Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Jun 2012, 02:49 (Ref:3091217)   #1
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
so why you think a South Island team should be testing their car during winter?

just curious

Well i just think that performing as much testing during different conditions is the best way forward, unless you can assume that the 'design' will be flawless from the get-go. I can see your point though, i.e a South Island based team testing in winter (cold) when the series will be run in summer (warm). But that begs the question, the NZV8s show-cased their new concept car at last years speedshow with Angus Fogg as one of their frontmen. They told everyone there that the intention was to run the new car for the 2012/13 season - we all know that. So why on earth did they not get their A into G and test the new chassis last spring and summer in prep for this season? By doing that they would have shut up the likes of people like me, and the public would be, by now familair with the new cars, rather than some photos or partially assembled chassis that are getting assembled very quickly so they can race come December. Before last summer started they had confirmed a new engine and gearbox for the car (which hasn't changed from what i can tell) and they had the perfect opportunity to test the whole package (not just the chassis with old running gear) over the last summer period. This would have also made for a better TV package (whether it be TV3 or Fujitsu) as they could have had some intersting tid-bits to chuck in on top of the lame racing to get the juices flowing. By that i mean Clint Brown or Summerfield interviewing and even showing the testing of the completed prototype during the summer series just gone. From there they could have all gone into hibernation for the winter knowing, with some confidence, that the package they had assembled and tested during a summer was fit for purpose.

Hope that satisfies your curiosity PM
Old 15 Jun 2012, 05:35 (Ref:3091247)   #2
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone actually seen on of these TTi gearboxes in action? I can't seem to find a hell of a lot about them on the interweb.

It's kind of got that feeling that it's a bit of a great unknown... will it be indestructible stroke of genius or will it be marshmallow soft disaster?

Kinda topical considering the issues that the V8ST are having with what should be an adequately spec'd gearbox from a well respected supplier.
Old 15 Jun 2012, 06:14 (Ref:3091253)   #3
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Can't get link to work will try something else
Old 15 Jun 2012, 07:58 (Ref:3091284)   #4
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
Has anyone actually seen on of these TTi gearboxes in action? I can't seem to find a hell of a lot about them on the interweb.

It's kind of got that feeling that it's a bit of a great unknown... will it be indestructible stroke of genius or will it be marshmallow soft disaster?

Kinda topical considering the issues that the V8ST are having with what should be an adequately spec'd gearbox from a well respected supplier.
you could email Bruce Verdon and ask him
Old 17 Jun 2012, 03:11 (Ref:3093090)   #5
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post

There is a website for TT gearboxes at www.ttindustries.com

Pretty sure Boote's speedway car has a tt gearbox, obviously dfferent spec to NZ V8 box but that Car still goes with hp/ torque etc getting through to the back wheels and the box whine is ok.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CArLjLtKAMI (boote)
Old 17 Jun 2012, 04:23 (Ref:3093134)   #6
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Championship with handicap races included is very good for the under achievers of our world.
Old 15 Jun 2012, 08:04 (Ref:3091289)   #7
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect he's likely to say they'll be sweet as.

I suspect Quaife would have said a similar thing about their product as well.
Old 16 Jun 2012, 09:56 (Ref:3091822)   #8
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
nah.. i meant V8SC

fan used to rattle off a lot of V8SC drivers names in line for a st drive ha
Old 16 Jun 2012, 10:20 (Ref:3091834)   #9
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for sharing a bit of real info fellas.
I will continue to watch with interest.

Its going to be hard for MRX to ensure their margin is maintained as they build the chassis' piecemeal. I'm sure they'd prefer to knock them out as a production run
Old 16 Jun 2012, 22:50 (Ref:3092741)   #10
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well said Club Racer
Old 17 Jun 2012, 01:31 (Ref:3092984)   #11
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
and here i was thinking i'd have a st-free sunday LOL
Old 17 Jun 2012, 10:46 (Ref:3093485)   #12
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
They have yet to run a car in new specs, they couldn't get parity right over two makes.

What's the aero package for the Toyota?

Is Andrew mackenzie involved any more?

What is going on with the **** in the wind law thing?

What ecu are they using?

So many what's and no info

Last edited by Blackpearl; 17 Jun 2012 at 10:55.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 02:26 (Ref:3093901)   #13
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
They have yet to run a car in new specs, they couldn't get parity right over two makes.
By "they" do you mean the board members that went across to V8ST?
Old 18 Jun 2012, 06:09 (Ref:3093935)   #14
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugy View Post
All i see in this thread is sarcasm and assumptions. The NZV8 may or may not get off the ground this season after being ambushed, but we will just have to wait and see. I still got the V8SC to look forward to.
Are the V8SC still racing in NZ in the future?
Old 18 Jun 2012, 09:44 (Ref:3094019)   #15
Oreti kid
Racer

New Zealand
Toowoomba
Oreti kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Premier Class or Economy Class

whilst i accept the fore going discussions RE: rolling starts/handicaps,I keep coming back to the question: Is this meant to be NZ's PREMIER Class? if so then if you can't afford to compete then so be it. are trying to over cheapen and over parity the whole game. lets have some space for innovation and ability. not everyone was born equal(thank god) and so those with either better driving skills or engineering skills will win on the day. Handicap Races and reverse grids are dangerous and a menace.
I would much rather watch 12 quality entrants than 24 also runs or Mr average.

My humble opinion
Old 18 Jun 2012, 11:18 (Ref:3094056)   #16
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreti kid View Post

Is this meant to be NZ's PREMIER Class? ........ I would much rather watch 12 quality entrants than 24 also runs or Mr average.
Will you get "12 quality entrants" in the New Generation NZV8 class in the 2012/13 season?

This goes back to my question in post #1522 to which there doesn't seem to be an answer as of yet :

How many new generation NZV8 cars will there be in the 2012/13 season?

I've heard (unsubstantiated) that between 3 and 5 have been sold but I presume they will need quite a few more than this to make up a credible grid. The MSNZ Gold Star Championship minimum criteria is 15 entrants in 75% of the Series rounds.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 20:13 (Ref:3094333)   #17
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
Will you get "12 quality entrants" in the New Generation NZV8 class in the 2012/13 season?

This goes back to my question in post #1522 to which there doesn't seem to be an answer as of yet :

How many new generation NZV8 cars will there be in the 2012/13 season?

I've heard (unsubstantiated) that between 3 and 5 have been sold but I presume they will need quite a few more than this to make up a credible grid. The MSNZ Gold Star Championship minimum criteria is 15 entrants in 75% of the Series rounds.
actually you've asked the question more than once (more like 50 times) obviously the number of drivers competing haven't been announced as the number of drivers competing having been confirmed at this stage.

btw the old gen cars are still part of the championship.. so even if 15 new gen cars don't line up at the 1st round.. it doesn't mean there won't be 15 entrants lined up.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 19:50 (Ref:3094316)   #18
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreti kid View Post
so then if you can't afford to compete then so be it. are trying to over cheapen and over parity the whole game. lets have some space for innovation and ability. not everyone was born equal(thank god) and so those with either better driving skills or engineering skills will win on the day. Handicap Races and reverse grids are dangerous and a menace.
I would much rather watch 12 quality entrants than 24 also runs or Mr average.

My humble opinion
I concur with your thoughts and the section quoted is really what motor racing across all fields is all about but in saying that, as much as I don't really like them there is in some starter classes and historic or classic racing classes room for a handicap race as part of the days program.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 21:27 (Ref:3094397)   #19
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
just stating the obvious

i could ask over and over and over for a 2012/13 TRS entrants list.. and the answer would be the same.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 07:17 (Ref:3094599)   #20
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
just stating the obvious

i could ask over and over and over for a 2012/13 TRS entrants list.. and the answer would be the same.
Totally agree with you. This is the smartest thing you have said.
Someone please explain clearly why this was allowed to go on.

Retorical question really. Big fat Toyota cheque book. I sure their involvement in the NZV8's won't be similarly tainted.
The sport's administration have been in denial for too long and the commercial tie up with promoter is disgraceful.

It would be sad to think that because TRS was allowed to carry on that it sets a precedent.
On a brighter note, prospective (overseas) drivers should line up outside Fowlkes office and lobby for a subsidised drive.
That's one way to get a grid and one they are accustomed to

When I was a young lad growing up I was taught that two wrongs don't make a ...
Old 19 Jun 2012, 08:24 (Ref:3094641)   #21
kiwiracer
Rookie

kiwiracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Toyota are funding the Camy, but I may be wrong?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 10:31 (Ref:3094735)   #22
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiracer View Post
I don't think Toyota are funding the Camy, but I may be wrong?
Quote in press release from Toyota's John Fowke :
"It's important to remember that the NZV8 programme is spearheaded by our dealer in Thames Valley, Richards Toyota and it's great to see that! We are supplying panels and an engine through them but actually they are doing all the hard development work and they will own that."
Old 19 Jun 2012, 08:46 (Ref:3094657)   #23
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
Totally agree with you. This is the smartest thing you have said.
Someone please explain clearly why this was allowed to go on.

Retorical question really. Big fat Toyota cheque book. I sure their involvement in the NZV8's won't be similarly tainted.
The sport's administration have been in denial for too long and the commercial tie up with promoter is disgraceful.

It would be sad to think that because TRS was allowed to carry on that it sets a precedent.
On a brighter note, prospective (overseas) drivers should line up outside Fowlkes office and lobby for a subsidised drive.
That's one way to get a grid and one they are accustomed to

When I was a young lad growing up I was taught that two wrongs don't make a ...
TRS survives because the days of running per event and quickfire week after week works for funded young up and comers to gain mega experience for the northern hemisphere season...if any of you take the time to check the international results from around the world you will see that most of them from this past TRS season are doing very well(ironically except for cassidy)...almost every driver from TRS this year has a gig whether in formula car or gt racing.......back in the 80's and 90's we did 5 or 6 on the trot every january,so nothing new there...
surely its a bit early to Bag toyota for supporting another class of nz motorsport...shouldnt that be applauded.
and while on the subject of numbers...v8SC were happy to have 10 f3 cars on their bill at darwin and less at Tasmania..we are fixated on 15 cars for nzv8 ....i guess the rules must state that somewhere ....but seriously with the split and starting from scratch is gonna take time....seems to me that most of the criticism is magnified because of the hatred for MNZ hierarchy.(mnz and TMC/msp).
if any of the expert wannabe's out there know of any real life racers you will probably know that this year 2012/13 is gonna be no better for finding money.........which will ultimately be the biggest reason for smaller grids outside the classes full of lifestyle older racers.
just my opinion
Old 19 Jun 2012, 09:29 (Ref:3094686)   #24
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
TRS survives because the days of running per event and quickfire week after week works for funded young up and comers to gain mega experience for the northern hemisphere season...if any of you take the time to check the international results from around the world you will see that most of them from this past TRS season are doing very well(ironically except for cassidy)...almost every driver from TRS this year has a gig whether in formula car or gt racing.......back in the 80's and 90's we did 5 or 6 on the trot every january,so nothing new there...
surely its a bit early to Bag toyota for supporting another class of nz motorsport...shouldnt that be applauded.
and while on the subject of numbers...v8SC were happy to have 10 f3 cars on their bill at darwin and less at Tasmania..we are fixated on 15 cars for nzv8 ....i guess the rules must state that somewhere ....but seriously with the split and starting from scratch is gonna take time....seems to me that most of the criticism is magnified because of the hatred for MNZ hierarchy.(mnz and TMC/msp).
if any of the expert wannabe's out there know of any real life racers you will probably know that this year 2012/13 is gonna be no better for finding money.........which will ultimately be the biggest reason for smaller grids outside the classes full of lifestyle older racers.
just my opinion
Yes the GFC is no friend of motorsport. Not to be confused the GC though, my wife watches that...
Old 19 Jun 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3094495)   #25
supercar_freek
Rookie

supercar_freek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote form http://www.nzv8s.co.nz
The V8 category will be battling for two Gold Star Championships this coming season, one for the current model of Ford and Holden and one for the new generation NZV8 cars which currently encapsulates Ford, Holden and Toyota.
Doesnt that mean that they need 30 cars. 15 for each of the Gold star championships?