Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Dec 2015, 12:06 (Ref:3597474)   #876
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If that's supposed to be a legal document, even allowing for English not being the first language of the government. I would have expected it to have the correct punctuation.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 12:16 (Ref:3597476)   #877
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Wonder if they know Manor Grand Prix Racing Ltd is currently under a CVA? (Company Voluntary Arrangement with creditors). Net worth on last accounts -£60 million.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 13:30 (Ref:3597489)   #878
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems to me that the main candidates for these seats are Stevens, Rossi, Haryanto and Wehrlein.
Haryanto and Stevens bring the most money but arguably is the weakest driver lineup of the 4.

Worth noting too that Stevens and Rossi are the only two who definitely have no issues with Superlicences. Neither Haryanto nor Wehrlein have enough points
Old 13 Dec 2015, 14:48 (Ref:3597500)   #879
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
It seems to me that the main candidates for these seats are Stevens, Rossi, Haryanto and Wehrlein.
Haryanto and Stevens bring the most money but arguably is the weakest driver lineup of the 4.

Worth noting too that Stevens and Rossi are the only two who definitely have no issues with Superlicences. Neither Haryanto nor Wehrlein have enough points
And here demonstrates the problem of creating a Superlicence rule that throws the baby out with the bathwater. No disrespect to Stevens or Rossi - who I'd both class as capable drivers who aren't out of place in F1 - but there is no way that a driver like Wehrlein should be in any danger of not getting a license.

The Haryanto situation is a little less clear cut, as he hasn't quite got the same CV behind him. That said, he showed he can perform at Rossi's level this year in GP2.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 12:40 (Ref:3597683)   #880
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i don't know, it's been interesting to see mercedes all of a sudden pull their fingers out and start putting wehrlein in relevant cars and getting him the dtm title he needed to have the credibility outside of the mercedes setup. it seems as though the superlicence requirements has forced their hand this season.

not much comment to make about haryanto, it's very clear that to have an anywhere near valid opinion of a lot of the gp2 and formula renault 3.5 guys you need to have worked with them. but i suspect that nikki katz' comment about him finally deciding to relocate this season and his results demonstrating the benefits is a good indicator that he's going to get better.

shame it took him this long to realise that though. the south americans have been all about the european life from their mid-teens for decades, hence most of them speak more languages than you can shake a stick at.
Old 16 Dec 2015, 07:27 (Ref:3598094)   #881
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Bella is very near the mark. The 2 series (GP2 and 3.5) do throw up wildly varying from from a lot of the fancied drivers which from the outside may seem like inexperience but maybe due to other factors that are not obviously apparent.

I guess only team managers, race engineers and the drivers themselves can tell us.
Old 22 Dec 2015, 21:07 (Ref:3599528)   #882
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just wondering if anyone has any news about John Booth/Graeme Lowden, real racing guys both of them.
Old 26 Dec 2015, 15:25 (Ref:3600273)   #883
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any news about John Booth/Graeme Lowden, real racing guys both of them.
Only rumours of a Manor LMP project in WEC at some point.
Old 29 Dec 2015, 10:38 (Ref:3600673)   #884
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I heard that the team required €24 million from the drivers and so with Haryanto putting in €15 million that leaves €9 million as the price of the second seat, or £6.6 million
Old 30 Dec 2015, 01:38 (Ref:3600802)   #885
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
I heard that the team required €24 million from the drivers and so with Haryanto putting in €15 million that leaves €9 million as the price of the second seat, or £6.6 million
Unless of course they sell Friday seats... or maybe that's an extra revenue stream... €300k per Friday session was reported somewhere as the price to play.. which might make it a free ride for someone
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 30 Dec 2015, 12:48 (Ref:3600940)   #886
p-matt
Veteran

I'm not sure Haryanto has the 15m secured. Wehrlein is looking increasingly out of the running, so that leaves Stevens and Rossi, and I doubt they have 24m between them
Old 31 Dec 2015, 16:37 (Ref:3601196)   #887
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It's understandable but a shame that Mercedes aren't willing to put up enough cash to secure the seat for Wehrlein. It might be handy to have him F1-trained if Rosberg leaves the team in the near future.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 10:22 (Ref:3613604)   #888
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
It's understandable but a shame that Mercedes aren't willing to put up enough cash to secure the seat for Wehrlein. It might be handy to have him F1-trained if Rosberg leaves the team in the near future.
Seems Toto reads 10/10ths, does this Wehrlein news make Manor the Mercedes junior team? (See Autosport)

It will be interesting to see who gets the other seat
Old 10 Feb 2016, 11:37 (Ref:3613622)   #889
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Really good news for Manor and for Wehrlein. He clearly deserves to be in Formula 1. Hope Stevens holds on to the other seat - he's been quietly impressive in difficult circumstances.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 11:41 (Ref:3613623)   #890
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Happy to see Wehrlein, hopefully he can lift the team. We'll see who gets the second seat
Old 10 Feb 2016, 12:58 (Ref:3613640)   #891
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Either of Stevens and Rossi have done enough to deserve it. Which means nothing, of course.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 13:46 (Ref:3613655)   #892
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
rossi has been in the press making positive noises about how his negotiations are going, fwiw.

personally i'd have preferred to see ocon in that manor seat but mercedes have spent a while preening wehrlein for f1 so it makes sense.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 13:50 (Ref:3613657)   #893
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Only rumours of a Manor LMP project in WEC at some point.
It's now a reality.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122735
Old 10 Feb 2016, 16:24 (Ref:3613688)   #894
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Either of Stevens and Rossi have done enough to deserve it. Which means nothing, of course.
I don't think Stevens has done enough at all. Rossi outclassed him with no testing in his handful of outings last year.

I'm still confused as to why Merhi didn't go better against Will. Roberto is/was supposed to be one to watch.

Maybe Mercedes dropped him from their junior prog for a reason...
Old 10 Feb 2016, 16:26 (Ref:3613690)   #895
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Merhi got better as the season went on. Didn't he drop the F.Renault campaign at some point?
Old 10 Feb 2016, 17:31 (Ref:3613723)   #896
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
rossi has been in the press making positive noises about how his negotiations are going, fwiw.
An American driver as well as an American team in F1 would do no harm when COTA is struggling to keep hold of the US GP.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 19:57 (Ref:3613782)   #897
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I don't think Stevens has done enough at all. Rossi outclassed him with no testing in his handful of outings last year.

I'm still confused as to why Merhi didn't go better against Will. Roberto is/was supposed to be one to watch.

Maybe Mercedes dropped him from their junior prog for a reason...
I think you may have just answered your own question, mate

I don't think anyone expected anything from Will, by and large, but the fact he seemed to get the better of Mehri more often than not, spoke some volume.

Solid drives, not spectacular.

Selby
Old 10 Feb 2016, 20:55 (Ref:3613800)   #898
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I don't see how you can be spectacular in their cars. Best bit I ever saw was Jules wheel banging round Rascasse at Monaco for a well deserved point.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 22:55 (Ref:3613827)   #899
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I think you may have just answered your own question, mate

I don't think anyone expected anything from Will, by and large, but the fact he seemed to get the better of Mehri more often than not, spoke some volume.

Solid drives, not spectacular.

Selby
I think it's more likely that the second car was just fodder unless someone with a bit of money turned up to drive it!
Old 10 Feb 2016, 23:07 (Ref:3613834)   #900
p-matt
Veteran

Will has gone very quiet, which makes me think it's between Rossi and Haryanto. And probably down to if Haryanto can stump up the cash or not