Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 19 Jul 2015, 22:45 (Ref:3559617)   #1326
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those are good times Skelts. Really good times u actually. Well done to you and Pru.

I got a drive through at Snett! Apparently I was too quick on my 30 sec stop for a driver change (I was on my own so stayed in the car instead of changing drivers)which I find odd as it had two helpers timing me... Still I took my medicin!
Old 19 Jul 2015, 22:52 (Ref:3559618)   #1327
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I did mention scrutineering Tim, as I know how mods think, having previous experience, or is that 'form'?. However, while this is an Historic Racing forum, it is still about people, and it seems anything goes in Tea Break so it not the substance that would change just the venue.

Bauble.
I'll support you Bob...no harm in a bit if healthy competition from Builders Tea...in fact if your thread is blocked permanently maybe we should appeal to Monopolies and Mergers?!
Old 20 Jul 2015, 05:31 (Ref:3559648)   #1328
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I thought the reports on the news this morning were a bit odd. In light of the report that Tim has highlighted it seems that there maybe a can of worms left to be made public.
Indeed, after seeing the report, it's a bit of a puzzle why the Beeb piece....

Nick, sometimes during a pit stop race, race control use a 'delta time' for your pass through the pit lane, rather than checking exactly how long you were stopped for. So even if you stopped for precisely 30secs, but we're a bit quick coming in or leaving, it would trigger their response....

I've been guilty a few times!
Old 20 Jul 2015, 05:37 (Ref:3559649)   #1329
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Mike I think your right...I was told a drive through should be 44 secs so add the 30 secs to that plus a bit for stopping and starting. Maybe I did leave a tad sharpish but surely that would have shown on the speed camera?
Old 20 Jul 2015, 06:12 (Ref:3559652)   #1330
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
Mike I think your right...I was told a drive through should be 44 secs so add the 30 secs to that plus a bit for stopping and starting. Maybe I did leave a tad sharpish but surely that would have shown on the speed camera?
If they used a speed gun or camera, and not sure if they do at Snett, it would only measure at one point during your pass through pits. It's still possible to speed- I know......
Old 20 Jul 2015, 06:54 (Ref:3559654)   #1331
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Well done Peter, what's the degree in, bet it's nothing to do with engineering.
Apologies for the delayed reply. It's an LLB, Bachelor of Laws.

On the subject of music, I had the same problem with Elvis, hard to like his entire catalog, but a few things were good.

Otis Redding, The Staples Singers and Eddie Floyd were my introduction to "soul" music. There was a great show on Radio one every Saturday with Pete Simons(?) he ran through the entire gamut of black music from Gospel all the way to Motown. It was required listening before heading out for the evening.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 07:20 (Ref:3559658)   #1332
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not to like Elvis? Well it's all a matter of taste, and upbringing (musically speaking), for my self I like songs that make we want to stomp my feet, or make me feel sad, in either case I have to be able to 'sing' them in the bath.

If you can't at least hum the tune on hearing it once or twice, it just ain't music.

Some years ago I used to report on motor sport for a local radio station on a Friday evening sports show, following which, two black lads had an R&B slot. When Hamilton sprang to prominence I suggested that I could give a little report on his progress (him being black).
While this was great fun it meant listening to a lot of what they called R&B (Mary J Blige springs to mind), and I could not find anything in it to like. No recognisable tune, lyrics you could not follow, and frankly simply a dreadful noise. However, someone must have liked it!!

Like Mike my wife likes Perry Como, I don't but can agree that he is a good singer.

Breakfast is ready must go ...see you later.....
Old 20 Jul 2015, 08:11 (Ref:3559667)   #1333
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
my wife likes Perry Como, I don't but can agree that he is a good singer...
Good singer- that's the important bit! The ability to perform live in key and with clarity is paramount IMO. Charisma helps. If anyone watched the VE concert Beeb did earlier this year, they surely would agree that contemporary performer John Legend falls into that category, singing the old classic 'As time goes by', from memory. I reckon there are some current artists of equal quality to the legends we reminisce about, but will they be held in such light in 30-40 years time?

Bit like classic cars- how many of the current models will become one?

Old 20 Jul 2015, 08:42 (Ref:3559677)   #1334
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'll support you Bob...no harm in a bit if healthy competition from Builders Tea...in fact if your thread is blocked permanently maybe we should appeal to Monopolies and Mergers?!
Thanks for your support Nick, although we may stand alone against a sea of Luddites, reactionaries. dinosaurs, and plain old stick-in-the-muds. Why with a little imagination we could have multiple outlets for our genius;

'Tea Time With Tim'.

'Breakfast at Bell's'.

'Munching With Mallet'.

'Turner's Tiffin'.

'Nick's Nosh Break'.

'Party With Peter'.

'Mad Max's Tea Party'. (Apologies to Mt Tyler.)

'Eating at Ed's'

'Coffee and Cake at Colins'.

'Apres Aprillia'.

Why should this Delta chappie get all of the recognition?

Che bauble.

Lest anyone take offence ..
Old 20 Jul 2015, 08:50 (Ref:3559680)   #1335
bauble
Veteran

England
Explanation of the Greek Bailout.

It is a slow day in a little Greek Village. The rain is beating down and the streets are deserted.

Times are tough, everybody is in debt, and everybody lives on credit.

On this particular day, a rich German tourist is driving through the village, stops at the local hotel and lays a €100 note on the desk, telling the hotel owner he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs in order to pick one to spend the night.

The owner gives him some keys and, as soon as the visitor has walked upstairs, the hotelier grabs the €100 note and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher.

The butcher takes the €100 note and runs down the street to repay his debt to the pig farmer.

The pig farmer takes the €100 note and heads off to pay his bill at the supplier of feed and fuel.

The guy at the Farmers' Co-op takes the €100 note and runs to pay his drinks bill at the taverna.

The publican slips the money along to the local prostitute drinking at the bar, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer him "services" on credit.

The hooker then rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill to the hotel owner with the €100 note.

The hotel proprietor then places the €100 note back on the counter so the rich traveller will not suspect anything.

At that moment the traveller comes down the stairs, picks up the €100 note, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, pockets the money, and leaves town.
No one produced anything.
No one earned anything.
However, the whole village is now out of debt and looking to the future with a lot more optimism.

And that is how the bailout package works!

Tim, I'll be round for that 20p later.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 11:23 (Ref:3559702)   #1336
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's brilliant Bob! Not just Greece but the whole of the banking system.......
Old 20 Jul 2015, 12:35 (Ref:3559732)   #1337
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Another take on the Greek situation:
Some years ago a small rural town in Spain twinned with a similar town in Greece.
The Mayor of the Greek town visited the Spanish town. When he saw the palatial mansion belonging to the Spanish Mayor, he wondered aloud how on earth he could afford such a house.
The Spaniard replied: ‘You see that bridge over there? The EU gave us a grant to construct a two-lane bridge, but by building a single lane bridge with traffic lights at either end, I could build this place with the money left over.’
The following year the Spaniard visited the Greek town. He was simply amazed at the Greek Mayor's house: gold taps, marble floors, diamond doorknobs, it was marvellous.
When he asked how he’d raised the money to build this incredible house, the Greek Mayor said: ‘You see that bridge over there?’
The Spaniard replied: ‘No.’
Old 20 Jul 2015, 12:41 (Ref:3559733)   #1338
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
very good. I'd have expected a third installment . . .

2 lane bridge with a toll.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 13:09 (Ref:3559745)   #1339
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
When he asked how he’d raised the money to build this incredible house, the Greek Mayor said: ‘You see that bridge over there?’
The Spaniard replied: ‘No.’
That one is brilliant, I love it.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 13:15 (Ref:3559747)   #1340
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
A fascinating skim.

One wonders if the original engine was in fact built to specification in its original form.
As was said in one of the reports, over the years with many different operating companies and especially BR things would have been bodged to save money, especially as originally I expect it would have been lifed for probably about 20-30 years (if that) not the 80 odd years it has been around. It made me smile when it mentioned the three cylinders being different sizes and one being different from one end to the other.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 13:45 (Ref:3559756)   #1341
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
That one is brilliant, I love it.
Me too!
Old 20 Jul 2015, 15:02 (Ref:3559778)   #1342
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
...... It made me smile when it mentioned the three cylinders being different sizes and one being different from one end to the other.
Reminds me of the Nimrod MRA4 fiasco. The plane was to mate brand new engines and wings to the existing Nimrod fuselages, and fit all new mission systems. IIRC, 20 sets of CAD/CAM produced wings were procured but when it came to mate them to the fuselages there was up to 4cm difference between airframes. Had to scrap all the wing sets and design each one individually, and that was just one of the nails in that particular projects coffin.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 16:42 (Ref:3559808)   #1343
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Reminds me of the Nimrod MRA4 fiasco. The plane was to mate brand new engines and wings to the existing Nimrod fuselages, and fit all new mission systems. IIRC, 20 sets of CAD/CAM produced wings were procured but when it came to mate them to the fuselages there was up to 4cm difference between airframes. Had to scrap all the wing sets and design each one individually, and that was just one of the nails in that particular projects coffin.

If one goes back to the original Nimrod development contract it belonged to the British GEC, well known for white goods at the time.

They had the challenge of ever changing needs, fluid specifications and computer systems that hardly stood still in development for more than a few weeks - so whatever was developed was likely to be obsolete before the plans left the drawing boards ...

Smart people though. The contract with the Government was based on "Cost plus". In other words whatever the recorded costs were (up to the point that each part of the development was abandoned and a new plan initiated) +9%. (That was the figure I was told.)

The longer the development took the more the cash cow delivered. All profit, no risk.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 19:31 (Ref:3559844)   #1344
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Nick I have been considering your idea about the Monopolies Commission, and I have carried out some research to decide which one we should use, however, it appears there is only one. This does not give much choice, and I suspect that various officials (no names no pack drill) will have knobbled them well in advance, therefore I have abandoned the idea.

We will have to wait until the revolution ............

Che.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 19:41 (Ref:3559847)   #1345
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Quote:
Explanation of the Greek Bailout.

It is a slow day in a little Greek Village....

At that moment the traveller comes down the stairs, picks up the €100 note, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, pockets the money, and leaves town.
No one produced anything.
No one earned anything.
However, the whole village is now out of debt and looking to the future with a lot more optimism.

And that is how the bailout package works!

Tim, I'll be round for that 20p later.

As I've said to anyone who will listen...the whole bail out is nothing more than a massive Ponzi Scheme!!!
Old 20 Jul 2015, 19:43 (Ref:3559849)   #1346
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Quote:
Nick I have been considering your idea about the Monopolies Commission, and I have carried out some research to decide which one we should use, however, it appears there is only one. This does not give much choice, and I suspect that various officials (no names no pack drill) will have knobbled them well in advance, therefore I have abandoned the idea.

We will have to wait until the revolution ............

Che.
Power to the people!
Old 20 Jul 2015, 20:00 (Ref:3559854)   #1347
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mods, pray forgive me as I am about to sin.

I know this is not the right forum subject wise but I believe it's the right place to find the person who may be able to help.
My rickety ole memory possesses me to think that a regular to HRT makes car stickers/decals. I have a friend who is after renewing a few for her car before mid August, can whomever the kind gentleman might be contact me please.
Attached Thumbnails
Pedro.jpg  
Old 20 Jul 2015, 21:21 (Ref:3559876)   #1348
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post

I know this is not the right forum subject wise but I believe it's the right place to find the person who may be able to help.
My rickety ole memory possesses me to think that a regular to HRT makes car stickers/decals. I have a friend who is after renewing a few for her car before mid August, can whomever the kind gentleman might be contact me please.
Al Weyman I would think.

Cadart dot com as I recall.
Old 21 Jul 2015, 06:17 (Ref:3559940)   #1349
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
No forgiveness needed IMO- Great looking car!
Old 21 Jul 2015, 10:25 (Ref:3559978)   #1350
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perfect place to ask Ian, and yes, must be Al surely.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Closed Thread