Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 3 Nov 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1451573)   #51
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What gets me about the 2" 3" belts business, is that Schroth developed the HANS, and they only offer a 2" belt for use with it, after their extensive tests showed a possible problem using a 3" belt.

As for the extinguishers, electronic, or mechanical. Hand-helds don't get siezed cables, or battery issues. We just jump out of the car and leave them in there! No different to getting out and legging it without pulling the cable, or pressing the fire button.

Rob.
Old 3 Nov 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1451588)   #52
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was one of the first mistakes with Hans, they only realised afterwards that the 3" belts slipped down. The new belt is now 3" at the waist and changes into 2" on the shoulders.
Properly mounted they should be crossed at the back as well.

About the extinghuiser Rob: when on fire, park near a marshals post so that they use the track bottles.
No need to use your own then.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 08:42 (Ref:1458666)   #53
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It seems pretty pointless to have 3" belts that drop down to 2" at the shoulders, as thats where most of the force will be exterted in an sudden decelleration. Would have thought its a much better design principle to adapt the HANS to 3". I have had to have 3" belts in my F3 car since 2003 though? How would that cope with the mandatory 3" rule if I then had the belts that changed to 2" at the shoulder?
Old 12 Nov 2005, 09:50 (Ref:1458690)   #54
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No problem, 2" shoulder belts are allowed if you have a HANS device.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1458779)   #55
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
........ is that Schroth developed the HANS....
Not so Rob. It was invented and brought to production by Hubbard/Downing (with D-B investment to prove the concept and pay for the testing.)
See www.hansdevice.com
The original Hans had a return lip on the shoulder "legs" which was presumably to retain the belts, but this was dropped in favour of the friction surface now on them.
Scroth, I believe manufacture under licence, as do Stand21.

I've never seen any mention of crossing the belts Eddy, in fact all the website (above) information says to keep the shoulder belt as short as possible. It does however give dimensions for the distance between the shoulder straps and the angle of the straps behind the shoulders is precise.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 09:47 (Ref:1459477)   #56
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John, after we indured the first problems with Hans early this year, we contacted Stand21, they told us to cross the belts.
In the office I have some written things about this, even from the FIA. I'll look it up tomorrow, when back in the office.