Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 22 Feb 2011, 16:10 (Ref:2835249)   #126
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
He's not in mine either, but give him a car capable of winning the WDC and he should be able to get it somewhere in the top 5
Old 22 Feb 2011, 16:56 (Ref:2835265)   #127
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I wouldn't rule out a Webber championship in 2011. I don't believe that he is as good as Vettel, but he's close to enough to take advantage if Vettel falters or suffers serious misfortune.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 19:47 (Ref:2835321)   #128
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Not sure all the experts will go for a permutation of Webber/Vettel/Alonso. Webber's not in my top five!
Interesting. Care to share your top five or would that drag the thread in the wrong direction?

I can't give you a link to it, but there's an article by Adam Cooper on the subscription part of the Autosport site saying that, so far as one can judge, the Renault is looking pretty useful so far and could be up for race wins if not more. What a bizarre turnaround of fortune for Heidfeld, who certainly wouldn't be in my top five.

My reason for mentioning it is that you can talk about the relative merits of a top driver all day long but the advantage of the best car is still the finest thing to have. That's why you can't discount Webber this year, although I do think Vettel will be stronger than before and I tipped him to win the title last year!
Old 22 Feb 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2835324)   #129
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's put me on the spot!

This was for a random, prizeless prediction on another forum, and I think I went with...

Alonso
Vettel
Button
Hamilton
Heidfeld

Yes, Heidfeld is a (ridiculously) long shot, but I just have a feeling he might take this opportunity and surprise a number of people.

That prediction also has a few other quirks that really would drag this thread off topic, so I'll quit now.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2835329)   #130
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Very neatly done, but thank you.

I won't go into my top five except briefly to say that Vettel would be first and Webber wouldn't be last. Oh, and Alonso would be second.

McLaren do look to have a problem or two to solve, so I'm not sure where that leaves Button and especially Hamilton.
Old 23 Feb 2011, 00:46 (Ref:2835415)   #131
cmotd
Racer

Australia
cmotd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Red Bull better get Seb back in the car double quick, Mark can't seem to get anywhere near the fastest times
Seb's fast times came from qualifying simulations, of which Webber has done none so far. Though I don't expect Webz to be faster than Seb, he is a lot older after all. None of us can stop the march of time, our reflexes start deteriorating from the age of 22-23

Like last season Webz will have his moments and win a few, get a few poles on tracks he likes or when Seb or Alonso make mistakes. You can't expect more from an old fella, he did pretty well last year considering. if he hadn't made a few bad calls on his strategy he would have won the championship so I don't know how anyone can critisise his driving ability - unless they are just being blindly negative or have an axe to grind.

Us Aussies have abother Red Bull protege to pin our hopes for a championship on - one who unlike Webber will get a chance in a race winning car when he's at the right age to take full advantage of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
He whines like a f***** Diff. Last year more than most years. He is always bleating about something and was the catalyst to creating much of the team unrest (along with Marko I will agree)
With all respects he is hardly the most team orientated driver on the grid.
That is complete and utter rubbish. "Always bleating about something" is a riduculous and completely unsubstatiated exaggeration. What is the name of this fairy tale land you live in? In the real world Webber made what you would define as "bleating" comments after two of the races. How does that constitutes "Always"? If you dislike someone just say so, don't use gross exaggeration and lies to try and make a point
Old 23 Feb 2011, 14:56 (Ref:2835673)   #132
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotd View Post

so I don't know how anyone can critisise his driving ability - unless they are just being blindly negative or have an axe to grind.
From what i've read in any of the Vet vs Web thread's, no one has critisised his ability, it's just that some don't think he's as good as others do.
Old 23 Feb 2011, 15:12 (Ref:2835682)   #133
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post

McLaren do look to have a problem or two to solve, so I'm not sure where that leaves Button and especially Hamilton.
One seemed to be fairly happy with his long run pace in testing and the other wasn't happy at all. No prizes for guessing which is which.

Red Bull didn't really mention having any tyre problems at all, although I would doubt that they are as happy with the Pirelli tyres as they were with the Bridgestones. All of which makes data collecting all the more difficult to decipher. It's so much easier to do when you have a tyre that doesn't change its characteristics too much from the beginning of a stint until the end.

Still, from what most can tell, Vettel and Webber are definitely in with a shout this season. And thinking back to events in Monaco 09, I think that I might favour one more than the other.
Old 23 Feb 2011, 15:29 (Ref:2835689)   #134
Mr V
Veteran

England
What happened in Monaco 09?
Old 23 Feb 2011, 15:56 (Ref:2835711)   #135
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
What happened in Monaco 09?
Vettel's super-soft tyres fell to pieces eventually resulting in a crash early in the race. Webber, however, did a competitive 22 lap stint on the same tyre. These were Bridgestone's 'conservative' items....

Webber also triumphed over Vettel at Monaco in 2010.
Old 23 Feb 2011, 18:11 (Ref:2835779)   #136
Mr V
Veteran

England
I don't see the same thing happening again for Vettel with regards to the tyres.
Old 26 Feb 2011, 04:29 (Ref:2837058)   #137
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well as soon as I posted what I did Webber goes and gets a bunch of test days

Work just grabbed me some Aussie GP tickets...so cant wait for kick off ... please let Webber at least win one home GP
Old 26 Feb 2011, 06:10 (Ref:2837065)   #138
Mr V
Veteran

England
Lucky have a great time
Old 26 Feb 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2837170)   #139
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
Well as soon as I posted what I did Webber goes and gets a bunch of test days

Work just grabbed me some Aussie GP tickets...so cant wait for kick off ... please let Webber at least win one home GP
Nice ! Have a good time there !
Old 26 Feb 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2837298)   #140
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
Work just grabbed me some Aussie GP tickets...
LOL, that's nowt. Someone sold me a pair of Bahrain GP tickets for just £30 each today. Bargain!
Old 26 Feb 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2837304)   #141
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
LOL, that's nowt. Someone sold me a pair of Bahrain GP tickets for just £30 each today. Bargain!

And you bought them? We need to have a meeting...
Old 26 Feb 2011, 23:04 (Ref:2837322)   #142
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I wouldn't rule out a Webber championship in 2011. I don't believe that he is as good as Vettel, but he's close to enough to take advantage if Vettel falters or suffers serious misfortune.
You're right, he's not as good as Vettel & the main reason is he has never learnt the 'art' of winning a championship, in any category, not even Karting! Winning F1 races is one thing but putting an entire season together & coming out on top is bigger still, as 2010 proved.....

Most, if not all previous world champs would've learnt this mind set from titles won earlier in their careers & considered it a vital step, which then becomes a vital weapon in their arsenal.

It's clear Vettel is Red Bull's (sponsor & team) favourite, but there are very good reasons why, he already knew how to win championships.

Old 26 Feb 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2837331)   #143
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Webber is every bit as good as Vettel, otherwise he would not be there..Webber will win this year!
Old 27 Feb 2011, 19:27 (Ref:2837568)   #144
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Webber is every bit as good as Vettel, otherwise he would not be there..Webber will win this year!
If i said....

Massa is every bit as good as Alonso, otherwise he would not be there..Massa will win this year!

Would you believe it?
Old 27 Feb 2011, 19:58 (Ref:2837585)   #145
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Massa is there because Ferrari like it that way. Even now team orders are legal again, it's still going to save a lot of hassle.

Somehow I can't see Webber agreeing to move over for Vettel only 8 or 9 races into the season, no matter how many points he is behind the German.
Old 27 Feb 2011, 20:25 (Ref:2837605)   #146
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
If i said....

Massa is every bit as good as Alonso, otherwise he would not be there..Massa will win this year!

Would you believe it?

Smarty pants! Very good though, and no I would not..
Old 27 Feb 2011, 21:13 (Ref:2837628)   #147
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I know it is viewing the world with blinkers on but you think about Monaco 2009, Canada 2010 when the tyres were a big variable and Webber may have just been able to turn Vettels small advantage on its head.

So with tyres looking like being a big vairable lets hope that it means Vettels 0.1sec speed advantage in qualifying will not mean a parade to the finish line.

So many things to look forward to this season...
Old 28 Feb 2011, 08:54 (Ref:2837831)   #148
Mr V
Veteran

England
Interesting, lets wait and see which is quickest.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 14:54 (Ref:2837974)   #149
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Personally I see the gap between Vettel and Webber's performances widening this year. Just a hunch. But one I am reasonably confident of.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 15:27 (Ref:2837984)   #150
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Personally I see the gap between Vettel and Webber's performances widening this year. Just a hunch. But one I am reasonably confident of.
Same as that!

That's what i think personally, but will interesting to see how it pan's out. I can only see Seb gaining pace and confidence and Mark realising that he's number 2 to Seb, but lets see