Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 22 Apr 2011, 21:34 (Ref:2868375)   #76
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
first off the hire karts will be slow, theyre half the speed of a kf3 so even if you are close to the lap record at warden law it wont be a true test of ehat youd be like in a kf3

in terms of getting into super 1 ive posted on here before several times that to qualify for super 1/a national a licence that you will need at least a years experience at club level and have raced at more than 3 tracks in the same class.

as far as im aware there are NO clubs in the country that run kf3 apart from super 1 at national level, so you would have to do rotax or tkm at club level for at least a year at more than 3 tracks to get a national a licence, then sell the kart and buy a kf3 kart for super 1.

again costs wise you would need at least 5000 quid, but realistically a minimum of 10000 quid, you can spend anywhere upto and above 50k to be competative.

adam ive tried to be useful and coax you into realising that your ambitions for super1 and beyond are misguided at best in the other threads that you have posted so this will be my last post on the matter, PLEASE take my advice and bring yourself back down to earth, if your serious about racing then go to warden law, see what 2 stroke racing they do there, buy a kart and start testing, sit your arks and start racing at club level, ONLY then will you realise how tough racing is, and lets be honest, no offence to warden law but the club racing scene up there is tiny in comparison to the rest of the country, go to somewhere like 3 sisters, whilton mill and kimbolton and you will be in for a MASSIVE shock at how competative even club racing can be.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2868388)   #77
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
adam1312 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so what you are saying is iv got hardly any chance of getting past club karting and like no chance of f1
Old 22 Apr 2011, 22:22 (Ref:2868389)   #78
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
iv looked at KF3 because i seen super 1 on tv today and someone sponsered by McLaren races KF3 and lewis hamilton raced in JICA which is what changed to KF3 so KF3 is the only way of getting to F1
Old 22 Apr 2011, 22:56 (Ref:2868399)   #79
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1312 View Post
so what you are saying is iv got hardly any chance of getting past club karting and like no chance of f1
Basically, yes.

I am getting pretty sick of the tone of your posts if i'm honest. You are ignorant beyond remark. You rebuff any advice (from knowledgeable posters) with some theoretical claptrap about Ayrton Senna etc.

From what i have gathered from your posts thus far is: You have been to Warden Law. You liked it. Some bloke said your were alright. Your the next British F1 world Champion.....

Thats roughly the same as me thinking i am the next Valentino Rossi after the first time i rode a bike without stabilisers.

But please, go out and prove me wrong and serve me some humble pie.

(I will defrost a pizza just incase though)
Old 22 Apr 2011, 23:10 (Ref:2868403)   #80
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
so what can I do to try and have a go at attempting my goal
Old 22 Apr 2011, 23:20 (Ref:2868409)   #81
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Exactly what ascarracinguk and the other contributors have been saying.

Get along to your local club (warden law i presume) and see what classes they run, and get involved.

You may find some small operations who are willing to run your kart for you at a race weekend, and possibly store it. They do exist, but you will have to get down there and see. Forget anything of Paul Carr Racing standards though, keep an eye out for the larger awnings that have more than 2 karts in them.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 23:23 (Ref:2868410)   #82
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
they run tkm and max jnr and snr both
so mygoal is the extreamly unlikley getting to f1 so how should i start club jnr max to get a national A licence then KF3 super 1 till im 16 then KF2 like lewis hamilton then cars (if i get that far which i probably wont)
if im 14 now what age would i be when i got to super (if i get there)

Last edited by adam1312; 22 Apr 2011 at 23:28.
Old 23 Apr 2011, 06:01 (Ref:2868453)   #83
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
ok so youve determined they run junior tkm and junior rotax, its a good start, you now need to see how much money your parents can afford to spend on you!....that will determine what class you can race in! it will cost about £2000 to buy a kart, engines, racewear, tools etc. your more likely to get a decent tkm rather than a rotax for that kind of money. when you know how much you can spend, go on karting.co.uk they have a marketplace on there where you can buy second hand karts, make sure the kart is fully legal to race in msa races and is in a good condition, SOME people will sell old tat just to get rid of it so be careful!

when youve found a kart you like, go buy it, and get out testing, once your fast enough, sit your arks test then start racing. its april now, so IF your parents have got the money it will take at least a month to go buy all your stuff, then another month AT LEAST of practicing to be up to speed, so you could sit your arks in july probably, and race the last half of the season. youd then need AT LEAST 2012 at club level first at one track, then 2013 at several tracks and MAYBE super 1, so id guess youd be 16 by then.

just out of interest you mentioned you saw kf3 on tv with a lad sponsored by mclaren, that was your reason that you wanted to do kf3.....without sounding harsh, is getting sponsored by mclaren important for you?.....what makes you think that your better than 30 other drivers in kf3 that would get you mclarens sponsorship over drivers that have years of experience?
Old 23 Apr 2011, 07:49 (Ref:2868486)   #84
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
No that's not the reson I want to do kf3, the reason is, I want to become an f1 driver (unlikley but I want to) lewis Hamilton raced jica which is what kf3 is now Paul di resta raced jica. This guy is sponsered by mclaren so he must have at least a chance of getting to f1. So it look like if you want to get to f1 you have to race fk3, but you don't have to start young mark webber stares kartinf aged 14.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 18:26 (Ref:2869148)   #85
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
How hard are KF3 karts to drive?

How hard are KF3 karts to drive:

How careful do you have to be on the throttle?
How hard is it to do competitive lap times?
How much harder are they to drive than hire or slow karts?
Ect
Old 24 Apr 2011, 19:18 (Ref:2869172)   #86
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I once drove a Porsche 911 round Croft on one of those driving experience things. The instructor said 'hey, you're quite quick'. So how do I go about getting a works Audi drive at the Le Mans 24 hours? Should I just email Wolfgang Ullrich and take it from there? Thanks.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 19:38 (Ref:2869188)   #87
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
its not the same as that because i need to get a licence which requires you to do 6 races which would be experience so i would be able to race at super 1 then if i was good which if your quick it means you are. you are saying do one track day then drive for audi in le mans. and im asking about driving the kart anyway
Old 24 Apr 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2869196)   #88
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
adam, Super Hans is pulling your leg. This isn't that much of a surprise and in a way he is helping. Listen to what people have to say and take it on board. Otherwise they'll be more comments like that and not just on forums either.
Looking above people are giving you some good pointers and letting you have the benefit of their experience. You don't have to follow all of it, but don't ignore it.

For interest, to get a National A in car racing you need to get a licence then gain experience. Eventually you can gain more experience, get an internal licence and race at Le Mans. Talent and cash notwithstanding.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 20:04 (Ref:2869215)   #89
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YOUR TOO OLD TO EVER BE PICKED UP BY MCLEARN!!

Stop asking rubbish questions about how hard is this, how hard is that. You need to get a race licence first!
Old 24 Apr 2011, 20:58 (Ref:2869262)   #90
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
its not the same as that because i need to get a licence which requires you to do 6 races which would be experience so i would be able to race at super 1 then if i was good which if your quick it means you are. you are saying do one track day then drive for audi in le mans. and im asking about driving the kart anyway
how hard are 2/ karts like kf to drive???

compared to a hire kart they are 2-3 times quicker, accelerate like theyre going to rip the skin off your face, have a massive amount of grip so after 10 laps your arms will feel like falling off. basically the day after racing one you will feel like youve been spun around in a washing mashine on fast spin and shaken up like a coke can!.....i aint joking!

in terms of how hard they are to drive.....it depends on your perspective, when i first started testing a tkm i was 10 seconds a lap off the pace, it took me 3 test days, about 200 laps to get witthin 2 seconds of the pace, by the end of my fist year i was within 1 second of the ultimate pace and now after 3 years i can lap with the top guys. 2 stroke karts are animals, you need to be precise every lap, they brake hard, corner fast, and accelerate like crazy, they have a huge amount of grip and power.

so how hard are they to drive??? to start with very, they will scare you to death, but if you are sensible and dont think your gods gift to driving you will get quicker and quicker, but go in there thinking your the next lewis hamilton and the kart will bite your head off big time!!!
Old 24 Apr 2011, 23:50 (Ref:2869330)   #91
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
WHere in the north east can I get an arks test and what class should I race to get to national a after if I want (and I'm saying want not saying I am) to race kf3
Old 25 Apr 2011, 00:54 (Ref:2869340)   #92
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why don't you stop asking questions on here and actually contact the people you have been recommended to several times in this thread already.....?
Old 25 Apr 2011, 04:47 (Ref:2869352)   #93
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
WHere in the north east can I get an arks test and what class should I race to get to national a after if I want (and I'm saying want not saying I am) to race kf3
like ive said before, you need togo to the track, see which class is more popular, go to one of the race days and ask loads of questions/get advice from the drivers to see which class is best...ie which class has most karts up there so youve got more karts to race against, it also depends on cost!....how much have your parents got to spend, you seem to have jnr rotax and jnr tkm up there, tkm is cheepest so if the grids are a good size id go with that class
Old 25 Apr 2011, 07:05 (Ref:2869365)   #94
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
So if I went with tkm would I still be able to race kf3 once i have a national A
Old 25 Apr 2011, 12:18 (Ref:2869501)   #95
bendy
Rookie

bendy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thread is absolutely ridiculous. 7 pages of one kid in dream world asking the same question in as many different ways as possible and not actually listening to the replies!

Face the reality that you are never going to get into F1, which you arent if you just sit on TenTenths asking pointless questions, and actually get out there in any kart class that looks good fun and you can afford and enjoy it! Then you may move on from that and so on...but you arent the next Lewis Hamilton from just someone saying you have a small bit of natural talent!
Old 25 Apr 2011, 14:45 (Ref:2869556)   #96
bendy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
because long before you were born they all started in cadet karting racing on a club level, then got pretty good at it and started racing at a few clubs, won a few club championships, then got really good at it and raced at Super 1/FKS level, winning super 1 and making a name for themselves, then made the jump into single seaters and worked their way up to formula 1

the system is the same as it always has been, you have to start small on a club level first and work your way up the ladder, you cant just jump straight to the top of the karting ladder without having raced before.

take a look at what races lewis hamilton has done in his karting career, i can coonfidently say that he will have tested for about 3-4 months first, then raced in cadets at his local track for a year or so, won a few races, went to a couple of different tracks and won races there, then moved up to another class before going to stars of tomorrow as it was back when he was racing, when he hit 16 he then qualified to drive race cars and the rest is history as they say!

il tell you something now, and dont take it the wrong way kiddo, its a bit of friendly advice, if you jump into a tkm or rotax, you will be SHOCKED at the differnce in speed between them and a hire kart at a local track, they are massively quick and have huge amounts of grip, even at club level the racing is incredibly close and hard fought, there are a lot of very good drivers even at club level, if you dont finish last in your first race you will be doing very well, and if you win a race by the end of your first season.....well you will be doing very well, because i can safely say there will be about 20 other kids out there with more experience and laps under their belt than you!!!

not having a go at you at all, i think its great you want to start karting, its brilliant fun and the feeling you get from driving a proper race kart is incredible....id say its better than sex...but as your 14 it would be pointless

you just need to rethink what you want to get out of karting, do you want to be the next f1 world champion? or do you want to do it as a hobby, have some fun with the family doing it? if its the latter then you will get it!.....if its the first, then join the 2000 other kids in this country that want the same thing every single weekend at over 50 kart tracks in the country!

hope ive not put you off!!...just trying to make you realise that climbing the ladder to f1 isnt easy by any stretch of the imagination, it takes time, dedication and money!....if you want to do that then its great that you have aspirations and ambition, its nice to see kids of today striving for something and good on you for trying it, but if all you want to do is have some fun, meet some really cool people and have a laugh with friends then karting is for you!

a wise old man once told me 'if you aim for the moon and come up short, your still amonngst the stars!'....i.e. set your goals high, aim for them, try your best, but if they dont happen, dont be upset about it, just be happy doing what you are capable of doing.
One thing I would like to put out there (to make this thread worthwhile!) is why are Superkarts not really considered as somewhere to search for talent for single seaters? They are MUCH closer to any formula car than any super 1 kart, aero grip, same tracks, same or actually quicker speeds and so on.

All I can think is that admittedly there arent that many young people racing in them, but there are definitely some of us who do and we cant be that untalented can we?
Old 25 Apr 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2869668)   #97
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendy View Post
One thing I would like to put out there (to make this thread worthwhile!) is why are Superkarts not really considered as somewhere to search for talent for single seaters? They are MUCH closer to any formula car than any super 1 kart, aero grip, same tracks, same or actually quicker speeds and so on.

All I can think is that admittedly there arent that many young people racing in them, but there are definitely some of us who do and we cant be that untalented can we?
agreed superkarts are unbelievable, but would you set a 16 year old loose in one!!!! LOL!!!....i personally think that any youngster coming from short circuit karting into long circuit karting with his sights set on formula 1 would be a liability and incredibly dangerous....if youve seen the driving standards on short circuits in the last few years i would be terrified to see it in superkarts!
Old 25 Apr 2011, 21:12 (Ref:2869753)   #98
bendy
Rookie

Well I was 17 last year when I started racing long circuits after a year in junior TKM and a year in 250s short circuit and was absolutely fine (I think!)! That's the thing though, on short circuits driving standards are very poor, theres no respect between eachother, numerous incidents etc. But on long circuits, particularly superkarts, theres a lot more respect between drivers, real clean and good racing about 95% of the time. If theyre a liability and dangerous, why are they better off in FFords or Formula Renault?!
Old 25 Apr 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2869761)   #99
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendy View Post
If theyre a liability and dangerous, why are they better off in FFords or Formula Renault?!
because theyre not doing 170mph 2 inches off the ground, 4 abreast with 51 other nut cases!!!!......at least in formula ford or formula renault they tend to get more strung out and have more protection if they do have an accident!!!!!

drivers in superkarts tend to have a huge amount of respect for eachother and give eachother room to race, if they dont its incredibly dangerous, plus most superkart drivers tend to be geriatric old farts so tend to have a few more brain cells between their ears!!!!

i agree though, a few up and coming drivers could learn a lot from superkarts, wud be interesting to put a young driver into a superkart and see if it makes any difference when stepping into a single seater!.....think a formula renault would feel slow!
Old 25 Apr 2011, 21:46 (Ref:2869771)   #100
bendy
Rookie

well firstly it isnt 170mph, singles can reach tops 130 and twins maybe 145. But there arent that many actual crashes in Superkarts, and the crash bars are suprisingly strong.

MOST SUPERKART DRIVERS TEND TO BE GERIATRIC OLD FARTS ?!?! I am highly offended by that comment actually! It is also very incorrect! I agree that there are some older people racing but good on them, and they arent necessarily slow! But anyway, 95% of the top 20 drivers are about 25 and under.

Look at James Tucker, 2009 raced in Superkarts, was runner up in the championship and raced in FFord in 2010. I personally think he would have done a lot better in something with aero, but by the end of the season he was well on the pace. I'd love to have a go but simply dont have the money or ANY backing.

But I dont also see why more young karters dont do superkarts, why spend 50 grand a year in super 1 when you can race on long circuits for about 7?