Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Aug 2009, 16:34 (Ref:2521446)   #151
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Bit left field but why not have a races during the night and the fun fair and bars going all through the night like Le Mans... combined with the concerts it would keep people on sight
It would be a nice to have but even with free tickets given to locals I suspect there would be a problem on the noise front. Silverstone is already pushing it with more and more noise at the circuit resulting from evening events such as track days. I was even badgered by locals who know I race on the Sunday of this year's Classic because they didn't like what I love to hear. I am afraid these people can upset all our best intentions.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 20:15 (Ref:2521564)   #152
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Forget vintage motorbikes if you are worried about noise, they seriously are the most ear splitting painful noise I have ever heard at a club meeting far noisier than the cars and at the meeting I was at they slung out a beautiful Lola T70 for noise despite extensive silencing which I was hoping to see in the race but was denied and trust me I know what I would rather listen to.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 08:55 (Ref:2521733)   #153
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Forget vintage motorbikes if you are worried about noise, they seriously are the most ear splitting painful noise I have ever heard at a club meeting far noisier than the cars and at the meeting I was at they slung out a beautiful Lola T70 for noise despite extensive silencing which I was hoping to see in the race but was denied and trust me I know what I would rather listen to.
It would appear the 'NOISE' problem is rearing it's ugly head in more than one thread/posting. Silverstone [village] enjoys some income from the circuits activities, but not all residents profit from it. Maybe a survey of residents to expose those who are not impressed by noise, and if against, the length of time they have been a resident might help. I am amused by the fact the HSCC have a policy of silenced cars run meetings jointly with other organisations who do not. I suppose half a noise is better than a whole noise.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 09:24 (Ref:2521745)   #154
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
You are tinkering with your own pet ideas.None put an extra person through the turnstiles.
How do you make the meeting profitable and it needs an idea outside the box.An open wheeler race inc F2,I would think it great,but how many more tickets sold,none, and I question getting a full grid.
Its backsides on seats
The event can be split into 3 parts. The organisation, the racing and the peripherals.
1.The most important requirement of any commercial organiser is that the participants, be they exhibitors, competitors or spectators have confidence in them. Confidence that they are capable of running an event, that the event they do run will be up to standard, that the event will be worth the money. There was a point earlier in the year that the lack of transparency as to who was doing what and with whom lead me to lose all confidence and consequently cancelled all our hospitality arrangements sure in the knowledge the whole thing was going to be a bloody shambles and not worthy of our potential guests. Now I will be the first to admit I was premature in making that particular decision. However it was based on my perception of the situation at the time. There was no possibility whatsoever that we would commit the hospitality budget to what was apparent at the time the decision had to be made. Hopefully now a lot of the uncertainty has been removed the event will get off to a better start in 2010. The two things that would concern me most were I the organisers would be firstly the proximity of the Le Mans Classic. Secondly the need to bring all the action dates, particularly communication deadlines, forward by at least ten days.
2. Get the racing right and the crowds will follow. There are as many views on the correct type of cars forming grids, as there are people interested in historic motor racing. My only contribution to that particular debate would be that if you have a grid which is oversubscribed, it would be better to run two heats and a final of proper classic cars rather than manufacture a grid of what, to some, would seem inappropriate vehicles.
3. Get the racing right and the crowds will follow and on their heels will come all those people, clubs and businesses that add so much to the overall event. Only the organisers know if the concerts were a worthwhile venture. Personally, conceptually and physically they were too remote. I do not pretend to be an expert on theses things but why create a separate venue two fields away when there are thousands of grandstand seats empty?
The event promoted as a major event in a car/owners club calendar can’t be difficult concept to foster and must be fairly high on the list of priorities. Get them all there and then the retailers will follow.
Having said all that I am still not sure who was doing what and with whom. However, as a competitor I know I paid a fair chunk towards it.

Old 16 Aug 2009, 10:39 (Ref:2522268)   #155
BOSSman
Veteran

BOSSman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EuroBOSS @ Silverstone Classic 2010?

Hi friends,
one of my biggest wishes/ideas/plans for our EuroBOSS calendar 2010 is to get a place for a race at the 'Silverstone Classic' meeting next year.

I think we could have for this meeting a 20+ car grid with a lot of interesting, spectacular and noisy machines (V12 Ferrari, Mansell Williams, Schumacher Benetton, etc.)!

I would like to ask you as farsighted motorsport enthusiasts for your opinion about a EuroBOSS race at this event, because I and I think I can speak for the whole series would love to see the EuroBOSS cars there to join this superb event for a great spectacle with all the other interesting race series!

What do you think?
(please see not only an strict 'Classic Car' factor)

Many thanks for your comments in advance!

Christian
EuroBOSS Series
Old 16 Aug 2009, 11:01 (Ref:2522279)   #156
ralt-racer
Racer

ralt-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EuroBOSS gets my vote i think it would fit in nicely with the c2 sports and the historic gp cars.

Anyone have a spare car they would like me to drive???

Benn Simms
Old 16 Aug 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2522323)   #157
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Ruston is spot on 'it's bums on seats' and to be honest there were not an awfull lot of them in the stands opposite the pits. So what were the the attendance figures over the 3 days? Not nearly enough is my humble guess. Difficult times, I for one am fed up to the back teeth with No 10 et al informing so; I look at the prices being paid for cars at auction seems there is money about. Comrade fasted has made the point along with other competitors that it cost him a chunk to compete and form the hard core of the enterainment, whilst the fairground and traders pay for a spot & though with a chance of some return. The Woodygood lodge has the begging bowl out this year, causing comment, be fair look at the hospitality that goes with the invitation. At the Classic most of the hospitality was down to the 'clubs' and again all members have paid a sub to whichever organisation turns one on to enjoy.
The Christies and Coys were BRDC organised by full time staff, some key personel no longer there, now private companies are engaged presumably with a large chunk of the folding going in that direction, to do what the 'Club' was more than capable of doing, Goodwood is organised by Lord March and his very capable staff, 'In House'. VSCC at Donington manage it very well with full time hard working staff and volunteers, might not be as ambitious as the classic but a good weekend. As far as I am concerned Silverstone take note, why fix it when it was n't broke.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 13:56 (Ref:2522344)   #158
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I noticed that the Stowe circuit wasn't used all weekend. How about letting the public have passenger rides around there in some of the cars, and this could go on all day, with a rotation of cars, without interfering with anything else. Personally I'd love a ride in a GT40.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2522350)   #159
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Just get the entry fee down to a reasonable price and I will enter a car next year (thats if a 40 year old Camaro is considered elligible or 'historic' enough) I ain't paying those fancy entry fees though sorry! Same with the Irish event that seems to have flopped for the same reason, too high an entry fee, do you want car owners out or not?
Old 16 Aug 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2522364)   #160
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember there being separate Drivers Hospitality in the Christies days [still got one of the ally 'tags'].I really do not think it should be down to the individual clubs alone to offer this enticement.As for the Euro boss cars,as long as they are driven at something like the speeds they were intended for,why not?,most potential punters can remember those cars.
As I've said before,this kind of event needs to be put out far and wide and the proposed race format needs advertising a.s.a.p,not two months before hand.Get BRDC to take an active roll,there are STILL some members who are racing members.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 15:46 (Ref:2522378)   #161
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Spot on Terence old bean, immaterial now seeing as now Silverstone is being sold to some Arabs in the middle east.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 15:49 (Ref:2522379)   #162
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Eh?
Old 16 Aug 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2522381)   #163
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
John Ruston is spot on 'it's bums on seats' and to be honest there were not an awfull lot of them in the stands opposite the pits. So what were the the attendance figures over the 3 days? Not nearly enough is my humble guess. Difficult times ......
The trouble is if you spend all your time around the pits that 'snapshot' is going to give a false impression. The main stands would be pretty much the last place I'd want to watch from. If you looked at Luffield, Abbey, Priory etc you'd have seen plenty. Then, of course, there were plenty no doubt milling about around the stands and club areas. The numbers were 65,000 through the gates this year over the 3 days, up 15% from last year, which itself was up from the year before. Not bad in these recessionary times. We seem to be discussing this event as a failure. It wasn't, but like almost anything else, it can be improved.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 16:01 (Ref:2522385)   #164
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
How does Driver Hospitality bring in more people?
In the old days this facility was provided by sponsors,Chrysler being the last ,
They also paid for same thing at Oldtimers
There is no problem with entries as the Grids were full so where does the increse in income from ,and why should they worry if certain people do not want to pay costs,?
The costs are in line for all main Festival Races except MOnterey which is 400 Quid a race
The basic financial problem may be you have to many margins to be made with.BRDC,the unbrella management organisation and then the individule race organisers .It may be the problem but can see no alternative with the present race/series promotion set up within Historic Racing.People like Monaco,Goodwood ,Monterey get round the problem by having a stage and position that enables them to promote their own races.BRDC are not now in a position to do that.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2522391)   #165
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
JT's comment crossed mine and I agree with him totally.The idea of the thread was add polish to a superb event and to ensure the event is considered one of the best festivals anywhere.
I read on one of these comments that TV coverage should be improved.How.?You now have good wall to wall coverable on one channel.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 17:06 (Ref:2522408)   #166
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Eh?
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=38650
Old 16 Aug 2009, 17:51 (Ref:2522430)   #167
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
The trouble is if you spend all your time around the pits that 'snapshot' is going to give a false impression.Quote John Turner
I'm not complaining, do not get a great deal of time to leave the paddock, so I stand corrected, I drove to the Porsche centre on Saturday noon, had to go the long way round the perimeter, road closed to the right at Copse tunnel, to meet up with a friend, I was surprised at the lack of numbers at a sunny Silverstone. I give not one jot if the classic lives or falls, I enjoyed the weekend, though I am also aware it is no where near what it was in the Christie/Coys era. It may well be another event has gone with large chunk of available sponsorship, the ability and enthusiasm of the various clubs staff and membership is not in question, well over subscribed grids. Something is missing, and I happen to think it is the enthusiasm and ability of former staff at Silverstone to fill in those all important gaps brtween the races.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 18:17 (Ref:2522442)   #168
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for Driver hospitality,I was not reffering to 'bums on seats',thought it might be a nice touch.
Silverstone has two major problems,as has been said,there are too many organising it,hence my comment about the BRDC being the main organizer,bring back James Beckett,someone who put his heart and soul into his job,that would be a good place to start. As to the other problem,thats down south!
Old 16 Aug 2009, 18:35 (Ref:2522456)   #169
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
As for Driver hospitality,I was not reffering to 'bums on seats',thought it might be a nice touch.
Silverstone has two major problems,as has been said,there are too many organising it,hence my comment about the BRDC being the main organizer,bring back James Beckett,someone who put his heart and soul into his job,that would be a good place to start. As to the other problem,thats down south!
Not sure a miss-understanding here it was Comrade Ruston who wrote Bums on seats, no fuss Terence, I refrained from mentioning James and the Club, but it is just where I am coming from and as long as the club pursues a one event policy so it will be those little important places at other events will be missing.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 22:53 (Ref:2522644)   #170
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow!

I had the chance to watch highlights of the various races run over the Classic weekend on Motors TV this last few days and I must say, I absolutely enjoyed the action. Fantastic stuff. I loved the Brabham and Cooper trophy races as well as the Moss Trophy race. Some of the action replays of three wheeling Coopers was simply breathtaking.

I regret not making it to the meeting now. The last time I was there was in 2006 and I will never forget the site a certain Cortina being drifted around Woodcote.

I will try and make it to the Oulton Park Gold Cup to get my fix of historic racing.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 07:07 (Ref:2522774)   #171
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Not sure a miss-understanding here it was Comrade Ruston who wrote Bums on seats, no fuss Terence, I refrained from mentioning James and the Club, but it is just where I am coming from and as long as the club pursues a one event policy so it will be those little important places at other events will be missing.
Yes,that was where my reply was aimed brm.
I think that as far as the Classic is concerned,there are too many cook's.
One club,one organizer and of course some sponsor's should help no end,but then again,thats in an ideal world.It has to be said that SC started out as the greatest Historic event in Europe,I dont think there is any reason why it cannot re-gain that status with a bit of trimming up.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 07:28 (Ref:2522778)   #172
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

I am only aware of three Historic Racing events that could be considered better than Silverstone Classic so to be one of the best in Europe it doesn't have far to go.
As the backbone of Historic Racing are now the race organisers Masters,Legends,HSCC,FJ,Carol etc.
Are you two suggesting you dump these in what has become their showcase event for an untried organisation at Silverstone.
How many people on here look at this from a business point of view with a P and L account.Someones money has to be put up to allow all us people to play.Then non payers can spend days trying to get free tickets so they can post on here and other places what is wrong with event.Undercover reporters?
Old 17 Aug 2009, 07:41 (Ref:2522783)   #173
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thats exactly my point John,it started out as a showcase on how it should be done,then the others copied it.Unfortunately,for whatever reason,GW jumped into the frame and as far as the punters know,thats the place to go.Undercover reporters ? possibly.
As I had [in hindsight] taken the wrong decision and gone elsewhere this year,I can only comment on last years event,which I thought was somehow 'lacking' in the punter department,this year must have been a little worse because the recession had bitten a lot of people throughout the previous twelve months.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 07:54 (Ref:2522789)   #174
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Terry,It was at least as good this year despite the umbrella management team being changed at last second.
Goodwood Revival started well after Silverstone was in full stride and if you remember BRDC messed up about eight years ago when Fitz left and only made a come back four years ago.In the intervening years Coys had a go at Rockingham which was a bit of a cock up.
This lot is a new venture and cannot count on Shell Historics and Sponsorship as in a previous life.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 07:56 (Ref:2522790)   #175
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm not complaining, do not get a great deal of time to leave the paddock
Entirely understood.

Quote:
I give not one jot if the classic lives or falls
Now that really is disappointing to read!

I really want the event to survive and thrive, and I do think it was a real success. From my point of view, it is now one of the big ones just like Coys used to be even if it hasn't quite reached the same status. Clearly, there are still issues, but surely nothing insurmountable. My own 'beefs' are minor and I haven't even bothered to list them, as I think JR's emphasis on getting more 'bums on seats' is probably the key to making it more secure commercially. However, as I've said numbers were up and I've not heard that the event made a loss this year; quite the reverse, in fact.