Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Sep 2023, 17:41 (Ref:4177710)   #151
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Multi-year deal for Bristol Street Motors to continue with Excerl8, great to see.

https://bit.ly/3PLK3xz
Ronan Pearson has some news on Friday I think. Perhaps confirmation of an extension of his deal with Macklin Motors given the Bristol Street story.
Old 21 Sep 2023, 17:46 (Ref:4177711)   #152
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
Are none of the Chilton boys into racing?
Think that was discussed on TinTopTuesday a while ago and seems like they’re not.

Others might also question Chilton as a “current top line” driver in recent years!

Think Turkington and himself would be the only two with children old enough to be in anything more than karts?
Old 21 Sep 2023, 20:55 (Ref:4177718)   #153
Matt_123
Rookie

Matt_123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourMirrors45 View Post
Word on the streets is that a “current top line” BTCC driver is contemplating retiring at the end of the season to focus on his sons racing career. Can only assume this to be Turkington. Unless Ash is starting his little one off ridiculously early…
Surprised he is planning to retire when he and BMW are so close to a record championship number 5
Old 21 Sep 2023, 21:01 (Ref:4177720)   #154
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Wouldn’t surprise me - if there’s still 4 seats across BMW next year, I’m assuming they’re going to want a big name driver to fill that seat then. Counting Hill as part of MB, I don’t think Morgan or Jelley is the #1 driver they want / need.
Story over here is an Irish driver is WSR bound
Old 21 Sep 2023, 21:11 (Ref:4177721)   #155
Matt_123
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
ATS?
Old 21 Sep 2023, 21:17 (Ref:4177722)   #156
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Watson given the MB connection?
Old 21 Sep 2023, 21:46 (Ref:4177729)   #157
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_123 View Post
Surprised he is planning to retire when he and BMW are so close to a record championship number 5
Are they? He's almost 100 points of the championship lead this season. The last couple of seasons he's been comfortably beaten by a team-mate for the first time since he established himself as a genuine title-contender back in 2006 when he returned to WSR. He's got two kids, both of whom are karting at some level and they've probably started to become more of his focus. He's also 41 now, whilst not ancient in BTCC terms, and there have been several champions older than that, he is one of the older drivers on the grid.
Old 21 Sep 2023, 22:22 (Ref:4177735)   #158
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_123 View Post
Wasn't Turks a bit late on announcement for this year because of difficulty finding budget?
I'm sure there was something about it being a subsidised drive so a part budget was required.

Also heard that Morgan will be stepping back at the end of next year when his 2 year contract is up.
Old 22 Sep 2023, 07:14 (Ref:4177751)   #159
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If we are to believe those rumours then it must be Turkington. Would be sad to see him go but that'd be a perfectly understandable decision. He's not that old for the BTCC standards but at the same time he's had such an illustrious career that he doesn't need to prove anything and would have a luxury of going on his own terms as a still top driver with a chance to focus on other things in life while he's still relatively young. Still hoping to see him stay for one or two years more but yeah, if it's true, I can understand that.
As for his chances for the fifth title, well, actually I'd bet he'll never make it. Although still competitive he's no longer (or at least hasn't been recently) this competitive to win with the new stars of the championship. With every year passing this would become even more difficult.
Old 22 Sep 2023, 07:49 (Ref:4177755)   #160
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
If we are to believe those rumours then it must be Turkington. Would be sad to see him go but that'd be a perfectly understandable decision. He's not that old for the BTCC standards but at the same time he's had such an illustrious career that he doesn't need to prove anything and would have a luxury of going on his own terms as a still top driver with a chance to focus on other things in life while he's still relatively young. Still hoping to see him stay for one or two years more but yeah, if it's true, I can understand that.
As for his chances for the fifth title, well, actually I'd bet he'll never make it. Although still competitive he's no longer (or at least hasn't been recently) this competitive to win with the new stars of the championship. With every year passing this would become even more difficult.
Out of interest how would he earn a crust? Does he have a trade?
Old 22 Sep 2023, 08:22 (Ref:4177758)   #161
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
One option might be with the family business?

https://turkington-construction.com/about/meet-team
Old 22 Sep 2023, 08:46 (Ref:4177759)   #162
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
Also heard that Morgan will be stepping back at the end of next year when his 2 year contract is up.
Interesting. I wonder how much longer Jelley will be around for too, doesn’t seem to have much luck.

So sounds like WSR will need to be on the lookout for another championship contending driver soon. Huff could be a good fit if he wants a BTCC drive, obviously coming down to money. Perhaps Cammish, he looks happy and locked in at Napa for now but surely would be tempted by RWD machinery and not having such a hard teammate to beat!

If One can’t bring a championship-winning car then maybe Cook could be tempted, or even Ricky Collard would be strongly linked through his father.

Of course, we don’t actually know for sure anyone is making way yet!
Old 22 Sep 2023, 09:04 (Ref:4177760)   #163
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If he really is contemplating retirement then I'm pretty sure he knows answer to your question better than anyone of us do, don't you think so?
Personally, I have no idea but as crmalcolm points out there seems to be some business he might perhaps get involved with.
Old 22 Sep 2023, 11:24 (Ref:4177776)   #164
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Interesting. I wonder how much longer Jelley will be around for too, doesn’t seem to have much luck.

So sounds like WSR will need to be on the lookout for another championship contending driver soon. Huff could be a good fit if he wants a BTCC drive, obviously coming down to money. Perhaps Cammish, he looks happy and locked in at Napa for now but surely would be tempted by RWD machinery and not having such a hard teammate to beat!

If One can’t bring a championship-winning car then maybe Cook could be tempted, or even Ricky Collard would be strongly linked through his father.

Of course, we don’t actually know for sure anyone is making way yet!
Cammish gets a salary. WSR drivers bring budget.
Old 22 Sep 2023, 13:20 (Ref:4177795)   #165
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
If he really is contemplating retirement then I'm pretty sure he knows answer to your question better than anyone of us do, don't you think so?
Personally, I have no idea but as crmalcolm points out there seems to be some business he might perhaps get involved with.
Easy pal was just curious what a retired Racing driver does that’s all
Old 22 Sep 2023, 13:59 (Ref:4177801)   #166
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah I know, I'm curious too especially with the BTCC drivers - in many 'bigger' racing series they can more 'easily' be some sort of ambassadors, get involved with teams, manufacturers or even the championship's structures. In the BTCC that's out of question sadly.
Old 22 Sep 2023, 17:20 (Ref:4177834)   #167
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ask his brother James - I'm sure he wanted the BTCC after TCR but couldn't get the money so went and trained to be a surveyor or something. And Henry Neal who he raced that year (again missing the BTCC when Honda pulled funding) went off to be a tree surgeon.

Not too late for Colin to learn something.
Then again, if the lad is a quality racer there's a management salary to be had!

Then again, might just fancy going on the dole ;-)
Old 22 Sep 2023, 17:21 (Ref:4177835)   #168
Evantra
Veteran

England
https://www.btcc.net/2023/09/22/rona...-excelr8-deal/

2 year deal for Pearson at Excerl8. Great news to see that commitment made to a deserving rookie.
Old 22 Sep 2023, 17:53 (Ref:4177836)   #169
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
https://www.btcc.net/2023/09/22/rona...-excelr8-deal/

2 year deal for Pearson at Excerl8. Great news to see that commitment made to a deserving rookie.
Absolutely. His pace has improved as the season has gone on and he has demonstrated that he is a team player by helping Ingram at Knockhill.
Old 22 Sep 2023, 18:26 (Ref:4177838)   #170
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
One option might be with the family business?

https://turkington-construction.com/about/meet-team
Big brother Gary runs that now. Colin's now living in England and his focus is on the kids now. I'm sure he'll survive.
Old 22 Sep 2023, 22:18 (Ref:4177856)   #171
Adamcas87
Racer

England
Old hairpin
Adamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAdamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Watson given the MB connection?
Might not be a bad shout as Hill has expressed his interest in GT3 Racing maybe as early as next year
Old 23 Sep 2023, 15:06 (Ref:4177916)   #172
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Harvey mentioned during qualifying Exceler8 are looking at running more cars next year “up to 6”.
Old 23 Sep 2023, 15:49 (Ref:4177920)   #173
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Harvey mentioned during qualifying Exceler8 are looking at running more cars next year “up to 6”.
HARD disease is contagious
Old 23 Sep 2023, 19:22 (Ref:4177934)   #174
Ant25
Racer

Ant25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
I think 6 cars is to much should be a limit on teams to have no more then 3 or 4 more cars in my opinion
Old 23 Sep 2023, 20:12 (Ref:4177938)   #175
Matt_123
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant25 View Post
I think 6 cars is to much should be a limit on teams to have no more then 3 or 4 more cars in my opinion
swear there was a rule saying you can only run up to 4 cars. thought they still had that before Hard brought 6 cupras