 00:13 (Ref:3128679)   #13
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another point of view . . .

Quote:
IMSA's "Race Control" team travels with the series. GA Stewards travel with the series but use `local talent' at each venue for Race Control.

Old 2 Sep 2012, 00:15 (Ref:3128680)   #14
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
IMSA's "Race Control" team travels with the series. GA Stewards travel with the series but use `local talent' at each venue for Race Control.

So that's why Grand Am is so inconsistent (from good to horrible) while IMSA is consistently mediocre/bad.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:54 (Ref:3128551)   #15
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
ONE questionable call makes it garbage?! Come on!!
Old 1 Sep 2012, 21:58 (Ref:3128555)   #16
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
ONE questionable call makes it garbage?! Come on!!
15-20 minute yellows just like all year, and a questionable call. Grand Am has had 2-3 questionable calls all year, not much worse. I realise what you're feeling right now is similar to what the Crapwagon brigade was feeling in 2008, please don't take it out on me.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 22:06 (Ref:3128565)   #17
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speed up DPs(which was probably going to happen with turbos next year), Turn GT into a GTE type class, allow the silhouette cars from current GT into GX.

You guys are throwing a massive *****fit about losing the ACO prototypes. A real shame losing all 5 of them. And I hope no one blames Panoz for this. The ACO once again turning their back on one of the biggest markets they have to go race in Malaysia, Bahrain and China. Only so much he could do before exhausting his fortune, and if he got out before it really put a dent in it, then good for him.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 22:37 (Ref:3128608)   #18
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there was no interest in this kind of racing in na (aco prototypes) in the past few years. just a couple of private teams from the teams. And speaking of ACO, they didnt turned their backs on anyone, there will still be a US round of the wec. Lack of interest in the top categories killed the series. alms didnt really recovery after porsche and audi left after the 2008 season. Cant see why the aco would turn their backs on a series that is a feeder to the wec (sort of). The stronger the 3 regional champs are the stronger the wec will be. Anyway...
maybe its better for the alms to make radical changes than to sit around and die a slow, agonizing death.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3128566)   #19
gregtummer
Veteran

Does the ACO/FIA have any say in this? Do they have to give approval?

If so and they give approval, that is a good sign for ALMS fans right?
Old 1 Sep 2012, 22:27 (Ref:3128594)   #20
gregtummer
Veteran

From one of the few people on the SPEED forums who seems to get it:

"The cars are the stars"
Old 1 Sep 2012, 22:30 (Ref:3128598)   #21
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
From one of the few people on the SPEED forums who seems to get it:

"The cars are the stars"
'Get it': Agree with you.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 22:41 (Ref:3128616)   #22
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No, it is "get it."

It's auto racing. It's not driver racing. You can never argue that motorsport is not about the cars. Ever. You can argue about what makes exciting racing, to you, and that's an opinion. But the fact it's about the cars? Nope.

I'm not prepared for a world where the differentiating factors of a race are:

1. The driver's personality foremost.
2. The driver's driving second.

I enjoy racing decided by:

1. The design and performance of the cars.
2. The strategy.

I realize that's not for everyone. That's an opinion. But the cars are the stars? That's not, and anyone who is attending to see "Danica Patrick" or "Scott Pruett" isn't a racing fan at all. I don't care if you attend to see the Lola/Mazda, or if you attend to see a Corvette DP, or you attend to see a Car of Tomorrow, if you're there for the cars, you're there for the right reasons. The cars should race. The cars can't race when they get so overly regulated. Drivers racing? Couldn't care less, have them run a foot race, then, if we only care about them.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 22:42 (Ref:3128618)   #23
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also, as I said elsewhere, I will be the first to admit how much of a tool I am if this turns out to either be no big deal or even be a desirable outcome for sports car racing. But right now, I'm too worried to be rational, and care too much to be sane.
Old 1 Sep 2012, 22:44 (Ref:3128619)   #24
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
No, it is "get it."

It's auto racing. It's not driver racing. You can never argue that motorsport is not about the cars. Ever. You can argue about what makes exciting racing, to you, and that's an opinion. But the fact it's about the cars? Nope.

2. The strategy.

I realize that's not for everyone. That's an opinion. But the cars are the stars? That's not, and anyone who is attending to see "Danica Patrick" or "Scott Pruett" isn't a racing fan at all. I don't care if you attend to see the Lola/Mazda, or if you attend to see a Corvette DP, or you attend to see a Car of Tomorrow, if you're there for the cars, you're there for the right reasons. The cars should race. The cars can't race when they get so overly regulated. Drivers racing? Couldn't care less, have them run a foot race, then, if we only care about them.

Most popular series in the World:

Formula 1
MotoGP
NASCAR
World Superbike
V8 Supercars
Indycar

What do all of those series have in common to which we are talking about? So 90% of racing fans in the world aren't 'racing fans'?
Old 1 Sep 2012, 22:46 (Ref:3128622)   #25
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
No, it is "get it."

2. The strategy.

Ahh, you watch racing "the right way", I get it. Good to know your hoity-toity "cars are the stars" series is broadcast on the ESPN channel for high school lacrosse games and just got sold to ISC for 10 cents on the dollar after its owners have been trying to dump it for the past 3 years.

Psst, guess what - the two most successful forms of motorsport in the world are F1 and NASCAR - two "driver focused" series.

The American Le Mans series is glorified club racing. Actually, come to think of it, NASA has a better TV package.
Closed Thread