QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
... and if ifs and buts,
were candies and nuts,
we'd all have a Merry Christmas.
-
Old 8 Jul 2004, 19:11 (Ref:1030585)   #52
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Hmm,

Like your thinking there R. Except you forgot Mansell.
Actually I left Mansell out on purpose, as when he joined Williams for 1991 he was no longer promising, he had already been proven good! Though you're quite right, he was probably promising when he joined Williams back in 1985 (before I started following F1).

British he is though, something which underlines the point even further.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 19:20 (Ref:1030593)   #53
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Never saw Hill or Couthard in the "promising" role. But I have the advantage of seeing them in lesser formulae. But I cheered for Hill at every opportunity.

DC just gave up I think.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 19:30 (Ref:1030599)   #54
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least Hill delivered a WDC for Williams (plus two stunning drives for "lesser" teams - that almost-win for Arrows, plus Jordan GP's first win). I always thought he was a better driver than he was usually given credit for.

DC has shown on occasion that he can fight with - and beat - the best, but has generally had a disappointing F1 career when you think of the equipment he's had at hand.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1030602)   #55
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: drivers...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tye
So many drivers and not enough seats. I think Williams should adopt the McLaren two-seater as a possible means of employing the ongoing list of drivers. If so, what do you think of Villeneuve and Montoya, not only in the same team, but in the same car!
That's a great idea. Give both drivers a steering wheel and they can fight each other on every corner.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 20:31 (Ref:1030641)   #56
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
If webber goes to Toyota then Coulthard and either Davidson or Dixon. Probably Davidson in the seat and Dixon in the test role being groomed for the seat. I don't think Dixon is particularly enthusiastic about IRL in the long term and his goal is still F1. He would be a better bet than Pizzonia and Gene (who really disappointed me in France) although williams is in a really bad patch right now.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1030662)   #57
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by R
At least Hill delivered a WDC for Williams (plus two stunning drives for "lesser" teams - that almost-win for Arrows, plus Jordan GP's first win). I always thought he was a better driver than he was usually given credit for.
Absolutely.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 22:43 (Ref:1030751)   #58
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber is the prime target but I'm not sure he is all that keen to join. I think Fisichella could well have the other seat with Davidson going to Sauber.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 22:45 (Ref:1030752)   #59
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fisichella will not be at Williams, I expect.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 23:33 (Ref:1030790)   #60
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams might find it more trouble than it's worth to pick up Webber next season, given that he's contracted to Flav's management deal and apparently Toyota have waved the $$$ signs in front of him. I wonder how that ties in with a rumour I heard that Microsoft is ready to take a plunge on sponsoring Toyota?

As a fan of the mighty JV I'd love to see him back in Formula One with Williams, but there is nothing concrete that I've seen that indicates this is anything more than mere speculation.

I seem to recall a few months ago reading that BMW isn't necessarily requiring Williams to sign up a German driver. Don't know about Allianz, but I think BMW would be willing to accept a driver combination that has a good chance of winning races, rather than a driver combination based on nationality as a strong factor.

At the end of the day, it's all rumour and speculation - until we see the drivers take the grid for Melbourne GP '05, I'll reserve my judgment!

The problem is, the speculation about where drivers go is more interesting at the moment than most of the action you get to see on the TV (don't know whether that's because there is no action, or because the race directors are keen on TGF to the exclusion of all else!).
Old 9 Jul 2004, 02:50 (Ref:1030898)   #61
Andre the Giant
Rookie

Andre the Giant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber and Hulk Hogan.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 08:08 (Ref:1031031)   #62
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams to announce Webber next week?

Looks like Williams are going to announce the signing of Mark Webber next week according to www.planetf1.com. I hope so and maybe he could start this year and not wait to next year. We shall see.

Last edited by Scott75; 9 Jul 2004 at 08:09.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 08:11 (Ref:1031033)   #63
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm having thought webber was definitely going to Williams, I just read an autosport article about Toyota interest and a mark has hinted that he is after a team with long term potential:

"Its not a decision for tomorrow - its a decision for how they are going to cope with the new changes, how they are going to cope with regulations and all sorts of things" (autosport magazine July 8 2004 p8).

IMHO perhaps he has already made his mind up?
But then again, if I was mark I wouldnt want to partner grumpy pants Ralf. Tough decisions for mark over the next month or so..........good luck to him.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 08:18 (Ref:1031034)   #64
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Be easy to keep on looking good against grumby pants though
Though Toyota is effectively a German team and that could work against anybody who partners him there
Old 9 Jul 2004, 08:55 (Ref:1031058)   #65
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Mark will be will's bound but I feel Toyota is the way he should go
Old 9 Jul 2004, 10:31 (Ref:1031135)   #66
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then that will be the time to prove how much he can go far...if he can go that far...
Old 9 Jul 2004, 11:30 (Ref:1031192)   #67
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in all fairness lets leave JV (he hasn't done anything in 4 years- much less endear himself to owners and team principles-F1 WDC or not, he is known to be too mucha pain int eh rear to be worth a comeback effort)
but webber- shows well does he have the minerals to race at williams, a top team for sure. i would like a more experienced and quick man there to partner webber, but the subs all are just that subs and 3rd drivers, the rest of the field is spoken for aren't they- panis? not a chance, and da matta- well he can be groomed very well by williams, afterall he hasn't wrecked the car or put a wheel off in any dramatic fashion, webber may be the best choice at the moment, unless they buy out Rubens- any one who can rae nose to tail with schumacher and keep it clean and so close- while holding back has a gift, and little pride - so he is a great asset to anyteam, and with less racers pride to deal with, he is a great gentleman in the seat, no team wrecks anymore.
Alonso's contract is stead for a few years is it?, williams may like him before ferrari get their mits on him, as the team is still strong they will get a few wins after MS leaves for sure....
how did all the webber to williams rumors start anyway? it sounds like a done deal from here, but i am skeptical.
watch frank signs da matta and jeff gordon.
ha ha ha