Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 27 Mar 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2426354)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.cosmic.pope View Post
I guess I'm one of the few who dislike Ants commentary. From the word go at Hungary it was all about himself, right up to the point where Jenson crossed the line, and Ant was still talking about himself. Yesterday wasn't much different, but the constant dumb questions began to annoy me. FP1s commentary wasn't much of an improvement over ITV, reading out silly texts and having silly conversations. FP2s I found far more professional and insightful.

I'd rather have Coulthard as second commentator over Davidson. With no team links anymore (unlike Ant) he can he more harsh in his comments, rather than side stepping around questions (like that Bruno Senna question) and giving long drawn out answers.

Commentary isn't easy. I sure as hell couldn't do it. But I don't think Ant is really that good tbh. Stick to driving - I rate Ant there.
And Ant didn't handle the Senna question in a fairly 'harsh' manner?? I thought it was pretty un-P.R tbh lol I think he did a tremendous job of giving his real feelings on the situation, regardless of his ties!

Selby
Old 27 Mar 2009, 20:24 (Ref:2426394)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.cosmic.pope View Post
FP1s commentary wasn't much of an improvement over ITV, reading out silly texts and having silly conversations. FP2s I found far more professional and insightful.
In context this is free practice. I think that style fits it perfectly - after all nothing () is happening.

I have it repeated on the red button now. I am loving it.

All is right with the world.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 18:55 (Ref:2426346)   #3
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/f1mole/20...new-f1-tv.html

Theres the link.

Didn't actually watch it myself as I want to wait untill it is to be followed by some f1.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 18:59 (Ref:2426348)   #4
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The opening few seconds of the BBC title sequence has been uploaded onto thier site. Don't click below if you want to wait till tomorrow morning!

Old 27 Mar 2009, 19:17 (Ref:2426358)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
The opening few seconds of the BBC title sequence has been uploaded onto thier site. Don't click below if you want to wait till tomorrow morning!

I've assumed that TSN won't show this, so I looked. Looks cool. It was magnificent to hear The Chain once more. I totally disagree with those who say it shouldn't have been used!
Old 27 Mar 2009, 19:24 (Ref:2426362)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
I've assumed that TSN won't show this, so I looked. Looks cool. It was magnificent to hear The Chain once more. I totally disagree with those who say it shouldn't have been used!
Me too. Fact of the matter is, BBC need to get a balance between new comers and anoraks. The anoraks love The Chain, and the people somewhere in between (Ex-fans whose interest have dwindled) will atleast recognise it. Noobs won't know it as such, but for me, this flashy opening sequence almost levels it out, so to speak. If they had a completely retro style intro sequence (lots of old footage etc), then Mr Newboy could complain that it's leaning too much towards being a retrospective show. But I think by having this nice flashy video (it's really quite cool..) set to this vintage music, it's a nice combination for all.

Plus, you heard the amount of that new trashy music they've been playing in the hype videos? That surely levels it out!

Selby
Old 27 Mar 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2426368)   #7
calibrax
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rochester, Kent
calibrax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching and listening to that clip sent shivers down my spine. It's sooooooo good to hear the proper music and for F1 to be back where it belongs! No ads, slick tyres, unpredictability, The Chain, Martin Brundle, no James Allen... 99% perfect. The only way it could possibly be any better would be for Murray to commentate!
Old 27 Mar 2009, 20:50 (Ref:2426411)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrax View Post
Watching and listening to that clip sent shivers down my spine. It's sooooooo good to hear the proper music and for F1 to be back where it belongs! No ads, slick tyres, unpredictability, The Chain, Martin Brundle, no James Allen... 99% perfect. The only way it could possibly be any better would be for Murray to commentate!
I agree with that, with the exception of a couple of points.

I wouldn't necessarily say things are going to be unpredictable: after things have settled come Europe, we'll presumably see reasonable predictability (the relative competitiveness of the various teams may well have changed from last year, of course).

I don't think Murray commentating would make it better. He is part of commentating past now, and that is OK. I think he stopped two or three years too late as it is, so I don't suppose the intervening years will have helped make him get back on his game. Don't misunderstand me: I am not saying he doesn't have anything to offer the F1 Realm, but rather that his days as a regular commentator should remain that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard View Post
*ahem* If anyone has a UK Web Proxy they wouldn't mind sharing with me (my brother is in California and would dearly love to watch the live streaming), then if you could PM it to me it'd be very very much appreciated!
If that same person feels like giving me such aid, it would likewise being greatly appreciated!
Old 27 Mar 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2426361)   #9
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Loving the chain, not so fussed about the clip bit they showed (never been afan of these put together images i prefer real footage) so am hoping the second half is gonna show us some actual action!! (I'm thinking back to how good the chain was accompanying senna and mansell wheel to wheel at Barcelona!)
Old 27 Mar 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2426421)   #10
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*ahem* If anyone has a UK Web Proxy they wouldn't mind sharing with me (my brother is in California and would dearly love to watch the live streaming), then if you could PM it to me it'd be very very much appreciated!
Old 27 Mar 2009, 20:58 (Ref:2426423)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Deserving, makes him sound like a charity
Old 27 Mar 2009, 21:01 (Ref:2426426)   #12
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore View Post
Deserving, makes him sound like a charity
It is a major bugbear of mine when people talk about who deserves or doesn't deserve a seat.

Deserving doesn't come into it.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2426435)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
It is a major bugbear of mine when people talk about who deserves or doesn't deserve a seat.

Deserving doesn't come into it.
So what does?
Old 28 Mar 2009, 00:16 (Ref:2426531)   #14
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
So what does?
Teams select drivers based on what they can bring to the team, be it pace, technical ability, a good image, money or a variety of those factors. If a driver doesn't get a ride it's because the teams feel there are better options out there. It really is as simple as that.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 00:24 (Ref:2426536)   #15
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Teams select drivers based on what they can bring to the team, be it pace, technical ability, a good image, money or a variety of those factors. If a driver doesn't get a ride it's because the teams feel there are better options out there. It really is as simple as that.
While I see things as pragmatical as you do, don't you have sympathy for the notion that drivers should be chosen on sporting aspects only?
Old 27 Mar 2009, 21:02 (Ref:2426428)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Of course, Ant's statement [I am working on the basis Satorian's quotation of his words is accurate] surely means, by implication, that Ant is saying he himself is not deserving of an F1 drive?
Old 27 Mar 2009, 21:10 (Ref:2426432)   #17
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
I was paraphrasing there. Don't remember which exact words he used.

That being said, 'deserving' does not necessarily mean 'deserving on pace'. There are other merits, especially taking into account that for most teams F1 is mainly a big marketing exercise, and not just a sport. Such is life.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 21:19 (Ref:2426442)   #18
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Back to thread I think the Beeb have done a superb job really

ITV were a little out on a limb really, I never used their website for anything, wheras I use teh BBC site a lot fo news and weather etc, so am constantly more exposed to thier F1 stuff

I think the track guides are very good if a little finnicky and they stuff they have been doing regarding rules is fine

Not sure about the main guy yet, cant get used to him not talling abotu milk bottle tops and Fairy Liquid bottles!! Seems a bit young but knows his stuff ok

Coverage is not theri deal, they can only pick up feeds I guess, but so far fine
Old 27 Mar 2009, 21:21 (Ref:2426443)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I thought Nakajima did admirably well last year. He did a decent job in practice yesterday. If he goes on upward learning curve this year, then he could well turn out perfectly respectable. He wasn't spectacular in '08, but I reckon he earned this second season on the basis of performance (although, of course, in reality, we know it has all been about other things).

The website scenario is incomparable. The ITV-F1 site was so pathetic it was just tragic. The BBC, on the other hand, has an excellent website - so it is no surprise the F1 component is of a high standard.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 00:30 (Ref:2426540)   #20
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I think we would all like that, but that doesn't mean it is relevant to assess the actual world on the basis of a fantasy one.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 02:11 (Ref:2426569)   #21
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
I think we would all like that, but that doesn't mean it is relevant to assess the actual world on the basis of a fantasy one.
So you don't want people to state their opinions or preferences here? If somebody says that a particular driver "deserves" a seat, this statement is but an expression of their own evaluation. Have you never stated what you would like things to be or which change you hope to see?
Old 28 Mar 2009, 03:36 (Ref:2426591)   #22
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorian View Post
So you don't want people to state their opinions or preferences here? If somebody says that a particular driver "deserves" a seat, this statement is but an expression of their own evaluation. Have you never stated what you would like things to be or which change you hope to see?
Stating an opinion on what you would prefer, or would change, is not the same thing as getting into whether something is. One is a subjective thing, whereas the other is making a claim to something being absolute. Anyway, I think we are thinking of different things: you were talking about people using the term "deserves" in the subjective sense, whereas I was meaning from the POV of people using it in the absolute sense. Suffice to say, I was not at all suggesting people shouldn't express their opinions: that is the point of forums.

Regarding the topic, I am getting my first hear of the BBC commentary. It seems good to me.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 03:36 (Ref:2426589)   #23
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 Awesome comments by Ant there. "Boohoo" to Kubicas complaining about Lewis. And "Read the label - motorsport is dangerous".

I may have to retract my previous comments.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 03:44 (Ref:2426593)   #24
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ant's commentary. Insightful stuff.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 04:50 (Ref:2426614)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm really enjoying the coverage, especially the high amount of viewer interaction - normally that bugs the hell out of me (maybe it's just phone ins) but it keeps conversation going, and i keep learning stuff as well. there's no pomposity, no ego battling, and nobody trying to tell me what i can see perfectly well on the screen.

i'm sure that'll all change by the end of the season, but i'm liking it so far