Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Jan 2009, 19:44 (Ref:2382273)   #1226
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They did keep the headlights though...
Old 30 Jan 2009, 01:22 (Ref:2382421)   #1227
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
They did keep the headlights though...
The economy makes it tough on everyone...'look, you are just going to have to live with last year's headlight bulb design'
Old 30 Jan 2009, 01:27 (Ref:2382422)   #1228
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Ok, so, big tires on the front, needs forward weight bias.

Rule set allows restrictor breaks for production based engines, and torquey engines are a big plus.

I keep thinking that this situation is made for a Panoz revival with a thumping Elan, big tires, agressive aero..............
Old 30 Jan 2009, 13:24 (Ref:2382657)   #1229
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the restrictor break for production based engines has gone away.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 14:21 (Ref:2382687)   #1230
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe
Ok, so, big tires on the front, allows forward weight bias.
Fixed that for ya...
Old 30 Jan 2009, 19:00 (Ref:2382795)   #1231
peter_elleray
Rookie

peter_elleray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD
Dont know why i didn't noticed this before, but just came to think of it!
The Acura Lmp1 reminds a lot of the Embassy from last year!
and here's me thinking i must be imagining it...

you guys might be interested to know that the wf01 ran tyres of almost the same width front to rear aswell (although not the same overall diameter).

and spent the whole season chasing rear end grip,

peter
Old 30 Jan 2009, 19:02 (Ref:2382797)   #1232
peter_elleray
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD
Dont know why i didn't noticed this before, but just came to think of it!
The Acura Lmp1 reminds a lot of the Embassy from last year!
and here's me thinking i must be imagining it...

you guys might be interested to know that the wf01 ran tyres of almost the same width front to rear aswell (although not the same overall diameter).

and spent the whole season chasing rear end grip,

peter
Old 30 Jan 2009, 19:39 (Ref:2382815)   #1233
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So Peter, are you saying that you think this is the wrong path? Myself not being overly informed on aero, it looks that the ARX-02a with its 0 keel and splitter angle etc.. treats the air different than the WF01, in that it brings it more midship before applying it as downforce. (?) and using the wider tires for more mechanical grip with the loss of aero from the front to mid and overall rule mandated loss. ???? Thats what it does to me anyways!!

L.P.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 20:16 (Ref:2382840)   #1234
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Fixed that for ya...
In my mind it was the same meaning, but even I don't really like to go into my mind
Old 30 Jan 2009, 21:28 (Ref:2382877)   #1235
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Let it out to wander for a bit and it never came back...
Old 30 Jan 2009, 23:01 (Ref:2382920)   #1236
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
New pics, including some official press photos.

http://www.speedtv.com/gallery/view/...=750&width=844
Old 30 Jan 2009, 23:35 (Ref:2382936)   #1237
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some really nice Photos!
But i would really like to see some more shots of the end of the front wheel cover, and the air intakes for the cooling Area, it looks very interesting!.
But some of the comparisons there is in the pictures, the P1, becomes more like an large evolution of the P2, than a brand new car, (to me), many aspects of the car looks very similar to each other.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 00:22 (Ref:2382960)   #1238
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Let it out to wander for a bit and it never came back...
It wasn't housebroken so clean up easier.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 01:10 (Ref:2382972)   #1239
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Yes, they can be like that...
Old 31 Jan 2009, 01:13 (Ref:2382976)   #1240
peter_elleray
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
So Peter, are you saying that you think this is the wrong path? Myself not being overly informed on aero, it looks that the ARX-02a with its 0 keel and splitter angle etc.. treats the air different than the WF01, in that it brings it more midship before applying it as downforce. (?) and using the wider tires for more mechanical grip with the loss of aero from the front to mid and overall rule mandated loss. ???? Thats what it does to me anyways!!

L.P.
no , not saying this is the wrong path - it all makes some sense but only if the tyre supplier will cater for the requirements of the car, instead of the other way around... but in general, more front aero requires more front weight, not the otherway around as you speculate. i dont really follow your ideas about the airflow tbh...

a works team, so the tyre situation should be a lot more focused and favourable than for a privateer who has to use the standard issue rubber.

btw wf01 also had a 'zero keel' monocque with machined brackets acting as stub keels in the outer front corners of the monocque, and relatively high lower wishbones..

peter
Old 31 Jan 2009, 02:07 (Ref:2382991)   #1241
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Again, a simultaneously depressing and inspiring story of the small independent with the good idea being thwarted through finance and then the big iron manufacturer realising the promise.

Makes me feel even more privileged and happy to have seen the Embassy guys close up last year at Le Mans.

It does however show that there is real complexity in finding the 'unfair advantage' and the dependencies that exist on suppliers like Michelin; which does does make me wonder to what extent they'll want to develop a front tyre of that spec in the absence of competition in the ALMS - or if this is something that argues in favour of Duncan Dayton's comment (rapidly recovered from and not redacted) on Midweek Motorsport that Acura is 'hopeful' of doing Le Mans this year.

And yes, I know that last sentence is probably nine parts aspiration to zero parts reality, but what else is silly season for?
Old 31 Jan 2009, 02:20 (Ref:2382993)   #1242
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Acura has stated that they're not ready for Le Mans this year.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 03:01 (Ref:2383004)   #1243
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well Duncan is, if they'd let him! http://audio.mpix.org.uk/alms09/2009_wwt_dayton.mp3 or http://www.radiolemans.com/ ALMS page

L.P.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 03:37 (Ref:2383010)   #1244
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Doesn't he say "I'm not saying we would NOT go this year"? That's odd way to say... well, at least there's some difference to the usual PR "we have a desire/goal/aspiration" that everyone from Berkman to drivers have kept repeating.

Last edited by deggis; 31 Jan 2009 at 03:44.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 03:55 (Ref:2383012)   #1245
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Quote:
Erik Berkman said as such on Monday night in Sebring.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 04:29 (Ref:2383017)   #1246
Ted bennett
Racer

England
Derbyshire
Ted bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike has posted a gallery of the new Acura via Facebook, nice shot of that savage looking drive shaft angle.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&id=703872327
Old 31 Jan 2009, 10:38 (Ref:2383104)   #1247
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I still dont understand the theory behind the rear wing mount , anyone ?

Cheers for the pics Mike . Any luck on the job front yet mate ?
Old 31 Jan 2009, 11:00 (Ref:2383117)   #1248
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger

I really dont have anything to back it up, but im thinking something about, how high/low or forward/backward they can mount the wing it self. ex. if we say regulations states that the Rear wing supports much be 75cm high and support the wing, the normal mount would put the wing in a hight of 75cm, but the Acura mount would put it in an ex. 50cm. But this it's only a guess, and i don't know why Acura would do it if it's the case!.

Another theory i have, but it's probably more unlikely to the previous, is that the mount which goes forward the wing itself, could "clean" or stabilizes the air going over the wing, kinda like Renaults F1 extended Air intake/roll over hoop, which had that effect.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 11:54 (Ref:2383148)   #1249
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Rear wing of Acura might aim at the same purpose as the installation of the airplane of neither the engine nor the fuel tank on the wing.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2383173)   #1250
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger

Rear wing mount is very, very simple, less disruption on the low pressure side by having the mounting on the less sensitive/important high pressure side.

Last edited by MulsanneMike; 31 Jan 2009 at 13:15.