Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Jan 2024, 12:13 (Ref:4192871)   #1226
MarcusH26
Racer

MarcusH26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggs View Post
No Stephen Jelley on the grid this year...
Not too surprised, think he'll probably go and race GTs. That 4th WSR seat is probably the prime seat that anyone with a healthy budget will be aiming for.
Old 22 Jan 2024, 12:16 (Ref:4192872)   #1227
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggs View Post
No Stephen Jelley on the grid this year...
Yes, no surprises there. From his announcement it looks like his 2024 plans will be revealed soon - I wouldn't be surprised if its something in British GT (where he raced from 2011-2012) or even Porsche Carrera Cup GB (where he raced from 2010-2011 and 2015-2016)
Old 22 Jan 2024, 12:45 (Ref:4192876)   #1228
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unlike some other announcements this does appear to be a genuine decision to race elsewhere rather than masking budget shortfalls. The Jelley family business is still bringing in more than sufficient funds to cover his racing.
Old 22 Jan 2024, 13:14 (Ref:4192880)   #1229
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I know there was some discussion on ticket prices towards the end of last season when people pointed out that crowds looked a little thin on the ground.

I noticed that for the Donington April round, its £35 in advance for race day. Anyone have any thoughts on that, too much, about right?
Old 22 Jan 2024, 13:17 (Ref:4192881)   #1230
InYourMirrors45
Racer

InYourMirrors45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I know there was some discussion on ticket prices towards the end of last season when people pointed out that crowds looked a little thin on the ground.

I noticed that for the Donington April round, its £35 in advance for race day. Anyone have any thoughts on that, too much, about right?
It’s usually been about £35 on the gate and about £30-32 in advance. All in all I still think £35 for an adult ticket is great value to watch a day of non stop racing. You pay silly amounts for the British GP Sunday and see about 3 races and have massive gaps in between each one with nothing else going on. On the flip side though I found the support packages to be very dull last year with the loss of the Ginetta juniors and the new series didn’t really add much IMO so I can see why people maybe a little annoyed at the prices going up.
Old 22 Jan 2024, 13:58 (Ref:4192888)   #1231
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
The cynic in me might suggest a lower crowd but one that pays more would be preferred by the organisers for a number of reasons.
Old 22 Jan 2024, 14:32 (Ref:4192896)   #1232
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The cynic in me might suggest a lower crowd but one that pays more would be preferred by the organisers for a number of reasons.
I'd agree on that. All well and good lowering the price to tempt a bigger crowd, but it means more public stewards, security, parking attendants etc- which costs more.
Of course we'd all love bigger crowds in terms of the health of the category - watched a few old dvds over Xmas and Donington in particular these days looks dead at the start of a race - but I don't think national racing is going to pull big crowds for a long time yet. It suits me mind, bit easier to get in and out, shorter queues for food (and toilets) not fighting for a decent view and less people who can't be bothered to look after their kids properly! (Grumpy or what?!)

£35 is bang on IMO. I do go to seven or eight rounds, but for many people it's a once a year thing - couple of adults, couple of kids - still cheaper than other comparable activities. Just the last week going to a League One football match was more expensive, and an IMAX cinema for four wasn't far behind a full day at BTCC!
Old 22 Jan 2024, 14:42 (Ref:4192901)   #1233
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2001 was £20 for raceday ticket for Donny. With inflation average 2.7% since then, that is pretty much £35 in today's money.
Old 22 Jan 2024, 14:52 (Ref:4192903)   #1234
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think we'll see too much entry news for a while yet. That regulations file also mentions the final driver registration date as mid March. A few weeks later than usual.
Old 22 Jan 2024, 16:51 (Ref:4192909)   #1235
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I don't think we'll see too much entry news for a while yet. That regulations file also mentions the final driver registration date as mid March. A few weeks later than usual.
It was March 17th last year.
Old 22 Jan 2024, 16:53 (Ref:4192910)   #1236
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Last few year the first round has been pushed back about 3 weeks compared to typical previously, for whatever reason.
Old 22 Jan 2024, 17:31 (Ref:4192912)   #1237
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I imagine, certainly if the line-up is unchanged, NAPA, WSR, Excelr8 and Toyota will be doing one announcement to cover the whole line-up, as has been the trend in recent years. So there could only be half a dozen or so to expect.

One Motorsport seems the like the big mystery at the moment?
Old 22 Jan 2024, 17:36 (Ref:4192913)   #1238
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourMirrors45 View Post
It’s usually been about £35 on the gate and about £30-32 in advance. All in all I still think £35 for an adult ticket is great value to watch a day of non stop racing. You pay silly amounts for the British GP Sunday and see about 3 races and have massive gaps in between each one with nothing else going on.
For some reason I've still got it in my head that a weekend BTCC ticket is £20-25, even though I know it's not been that for years.

Last time I paid to go to the British GP was qualifying Saturday in 1996 - there was a particular support race I wanted to see. That ticket was £30 for the day. Just checked how much the equivalent one day ticket would cost this year
Old 22 Jan 2024, 19:59 (Ref:4192934)   #1239
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusH26 View Post
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2024/01/22/wsr-aiming-to-be-back-where-we-should-be-in-2024/

Interesting piece with Dick Bennett's , new engine for the BMW for this season too.
Is he assuming NAPA have just gone on Holiday?
Old 22 Jan 2024, 20:02 (Ref:4192935)   #1240
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
One Motorsport seems the like the big mystery at the moment?
Jade Edwards posted something on Instagram yesterday to suggest that she and Josh Cook would be teammates again this year.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 10:27 (Ref:4192984)   #1241
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
For some reason I've still got it in my head that a weekend BTCC ticket is £20-25, even though I know it's not been that for years.

Last time I paid to go to the British GP was qualifying Saturday in 1996 - there was a particular support race I wanted to see. That ticket was £30 for the day. Just checked how much the equivalent one day ticket would cost this year
I still have some ticket stubs from the BTCC 1998 season, I think some race day tickets were £15.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 10:56 (Ref:4192986)   #1242
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I still have some ticket stubs from the BTCC 1998 season, I think some race day tickets were £15.

I'm old enough to remember when you could have an all day spectator ticket for 10 bob note in old money (50p) plus another half-crown, which was 2/6d (12.5p), for admittance to the paddock. And that would be for major meetings such as a GP or something like the BOAC 500 or 1000.

I usually go to at least one BTCC meeting a year and I've not noticed much reduction in the crowd; last year at Oulton was rammed.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 11:20 (Ref:4192988)   #1243
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I'm old enough to remember when you could have an all day spectator ticket for 10 bob note in old money (50p) plus another half-crown, which was 2/6d (12.5p), for admittance to the paddock. And that would be for major meetings such as a GP or something like the BOAC 500 or 1000.

I usually go to at least one BTCC meeting a year and I've not noticed much reduction in the crowd; last year at Oulton was rammed.
Attended Thruxton with my Dad who has been going for almost 40-years and we couldn't remember a meeting that busy either.

I think there is, not incorrectly, some negative commentary about issues in the championship at present but I don't think it is anywhere near being in a 'bad' situation, simply evolving. Given global events, it is remarkable it is still as strong and well-supported as it is.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 11:45 (Ref:4192993)   #1244
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands final certainly felt a little bit emptier last year, I suppose it’s because we pretty much knew the champion before they started.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 12:05 (Ref:4193000)   #1245
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
Attended Thruxton with my Dad who has been going for almost 40-years and we couldn't remember a meeting that busy either.

I think there is, not incorrectly, some negative commentary about issues in the championship at present but I don't think it is anywhere near being in a 'bad' situation, simply evolving. Given global events, it is remarkable it is still as strong and well-supported as it is.
Thruxton was rammed! And it didn't seem to be just because of the weather being so good. It seemed, from my experience, that there were a lot of first timers - which is a positive sign, although there were more than a few comments about toilets.

Conversely, I thought both Donington rounds seemed to be rather empty away from the outside of Craners. Inside of Craners was very dearth compared to the last couple of seasons, but neither came with a decent weather forecast or decent weather.

Silverstone compared to pre-Covid was the worst I'd seen I think (I did notice many, many complaints on social media from fans put off by the ticketing - which I'm sure I've seen is changing again this year.

Knockhill was packed and Croft was quite full (I think both have a high amount of pre-sales compared to MSV/Silverstone, so they're always going to have a buzz) I didn't do Oulton this year, but it looked quite full on TV. Snetterton seemed to mirror Thruxton. Brands Indy I thought was not as full as normal, the Brands Final round was a strange one. I thought there would have been a few more there because of the hot weather - apart from around Paddock Hill and the hairpin it seemed a bit low. The GP section was much more empty than I thought it would be - but as stated above it was a foregone conclusion.

I don't think BTCC is in dire straits, in the past I've moaned about how lots of things are not being pushed, but I think this year will see a change in attitude. I think the chamionship knows they need to act to protect what they have, and if they don't it'll be easier to slip down the slope than to climb it.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 13:17 (Ref:4193006)   #1246
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Silverstone compared to pre-Covid was the worst I'd seen I think (I did notice many, many complaints on social media from fans put off by the ticketing - which I'm sure I've seen is

I don't think BTCC is in dire straits, in the past I've moaned about how lots of things are not being pushed, but I think this year will see a change in attitude. I think the chamionship knows they need to act to protect what they have, and if they don't it'll be easier to slip down the slope than to climb it.[/QUOTE]

Maybe Silverstone should take a look at how other tracks treat their customers. Being made to park outside and have to walk miles to see anything, grumpy staff / security, overpriced poor quality catering, poor viewing . Its not got a lot going for it really
Old 23 Jan 2024, 13:53 (Ref:4193011)   #1247
tocatrucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Lane 1 of the A1M
tocatrucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Josh Price seems to be aiming for a return.
Old 23 Jan 2024, 14:13 (Ref:4193013)   #1248
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocatrucky View Post
Josh Price seems to be aiming for a return.
Has he raced much since BTCC? I don’t think I’ve seen him in anything since, I think 2018 was his last year?
Old 23 Jan 2024, 14:19 (Ref:4193017)   #1249
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Silverstone compared to pre-Covid was the worst I'd seen I think (I did notice many, many complaints on social media from fans put off by the ticketing - which I'm sure I've seen is

I don't think BTCC is in dire straits, in the past I've moaned about how lots of things are not being pushed, but I think this year will see a change in attitude. I think the chamionship knows they need to act to protect what they have, and if they don't it'll be easier to slip down the slope than to climb it.
Maybe Silverstone should take a look at how other tracks treat their customers. Being made to park outside and have to walk miles to see anything, grumpy staff / security, overpriced poor quality catering, poor viewing . Its not got a lot going for it really[/QUOTE]

Silverstone has been poor for a while in my humble opinion. They never let an opportunity to rinse the consumer slip them by. Also the security they hire are overzealous and i'd argue pointless. Why do they need to hire security anyway, never had any security when I have been to other circuits?
Old 23 Jan 2024, 14:37 (Ref:4193018)   #1250
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Maybe Silverstone should take a look at how other tracks treat their customers.

Silverstone has been poor for a while in my humble opinion. They never let an opportunity to rinse the consumer slip them by. Also the security they hire are overzealous and i'd argue pointless. Why do they need to hire security anyway, never had any security when I have been to other circuits?
And there is the place in a nutshell.