Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 May 2015, 01:03 (Ref:3541621)   #1451
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
interesting observation, but now that you have said it I cant disagree.

Maybe neil doesnt like the inside info being shared
To me it sounded more so like Crompton (& many others besides) was working hard to make it all happen and was less than amused by Phelps' shallow understanding of approximately everything and apparent belief that all that had to happen was for someone to snap their fingers and the job was done.

Why don't you just have 800hp/soft tyres/200mph down conrod etc etc etc...
Old 27 May 2015, 01:07 (Ref:3541623)   #1452
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post
To me it sounded more so like Crompton (& many others besides) was working hard to make it all happen and was less than amused by Phelps' shallow understanding of approximately everything and apparent belief that all that had to happen was for someone to snap their fingers and the job was done.

if you read some of the posts on the v8 supercars web/FB site and same with speedcafe. Then they are good questions

I thought crompton seemed a bit like a deer in the headlights when Phelps pointed out he was on the commission. Maybe not expecting that. the news was happening in front of us
Old 27 May 2015, 02:11 (Ref:3541629)   #1453
djr81
Racer

Quote:
if you read some of the posts on the v8 supercars web/FB site and same with speedcafe. Then they are good questions

I thought crompton seemed a bit like a deer in the headlights when Phelps pointed out he was on the commission. Maybe not expecting that. the news was happening in front of us
I thought Crompton's answers were far better than the questions.

The way he patiently explained the cars were rev/gear ratio limited down conrod.
The effect increased lap speed/hp would have on circuit safety compliance.
The number of people involved in signing off on tyre changes.
The amount of goodwill there is towards making it happen from those parties etc etc.

There again I cant imagine a journalist of Phelps standing would need be bothered with such trivialities.
Old 27 May 2015, 03:19 (Ref:3541637)   #1454
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

If you took it from an uneducated fan's perspective, Mr Phelps was asking what many people have asked, and had to pull the answer into the world from the experts, on a public forum.

It informed the viewers, which is a good thing.

You could imagine Mr Ingall asking a question like that too, but perhaps not being criticised for making it.
Old 27 May 2015, 08:24 (Ref:3541666)   #1455
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I noticed the same about Crompton's responses, and Skaife's responses were similiar in the last few weeks.

To me the last few weeks have shown just how little James Phelps seems to understand about motor racing.... he's been covering the series long enough by now surely to know that it's not like rugby league, and you can't just change rules willy nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
If you took it from an uneducated fan's perspective, Mr Phelps was asking what many people have asked, and had to pull the answer into the world from the experts, on a public forum.
I can see what you mean, and its worth remembering i guess he writes for a newspaper, not for a dedicated racing paper. But is Inside Supercars aimed at uneducated fans?

Also i'm not really sure what his segment has brought to the program, all the 'breaking news' is generally stuff he's already had printed in that mornings paper...
Old 28 May 2015, 06:09 (Ref:3541981)   #1456
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
interesting observation, but now that you have said it I cant disagree.

Maybe neil doesnt like the inside info being shared
Its hardly inside info.

Come on! The show is a controlled environment by V8SC and Phelps is fed the information. Its been clear that he doesnt actually understand what he has been communicating.

The whole thing is a propaganda piece to try and be seen like the football codes.
Old 28 May 2015, 11:16 (Ref:3542043)   #1457
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Its hardly inside info.

Come on! The show is a controlled environment by V8SC and Phelps is fed the information. Its been clear that he doesnt actually understand what he has been communicating.

The whole thing is a propaganda piece to try and be seen like the football codes.
sure evidence?
Old 28 May 2015, 13:18 (Ref:3542074)   #1458
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Phelps performances on the show during the last month?

His articles that lack depth, analysis or any form of investigative journalism.

Do you think he generates his own topics and stories?

Surely you arent that naive he is driven and passionate about motorsport?
Old 28 May 2015, 21:48 (Ref:3542263)   #1459
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Phelps performances on the show during the last month?

His articles that lack depth, analysis or any form of investigative journalism.

Do you think he generates his own topics and stories?

Surely you arent that naive he is driven and passionate about motorsport?
thought Phelps shows more insight that many of the anti v8 posters on here

and much more insight than the comment you just provided
Old 28 May 2015, 23:12 (Ref:3542291)   #1460
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
thought Phelps shows more insight that many of the anti v8 posters on here and much more insight than the comment you just provided
Man you are just trollin. The guy is a puppet, and in my opinion shows a complete lack of awareness of the sport we watch.

I'm not a fan at all.
Old 28 May 2015, 23:47 (Ref:3542300)   #1461
redesp
Racer

Australia
Melbourne Australia...
redesp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand the point of view that Phelps is asking the obvious fan / website questions regarding V8 Supercars.

Both presenters are skilled in answering these types of questions and have done so repeatedly over the past years as part of panels and in general commentary.

But I feel the way the questions were answered both by Crompton and Skaife (in previous weeks) demonstrated a dislike of Phelps.

Still... i'd rather watch Phelps' scoops than Rianah's social media updates.

Only Milk and Juice should come in 2 litres... ;)
Old 29 May 2015, 00:02 (Ref:3542301)   #1462
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Man you are just trollin. The guy is a puppet, and in my opinion shows a complete lack of awareness of the sport we watch.

I'm not a fan at all.
No Trolls would people who come onto a v8 site and continually bag out what it does.

the guy shows more awareness than a lot of the trolling posters on here, the problem is he talks up the v8s and too many posters on here go on the attack when someone talks up the series because it doesnt fit their agenda or they are just trolling.

You can read this very thread to see who they are

However Inside Supercars is great watching, sort of like watching a football show on sunday mornings or Monday nights (or thursday nights). Just what the series needed
Old 29 May 2015, 00:12 (Ref:3542303)   #1463
redesp
Racer

Australia
Melbourne Australia...
Quote:
However Inside Supercars is great watching, sort of like watching a football show on sunday mornings or Monday nights (or thursday nights). Just what the series needed

Agree 100%... It seems like the format is developing too.
My missus used LOVE larko's technical info and discussion on the 7network.

I like the way they follow up on track issues (as per Davo and Tander) and get them head to head.
NOT as good as the Ingall-Skaife banter we used to have on the original v8 supercars panel show..

Old 29 May 2015, 00:19 (Ref:3542304)   #1464
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by redesp View Post
Agree 100%... It seems like the format is developing too.
My missus used LOVE larko's technical info and discussion on the 7network.

I like the way they follow up on track issues (as per Davo and Tander) and get them head to head.
NOT as good as the Ingall-Skaife banter we used to have on the original v8 supercars panel show..
We get ingall skaife during the telecast

I was harsh on skaife after the first show, but he has definately improved since then, needs to just not get caught up with little in jokes and conversations with the driver next to him
Old 29 May 2015, 00:26 (Ref:3542306)   #1465
djr81
Racer

Quote:
No Trolls would people who come onto a v8 site and continually bag out what it does.

the guy shows more awareness than a lot of the trolling posters on here, the problem is he talks up the v8s and too many posters on here go on the attack when someone talks up the series because it doesnt fit their agenda or they are just trolling.

You can read this very thread to see who they are

It's not trolling to disagree with the assertion that motorsport (or any other sport) needs to be dumbed down and generalised to allow the great unwashed to understand it. Quite the opposite. The best things on that show was Crompton's interview with Steve Hallam and his detailed explanations of why the cars are like they are.

Not to blow smoke up anyones ar$e but Crompton in the commentary box or on a panel is head and shoulders above any of the other muppets they have on there. He knows all of the participants - not just the drivers but the engineers, owners, the wag's, the sponsors... He knows the cars and the technology. I just think that segments about motorsport are head and shoulders above what ever is going on on someones twitter feed. He, Crompton, along with maybe Mark Larkham are the only ones who have ever appeared to be pushing to explain things properly.

Dumbing stuff down simply means broadcasters and journalists ignore the interesting bits.

Recently there was a really good piece on Pye and his recovery from an awful road car crash, his time in Europe and his family. Gave me much more respect for the bloke. The thing on Jamie Whincup going jet skiing with Will Davidson didn't.
Old 29 May 2015, 00:44 (Ref:3542311)   #1466
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
thought Phelps shows more insight that many of the anti v8 posters on here
Please tell us some examples of the insight he provided??
Old 29 May 2015, 01:02 (Ref:3542316)   #1467
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Please tell us some examples of the insight he provided??
already discussed
Old 29 May 2015, 01:05 (Ref:3542318)   #1468
redesp
Racer

Australia
Melbourne Australia...
Quote:
....The best things on that show was Crompton's interview with Steve Hallam and his detailed explanations of why the cars are like they are.

.....He knows all of the participants - not just the drivers but the engineers, owners, the wag's, the sponsors... He knows the cars and the technology. I just think that segments about motorsport are head and shoulders above what ever is going on on someones twitter feed. He, Crompton, along with maybe Mark Larkham are the only ones who have ever appeared to be pushing to explain things properly.

Recently there was a really good piece on Pye and his recovery from an awful road car crash, his time in Europe and his family. Gave me much more respect for the bloke. The thing on Jamie Whincup going jet skiing with Will Davidson didn't.

well said.. couldn't agree more

Old 29 May 2015, 02:13 (Ref:3542332)   #1469
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:

It informed the viewers, which is a good thing.
How many uneducated fan's are watching Inside Supercars? Actual race fans arent watching the broadcast and side shows.
Old 29 May 2015, 02:32 (Ref:3542334)   #1470
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
How many uneducated fan's are watching Inside Supercars? Actual race fans arent watching the broadcast and side shows.
By the very nature of what you said if race fans are not watching (extremely doubtful) then only uneducated fans will be watching.

And i think actual race fans are watching the broadcast and sideshows,
Old 29 May 2015, 02:43 (Ref:3542337)   #1471
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Based on what I've read on social media, ALOT of V8SC followers simply defy all logic and common sense with regards to some of their comments. So yes, continual education is required. Having said that, based on other comments, it seems the likes of Mr Crompton are way too much for some to comprehend what they're saying.

So simplifying yes, dumbing down no.
Old 29 May 2015, 02:53 (Ref:3542344)   #1472
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps the Inside V8Supercar show needs to take input from the (sensible) fans via Q&A, and explain bits and pieces of the sport to the great unwashed with a separate commentator, who goes and finds out the answers to these kinds of questions.

Might be a good training & development area for Ms Crehan...
Old 29 May 2015, 03:07 (Ref:3542346)   #1473
djr81
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Based on what I've read on social media, ALOT of V8SC followers simply defy all logic and common sense with regards to some of their comments. So yes, continual education is required. Having said that, based on other comments, it seems the likes of Mr Crompton are way too much for some to comprehend what they're saying.

So simplifying yes, dumbing down no.
To be fair if you look at any of the feedback on the news sites (Fairfax, Newscorp, abc etc) and the overwhelming majority of replies are enough to make you weep for humanity. They appear to defy logic all and common sense. So its not just a V8 thing or even a motorsport thing.
Old 29 May 2015, 03:09 (Ref:3542347)   #1474
djr81
Racer

Quote:
Perhaps the Inside V8Supercar show needs to take input from the (sensible) fans via Q&A, and explain bits and pieces of the sport to the great unwashed with a separate commentator, who goes and finds out the answers to these kinds of questions.

Might be a good training & development area for Ms Crehan...
You mean after training to string a coherent sentence together?

That aside what would be the kind of questions you have in mind?
Old 29 May 2015, 03:14 (Ref:3542349)   #1475
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
You mean after training to string a coherent sentence together?

That aside what would be the kind of questions you have in mind?
Explain the teev deal... and why it has happened.. make it absolutely clear it isnt being done to pish people off, instead to secure the survival of the teams.

Explain why the series wants to go into other markets. The real reasons, not the made up junk currently shared.

Talk about how the structure of V8SC works, how they take feedback loops from their constituents (owners, teams, technical partners, fans etc..)

The opportunities to share are limitless here... with the right presented.

Maybe Mr Denton can come do it..