Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Nov 2009, 20:21 (Ref:2584473)   #151
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
"Flexible approach" means that you may have to do a 'shift' in the toaster department to help with the cash flow.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 20:25 (Ref:2584479)   #152
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Not too many are going to want to 'up-sticks', and go live in the US.
Why not? I find it a great place to live!

With staff reductions in the existing teams, I don't see why some would not consider the move?
Old 18 Nov 2009, 20:32 (Ref:2584482)   #153
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

With staff reductions in the existing teams, I don't see why some would not consider the move?
I suppose so, but then there's the question: How long will this team survive?
Old 19 Nov 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2585036)   #154
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All this situation is very confusing, the team should be doing crash tests by now but they're opening vacancies for a whole F1 team structure.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 13:28 (Ref:2585051)   #155
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Maybe they'll buy the Toyota left-overs.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 22:40 (Ref:2585403)   #156
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A good start then...
Old 19 Nov 2009, 23:08 (Ref:2585424)   #157
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Valles was pretty average in GP2, though. I don't rate him. Might have got a chance had Epsilon Euskadi got in as he's close to them, though
There's not much anyone could have done with that BCN car. Is he a superstar? Not really, but he's much, much better than he's shown in GP2. Not that he should get the nod before Adam Carroll, though.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 00:07 (Ref:2585455)   #158
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm, but don't you think there are more deserving drivers than both Valles and Carroll out there? As much as I'd like to see new blood coming in, I'd say guys like Klien, Sato, Davidson and now Kobayashi, who got a raw deal in F1, deserve to be ahead in the pecking order
Old 20 Nov 2009, 00:37 (Ref:2585466)   #159
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Hmm, but don't you think there are more deserving drivers than both Valles and Carroll out there? As much as I'd like to see new blood coming in, I'd say guys like Klien, Sato, Davidson and now Kobayashi, who got a raw deal in F1, deserve to be ahead in the pecking order
Sorry to disagree, but why exactly do Klien, Sato and Davidson deserve to be ahead of Carroll et al?
Didn't those 3 have their chance? And obviously they didn't impress enough for anyone else to want them (so far).

Fresh meat please.

Last edited by Hawkwood; 20 Nov 2009 at 00:52.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 00:44 (Ref:2585469)   #160
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kobayashi has driven in an F1 race scored points on merit and beat a veteran though.

Carroll - who knows could be a Hamilton, could be a Pizzonia?

Kobayashi the safer bet.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 00:54 (Ref:2585478)   #161
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah I know, out of those 6 drivers I'd take Kobayashi, I was saying that Sato, Davidson and Klien have had their chance and didn't impress enough.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 01:06 (Ref:2585491)   #162
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
Sorry to disagree, but why exactly do Klien, Sato and Davidson deserve to be ahead of Carroll et al?
Didn't those 3 have their chance? And obviously they didn't impress enough for anyone else to want them (so far).

Fresh meat please.
I'll go through each individually

Klien - He got messed around at Red Bull despite showing good pace at times, and got a raw deal from the media which led to him getting a possibly harsh reputation. He deserves another chance to show what he can do now that he's had a few years testing building up his mileage

Sato - One of the most underrated drivers in recent years. Yes, he was absolutely dreadful in 2005 and deserved to get the boot, but ignoring that, he has always been quick and aggressive, willing to attempt some ballsy overtaking moves. He's great entertainment. And he matured a hell of a lot at Super Aguri - having a couple of years out of the spotlight allowed him time to settle down in F1, something he never really got at Jordan and BAR imo

Davidson - As many know, I'm not a huge Ant fan but he's one of the most experienced drivers on the grid in terms of F1 mileage. He would be absolutely ideal for a new team that doesn't necessarily need a quick guy but wants experience. Plus, yes, like Sato, Super Aguri wasn't an ideal situation. However, ultimately I want him and Crofty to do the TV commentary...

As for Adam Carroll, although he's shown potential at times and did well to win a few races in GP2, I tend to think he's nothing out of the ordinary. Justifying inclusion by an A1 GP title win isn't enough, because A1 GP is an average series. He had a BAR/Honda testing deal and they let him go because they didn't want to know. That's why I'd take Davidson over him, for a start - because the BAR/Honda/Brawn/Mercedes team already have, and they know what they're doing (as they showed this year)

If I was starting up a new team right now, with the current choice of available drivers, I'd go for a line-up of Sato and Davidson. Both have worked together at Aguri and get along well, both have their experienced of an upstart team to bring with them, both have the experience, and you have a mixture - the aggression of Taku and the solid Ant
Old 20 Nov 2009, 01:44 (Ref:2585503)   #163
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Well yeah ok, I'll go along with what you say about Taku, but I just can't agree about the other two - for one of the new teams they probably would be good to have, but if it was me choosing I would have Davidson as a tester no problem, but neither of them racing.
I think around half of the current grid and these 'extra' guys could be replaced by drivers from GP2 and elsewhere and there'd be no overall difference.

We're just going to have to disagree on this one.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 04:55 (Ref:2585538)   #164
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
I think around half of the current grid and these 'extra' guys could be replaced by drivers from GP2 and elsewhere and there'd be no overall difference.
i think that's a gross underestimation of the current standard of f1 drivers. They really commit very few mistakes compared to a gp2 driver.

however, on the other hand, some guys like buemi, kobayashi can seem rather ordinary in gp2 terms, and then really awaken to the standard once they're planted in f1.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 05:37 (Ref:2585547)   #165
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fresh blood please. Some drivers are/ were highly overrated (Sutil, Fisichella, Trulli, Heidfeld) where others never got a (real) chance. There are a lot of good drivers out there that won't do worse than, say, Grosjean or Alguersuari.

Having the ability to fight your way forward or saving fuel may become a more desirable trait to have than to just go fast.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2585571)   #166
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting news from a reliable source of mine: Campos have successfully passed the crash tests, first of the whole F1 circus.
Not bad at all
Old 20 Nov 2009, 11:08 (Ref:2585695)   #167
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

That's good news.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 13:38 (Ref:2585801)   #168
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Especially if you have a crash!
Old 20 Nov 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2585878)   #169
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Crash is business, business is good.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 17:25 (Ref:2585941)   #170
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't claim any real knowledge of the guy but wasn't Davison the third driver for sombody when they were allowed to have 3 on Fridays and often near the top of the list?
Old 20 Nov 2009, 17:32 (Ref:2585945)   #171
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, BAR.
Old 21 Nov 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2586397)   #172
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As for Adam Carroll, although he's shown potential at times and did well to win a few races in GP2, I tend to think he's nothing out of the ordinary. Justifying inclusion by an A1 GP title win isn't enough, because A1 GP is an average series. He had a BAR/Honda testing deal and they let him go because they didn't want to know.
I thought he left BAR rather than them dropping him?

Either way I think he deserves a chance even as a third driver somewhere (Manor?) next year
Old 24 Nov 2009, 10:25 (Ref:2588328)   #173
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb View Post
Interesting news from a reliable source of mine: Campos have successfully passed the crash tests, first of the whole F1 circus.
Not bad at all
They have now got complete homologation

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80325
Old 24 Nov 2009, 15:38 (Ref:2588467)   #174
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I'm quite curious about when the others will accomplish it all
Old 24 Nov 2009, 18:42 (Ref:2588578)   #175
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb View Post
Yes, I'm quite curious about when the others will accomplish it all
USF1 is reportedly planning to do FIA crash test of nose and tail sections in late Dec/early Jan. Not sure if the "nose" crash testing includes cockpit or not. I am assuming these tests are scheduled somewhat in advance.

Congrats to Campos (cockpit homolgated). Can anyone speak to what all needs to be crash tested, what needs to be homologated and how the basic homologation process works for a F1 roller?