Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 3 Sep 2023, 08:07 (Ref:4174977)   #1351
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I initially thought the fake wire wheel lookalikes were the real deal. Its so wrong on so many counts it is strangely right.

Doesnt come close on desirability but spotted this GT version of the Smart Roadster. I would have taken another pic from the side or behind, but the (approaching middle aged) lady who owned it wandered up to it looking like she thought she was something so special, oversized 'chest' in an undersized blouse, tiny shorts, tossing her hair back like some Supermodel I refused to encourage her by taking anything vaguely close up or obvious. (Or incriminate myself as some kind of perv. Honest I was more interested in the car not her!).
Amusingly she struggled to get out of the parking space without nudging the motorbike parked behind.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4380SmartCoupe.jpeg  

Last edited by E.B; 3 Sep 2023 at 08:12.
Old 3 Sep 2023, 08:17 (Ref:4174978)   #1352
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I quite like them, the car not the big chest, although on reflection..... .
Old 3 Sep 2023, 08:20 (Ref:4174979)   #1353
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The Smart Roadsters are certainly unique and I'm sure do their own thing that other cars can't
Old 3 Sep 2023, 09:02 (Ref:4174982)   #1354
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I quite like them, the car not the big chest, although on reflection..... .
I can attest that the car is really fantastic on the road, cornering abilities are far beyond many other so called sport cars. Of course, unless you go for a powerful 100 hp Brabus version, the engine is somewhat aesthmatic. I'd go for a Roadster, the big rear window of the Coupé adding too much weight to this little wonder. It's no coincidence that they make crazy money now (production stopped in 2006).
Old 3 Sep 2023, 11:14 (Ref:4174993)   #1355
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I initially thought the fake wire wheel lookalikes were the real deal. Its so wrong on so many counts it is strangely right.

Doesnt come close on desirability but spotted this GT version of the Smart Roadster. I would have taken another pic from the side or behind, but the (approaching middle aged) lady who owned it wandered up to it looking like she thought she was something so special, oversized 'chest' in an undersized blouse, tiny shorts, tossing her hair back like some Supermodel I refused to encourage her by taking anything vaguely close up or obvious. (Or incriminate myself as some kind of perv. Honest I was more interested in the car not her!).
Amusingly she struggled to get out of the parking space without nudging the motorbike parked behind.
Ah, thought that may have been a Smart. Saw one like that in France but just clearing a corner so didn't get the whole thing.

And more than a few times thwarted on getting a car picture cause taking that picture, often in my marked city car, ain't worth the honest I don't care about you, the car is cooler explanation

And oh yes, fake wire wheel hubcaps for the classing up your car win always
Old 3 Sep 2023, 11:26 (Ref:4174995)   #1356
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
And oh yes, fake wire wheel hubcaps for the classing up your car win always
Fake? https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89...ments_Robergel Original? https://www.ruoteborrani.com/ Nothing like a postcard in the spokes!
Old 3 Sep 2023, 11:42 (Ref:4174996)   #1357
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Fake? https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89...ments_Robergel Original? https://www.ruoteborrani.com/ Nothing like a postcard in the spokes!
OK you got me there..... I never thought I would see a Peugeot 403 ragtop with wire wheels! Pic in the link you put up. Seen plenty of 203 Cabrios but never with wires

Also I officially adore the little red Simca 9 Coupé in the same link. Also the "Simca 9 Sport bodied by Figoni and Falaschi"
Old 3 Sep 2023, 11:47 (Ref:4174999)   #1358
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ho yes, those were the days with wonderful special bodies. As to weird accessories, do you remember the "chromed antenas" fixed to the front fender to tell you the distance between the wheel and the pavement? May be Robri or Robergel in France. Ancester of parking radar!
Old 3 Sep 2023, 11:59 (Ref:4175000)   #1359
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Like the Simca 9 Aronde too (Swallow?) was the first real Simca, not a rebadged Fiat. I've always been amazed by Henri Pigozzi's life and all the love and respect he showed for his wife. To convince her to accept to drive a vulgar Simca 1000, he asked to his engineers to invent a name avoiding "plastic" or "skaï" for the seats trim. Do you remember the seats of the Panhard PL 17 Tigre?
Old 3 Sep 2023, 12:04 (Ref:4175002)   #1360
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s interesting to learn a bit more about the Simca, it’s not exactly a well recognised name in terms of car manufacturers from the past, so thanks guys
Old 3 Sep 2023, 12:54 (Ref:4175004)   #1361
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It’s interesting to learn a bit more about the Simca, it’s not exactly a well recognised name in terms of car manufacturers from the past, so thanks guys

It is to many of us of a certain age.
Old 3 Sep 2023, 13:36 (Ref:4175012)   #1362
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It is to many of us of a certain age.

Well yes. There’s a few car manufacturers I remember from my youth that wouldn’t be well recognised now, either because they became out of fashion or extinct
Old 3 Sep 2023, 13:55 (Ref:4175015)   #1363
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Could be fun in the wet. I think I’ve mentioned this before. Automatic, but it really is just a manual that is computer controlled. It tended to be quite a harsh change. Under power if it changed up the weight would briefly transfer to the front which would suddenly have more grip than before!
Old 3 Sep 2023, 18:12 (Ref:4175048)   #1364
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Do you remember the seats of the Panhard PL 17 Tigre?
Do you mean the seats that looked something like a tiger skin and continued onto the door trims? With suicide front doors the effect was quite special!

I liked this article of a barn find PL17, meticulously restored, albeit the later traditional door model and not the Tigre model I had in mind. I particularly like the good pics in this of the very sparse and open plan engine bay.

https://petrolicious.com/articles/pu...life-in-the-uk

Edit: I found this picture I think from a publicity document for the PL17 Tigre. Does not show the suicide door effect fully though.

Also found another pic.....

Last edited by E.B; 3 Sep 2023 at 18:18.
Old 3 Sep 2023, 19:17 (Ref:4175050)   #1365
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Do you mean the seats that looked something like a tiger skin and continued onto the door trims? With suicide front doors the effect was quite special!
Great! Yes, this. The PL17 was cleverly engineered, flat floor making room for six passengers and a huge trunk capacity. The first version had full aluminium body but the second one was a mix aluminium/steel both with blinkers on top of the front wings. The tiger trim complimented a tuned engine via a special camshaft. They got a bad reputation of poor reliability because of the gearbox issues and a swinging engine at idle. Very good road holding much better than anything else on the road. I drove quite a few of them, really enjoyable cars.
Old 3 Sep 2023, 20:11 (Ref:4175062)   #1366
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chris, I hope that Storm Dana hasn't had any undesirable consequences for your Mum's place in Calpe?
Old 3 Sep 2023, 21:26 (Ref:4175090)   #1367
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Chris, I hope that Storm Dana hasn't had any undesirable consequences for your Mum's place in Calpe?
Im still there until the weekend.... We had rain yesterday and all night but very windy today. Went down to the Arenal Beach area this evening and it was very blowy.... for the Med the waves were big and indeed some folk were out with surfboards! Forecast is for it to be calmer but perhaps cloudy tomorrow. Still looking at min 25C tonight and top 30C tomorrow
Old 5 Sep 2023, 13:47 (Ref:4175279)   #1368
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Make sure you paint the rear for visibility, wife says the lights were barely lit on the brakes
Old 5 Sep 2023, 16:42 (Ref:4175298)   #1369
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Make sure you paint the rear for visibility, wife says the lights were barely lit on the brakes
Which car was she talking about? If its the grey one on her right may she'd better consider a visit to SpecSavers or the like…
Old 5 Sep 2023, 22:29 (Ref:4175331)   #1370
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
White on White

Oh and the Vuelta (bike race) is in the area and so all the support vehicles are out. Adam will be happy to know multi coloured Skoda wagons seem to be popular in the support stakes.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4458.WhiteOnWhite.jpeg   IMG_4404VueltaSkoda.jpeg  
Old 5 Sep 2023, 23:53 (Ref:4175336)   #1371
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
I know we had a Citroën Méhari a few pages back but today I spotted an absolutely mint one down at the Real Club Náutico de Calpe all the way from the Côte d'Azur. Stunning condition and 88,000 klicks on the clock. Gerard said they have a resurgence in electric powered versions but this had all the right umbrella bits inside. Maybe the gauge left of the main instrument is a tell tale? I didnt look that closely. It was after lunch!

Oh and a bit of a Mafia looking Defender as well. Never seen such a long wheel base one before and very blacked out
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4445.jpeg   IMG_4443.jpeg   IMG_4444.jpeg  

IMG_4448.jpeg   IMG_4437.jpeg   IMG_4438.jpeg  

Last edited by E.B; 6 Sep 2023 at 00:12.
Old 6 Sep 2023, 00:16 (Ref:4175339)   #1372
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
White on White

Oh and the Vuelta (bike race) is in the area and so all the support vehicles are out. Adam will be happy to know multi coloured Skoda wagons seem to be popular in the support stakes.
Brilliant. Just watched the time trial.

Skodas make up a lot of the team support vehicles and the race control vehicles. On the Tour they have a medical car that has Skoda stickers all over it too. THe medical car has to be a convertible so they can administer rolling repairs on the riders! The convertible is a VW Same here on the Vuelta, but they don’t seem to have the Skoda stickers.
Old 6 Sep 2023, 00:19 (Ref:4175340)   #1373
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
White on White

White on white is only missing the steer horns on the hood.
Old 6 Sep 2023, 11:37 (Ref:4175373)   #1374
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
The Nardi copy on the Méhari looks terrible. But, tbh, the original one looks even more terrible! And the body color…
Old 6 Sep 2023, 11:40 (Ref:4175375)   #1375
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
White on white is only missing the steer horns on the hood.
And a pimp at wheel…