Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 3 Mar 2015, 03:14 (Ref:3510988)   #76
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Hyndman View Post
Hi woodart, just a few reasons (from what I understand) as to why jetsprinting ceased at Manfeild:
-Dirty water washing over the track from the jetsprint pond (as the boats did their runs) leaving the track filthy afterwards,
- The risk of cars spinning into the pond (yes, I know it's on the inside of a corner but I'm reliably informed cars do on occasion spin in there - plus when the circuit was used in the reverse direction the pond was on the outside of the exit of the previous corner),
- The cost of hiring the whole circuit to stage a jetsprint (as you can't run a motorsport event at the same time as a jetsprint) was prohibitive,
- Launching and retrieving boats from the pond resulted in more dirt/mud being dragged onto the seal as there was no paving between the launch ramp and the track.
- The pond was a fantastic breeding ground for mosquitos (possibly not an actual reason but now that the pond is gone, not having mozzies there is a good thing).

At a guess, I could imagine the rallycross track would result in more dirt being dragged onto the seal, which would not be at all appreciated by track users and presumably would accelerate wear and tear on the seal. In addition to this, rallycross is a seldom run event, with few competitors and the hiring of the entire track to run a rallycross would again be prohibitive.

Now that the track extension has been walled off, it's possible that jetsprints and rallycross could be held on the back track.

On the subject of Manfeild in general, AFAIK, the staff at Manfeild don't run any events. They rent the place out to car clubs, MotorSport New Zealand, the Feilding IA&P Association, private hirers etc. While the NZGP is a big event, it is just one event that is run by others and I'd be surprised if it really is the difference between the Manfeild Park operation surviving or teetering on the brink of financial disaster. I'd suspect that either the media have not got that quite right or someone has said that to add weight to Manfeild keeping the NZGP.
I believe that Manfeild make a good proportion of their revenue from IA&P shows and good on them if it keeps the place going. While the holding of the Royal Show in December has robbed me of a date that I used to book for motorsport, I can fully understand why Manfeild would want to rent the facility out for a big horsey event instead of an entry level car club event.

Sorry for such a long first post!
Hi Alan,
I was on the Manfield Board when the Jetsprint track was built and subsequently filled-in a few (3?) years later. You must have read the board minutes as you have summerised the reasons well; but left out the main one. It never made any money.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 04:18 (Ref:3511000)   #77
Alan Hyndman
Rookie

Alan Hyndman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond View Post
Hi Alan,
I was on the Manfield Board when the Jetsprint track was built and subsequently filled-in a few (3?) years later. You must have read the board minutes as you have summerised the reasons well; but left out the main one. It never made any money.
----------------
Hi Ray,
Nope - I just grilled Smoothy to expand what I'd heard over the years. He'd probably grilled Julian H at some point in the past.
Heck, was it only there for 3 years? Any idea how long the rallycross track was there?
Old 3 Mar 2015, 07:20 (Ref:3511029)   #78
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Appreciate the information.

These ideas being bounced around are great, but I have to wonder, do kart tracks make any money? From what I have seen, it appears they are just barely ticking along also, so the idea of incorporating a kart track into a car track surely wouldn't be a solution and would actually call for more financial outlay up front.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 08:16 (Ref:3511043)   #79
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
Appreciate the information.

These ideas being bounced around are great, but I have to wonder, do kart tracks make any money? From what I have seen, it appears they are just barely ticking along also, so the idea of incorporating a kart track into a car track surely wouldn't be a solution and would actually call for more financial outlay up front.
Whilst I am inclined to agree with you Mikuni, I am told by the ex Mayor of Taupo Rick Cooper that during the summer tourist season there would be strong demand for a professionally run outdoor Kart Track at the Taupo race circuit.

So maybe there is an opportunity to help expand the circuits off track use, certainly Tony Quinn believes there is and a kart track modeled on his successful Cromwell model was definitely part of TQ's plans for the circuit if his offer had been excepted.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 08:47 (Ref:3511054)   #80
The Realist
Racer

The Realist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where to now for Taupo Circuit?
http://www.speedcafe.com/2015/03/03/...er-taupo-snub/
Old 3 Mar 2015, 09:45 (Ref:3511074)   #81
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
was it a "snub" or the powers that be not wanting to be "low-balled"

yes, his input would have improved the track facilities, but at what cost to current users ?

bear in mind, he didn't create Highlands, he merely "fast-tracked" it's completion.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 10:04 (Ref:3511081)   #82
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post

yes, his input would have improved the track facilities, but at what cost to current users ?

bear in mind, he didn't create Highlands, he merely "fast-tracked" it's completion.
What he said
Old 3 Mar 2015, 17:45 (Ref:3511244)   #83
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:

Ditto.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 18:43 (Ref:3511265)   #84
Bill Brown
Racer

Bill Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Spot on Joe

Kiwi classes are not rushing back to highlands because its to expensive
Old 3 Mar 2015, 19:40 (Ref:3511288)   #85
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brown View Post
Spot on Joe

Kiwi classes are not rushing back to Highlands because it's too expensive
What makes it expensive? Are we talking about race entry fees? Garaging? Local accommodation? Getting there? Or all of the above?

We know that it would be expensive for North island based teams to race there but is it also deemed expensive for South Island teams?

High profile meetings naturally cost more to enter, even though 50 years ago, even class winners in UK National meetings, down to 3rd place got prize money - mind you, the crowds were large so income was up.

I'm afraid that travel and accommodation costs, not to mention time off work, is always going to work against any track that is away from the main population centres. Although Taupo is bang in the middle of the North Island, it is still a disproportionate chunk of the annual racing budget for both Wellington and Auckland based drivers, even if is just one round of a six round series.

If HD ever gets the second track finished, it effectively adds two more tracks to the possibilities so with Pukekohe still hanging on, four track layouts within an hour of Auckland and Hamilton makes Taupo in its present form, even less attractive for the budget conscious.

We only leave Taupo in our own Series' now because drivers like an alternative to the existing Pukekohe and Hampton Downs tracks. It isn't in the calendar because they rave about driving there and being able to drop one or two rounds per season to leave just five points scoring rounds, means they don't have to attend.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 20:00 (Ref:3511295)   #86
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
50 years ago, even class winners in UK National meetings, down to 3rd place got prize money .
20 -25 years ago we still got prize money in New Zealand, often down to 6th -10th place at some of the bigger meetings. Hell we even used to get prize money and normal South Island race meeting that were not part of a National series.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 20:05 (Ref:3511299)   #87
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Ditto.
Bloody hell !!! you and Joe have finally found something to agree on.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 20:30 (Ref:3511309)   #88
Bill Brown
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
20 -25 years ago we still got prize money in New Zealand, often down to 6th -10th place at some of the bigger meetings. Hell we even used to get prize money and normal South Island race meeting that were not part of a National series.
I think you might have to wind the clock back a bit further than 20-25 years Carl
Old 3 Mar 2015, 20:32 (Ref:3511310)   #89
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Bloody hell !!! you and Joe have finally found something to agree on.
True Carl, but maybe Joe might change his opinion when the dust finally settles in Taupo,

By the way Carl, the Ssangyong Racing Series pay's prizemoney all the way down to 10th place, the round winner walks away with a $1,000 cheque and we are thinking of increasing the prize money pool next season.

Are you going to honour us with your presence this weekend?

If so track me down and we can at least catch up for a natter or maybe a beer or two on Saturday at the clubrooms when the flag's have been put to bed for the night.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 20:51 (Ref:3511316)   #90
Bill Brown
Racer

What makes it expensive? Are we talking about race entry fees? Garaging? Local accommodation? Getting there? Or all of the above?

We know that it would be expensive for North island based teams to race there but is it also deemed expensive for South Island teams?

Travel and accommodation etc is expensive whether it is north coming south or vice versa.
Three classes that come to mind are SI endurance, TRS, NZST I'm sure there are more.
As an indicator SI endurance is of course already SI based and TRS are in the SI doing other rounds.

Does that answer your question.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 21:18 (Ref:3511325)   #91
raymond
Racer

New Zealand
Palmerston North
raymond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Hyndman View Post
----------------
Hi Ray,
Nope - I just grilled Smoothy to expand what I'd heard over the years. He'd probably grilled Julian H at some point in the past.
Heck, was it only there for 3 years? Any idea how long the rallycross track was there?
Little bit before my time...that was the late 70's and about 3 years as well.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 21:57 (Ref:3511354)   #92
Racetroll
Rookie

Racetroll should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Spot on Joe

Kiwi classes are not rushing back to highlands because its to expensive

Define too expensive?
Old 3 Mar 2015, 22:12 (Ref:3511365)   #93
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post

Are you going to honour us with your presence this weekend?

If so track me down and we can at least catch up for a natter or maybe a beer or two on Saturday at the clubrooms when the flag's have been put to bed for the night.
I suspect that at various times during the weekend you will be honouring me with your presence. My office is upstairs in the clubrooms just above the bar, a room that I suspect that you are most familiar with.

Yeah a natter and a noggin would be good, just keep that Kirk Stoneman under control, he rung me a couple of weeks back to make a bar appointment.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 23:06 (Ref:3511383)   #94
The Realist
Racer

The Realist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Travel and accommodation etc is expensive whether it is north coming south or vice versa.
Three classes that come to mind are SI endurance, TRS, NZST I'm sure there are more.
As an indicator SI endurance is of course already SI based and TRS are in the SI doing other rounds.

Does that answer your question.
Is it only the money, or have category co-ordinators had unpleasant experiences with the staff? Word is that only Central Muscle Cars have a good working relationship with them.
Other promoters and Category's run a mile.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 23:40 (Ref:3511400)   #95
Bill Brown
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
Is it only the money, or have category co-ordinators had unpleasant experiences with the staff? Word is that only Central Muscle Cars have a good working relationship with them.
Other promoters and Category's run a mile.
You are right from what I have heard.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 23:52 (Ref:3511405)   #96
Racetroll
Rookie

Have either of you bothered to go there, or are you just going on he said she said rumors?
Old 4 Mar 2015, 01:03 (Ref:3511425)   #97
Bill Brown
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racetroll View Post
Have either of you bothered to go there, or are you just going on he said she said rumors?
I havn't been there yet I'm still saving for the ticket!

My info came from co-ordinators, competitors and officials who have been there.

There was also a press release published as to the fee Highlands wanted to charge TRS to come back.

I'm sorry I can not back up my info with signed written statements.
Old 4 Mar 2015, 01:10 (Ref:3511430)   #98
Racetroll
Rookie

Entry fees for the classic meeting just gone were $289, not including a marquee. I'd have thought that was fairly normal.
Old 4 Mar 2015, 03:04 (Ref:3511460)   #99
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racetroll View Post
Entry fees for the classic meeting just gone were $289, not including a marquee. I'd have thought that was fairly normal.
For the same fee at the recent 3 day ENZED meeting:

6. WHAT DO YOU GET FOR YOUR ENTRY FEE
 Two Free event entry tickets
 Free practice Friday 13th February - morning
 Qualifying and a minimum of four “six lap” races – weather dependent
 Free nibbles for after race get together Friday and Sunday Night --- (purchase own drink)
 One free entry ticket to the Saturday night marquee prize giving/dine and dance function at which you will receive
o Free souvenir commemorative glass
o Free wine, beer and juice
o Live band
Old 4 Mar 2015, 03:16 (Ref:3511462)   #100
Racetroll
Rookie

Quote:
For the same fee at the recent 3 day ENZED meeting:

6. WHAT DO YOU GET FOR YOUR ENTRY FEE
 Two Free event entry tickets
 Free practice Friday 13th February - morning
 Qualifying and a minimum of four “six lap” races – weather dependent
 Free nibbles for after race get together Friday and Sunday Night --- (purchase own drink)
 One free entry ticket to the Saturday night marquee prize giving/dine and dance function at which you will receive
o Free souvenir commemorative glass
o Free wine, beer and juice
o Live band
That's it. I'm moving to the South Island.