Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Dec 2011, 18:13 (Ref:2997121)   #1076
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Last edited by Nick6; 8 Dec 2011 at 18:28.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 18:49 (Ref:2997142)   #1077
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeroen Bleekemolen just updated his blog. The last few days he's been testing a OAK LMP1 for next year in the ALMS. So I guess. Black Swan is thus looking at a OAK lmp1 to enter in next years ALMS? I think that they should get a real shot at the title with such a entry...
Old 8 Dec 2011, 19:02 (Ref:2997150)   #1078
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
Jeroen Bleekemolen just updated his blog. The last few days he's been testing a OAK LMP1 for next year in the ALMS. So I guess. Black Swan is thus looking at a OAK lmp1 to enter in next years ALMS? I think that they should get a real shot at the title with such a entry...
That would be great for the alms to have the lmp1 class go from lolas omly to 3 different engines and chassis.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2997153)   #1079
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From the other thread on this Jeroen was expecting to be testing a P2 Oak. That would make more sense given the Pro-Am nature of BSR. Then again at least some of the P1 competition is Pro-Am as well...
Old 8 Dec 2011, 19:11 (Ref:2997159)   #1080
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
From the other thread on this Jeroen was expecting to be testing a P2 Oak. That would make more sense given the Pro-Am nature of BSR. Then again at least some of the P1 competition is Pro-Am as well...
I think they are serious about the lmp1. A lmp1 and lmp2 are to very different machines. You can't test a lmp1 to see if the lmp2 variety is any good. A lmp1 engine and configuration gives a completly different impression hen a lmp2 engine would in the same chassis...
Old 8 Dec 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2997193)   #1081
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
No mention of P1 or 2 for next year, just LMP. He also remarks that his best laptime done in the OAK was faster than Rebellion managed in the 12 Hours in the beginning of the year.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 23:01 (Ref:2997285)   #1082
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Most of the ALMS P1 competition is pro-am. Dyson #16 (two Ams and one Pro in the case of long distance races), Oryx-Dyson #20, perhaps Autocon. I suppose Muscle Milk could be Pro-Am too if Pickett drives full-time, but I'm not sure if that is likely.

The thing to remember about the test is that Black Swan wasn't the only team there evaluating the OAK. Perhaps someone else there wanted to shake down the P1 so that is what they sent. Perhaps they wanted the P1 there because Bleekemolen wanted to test the P1 so he could compare it to the P1 Lola that he has experience with. I would not automatically assume that Black Swan is interested in either P1 or P2, but we'll see. P1 may make more sense if they want guaranteed competition, but I'm not so sure if I would want a Judd powered P1 car. Granted, it would probably get BoPed. Oh, and the money behind Black Swan is Tim Pappas.

As an aside, I wonder if Oryx/Dyson is considering putting two Pro drivers in their car at the enduros like they did last year. If so, that puts them at a pretty big advantage compared to the main Dyson car considering that Cochran will be back there. Maybe we'll see more team orders from the Dyson bunch next year!

EDIT: As for the Petit situation, I wonder if the ALMS will consider holding an open test at Petit during the the post-Baltimore break or before that even. Perhaps that could get Audi and whoever else some track time at Petit if they are concerned about missing out on practice sessions if they want to compete there. I don't know if it will happen though because isn't Petit conflicting with a DTM round too? Maybe Audi could send a couple of their drivers to Petit to help launch the R8 customer program or something. That won't attract a crowd, but it's better than nothing I guess. Either way, I'm guessing Audi will have more cars than they'll need for Fuji so I suppose it's theoretically possible for them to send equipment to both Fuji and Petit at the same time and then just shuffle the people around. Of course, DTM might screw all of that up.
Old 9 Dec 2011, 00:40 (Ref:2997328)   #1083
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dennis Coates, the economics professor who studied the economic impact of the Baltimore Grand Prix, published some new thoughts about the future of the race and how it will impact the city. It's an interesting read if you're into these kinds of things.

http://thesportseconomist.com/2011/1...d-prix-update/
Old 9 Dec 2011, 04:36 (Ref:2997375)   #1084
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Meanwhile, sources indicate that an ALMS race at Virginia International Raceway appears set to take place on Sept. 15-16
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...#ixzz1g02xloUd

That's the same weekend as WEC Brazil. I don't know if any ALMS teams planned on racing there, but my guess is probably not. Still, it does bring up a question of where the WEC will get field fillers for Brazil if they need some.

EDIT: About the OAK stuff, Dagys is Tweeting that OAK is participating in a Dunlop open test at Sebring. Perhaps that's why the P1 was there. Maybe they have new P1 tires for OAK and Dyson.
Old 9 Dec 2011, 04:57 (Ref:2997380)   #1085
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post

That's the same weekend as WEC Brazil. I don't know if any ALMS teams planned on racing there, but my guess is probably not. Still, it does bring up a question of where the WEC will get field fillers for Brazil if they need some.
Didn't the FIA talk about potentially allowing non-championship cars to participate in the WEC? I don't know if they have to be LMP1, LMP2, or GTE, but if GT3 cars are allowed for the Brazil event, there is the Brazilian GT Championship.
Old 9 Dec 2011, 05:48 (Ref:2997391)   #1086
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Dennis Coates, the economics professor who studied the economic impact of the Baltimore Grand Prix, published some new thoughts about the future of the race and how it will impact the city. It's an interesting read if you're into these kinds of things.

http://thesportseconomist.com/2011/1...d-prix-update/
Thanks for that....the concluding sentence points to this being TBD in the future---"With plans in place to continue to host the event for the remaining four years of the contract, it seems this farce is only in the first act."

OUCH!

I am thinking that the only street race of the modern era in the US that probably was a benefit was Long Beach with the F5000 race then the US GP West. The plan then was to change the image of Long Beach, thus revitalizing. I guess that happened, they still race there, so I guess they continue to find benefit, but they vacated the wildly costly world of F1 long ago.
Old 9 Dec 2011, 08:01 (Ref:2997408)   #1087
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Thanks for that....the concluding sentence points to this being TBD in the future---"With plans in place to continue to host the event for the remaining four years of the contract, it seems this farce is only in the first act."

OUCH!
Ouch is right. If anybody wants a good laugh (or if someone wants to read something that will make themselves cry in agony depending on how you view things), read the Op-Ed piece from the Baltimore race promoter that Prof. Coates linked to in his article. The idiot promoter pretty much directly blamed the race failure on him not getting enough of a government subsidy! And he is begging for more government money even though his race pretty much proved to be the economic failure for everyone as it was expected to be by the real economists. What a buffoon! If American road racing series want the public to respect them, they need to put as much distance as possible from hucksters like these Baltimore bums.
Old 9 Dec 2011, 08:40 (Ref:2997418)   #1088
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

EDIT: About the OAK stuff, Dagys is Tweeting that OAK is participating in a Dunlop open test at Sebring. Perhaps that's why the P1 was there. Maybe they have new P1 tires for OAK and Dyson.
I'm surprised this isn't creating more of a stir! I would think the very thought of ALMS running at VIR would be enough to get this discussion moving. Just imagining the an LMP weaving through the esses or a typical ALMS GT battle at that track has me ready to buy my tickets already!
Old 9 Dec 2011, 15:22 (Ref:2997596)   #1089
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Any chance Black Swan could still run an OAK P1 or P2 if Conquest Racing is running the OAK P2? BSR is one of my favorite teams, so I'd like to see them give it a go, even if it's a bit over Pappas' abilities. More P1 cars the better, and Bleekemolen's pretty handy.

As for VIR, that's very exciting news. I was worried we wouldn't get a single TBD date, but it's nice they had a back-up when Detroit and Austin both fell through. And a damn good back-up at that. VIR's a fine track and I think it's important for the ALMS to go to venues like that. ALMS is the epitome of trying to make a niche sport successful among the people who are going to really care; they may have problems, but at least the problem isn't their identity and who they are trying to cater to. They know their demographic, and being the most badass American road racing series possible (which means tracks like VIR) is the way to go. Exploit the niche...you see a series like Indy that's trying to be "mainstream" and it's completely failing. Even if it doesn't work, I'll always give ALMS credit for knowing their place in the U.S. racing landscape and just trying to be successful with real racing fans and not pretending they can ever appeal to anyone without an interest in motorsports and cars.

All that to say I'm excited about 2012. I know we won't get everything we've heard about, but the TV coverage is better (four live races makes me so happy) and the prototype grid will be better (if only because we'll have a non-Lola from Team Muscle Milk, but I suspect P2 will be more compelling too).
Old 9 Dec 2011, 15:40 (Ref:2997603)   #1090
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
Any chance Black Swan could still run an OAK P1 or P2 if Conquest Racing is running the OAK P2? BSR is one of my favorite teams, so I'd like to see them give it a go, even if it's a bit over Pappas' abilities. More P1 cars the better, and Bleekemolen's pretty handy.
I don't think Black Swan's intentions have been made known publicly so I don't know for sure what is going on. I would assume that they would go to P2 especially with it looking like there will be some competition there, but I guess P1 would work too. Most of the P1 teams are Pro-Am anyway so I don't think Pappas would be at too much of a disadvantage. Also, I'm not sure if Black Swan is committed to an OAK (or a prototype even) or if they are still in the evaluation stage. Obviously there are multiple OAK team rumors now so I'm not sure who is the potential distributor.

Quote:
All that to say I'm excited about 2012. I know we won't get everything we've heard about, but the TV coverage is better (four live races makes me so happy) and the prototype grid will be better (if only because we'll have a non-Lola from Team Muscle Milk, but I suspect P2 will be more compelling too).
2012 should be an improvement over 2011 especially if you like prototypes. The real prototype classes will probably still be a little thin, but it's an upgrade over the past so there is that. As far as P1 goes, Muscle Milk could very well have a massive edge in terms of equipment and driver lineup, but we'll see what is announced. Unfortunately, with the iffy IMSA BoP and points system, a team like Muscle Milk can be done in by having one DNF even if they clearly have the best car, pitwork, and drivers.
Old 9 Dec 2011, 15:48 (Ref:2997608)   #1091
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
if Conquest Racing is running the OAK P2?
Must have missed this one, where is this coming from?

Edit: found it!
Old 9 Dec 2011, 18:30 (Ref:2997664)   #1092
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...urns-for-2012/
Well, it was practically assured that Flying Lizards would return next year, but here's the confirmation. Same driver lineups as this year, but with 2 shiny 2012 911 GT3 RSRs.
Old 9 Dec 2011, 23:15 (Ref:2997794)   #1093
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Gotta give credit to them for being such a stalwart to the series. Good to see them again
Old 10 Dec 2011, 01:02 (Ref:2997825)   #1094
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A hot lap around VIR...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEAe_ubPOAw

Old 10 Dec 2011, 01:39 (Ref:2997834)   #1095
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
It's pretty much as silly as bringing LMPs to Cadwel Park... but in a good way.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 01:45 (Ref:2997836)   #1096
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66 View Post
That's however, not the regular circuit that was used for the Grand Am races... they did the full backstrech rather than that rather mickey-mousy complex after Oak Tree...
Old 10 Dec 2011, 02:48 (Ref:2997859)   #1097
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Very quick work with YouTube. This is an onboard of the full, original circuit (presumably what the ALMS would use, and what GA has been using).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRP7mLnZaTQ

For a bit of reference:
Length- 3.27 miles
Elevation- 130ft
Corners- 17
Frontstretch- 3000ft
Backstretch- 4000ft
LMP900 Rocord- 1:39.618, 118.171mph (2002, race lap, wet qualifying)

I don't think it's really any narrower than you see around the back of the course at Road America or Mosport Park, so I don't see a problem there. Those esses at VIR just make it seem narrower in some places than it is.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 10:43 (Ref:2997961)   #1098
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Conquest an Indycar/Champ Car team in the past? I think I have heard the name before but my memory's a little fuzzy after the CART/IRL split.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 10:48 (Ref:2997963)   #1099
jo1998sh
Rookie

United Kingdom
jo1998sh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They ran in Indycar with Sebastian Saavedra this year and Bertrand Baguette and Mario Romancini in 2010
Old 10 Dec 2011, 18:02 (Ref:2998120)   #1100
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOrGlory View Post
Is Conquest an Indycar/Champ Car team in the past? I think I have heard the name before but my memory's a little fuzzy after the CART/IRL split.
Yes...