Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 May 2012, 07:42 (Ref:3073476)   #1151
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOrGlory View Post
Gearboxes has always been a weak point of Nissan backed endurance racing programs...
Yep, just ask Kenny Acheson......
Old 13 May 2012, 07:48 (Ref:3073478)   #1152
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yep, just ask Kenny Acheson......
Did he actually make it to the green flag that year? If not, what do we actually call that car's entry that year, a DNF or a DNS? (that year being 1990)
Old 13 May 2012, 11:26 (Ref:3073593)   #1153
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Did he actually make it to the green flag that year? If not, what do we actually call that car's entry that year, a DNF or a DNS? (that year being 1990)
If my memory serves me right (from watching the video of course having not being born) I'm sure it's a DNS

EDIT: I forgot the internet exists, we can just look on there!
Old 13 May 2012, 14:39 (Ref:3073728)   #1154
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, DNS - gearbox broke on the warm-up lap.
Old 13 May 2012, 18:16 (Ref:3073898)   #1155
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How much of the gearbox problem is related to the vector steering by the rear wheels?
Old 15 May 2012, 23:30 (Ref:3075076)   #1156
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't the ACO make then de-tune the engine some so that it could run between LMP1 and LMP2 lap times?
Old 16 May 2012, 00:46 (Ref:3075088)   #1157
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
How much of the gearbox problem is related to the vector steering by the rear wheels?
None that I'm aware. I did some more inquiring and understand it's a software issue and there simply hasn't been any time to address the problem. And it's a bigger issue for DW because the gearbox is a 30 kg wimp (isn't handling a lot of HP)...when something goes wrong it goes wrong in a big way...
Old 16 May 2012, 00:47 (Ref:3075089)   #1158
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
Didn't the ACO make then de-tune the engine some so that it could run between LMP1 and LMP2 lap times?
The whole concept is "detuned": power, aero-DF and drag, etc.
Old 16 May 2012, 00:58 (Ref:3075092)   #1159
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
The whole concept is "detuned": power, aero-DF and drag, etc.
Just throwing this out there, but the "detuned" engine may be necessary to meet their fuel economy goals.
Old 16 May 2012, 02:26 (Ref:3075098)   #1160
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Just throwing this out there, but the "detuned" engine may be necessary to meet their fuel economy goals.
Chicken and egg situation...only need 300 hp or so to meet LMP2 times. The 300 hp is driven by their performance goals. As a result of the low HP (and drag) the car naturally burns less fuel.
Old 16 May 2012, 03:52 (Ref:3075106)   #1161
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Chicken and egg situation...only need 300 hp or so to meet LMP2 times. The 300 hp is driven by their performance goals. As a result of the low HP (and drag) the car naturally burns less fuel.
Okay, but I thought I read somewhere (maybe this forum) that after they had the car built and were testing, the ACO made them reduce horsepower so that the car would run slower than LMP1s but faster than LMP2s. I recall seeing that they were limiting it's top speed to 280km.
Old 16 May 2012, 04:26 (Ref:3075107)   #1162
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would suck if after getting this far, it went out at two hours because of gearbox software.
Old 16 May 2012, 10:11 (Ref:3075199)   #1163
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Okay, but I thought I read somewhere (maybe this forum) that after they had the car built and were testing, the ACO made them reduce horsepower so that the car would run slower than LMP1s but faster than LMP2s. I recall seeing that they were limiting it's top speed to 280km.
300 km/h is the limit. They've done 305 in testing.
Old 16 May 2012, 10:39 (Ref:3075210)   #1164
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
300 km/h is the limit. They've done 305 in testing.
Wasn't there a set lap time they were not to drop below? I had seen or read that somewhere along the way but can't remember where now.
Old 16 May 2012, 13:25 (Ref:3075276)   #1165
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catingaround View Post
Wasn't there a set lap time they were not to drop below? I had seen or read that somewhere along the way but can't remember where now.
LMP2 lap time is the target. I understand they were dead on that target at Argon.
Old 16 May 2012, 20:18 (Ref:3075438)   #1166
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I thought it was tail end P2 target. And they are pretty much there. Hopefully they sort whatever issue the cogswapper has...
Old 19 May 2012, 18:07 (Ref:3076540)   #1167
F50GTPlus
Rookie

F50GTPlus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not sure if this has been mentioned before but I just heard during the nurburgring 24h that the delta wing will have a sort of F1 style DRS, powered by a Nissan Juke power window motor is this true or is there anymore info on this anywhere
Old 19 May 2012, 18:58 (Ref:3076551)   #1168
JoeMaters
Racer

JoeMaters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Fuller ‏@mulsannescorner
DW's Snetterton test: car is now quicker than LMP2, will be trimming back some to make ACO happier. Still issues w/GB: not 24-hourable yet
Old 20 May 2012, 09:32 (Ref:3076730)   #1169
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F50GTPlus View Post
I am not sure if this has been mentioned before but I just heard during the nurburgring 24h that the delta wing will have a sort of F1 style DRS, powered by a Nissan Juke power window motor is this true or is there anymore info on this anywhere
Interesting, but for what wing will it be used?
Old 20 May 2012, 09:57 (Ref:3076742)   #1170
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
Interesting, but for what wing will it be used?
The gurney flap on the rear trailing edge?
Old 20 May 2012, 19:44 (Ref:3076976)   #1171
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMaters View Post
Mike Fuller ‏@mulsannescorner
DW's Snetterton test: car is now quicker than LMP2, will be trimming back some to make ACO happier. Still issues w/GB: not 24-hourable yet
I hope they get that gearbox problem sorted out. It would be shame to see the DW go out early in the race.
Old 20 May 2012, 20:09 (Ref:3076988)   #1172
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why does it need DRS if it is a ground effects car that doesnt rely on the wings...
Old 20 May 2012, 20:18 (Ref:3076993)   #1173
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Why does it need DRS if it is a ground effects car that doesnt rely on the wings...
They can still trim out the over-body aero with the gurney on the rear end trailing edge, I suspect that if they do "DRS" anything on that car, it will be that piece.
Old 20 May 2012, 21:21 (Ref:3077012)   #1174
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Plus with a DRS type system they can improve efficiency at high speed without losing the low speed grip. I'm surprised it hasn't been approached by the ACO as an efficiency addition to the rules. This could also help separate the LMPs from GTs, allow the protos to run with less wing in the straights, or conversely as much wing in the straights but more in the corners, could help them get around the GTs without taking as many risks. Yes, just tossing out an idea; might not be practical but could be worth taking the idea to some of the teams.
Old 20 May 2012, 21:26 (Ref:3077015)   #1175
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
In some of the photos, and it is very difficult to tell because of the uniformly dark bodywork, but it appears the gurney flaps may be 'active?' One rear photo seems to show the inside one higher then the outside one.

Maybe my imagination?
I was wondering about the gurney flaps back at the Sebring display. Each shot seemed to have them at a different angle, on what would have been the same run.