Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 5 Nov 2012, 19:17 (Ref:3163000)   #751
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
talking about TV numbers in the US, yesterday instead of showing football at the noon time slot (CST) Fox nationally broadcasted a Liverpool vs. Newcastle game...it broke into the top 10 sports programs for the day.

http://sgi.socialguide.com/social_tv_ratings

might have to do some fiddling to get to the sporting events section.

was a) surprised FOX thinks that EPL is worth showing against NFL and b) maybe gave me some hope that F1 can make more inroads then i had earlier speculated.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 20:22 (Ref:3163027)   #752
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
Except nobody in the US knows who Fernando Alonso or Sebastian Vettel are.
Not the biggest market but more than let's say, I don't know, Abu Dhabi.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 21:55 (Ref:3163060)   #753
alfettafan
Rookie

alfettafan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Long range forecast for Austin, Texas on weekend of 16th - 18th November makes interesting reading...

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/aus.../351193?day=11

...wet, wet and wet...
Old 5 Nov 2012, 23:08 (Ref:3163097)   #754
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like wet.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 23:21 (Ref:3163107)   #755
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I like wet.
On TV ...

Sitting out in the open with water dripping down your neck to watch a sport you have a developing interest in ...

May not be so good for 1st time spectators, and it is difficult to whip the atmosphere into a glorious carnival when everyone is soaked or damped down so to speak. The circuit is very new too, so mud will be a big feature if its wet.

Will be a pity for the average punters if it rains all over the opening event.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 23:36 (Ref:3163116)   #756
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
On TV ...

Sitting out in the open with water dripping down your neck to watch a sport you have a developing interest in ...

May not be so good for 1st time spectators, and it is difficult to whip the atmosphere into a glorious carnival when everyone is soaked or damped down so to speak. The circuit is very new too, so mud will be a big feature if its wet.

Will be a pity for the average punters if it rains all over the opening event.
Did I say on TV ?
Old 5 Nov 2012, 23:57 (Ref:3163122)   #757
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Did I say on TV ?
Wot you like standing in mud up to your knees?

Some of us do stand in mud up to our knees, by necessity!

But, you usually have to develop a bad case of racing sickness before you unthinkingly do it! The USA race fans are F1 tyros, so can't be expected to have advanced stages of our sickness.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 00:38 (Ref:3163134)   #758
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Wot you like standing in mud up to your knees?

Some of us do stand in mud up to our knees, by necessity!

But, you usually have to develop a bad case of racing sickness before you unthinkingly do it! The USA race fans are F1 tyros, so can't be expected to have advanced stages of our sickness.

It all depends on how you face it, some will say they can have fun with all the "problems" and some will say it's not worth. But I guess it's about what you experience through life to say something is not good enough to try and have it.

But I guess you're right, I can't speak for the USA F1 fans as you do but it's better to avoid all the issues of a wet weekend race.

Still, I love wet.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 01:42 (Ref:3163147)   #759
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The potential for a wet race, (however remote) kept me away from Austin.

When I attended Indy it was with the Mrs. who would have divorced me if it rained on her or there was unabated sun to deal with so for $150 US each we had grandstand seats under the overhang at the start/finish line. Replicating the same seats at Austin would probably have been a PSL or cost me $1200 or more so I passed.

I hope it doesn't rain in Austin for the sake of those who have more understanding companions!
Old 6 Nov 2012, 04:12 (Ref:3163170)   #760
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
talking about TV numbers in the US, yesterday instead of showing football at the noon time slot (CST) Fox nationally broadcasted a Liverpool vs. Newcastle game...

was a) surprised FOX thinks that EPL is worth showing against NFL and b) maybe gave me some hope that F1 can make more inroads then i had earlier speculated.
Chili, on Sunday Fox had only a single game broadcast. Some of the Fox games, e.g., Carolina vs. Washington were broadcast live at 1PM and some were live at 4PM. The EPL game was broadcast live only to those markets whose NFL team was playing at 4 instead of 1.

So you can't say that Fox broadcast soccer "instead of" an NFL game. They were just filling an open Sunday afternoon sports time slot with a soccer game because they couldn't broadcast an NFL double-header. Though soccer has become much more popular in the U.S., it will never bump the NFL off the tube.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 13:42 (Ref:3163356)   #761
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
Except nobody in the US knows who Fernando Alonso or Sebastian Vettel are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'm sure some race fans do and for those who don't, then F1 needs to do some marketing and promoting.
Mario Andretti addressed that at the grand opening of CotA, saying that there never has been a true home for F1 in the United States since Watkins Glen.

Now having CotA, a track that is purpose-built for F1 as a location for drivers to learn, as well as exposure for the F1 "brand" to the United States.

And yes, it sucks that F1's return to the United States butts up against the NASCAR finale. It is what it is, though.
There will be a lot of media attention on Austin and F1 this weekend. I think that it will quickly become apparent to the rest of the US population what F1 is and how exciting it is (or can be).

I will be at CotA in two weeks, just as I have planned for about two years. I'm excited as a kid getting his first two-wheeler on Christmas.
My wife and two-year old will be there on Sunday for the race, although she isn't a fan of the shuttles to/from the track. She likes Barber, although I think she's biased, being from Birmingham.

It will be our first F1 race. We have attended GrandAm, local short tracks (paved and dirt), IndyCar, NASCAR and other racing events.
We both have an expectation of the level of "circus" that will be present.

Some things that I don't like:
- No coolers allowed. I wholly understand not allowing glass bottles. Most tracks don't allow glass. That sort of ruins it for the family that wants to make a "picnic day" at the track.
I've heard that bringing bottled water is acceptable. I'll freeze some the night before and bring them.
- The hotel price gouging. I suppose that is to be expected, to a certain extent.
- No video recording equipment. That's everyone's smartphone, these days. My digital camera shoots video, and it will be going in with me.

Some things that I do like:
- The amount of entertainment that will be available. Personally, I won't be partaking in any of it. Not my thing.
- Everything is poised to soak you for your money. Buying access to the smartphone app for timing/scoring was $30 for the season. Team gear is pricey. I guess I shouldn't expect any less from Bernie, but there's really not a way to be a fan on the cheap.

I'll have a bunch of photos and possibly some video, assuming Bernie's thugs don't come after me.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 16:23 (Ref:3163414)   #762
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
When you come to visit us or watch the race on tv, please remember that it's a new brand new facility..

It's ready to host a race but there is still a lot of work that needs to be completed, it will take a while for all the landscaping to look like something..

I sincerely hope that you enjoy your time here in our wonderful city!
Old 6 Nov 2012, 17:07 (Ref:3163436)   #763
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfettafan View Post
Long range forecast for Austin, Texas on weekend of 16th - 18th November makes interesting reading...

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/aus.../351193?day=11

...wet, wet and wet...
Since when is 0% precipitation "wet", or am I missing something??
Old 6 Nov 2012, 17:14 (Ref:3163437)   #764
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the long term forecast has been updated as it was showing rain when originally posted.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 17:28 (Ref:3163440)   #765
daallo
Rookie

Mexico
Mexico
daallo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mexican media reports that 85% of tickets were bought by Mexicans...More of a Mexican Grand Prix at Tejas?
Old 6 Nov 2012, 17:32 (Ref:3163441)   #766
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by daallo View Post
Mexican media reports that 85% of tickets were bought by Mexicans...More of a Mexican Grand Prix at Tejas?
that's impressive!
Old 6 Nov 2012, 18:10 (Ref:3163460)   #767
daallo
Rookie

Mexico
Mexico
Sorry, 80%. Still I don't think there's this type of precedent in F1. Not so surpirising though: the only North American driver is Mexican (with a legitimate shot of winning), Tejas was one of our largest states and there are still millions of Mexicans there, it's so close to Monterrey, El Paso, San Antonio and the border overall, there is a larger F1 fanbase here than in the US and we're better off economically right now so the fans will do their job, let's see if Sergio does!
Old 6 Nov 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3163473)   #768
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry, 80%. Still I don't think there's this type of precedent in F1. Not so surpirising though: the only North American driver is Mexican...
80% of tickets bought by Mexicans? Not according to the mayor of Austin who said this in the FT article that I quoted above:

About 20 per cent of tickets have been sold to 37 countries outside the US, Leffingwell says, and hopes are high of a large global TV audience.

20% (and this number might be exaggerated) is actually less than what COTA and the city of Austin had been hoping for. It does sound about right to me though, and I think it's a good thing for the race if 80% of the tickets were purchased by Texans and other Americans.

If the race is to be successful, it must have a strong base of local, regional and national support. Look at the strongest grand prix around the world and they are all races with strong local, regional and national support. Look at the weak races and those are the ones trying to rely on foreign visitors. I agree that proximity to Mexico is a good thing for the Austin race, but no way are Mexicans buying 80% of the tickets.
Old 7 Nov 2012, 01:26 (Ref:3163575)   #769
daallo
Rookie

Mexico
Mexico
I can't be sure abut it, it was a journaist that said it but of course somtimes they say stuff just to sell!

We also have to consider that 8 million Mexican natonas live in Texas and they could be great part of that 80% if it's the case.

Still I guess the maor of Austin is a better source..
Old 7 Nov 2012, 18:06 (Ref:3163809)   #770
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
I can't be sure abut it, it was a journaist that said it but of course somtimes they say stuff just to sell!

We also have to consider that 8 million Mexican natonas live in Texas and they could be great part of that 80% if it's the case.

Still I guess the maor of Austin is a better source..
natonas ???
Old 8 Nov 2012, 01:07 (Ref:3163937)   #771
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Click image for larger version

Name:	598947_548586605167684_138055830_n.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	39043The 747's start to arrive...
Attached Thumbnails
21269_548586571834354_1914194039_n.jpg  
Old 8 Nov 2012, 11:44 (Ref:3164059)   #772
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Attachment 39043The 747's start to arrive...
This makes me excited.

Jeremy - I take it that you're actually working at the track?
Old 8 Nov 2012, 13:39 (Ref:3164087)   #773
BlackWidow
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wellington, Telford
BlackWidow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know what the expected F1 lap time for Circuit of the Americas ?
Old 8 Nov 2012, 14:57 (Ref:3164108)   #774
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
Does anyone know what the expected F1 lap time for Circuit of the Americas ?
They are thinking around a 1.40.00
Old 8 Nov 2012, 14:59 (Ref:3164109)   #775
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythoughtsareracing View Post
This makes me excited.

Jeremy - I take it that you're actually working at the track?
No, i just wish to keep the thread balanced with some good news..
Closed Thread