Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 25 May 2014, 14:54 (Ref:3410359)   #76
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Didn't Nascar start the Racers Fans TV or something?
Old 25 May 2014, 17:33 (Ref:3410440)   #77
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Photos Day 1
https://www.flickr.com/photos/984521...7644804165091/
Photos Day 2
https://www.flickr.com/photos/984521...7644428020768/
Old 26 May 2014, 14:01 (Ref:3410875)   #78
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very nice!
I especially like some of the photos from Friday, with the rainy circuit.
Old 30 May 2014, 02:49 (Ref:3412574)   #79
65mustang
Rookie

65mustang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is anyone else going to the Kansas race? My Dad and I are planning to go, and take my son to his first race. I'm wondering the Continental guys will be signing autographs on Saturday, or if it's just the PC teams. I didn't see anything on IMSA.com about it. I've not been to the Kansas Speedway before, any suggestions on the best place to watch the action on track?
Old 30 May 2014, 17:00 (Ref:3412782)   #80
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65mustang View Post
Is anyone else going to the Kansas race? My Dad and I are planning to go, and take my son to his first race. I'm wondering the Continental guys will be signing autographs on Saturday, or if it's just the PC teams. I didn't see anything on IMSA.com about it. I've not been to the Kansas Speedway before, any suggestions on the best place to watch the action on track?
A friend of mine went to Lime Rock and he told me that there is a fan walk, right before the race. It was on pit road, drivers were by their cars and signing hero cards. A few of the drivers even let his 8 year old son sit in the cars. He told me that many of the teams were really friendly and let his family walk around under their tents and take a look at the cars.

I found this schedule for the Kansas race, It shows a fan walk from 5:15 to 6:00 on Saturday.
http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...20051614_0.pdf
Old 31 May 2014, 01:57 (Ref:3412987)   #81
65mustang
Rookie

65mustang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
A friend of mine went to Lime Rock and he told me that there is a fan walk, right before the race. It was on pit road, drivers were by their cars and signing hero cards. A few of the drivers even let his 8 year old son sit in the cars. He told me that many of the teams were really friendly and let his family walk around under their tents and take a look at the cars.

I found this schedule for the Kansas race, It shows a fan walk from 5:15 to 6:00 on Saturday.
http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...20051614_0.pdf
Thanks for the info! I hadn't found that schedule, it will be very helpful.
Old 6 Sep 2014, 17:46 (Ref:3450812)   #82
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I've found myself really, really enjoying this series in 2014, another discovery of this season. Probably the biggest de-facto GT4 class in the world with good multi-class endurance racing and a very well balanced field, it's become a staple of my watching ahead of Blancpain Sprint and alongside PWC.

Have been avoiding the result of the VIR round and really lookimg forward to watching it now it's on YouTube (hopefully will have time tomorrow).

The reason I dug up the thread was to say that in the online broadcasts, during the US advert breaks the commentators (same trio and pit reporters as TUSC) will often talk to each other and the audience as human beings, passing information between them and being very open and honest. The pit guys feeding into the broadcasters during the breaks is also really interesting and would be great to see (hear?) the same thing during the TUSC races.

The end of the Road America race was thrilling, for anyone wondering whether it's worth a catch-up, and not because it was a green/white checker (which was unfortunate bit unavoidable).

Anyway, that's my ramble whilst waiting for water to boil. Well done IMSA, another fine series you're running here.
Old 6 Sep 2014, 18:00 (Ref:3450817)   #83
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I watched every race of CTSCC in 2012 (the year I watched everything of every series) and few events since then. Yeah it's fine for what it is, and certainly superior to it's former Grand-Am affiliate.

Yup the off-the-record moments are usually good. My all-time favourite off-air moment was at Long Beach couple of years ago when on the stream the gang was openly laughing at Dyson Racing's, or rather Chris's chances Well that and finnish broadcast of French GP 1994 when the commentators thought they were on commercial break but weren't and the mics were left on
"Dear god is this race boring"
"Verstappen is off again, for ****s sake. JJ you'd be needed here, you would drive even with neck in plaster, for ****s sake"
"Heh heh"

Last edited by Deleted; 6 Sep 2014 at 18:06.
Old 7 Sep 2014, 03:41 (Ref:3450895)   #84
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Sebring race had some good commentary during the commercials, including Dorsey cheering on someone being towed to run over the tow strap.

Only a few of the YouTube uploads have had all that extra commentary though if I remember right, some of them have chopped out the commercial sections and some of them have had mostly silence instead of the extra commentary.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 16:53 (Ref:3457876)   #85
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Talk about scares
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ZafJW8Ao0#t=104
Old 30 Jul 2015, 15:17 (Ref:3562503)   #86
Deleted
Veteran

WTF happened here, 30 car grids???!
http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi..._EntryList.pdf

Okay numbers are not everything, and I can't pretend to know what's going on with series nowadays, but it had 70-80 starters 3 years ago! Even high 50's not so far back. Slipping down in similar fashion with the main series.

SCCA is winning in the small classes, right?
Old 30 Jul 2015, 17:01 (Ref:3562534)   #87
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
WTF happened here, 30 car grids???!
I recall that weekend schedules, procedures, and probably other things for ConTi all got *****ed to hell after the merger. The new IMSA 2.0 management supposedly fixed some of the things they broke, but maybe not enough of them or there's still other problems.
Old 30 Jul 2015, 17:29 (Ref:3562540)   #88
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Factory involvement (Camaro Z/28R and now the Shelby GT350) have played a part in the GS class' shrinking fields, they are just on another level.
Old 30 Jul 2015, 23:32 (Ref:3562661)   #89
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's because they are other cheaper small series out there. Those factory teams are also very good team with very good cars. They got both the strategy and the performance
Old 31 Jul 2015, 12:44 (Ref:3562801)   #90
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new "IMSA"s mismanagement is all pervasive, only 40 cars at Lime Rock and TUSCC fields have shrunk as well. GS seems to be headed for the old Trans-Am model, Chevy wanted the Camaro to win and boosted accordingly, Ford responded in kind, sadly, privateers take it on the nose and no other manufacturers have jumped in. What was once a vibrant pro am series - big fields and good to watch is now becoming a two manufacturer showcase with a few desperate also rans. In this as well as Tudor IMSA is listening too much to manufacturers(and their dollars) and not enough to the teams and spectators.
Old 1 Aug 2015, 17:56 (Ref:3563081)   #91
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just to keep this up to date for comparison purposes, the PWC GTS class had 20 cars in its race at mid Ohio this weekend vs 10 GS cars at line rock last week. I'm pretty sure those classes are capable of using the same cars, but I'm not sure how much has to be done to them.
Old 1 Aug 2015, 19:28 (Ref:3563096)   #92
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe you are correct both GS and GTS have/had similar makes and models competing (Camaro, Mustang, 370z, WRX, etc.) with similar race prep modifications allowed. I do hope IMSA fixes the issue with CTSC fields. I've always thought they were complements of each other, one for sprint racing and the other endurance, rather than rivals. Below are Turner motorsports thoughts:

“So the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge was awesome, it still is awesome, but it has some inherent problems that have been creeping up,” Turner said.

“The introduction of the Camaro had good intentions, but it upped the bar on everything. Then with the Mustang on the same level as the Camaro, without other manufacturers willing to do that, it’s gonna be a problem for attracting cars.

“For me to run a BMW in Continental just doesn’t work. I could not build the car to keep up with the Camaros and Mustangs now.”
Old 2 Aug 2015, 01:23 (Ref:3563134)   #93
Rcz
Veteran

United States
What about the M4? It probably can be competitive

Seriously, why hasn't BMW made a racing version of the car I have no idea.

Anyway, those Camero Z/28s that are running right now are about as heavy as a cup car. Yeah, that kind of heavy. BoP should be in favor of the other cars.

But as said before, it's just cheaper to run in PWC right now. No tires changes, a smaller pit crew, just one driver. If I was a small team it would a no brainer where I go.
Old 2 Aug 2015, 01:40 (Ref:3563137)   #94
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
What about the M4? It probably can be competitive

Seriously, why hasn't BMW made a racing version of the car I have no idea.
You mean outside of DTM?
Old 2 Aug 2015, 03:43 (Ref:3563152)   #95
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
You mean outside of DTM?
Well gee they might as well race in NASCAR already.
Old 2 Aug 2015, 07:30 (Ref:3563201)   #96
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think it's just the Camaro and Mustang though, the other cars are fairly competitive... It's more an issue with the teams running them and their driver lineups.

Stevenson has always been a very strong (if unlucky) team since I've been watching them, and they have one car with two experienced pros and one car with one of the better amateur drivers in the field alongside a solid pro with plenty of Camaro experience. By comparison, the Mantella Camaros haven't done a whole lot other than a few flashes of speed, even when Wilkins and Marcelli are in the cars.

I imagine the Mustang will be pegged back a little, but it's basically a factory effort, again with one car with experienced pros in it and another with some very solid pro-level youngsters in it.

Guys like Turner want to run with an amateur in the car, and without luck with the yellows they simply won't be able to compete with Stevenson and Multimatic with their strong driver lineups.

The only thing I could see improving the situation for the other teams is to enforce a pro/am lineup, but you would still see Stevenson and Multimatic in the front of the field.
Old 3 Aug 2015, 14:42 (Ref:3563520)   #97
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
It would be good if manufacturers are forced to offer their latest cars to customers as well as soon as they start racing them after being homologated (instead of running them exclusively on their factory (supported) squads during the first season).

Won't solve BMW's issues but the Doran Nissans and the Rum Bum Porsche (until it was taken out by the #6 Stevenson Camaro....) were really competitive against the factory Mustangs and Camaro during the last race at Lime Rock so all is not lost.

Besides, the ST class is huge and getting better and better it seems, and might grow even more in the future!
Old 4 Aug 2015, 16:08 (Ref:3563741)   #98
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
More coverage on the current 'issues':

http://sportscar365.com/features/com...ritical-stage/

although maybe someone "brushed" the panic button a bit prematurely:

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/ctscc/l...ld-to-42-cars/

Again: I would like to see Ford and GM offering their latest, state-of-the-art products to customers as soon as the cars are race ready and all Pro line ups should be put at a disadvantage to offer privateers and Pro-Am pairings a realistic chance of winning races.
Old 4 Aug 2015, 19:09 (Ref:3563769)   #99
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Their what? There's rumor that they might put P3 there?!? Nooooooo!

So is GT4 could be good, but I don't know if it will shove cost back down. What's do difference between GS and GT4? Fenders and wings?

If IMSA did there job, a use bop correctly, maybe this wouldn't be a problem.
Old 4 Aug 2015, 20:58 (Ref:3563790)   #100
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Their what? There's rumor that they might put P3 there?!? Nooooooo!

So is GT4 could be good, but I don't know if it will shove cost back down. What's do difference between GS and GT4? Fenders and wings?

If IMSA did there job, a use bop correctly, maybe this wouldn't be a problem.
P3 in there would be a strange fit. I'd much rather the series continue as a GT based series.