Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 11 Feb 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2126458)   #76
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK Gents,
There may be a way forward. On the HANS web site, they now offer (from Jan 2008 ) a HANS - Sport Series Same design as the professional, but as I understand it, a slightly different method of construction that ends up with the device weighing approximately one pound more. As the device is restrained by your harness, I don't see the extra pound as being an issues.
If you Purchase directly from HANS, they quote the cost as being $695.
At todays conversion rate, that equals £353 sterling.
1/ Does anyone know anything about them ?
2/ Has anyone heard if any UK or european retailers are planning on selling them ?
If there is an easy-ish way to import or buy one ( provided they have the correct labels on ) I could be up for one myself later in the year.

Alan
3/ Anything else bad or Good ?
Old 11 Feb 2008, 12:50 (Ref:2126482)   #77
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have had the HANS sport modle for 3 years now. Not sure but I dont think it is a pound more then the professional model. Unless they changed the Pro models construction.

Would not drive without one now.

Only minor challege is make sure you have a current helmet that is pre-drilled for the HANS mounting bolts. Older helmets should not be drilled.
Old 11 Feb 2008, 13:31 (Ref:2126512)   #78
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I have had the HANS sport modle for 3 years now. Not sure but I dont think it is a pound more then the professional model. Unless they changed the Pro models construction.

Would not drive without one now.

Only minor challege is make sure you have a current helmet that is pre-drilled for the HANS mounting bolts. Older helmets should not be drilled.
Thanks for that AU N EGL It's a new Tin hat ( should turn up wednesday and is HANS compliant ) Interesting that yours is 3 years old, but the HANS site says available from 2008. Is the Sport Model widely available in the states, and is the price quoted $695 about right ?, and is it FIA approved - I know the helmet approvals numbers, but not HANS devices. Finally ( sorry so many questions ) does the proce include any US taxes that have to be paid ? I know to import one to the uk, we will have to pay 17.5 % VAT, and I'm guessing at 2.5% Import duty, but it still costs in, even at that price !

Many Thanks

Alan
Old 11 Feb 2008, 14:03 (Ref:2126541)   #79
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Ok,
Further update - Hans URL is www.hansdevice.com - I've just phoned them - all devices are FIA approved, and they can supply from the states if required. (phone no 001-888-4267-999). They did suggest that I called either their French or German distributors, as that may be easier. I called stand 21 (french Distributors) they advised that their HANS devices were about £650-00. When I questioned the chap about the cheaper 'Sport series' he advised that they could be getting some in 2 or 3 months, and thought they would be about £500.
Allowing for shipping, VAT and Import Duty, it still probably makes sense to go for one directly from the states!
AU-N GLE The prices I've been quoted are from the manufacturer, are there any big motorsport retail outlets in the states who are reliable and give any discount ( sort of Rally design/Peter Lloyd type outlets rather than Demon Tweeks/ GPR ) - do you have any web site addresses please ?

Thanks
Alan
Old 12 Feb 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2127325)   #80
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan lets see what I can do here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cherry
Thanks for that AU N EGL It's a new Tin hat ( should turn up wednesday and is HANS compliant ) Interesting that yours is 3 years old, but the HANS site says available from 2008. Is the Sport Model widely available in the states, and is the price quoted $695 about right ?, and is it FIA approved - I know the helmet approvals numbers, but not HANS devices. Finally ( sorry so many questions ) does the proce include any US taxes that have to be paid ? I know to import one to the uk, we will have to pay 17.5 % VAT, and I'm guessing at 2.5% Import duty, but it still costs in, even at that price !

Many Thanks

Alan
Mine was manufactures in March 05 and that is when I purchased it.
Model: 20M Economy - ie Sport Model.
Paid $715 with GA State Taxes ( purchase at a Road Atlanta Event)
In compliance with FIA Standard 8858-2002 ( sticker on the inside)
Mine does NOT have the quick release helmet straps.

If you purchase Mail Order in the US for the most part there are No sales taxes.

From the HANS Device web site

Every HANS Device gives you:Proven #1 Results
FIA and SFI Approval
Award Winning Design

HANDS SPORT
  • NEW for 2008
  • Value priced
  • Injection molded super structural carbon fiber
  • Same performance as every HANS Device
  • Weighs about a pound more than HANS Device Extra Series
Mine is all carbon and would be the Extra Series now
  • Lightweight
  • All carbon pre-preg construction
  • The most popular head & neck restraint in the world
http://hansdevice.com/shop_online

HTH
Tom
Old 12 Feb 2008, 18:02 (Ref:2127327)   #81
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cherry
AU-N GLE The prices I've been quoted are from the manufacturer, are there any big motorsport retail outlets in the states who are reliable and give any discount ( sort of Rally design/Peter Lloyd type outlets rather than Demon Tweeks/ GPR ) - do you have any web site addresses please ?

Thanks
Alan
Alan I will be happy to look, give me a bit of time. But we dont see discounts on HANS devices either
Old 12 Feb 2008, 18:08 (Ref:2127331)   #82
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
OK

Discoveryparts has just received the new $695.00 Hans Sport Series !

Same great protection in a slightly heavier but much more economical package. For more details here is the link - http://www.discoveryparts.com/cgi-bin/s ... ns&pid=922

Ron Zappendorf, CEO
Discoveryparts.com
"Where Your Hobby Is Our Business"
Direct: 001-770.716.5986

The Extra Sereis is $950

Sorry Mods, do not mean to post an advertisment, I get nothing out of this. Just trying to help some fellow gear heads, KEEP their heads
Old 13 Feb 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2127822)   #83
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
AU N EGL, (Tom)
Thanks for that, the going rate seems to be $695 - I'll need a 20degree medium one. popped into the bank yesterday, and if I buy one on my card, the current excahange rate they'll give me is 1.85 meaning it will cost approx £375. plus postage, plus taxes I guessing at 2.5% imprt duty and 17.5% vat which would make a total of £450 plus postage. Depending on postage, it's getting close to waiting and getting one over here. It's a bugger, because my mate was skiing in the states last week, and if i'd sorted it out beforehand, he could have brought me one back ! - week after next, he's back out skiing in Whistler in Canada - might be worth seeing if there are any Canadian outlets nearby !

Thanks

Alan
Old 13 Feb 2008, 11:34 (Ref:2127826)   #84
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Funny thing about the import duty and I was talking to the Parcel Force man this morning as I have just had several consignments delivered from the states oddly enough of a package of three that came one came straight through the other two were held at their depot awaiting a payment from me. According to him it all depends on how on what ons they randomly pick off the conveyor belt you could be luck and pay nothing you could be unluck and have to pay!

As far as the physical side of the transaction it usually goes fine for me in fact I have just received a forth consignment from Summit Racing that was dispatched Saturday, weighed in at 106lbs and arrived yesterday, I have waited longer for stuff from UK suppliers!

Strange isn't it? If you showed that HANS thing to anyone out of this sport and told them you had just paid five hundred quid for it they would think you needed certifying and before anyone says to me whats a life worth, isnt that more the reason they should be made available at a more affordable price and not attract UK VAT in the same way as helmets don't.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 12:55 (Ref:2127878)   #85
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Have the boxes stamped " Educational Matieral"

Just kidding.

I would think that Next day or two day air from UPS or DHL would not be that expensive
Old 13 Feb 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2127994)   #86
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
I was told To ask the supplier to write 'sample' on the label and you won't get charged - don't know if it works or not.
The only thing I know about the delivery companies of this world, came from a representative of one of them from a witness box, and from an undercover policeman who delivered the goods!
Old 13 Feb 2008, 17:06 (Ref:2128063)   #87
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Or get a mate to order it and unwrap it then sell it to you as 2nd hand for a vastly reduced sum and forward it to the UK (perish the thought!)
Old 14 Feb 2008, 18:52 (Ref:2128957)   #88
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Or get a mate to order it and unwrap it then sell it to you as 2nd hand for a vastly reduced sum and forward it to the UK (perish the thought!)
Interesting....................?
Old 14 Feb 2008, 18:56 (Ref:2128961)   #89
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a very close Auntie in Las Vegas, two cousins in Los Angeles and a couple of racing friends if anyone wants adresses "off the record"??
Old 14 Feb 2008, 18:57 (Ref:2128962)   #90
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Saw on a number of other racing forums ( SCCA & NASA ) that the LARGE Sport "Please note, as of Jan 25th, the Large versions are 6-8 weeks away."

No matter which race parts house web site I went to they were all $695

The other thing is if you ware a HANS, you may need new shoulder harness. The HANS does not fit under a 3" shoulder harness.

a 2" - 3" shoulder harness should be used. The shoulder harness is 2" 'HANS Specific' that goes Over the HANS securing it to your shoulders, then the shoulder harness widens out to 3"

Last edited by AU N EGL; 14 Feb 2008 at 19:02.
Old 14 Feb 2008, 19:20 (Ref:2128990)   #91
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
So then I assume the strength of the harness is compromised?
Old 14 Feb 2008, 19:42 (Ref:2129026)   #92
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
So then I assume the strength of the harness is compromised?
No the newer 2" HAS Specific shoulder straps are not weaker. New weave design or something but has the same stregth as the 3" shoulder belts
Old 14 Feb 2008, 20:15 (Ref:2129056)   #93
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A normal 3" belt can be perfectly used for the Hans. The very early ones had some problems where belts slipped off the neck support because of a slippery surface.
That is why the smaller belt was made, but the newer Hans have been modified and have no longer the slippy surface.
Obviously both belts can be used and have the same effect.
Old 14 Feb 2008, 20:28 (Ref:2129069)   #94
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
A normal 3" belt can be perfectly used for the Hans. The very early ones had some problems where belts slipped off the neck support because of a slippery surface.
That is why the smaller belt was made, but the newer Hans have been modified and have no longer the slippy surface.
Ok Cool Thanks for the clearification
Old 22 Feb 2008, 20:19 (Ref:2135250)   #95
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Recieved a few more catelogs in the mail and emails from race parts dealers.

All the HANS prices are the same no matter which dealer.

Only thing to note is if you race a formula car then a 30* is needed.

30* only come in Extra $895 or Pro $1295
Old 22 Feb 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2135303)   #96
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V

I admit to not knowing this. My HANS came with a neoprene surface and it does grip.
Old 23 Feb 2008, 01:06 (Ref:2135450)   #97
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got the TRS belts with the neoprene underside that grips the HANS better.
That reminds me - I have to send the buckle back to TRS for a fettle.
Old 23 Feb 2008, 07:45 (Ref:2135585)   #98
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The HANS design marketed by Stand 21 in the UK & France (to the USA HANS design) have side "flip ups" to retain the seat belt. Those made by Scroth are, I think, to an older design with the neoprene surface and no "flip ups". You can see the "flip ups" in the earlier post, #82.

Personally, I would rather have the version with the side "flip ups"; I can't see haow the neoprene on its own can prevent the belts slipping off in a big deceleration.
Old 23 Feb 2008, 08:36 (Ref:2135617)   #99
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mine does not have the flip ups and works very well with my 3" belts.
Old 23 Feb 2008, 12:43 (Ref:2135788)   #100
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problems with slipping belts were mostly the very early ones. The system was designed for 2" belts long before the 3" belts came into the game.

Somehow the Hans designers forgot to alter the system to the 3". But I did not write this.

Tags
hans