Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Jan 2005, 11:28 (Ref:1208484)   #51
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
Ah yes, your correct it is not centre mounted.
I notice the absence of an engine cover wing...(Ferrari / Toyota / Williams all have them I believe)

Oh!

You've seen the new Williams?

Do tell ;
Old 24 Jan 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1208500)   #52
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Oh!

You've seen the new Williams?

Do tell ;
Heh heh heh, no I haven't.
I was just saying that last years Ferrari, Toyota, Williams and this years Toyota all have mid-wings mounted on the engine cover.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1208503)   #53
P.Cummins
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
P.Cummins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They seemed to have not "stooped" the nose down as much as the did last year and I dont think it looks to bad.
What would it mean, now that they have an exhaust mountaed in the centre?
Also, the wheels are right in front of the air-intake so what are the advantages and disadvantages of that, and by the looks of it, they dont have bargeboards, so it seems like they've done something different which I dont really understand
Old 24 Jan 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1208507)   #54
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you read anything into WEST being on the sidepod but not on the rear wing.

Me thinks Johnnie Walker may be on the rear wing from Melbourne, with West only on the sidepods.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 12:27 (Ref:1208513)   #55
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Cummins
They seemed to have not "stooped" the nose down as much as the did last year and I dont think it looks to bad.
What would it mean, now that they have an exhaust mountaed in the centre?
Also, the wheels are right in front of the air-intake so what are the advantages and disadvantages of that, and by the looks of it, they dont have bargeboards, so it seems like they've done something different which I dont really understand
The nose doesn't stoop so much because it has less distance to stoop to the new higher wing., if you get my meaning.

Exhaust is not central - that's a funny angle for the pic.

All F1 cars have wheels in front of radiator inlets? Bargeboards are black and therefore hard to see.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 13:10 (Ref:1208525)   #56
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
Me thinks Johnnie Walker may be on the rear wing from Melbourne, with West only on the sidepods.
I thought the Johnnie Walker deal had fallen through because JW worried that they might become the next thing to be banned from advertising? Or is there still a chance?
Old 24 Jan 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1208527)   #57
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't read anything into anything on the sponsorship front
Old 24 Jan 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1208573)   #58
XJR14/WSC95
Racer

XJR14/WSC95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can’t say I like it, if anything I think its one of the worst looking GP cars I have seen in a long time. I feel the combination of the side pods that go in on an angle and the massive engine cover, (which would not look out of place on a Tyrrell 005) give the car the impression of being narrow. However I really liked last years Williams so I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Let just hope it is fast and reliable so we can enjoy a more competitive season.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1208576)   #59
Kicking-back
Veteran

The engine cover is a product of the regulations.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 14:36 (Ref:1208597)   #60
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's not quite right, kb - I think there must be some aerodynamic advantage to doing it the Renault/MP4-20 way, because other cars have a straight line from just behind the camera and don't have the big hump. I reckon it is some sort of guide for air to the rear wing - perfaps a similar function to the airbox fins which some other teams have, which don't create downforce as such but manage airflow.

Have you seen the pics at http://www.formula-one.net/index1.php4 - which are really big pictures and full of detail? The car looks a little hastily finished - perhaps there will be furthe big changes to the aero before long.

I'm still liking the car - it has a bit of an Alien look about it, especially in the cold and shiny McLaren colours.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 14:43 (Ref:1208600)   #61
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Wow Glen, you weren't kidding, those are some BIG pictures...

Last edited by Sodemo; 24 Jan 2005 at 14:44.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1208602)   #62
Kicking-back
Veteran

Interesting mounting of the mirrors.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 15:06 (Ref:1208622)   #63
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Sauber way of making a McLaren (eg. similar sidepods) is more beautiful, but then again we were probably used to the 18A-19 slim nose.

Interesting rear wing endplates. They are somewhat wavy.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 16:09 (Ref:1208651)   #64
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's no rear-end on it at all - obviously designed to look more like a Nicole Kidman than a J-Lo.

I hear Johnny Walker have been signed from 1 August 2005, as soon as the tobacco ban comes into force in Europe. The West contract has been renegotiated to end on the 31 July.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 16:31 (Ref:1208666)   #65
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glen, have a for that link!!!
Old 24 Jan 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1208689)   #66
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, she's a stunner alright! It's not what I expected mind....

Can't really add to what's been said other than they appear to be trying to destroy the livery. But that's irrelevant.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 18:04 (Ref:1208756)   #67
Formula Juan
Racer

Formula Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't much care for the front wing or sidepods...
Old 24 Jan 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1208757)   #68
Kicking-back
Veteran

The stopwatch will be the real judge.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1208765)   #69
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks great...the nose is much wider than the 19's...

i could see it coming atleast top 3 in a beauty pagent....

but last year i said that MP4/19 'A' was the best looking car...and look what happened performance wise....

as KB said the stop watch is the best judge....
Old 24 Jan 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1208770)   #70
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The nose seems wider than the one they raced at Monza. It is a very fat nose for a Newey-led design.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 18:14 (Ref:1208772)   #71
Kicking-back
Veteran

Remember that Coughlan and Oatley did a lot of the design work.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1208775)   #72
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yes, but the aero profile is Newey's mainly I'd have thought, of which the nose is a big part.

But then, with McLaren these days you never know who's designing the flipping thing. There's a rabble of big names working on their cars!
Old 24 Jan 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1208800)   #73
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tiny rear end again, not sure if i like the nose, i think i prefer the "anteater".
Old 24 Jan 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1208923)   #74
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's ok... I never thought I would say this but it's certainly no Sauber.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1208968)   #75
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Reminds be a lot of last years Renault. I like it.