Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 8 Mar 2017, 07:57 (Ref:3717203)   #801
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Wahoo the best engine ever. With their bloody Vé doué you can give power to anything, just adjust camshafts and ignition to the needs. The Monster is practical because of the saddle heigh. OK, in general you have to cope with a funny steering… But what an engine!
We use to have power restrictions here, what is the maximum output allowed in UK?
No power limits now- there was a period when supposed to be! Yes, DUC is hard work to steer even with straight bars. I had BMW GS as well back then and they were much easier to ride fast! Toured all over Europe on beemers, great bikes for that....
Old 8 Mar 2017, 07:58 (Ref:3717205)   #802
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
The Centre of The Universe? I consider that it is situated where ever I happen to be at the time.
Same for a lot of us, Bob......
Old 8 Mar 2017, 08:22 (Ref:3717212)   #803
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Same for a lot of us, Bob......
Yes! But only if you are English.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 08:22 (Ref:3717213)   #804
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I thought the centre of the UK was the Triumph Motorcycle factory in Meriden ?
Unfortunately that joke doesn't work anymore Gordon, Triumph Motorcycles have been made in Hinckley for about 20 years now. (The old Meriden site is a housing estate...)
Old 8 Mar 2017, 08:24 (Ref:3717214)   #805
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Here in Bedfordshire Dunstable is known to be the furthest point from the sea, although in a Vauxhall Astra it does not seem very far.
It still has the water leak then?
Old 8 Mar 2017, 09:02 (Ref:3717218)   #806
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know about the centre of the universe but I know of one place near here that must be the centre of the solar system. Well the guy thinks the sun shines out of his own @r5e...

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 8 Mar 2017, 09:07 (Ref:3717219)   #807
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Unfortunately that joke doesn't work anymore Gordon, Triumph Motorcycles have been made in Hinckley for about 20 years now. (The old Meriden site is a housing estate...)
I did state "was"
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Mar 2017, 10:47 (Ref:3717239)   #808
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I did state "was"
Forgive him Gordon, any man who has sold his Vauxhall can not be held responsible for his own actions.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 10:51 (Ref:3717241)   #809
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Robert you know so many things, quite right about Pétoulet. A real nice gentleman you could talk to as with any "normal" person. I think his last daily was a Panhard 24 BT, nothing for the show off though. Give cars a nickname is a very bad habit some journalists have here. The Ford Capri is said to be a Mustang for the poor (in my case its true!), Open GT is a Corvette for the poor, and almost all Renault Coupé's (R15, R17, Fuego) was said to be the preferred of the hairdresser's assistants! Not very nice.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 12:05 (Ref:3717248)   #810
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
... and almost all Renault Coupé's (R15, R17, Fuego) was said to be the preferred of the hairdresser's assistants! Not very nice.
I don't think that was the case in the UK.

I'm not sure about earlier times but in the UK the Porsche 924 and then the Mazda MX5 gained their reputation as vehicles chosen by hairdressers (usually male hairdressers).

I have no idea why ...

A very long time ago someone I worked with had a Renault 15 (or it might have been a 17) as a company car. He lived in the depths of Somerset but was based in London most of the time so regularly commuted on the M4.

On one trip he was clocked at over 105mph by a police car which pulled up behind him when he drove into a Service area.

Asked what he thought he was doing he replied that he was desperate to use the facilities (which he assured me was not merely an excuse) and was allowed to do so. On his return there was a conversation about safety and better journey planning and he was allowed on his way having apologised for taking up the police time. Being an older gentleman probably helped.

Mind you they probably felt sorry for him. The car was that rather unexciting metallic brown colour that for some reason became somewhat common on the roads in the mid 70s.
Old 8 Mar 2017, 12:36 (Ref:3717251)   #811
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Robert you know so many things, quite right about Pétoulet.
There's a reason Bob knows so many things- He is a wise old sage. Hope that translates- it's nothing to do with herbs....

UK Hairdressers cars? BMW Z3 has to be in the list, surely- except the M Coupe, of course.

I have a recent Samsung 'smart' TV- should I make sure am properly dressed while watching it- and refrain from burping or licking the plate after supper?
Old 8 Mar 2017, 15:36 (Ref:3717295)   #812
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I don't think that was the case in the UK.

I'm not sure about earlier times but in the UK the Porsche 924 and then the Mazda MX5 gained their reputation as vehicles chosen by hairdressers (usually male hairdressers).

I have no idea why ...

A very long time ago someone I worked with had a Renault 15 (or it might have been a 17) as a company car. He lived in the depths of Somerset but was based in London most of the time so regularly commuted on the M4.

On one trip he was clocked at over 105mph by a police car which pulled up behind him when he drove into a Service area.

Asked what he thought he was doing he replied that he was desperate to use the facilities (which he assured me was not merely an excuse) and was allowed to do so. On his return there was a conversation about safety and better journey planning and he was allowed on his way having apologised for taking up the police time. Being an older gentleman probably helped.

Mind you they probably felt sorry for him. The car was that rather unexciting metallic brown colour that for some reason became somewhat common on the roads in the mid 70s.
I know a similar tale to that - do you remember the temporary 50mph limit during the fuel crisis? At the time a friend of ours had a Marina TC & a mechanic wrote it off road testing it after service so the garage provided our friend with a new car. I had completed running it in at about the same time as the 50 limit was lifted. Making a journey across the Fens on a quiet straight road he thought he'd give it a bit of a go, only to be flagged down by a policeman.

"Good morning, sir. I take it you realise the 50mph limit is no longer in force?

"Yes, I know that"

"Well, the 70 limit still stands - perhaps you could explain why we've clocked you doing 100 mph."

Before he could think of an answer, the policeman continued: "This is a Marina TC isn't it - is it standard?

"Yes"

"That's funny sir, our patrol car is a Marina TC & that won't do 100!

There then followed a discussion (presumably a short one!) on the merits of Marina's and they sent him on his way!
Old 8 Mar 2017, 15:38 (Ref:3717296)   #813
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
There's a reason Bob knows so many things- He is a wise old sage. Hope that translates- it's nothing to do with herbs....

UK Hairdressers cars? BMW Z3 has to be in the list, surely- except the M Coupe, of course.

I have a recent Samsung 'smart' TV- should I make sure am properly dressed while watching it- and refrain from burping or licking the plate after supper?
Hairdresser's car? Surely the Nissan Micra Cabriolet in pink tops the list!
Old 8 Mar 2017, 15:55 (Ref:3717300)   #814
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Hairdresser's car? Surely the Nissan Micra Cabriolet in pink tops the list!

More like assistants to hairdressers....

That particular Micra model will probably finish up as collectable!
Old 8 Mar 2017, 22:20 (Ref:3717350)   #815
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Nah - the CIA deserve everything they get........

Should any of your actrivities be "you-tube worthy" you could negotiate with them for distribution rights.......
Old 9 Mar 2017, 06:22 (Ref:3717423)   #816
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Nah - the CIA deserve everything they get........

Should any of your actrivities be "you-tube worthy" you could negotiate with them for distribution rights.......
Old 9 Mar 2017, 07:40 (Ref:3717433)   #817
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm currently in a sunny and pleasantly mild Barcelona for F1 Testing. Got woken up last night by excessive tooting of horns and the locals becoming rather rowdy in the streets. Quite a win & turnaround for Barcelona in the european footie last night.

Meanwhile, no signs of F1 cost savings in the paddock:
Attached Thumbnails
_1T25364_10Tenths.jpg  
Old 9 Mar 2017, 11:44 (Ref:3717494)   #818
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I recently obtained device that allows one to digitize copies of 35mm slides using "proper" digital camera.

I've been testing it to get a feel for the specifics of how it needs to be used for optimal results. Part of that has meent grabbing a selection of rather random slides and trying them out.

Yesterday I found some general shots of the track and the crowd taken at Donington in what I think would be the early 80s. On of them has a couple of Chevron B8s (or B6s?) heading into the Old Hairpin. Nothing much changes really ... It might have been a British Saloon Car meeting I think and presumably this was a supporting race.

Anyway, the main points are that it's the circuit as it was before most of the trees were removed, the run-offs widened and gravel traps introduced and totally lacks any debris fences.

The spectators seem to be mostly in the 20 to 40 age group I would guess, probably 25 to 35 for the majority.

They are all quite "trim", taking up little space on the grass.

The marshals, some wearing what I assume must be hand-me-down fireproof racing overalls, seem mostly to be in the 20 to 30 age group as well.

Presumably the same people now turn up to Historic meetings?
Old 9 Mar 2017, 12:13 (Ref:3717500)   #819
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I'm currently in a sunny and pleasantly mild Barcelona for F1 Testing. Got woken up last night by excessive tooting of horns and the locals becoming rather rowdy in the streets. Quite a win & turnaround for Barcelona in the european footie last night.

Meanwhile, no signs of F1 cost savings in the paddock:
That was some turnaround last night! Bet it was noisy......

Hope you're enjoying all the parked up Maccas with smoking engines- jammy wotsit!
Old 9 Mar 2017, 13:15 (Ref:3717511)   #820
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
......Hope you're enjoying all the parked up Maccas with smoking engines- jammy wotsit!
Maccas not doing too well at all, two red flags before lunch for them. I prefer the parked up Aston Martins - which are the Red Bull official cars. Just had lunch with them, wondering if I can wangle a drive next.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1821_10Tenths.jpg  
Old 9 Mar 2017, 15:21 (Ref:3717532)   #821
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Maccas not doing too well at all, two red flags before lunch for them. I prefer the parked up Aston Martins - which are the Red Bull official cars. Just had lunch with them, wondering if I can wangle a drive next.
In one of the Astons, I hope. Not sure you'd fit in a modern F1- or any of us for that matter!
Old 9 Mar 2017, 15:46 (Ref:3717535)   #822
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
In one of the Astons, I hope. Not sure you'd fit in a modern F1- or any of us for that matter!
Now I'm not one to complain, but! Is this really the right place for a discussion about present day Formula 1?

Gary, there are sections devoted to the current generation of cars and drivers in Eff Wun, and there are a lot of REALLY nice people who post there, you will, I'm sure get on very well with them. (Best of luck, mate)

Mr Bell as a Mod on this forum you should not be encouraging Gary by participating in the discussion. Let us stick to what we know.

Bob Old sage. Who knows his sage from his onions.

Note; I have found in the past that dining with Red Bull means Haute Cuisine and small portions.
Old 9 Mar 2017, 16:08 (Ref:3717538)   #823
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Bob, if it helps I've brought two copies of Classic & Sports Car mag to occupy me whilst the cars blast round - so there is an historical aspect to my work this week.
Old 9 Mar 2017, 16:41 (Ref:3717546)   #824
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Now I'm not one to complain, but! Is this really the right place for a discussion about present day Formula 1?
If I had my way, as a historic tenther Gary wouldn't even be allowed to attend an F1 test, let alone post about it!

Yours, insanely jealous.......
Old 9 Mar 2017, 18:02 (Ref:3717559)   #825
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Surely F1 is the classic example of rapid historic status.

Every year the cars become obsolete for the following year and thus, at least in theory, head straight to historic status.

Now, if the new owners are creative enough I don't see why they could not arrange for some of the relatively ancient F1 cars - say, more than 3 years old - to be run in historic series (one per major specification change) alongside the F1 calendar.
Closed Thread