Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 24 Jun 2004, 11:49 (Ref:1014453)   #126
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, I've said my piece and done with it, but agree with both Ker and Mal. I'm still to be persuaded that we're in any kind of major decline. I know I view Le Mans through rose-tinted specs and others don't necessarily share that view, and who knows, maybe Cy will be right and the Le Mans fanatics like me will be crying into our champagne in a few years time. Maybe.......
Old 24 Jun 2004, 11:50 (Ref:1014455)   #127
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No one in sports cars has had his face on every international newspaper with the caption "A DISGRACE TO [SPORTS CAR RACING]" underneath it -- and continued to be hailed as the only person who ever won a race in the sport, ever in living memory. That's what BernieNMax did for F1 and I say to hell with that. Leave Le Mans the way it is.

When Bobby Orr limped off to Chicago from Boston, millions of hockey fans cried "How will Boston ever win a game again without The Great Orr?" (Their game had mutated into one rule -- Pass To Orr). Well to the amazement of not a few, Boston became a BETTER team when they had to wake up and realize that now it was a competition they had to deal with as a team.

If the factory marques leave, the privateers will realize that now it's up to them to provide the show and they will give us a rouser. Believe it or not, racing is not ALL about huge amounts of cash from giant corporations. There's plenty of good racing to watch no matter how much the guys have to spend. And with room for all the cars who want to attend, sports cars give hope to all that one day ...

P.S. About the many and varied sponsors on the Group C cars -- they have all been deleted from modern cars due to the Marching Mommies so that toddlers will not glimpse them and rush straight to damnation. This is a problem of society, nothing else.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 11:50 (Ref:1014456)   #128
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Well, I've said my piece and done with it, but agree with both Ker and Mal.

And now Nordic....
Old 24 Jun 2004, 12:14 (Ref:1014499)   #129
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Part of LeMans has alway been the David & Goliath struggle of the privateers against the factories and every once in a while a 'David' does realise that dream. LeMans is as strong as ever as an 'event' you only had to be there to realise that.

Interestingly I noticed a lot more women and young people in the campsite this year.

Also in 30 years time the Audi will probably be hailed as one of the greatest sportscar of all time. Just as the GT40 is today even though that was the 'Goliath' of Ford steamrolling the 'David' of Ferrari - how times change!
Old 24 Jun 2004, 13:17 (Ref:1014591)   #130
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree that Le Mans is cyclical in nature. We're complaining (it seems) about the future of the race on present form and yet look at 1992 for example. 29 qualifiers, not all of whom made the start, a Peugeot win by 6 laps, RAIN....

And yet, three years later the various McLarens were giving us a race all over again before the glory days of GT1 which ultimately brings us to the Audis.

We'll find new things to cheer for in the race.

As for the origin of the thread, I have to say I enjoy far more about the venue than I dislike. The loos I can tolerate, and the money spent is a gratuity after all - if the service is shabby don't pay it. Onsite catering seemed fine to me, and infinitely superior to the British standard of "buuuurger" or for variety "cheezbuuurger". Shuttle buses could get one most places (there are, after all, practical reasons why they try to deter people from visiting the Mulsanne Straight) - although I would have appreciated said buses running before the start of the race too.

Would have appreciated more variety of memorabilia vendors perhaps - only two booksellers and six different stands selling the same IXO models gets a little frustrating when looking for that elusive Provence Moulage kit, but I guess I'll have more luck at the LM Classic.

One thing the organisers have no control over - the last two years I have felt have become beerier and more loutish in the village area. I have to say I don't like that and it makes me want to spend more time out in the wilds of the circuit. If Rodney from Tamworth really wants to sit paralytic in a pool of his own creation, I wish he'd do it in Tamworth rather than outside the ACO building on race Saturday evening...
Old 24 Jun 2004, 14:33 (Ref:1014648)   #131
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
One thing the organisers have no control over - the last two years I have felt have become beerier and more loutish in the village area.
Ah, now the true legacy of Bentley reveals itself.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 24 Jun 2004, 14:40 (Ref:1014653)   #132
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Naah - they'd not have come this year if that were the case. Must be Audi customers...
Old 24 Jun 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1014713)   #133
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD

One thing the organisers have no control over - the last two years I have felt have become beerier and more loutish in the village area. I have to say I don't like that and it makes me want to spend more time out in the wilds of the circuit. If Rodney from Tamworth really wants to sit paralytic in a pool of his own creation, I wish he'd do it in Tamworth rather than outside the ACO building on race Saturday evening...

With you all the way there Tim. Apparently, the human skittles contest at the shampoo bar on Saturday was another good example. There were certainly some very unwell people there - and, surprise surprise, they were all Brits........

(all called Rodney as well, I suppose....... )
Old 24 Jun 2004, 15:33 (Ref:1014723)   #134
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Wout
Is a LMP2 cheaper to run than a GTS?
I think so, but, beyond the price, you've more chances to get the chequered flag nowadays...
Old 24 Jun 2004, 16:03 (Ref:1014753)   #135
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
It is still the most important event in a sport that is becoming less important every year
I have to admit I've got nothing to say for LM... more, there's a place for other - main - events. It LM has to become a secondary event, it will. I don't go to LM because it's an important event : I go to LM because I love it.

Quote:
But, if you say everything is fine then I am confident you are right.
I'll never be satisfied with LM, because I want too much, and more each year ! It's never fine... but I'm not objective at all...

Quote:
I am worried about where LM is headed but then, I guess I'm just not a sportscar fan, right.
ROFL !
Old 25 Jun 2004, 13:06 (Ref:1015865)   #136
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
1. The toilets and showers at Houx Annex DID charge 2 euros per trip, and don't try to get away without paying. They were VERY insistent that you pay up right away.
Help is at hand (so to speak) for all the ladies at LM. She pees, whiz's & go bags
These nifty ideas should double the amount of loos for the ladies
Old 25 Jun 2004, 14:20 (Ref:1015935)   #137
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
I'm gonna be sick...

Last edited by Fab; 25 Jun 2004 at 14:21.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 15:44 (Ref:1016033)   #138
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
She pees, whiz's & go bags
Old 27 Jun 2004, 23:22 (Ref:1018220)   #139
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Re: The Le Mans experience

Quote:
Originally posted by wyzard
I went to le mans for the first time ever this weekend and it will be the last time ever!

Well never mind, dear. No doubt you have better things to do, which are better value for money.
Do let us know.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 09:16 (Ref:1018481)   #140
clkgtrlm1
Rookie

England
Woodstock, Oxford, England
clkgtrlm1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said Kpy - and all that needs to be said.

LM would not be the same without these (flaws!?!)ney, quirks.
Maybe Bernie and Max could organise a bigger, better more sterile event - but at what cost.
For all their misgivings, the ACO do an incredible job on a relative small budget - they can not sort everything at once.

But could you imagine any other motoring organisation running a similar event? The AA or RAC in the UK ? Never gonna happen, never gonna happen!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 07:21 (Ref:1019758)   #141
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Just leave those that love it the way it is to do so. There's plenty that could be changed, but sometimes its better the devil you know......
Old 29 Jun 2004, 08:25 (Ref:1019796)   #142
hooked
Rookie

England
Sussex, UK
hooked should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rookie

Finally managed to get to Le Mans this year since wanting to go since seeing a GT40 in a local Ford garage when I was a sprog. Despite my advanced years I loved every minute. I was the oldest of about 10 vets. and 5 rookies who I went with. Camp was great, atmosphere excellent, value for money excellent, ((especially compared to F1)( BTCC general ticket at Brands was £25 this year). I expected crowds and stretched facilities. The toilets / showers were OK and empty at 5 a.m.. Walking round the circuit takes time but it is a long circuit, and you are never that far from the sound of those engines. Next year an old bicycle goes with me.
I still get a buzz just thinking about the start and I have managed to get my son and daughter interested in next year. I have already started to make arrangements for myself and hope to become a regular from now on.
I went with an open mind, some preparation, a love of cars and had the best 6 days of my life. Possibly a motorhome, chauffeur and chef would be the best way to do the race but I think it could detract from the whole experience. I am just surprised a motorsport enthusiast was disappointed!!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 08:50 (Ref:1019813)   #143
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
right on!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 10:57 (Ref:1019897)   #144
chocmonster7
Racer

United Kingdom
Darlington
chocmonster7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Help is at hand (so to speak) for all the ladies at LM. She pees, whiz's & go bags
These nifty ideas should double the amount of loos for the ladies
Thanks but no thanks! Think I'd rather take my chances with the dogdy toilets already on offer!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 13:10 (Ref:1020098)   #145
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Re: Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by hooked
Finally managed to get to Le Mans this year since wanting to go since seeing a GT40 in a local Ford garage when I was a sprog. Despite my advanced years I loved every minute. I was the oldest of about 10 vets. and 5 rookies who I went with. Camp was great, atmosphere excellent, value for money excellent, ((especially compared to F1)( BTCC general ticket at Brands was £25 this year). I expected crowds and stretched facilities. The toilets / showers were OK and empty at 5 a.m.. Walking round the circuit takes time but it is a long circuit, and you are never that far from the sound of those engines. Next year an old bicycle goes with me.
I still get a buzz just thinking about the start and I have managed to get my son and daughter interested in next year. I have already started to make arrangements for myself and hope to become a regular from now on.
I went with an open mind, some preparation, a love of cars and had the best 6 days of my life. Possibly a motorhome, chauffeur and chef would be the best way to do the race but I think it could detract from the whole experience. I am just surprised a motorsport enthusiast was disappointed!!

Now that's more like the reaction I've come to expect from a Le Mans newbie......

Welcome to the forum!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 16:02 (Ref:1020249)   #146
Bottle
Rookie

Bottle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was our 7th trip to Le Mans, and the most enjoyable of the lot. This year we made it down in time for the drivers' parade, and loved the atmosphere in town. The campsite was also buzzing on the Friday, and the Danes next to us giving us alcohol to make up for shooting fireworks in our direction (!). The racing was great for the most part - nice to see Audis in different teams able to race, and the GTS race also well fought. The only thing that went wrong was that my seat in the ACO stand did not exist! But the chair from the office I was given to go in the gap between 161 and 163 was much more comfortable!
Can't wait till next year - but I guess I'll have to.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 22:40 (Ref:1020814)   #147
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Just watched the Motors TV programme on the 24 Hours - oh what memories!!!! Even caught myself twice in the footage, once in scrutineering with Team veloqx and again on post with the cars coming past.

Can't wait for June 2005 to come around again!

Steve
Old 30 Jun 2004, 07:26 (Ref:1021042)   #148
hooked
Rookie

England
Sussex, UK
hooked should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve
not bad coverage reinforces great memories. Can't compare with real thing

Hooked
Old 4 Jul 2004, 00:25 (Ref:1025283)   #149
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the review on Motors TV too, it reminded me of the race review DVDs I've bought for the past few years - same commentator, music and duration. Hmmmm...

Anyway for those interested, the review DVD is due for release on the 23rd of August. www.dukevideo.com
Old 5 Jul 2004, 12:20 (Ref:1026628)   #150
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I guess I'll be buying it - just as I do every year, but I still yearn for the old Sportseen RLM vids with the RLM commentary. Added on commentary always sounds dreadful to me these days......