Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 21 Jan 2015, 21:36 (Ref:3494970)   #1876
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post

This is SO much better. #16 and #20 number plates are on the Dyson cars!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
I hope this is a sneak peek of 2016. That car at that track some time in mid-March.
+1

If IMSA was bold enough they would let the GT3s run as guest entries in GTLM (since they're faster than GTDs) and we would see these cars in endurance* races in 2015 already!

(*longer than 50 minutes sprint races)
Old 22 Jan 2015, 15:14 (Ref:3495156)   #1877
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
+1

If IMSA was bold enough they would let the GT3s run as guest entries in GTLM (since they're faster than GTDs) and we would see these cars in endurance* races in 2015 already!

(*longer than 50 minutes sprint races)
Maybe. Dyson has historically run the top class in whatever series he runs..I guess the p2 porsches were a stray from that. If you mean we would see cars like this had is a opened up the regs..I agree.
Old 22 Jan 2015, 15:42 (Ref:3495173)   #1878
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Marshall Pruett has some interesting info in his recent Daytona Notebook Columns about a new manufacturer joining the ranks:

Quote:
We could have a new GT marque coming to race in the TUDOR Championship later this season. I’ll have the full details early next week, and based on initial discussions, racing in IMSA and a European WEC campaign is under consideration.
Ford? McLaren? somebody else?
Old 22 Jan 2015, 15:52 (Ref:3495176)   #1879
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Marshall Pruett has some interesting info in his recent Daytona Notebook Columns about a new manufacturer joining the ranks:

Ford? McLaren? somebody else?
I'm gonna go with Lambo.
Old 22 Jan 2015, 16:08 (Ref:3495182)   #1880
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm gonna go with Lambo.
Seconded....Reiter released their 'FL2' GT3 in early December.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 22 Jan 2015, 17:48 (Ref:3495207)   #1881
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We knew that already about Lamborghini, as told by Sportscar 365 http://sportscar365.com/gt/lamborghi...r-gtd-in-2015/

But you can't do a European WEC campaign in a GT3 car, so surely it's has to be a GTE manufacturer?
Old 22 Jan 2015, 18:10 (Ref:3495214)   #1882
Coach Ep
Veteran

We're all just guessing, if it had to make sense we wouldn't have 1% of all posts here!
Old 22 Jan 2015, 18:11 (Ref:3495215)   #1883
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaro Zukovsky View Post
We knew that already about Lamborghini, as told by Sportscar 365 http://sportscar365.com/gt/lamborghi...r-gtd-in-2015/

But you can't do a European WEC campaign in a GT3 car, so surely it's has to be a GTE manufacturer?
You are correct, if a WEC campaign is being pursued, it has to be GTE. But you hit on an important wording from the Racer article. "European WEC" Did they really mean ELMS? or just Silv/Spa/Le Mans/Nurb?
Old 22 Jan 2015, 18:15 (Ref:3495217)   #1884
Coach Ep
Veteran

There you go Joeb, maybe a bad translation, who knows?
Old 22 Jan 2015, 19:57 (Ref:3495250)   #1885
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Wec or elms makes a big difference. One means GTE, the other means that OR GT3. The latter option is nearly endless.
Old 22 Jan 2015, 20:47 (Ref:3495265)   #1886
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
You are correct, if a WEC campaign is being pursued, it has to be GTE. But you hit on an important wording from the Racer article. "European WEC" Did they really mean ELMS? or just Silv/Spa/Le Mans/Nurb?
This.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 23 Jan 2015, 03:10 (Ref:3495397)   #1887
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder why We didn't get a new livery from Corvette this year? Kind of disappointing.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 10:06 (Ref:3495480)   #1888
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or a return of the infamous Lotus Evora GTE!
Old 23 Jan 2015, 12:14 (Ref:3495516)   #1889
Disraeli Eers
Racer

United States
Parkersburg, WV
Disraeli Eers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDisraeli Eers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So how come there isn't a race thread yet? And why have so few been talking about this series since the Roar when people were so vocal in previous months?

Is there some kind of silent protest or do people actually just not care enough to watch it now?

I'm beyond pumped and hope that if this goes well this weekend people will come back. I mean a Ligier is on pole and no one is celebrating.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 12:16 (Ref:3495517)   #1890
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disraeli Eers View Post
So how come there isn't a race thread yet? And why have so few been talking about this series since the Roar when people were so vocal in previous months?

Is there some kind of silent protest or do people actually just not care enough to watch it now?

I'm beyond pumped and hope that if this goes well this weekend people will come back. I mean a Ligier is on pole and no one is celebrating.
Errrrr...
Old 23 Jan 2015, 12:18 (Ref:3495518)   #1891
Disraeli Eers
Racer

United States
Parkersburg, WV
Disraeli Eers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDisraeli Eers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh my... What a fool lol

Damn this Tapatalk app!
Old 23 Jan 2015, 14:10 (Ref:3495567)   #1892
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disraeli Eers View Post
Oh my... What a fool lol

Damn this Tapatalk app!
I know, tapatalk makes finding a stickied thread nearly impossible.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 16:04 (Ref:3495595)   #1893
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/2...for-next-week/
Not much new information.
Quote:
With a target operating cost reduction of 30 percent, a number of cost-cutting initiatives were discussed in the first meeting in Paris last September, including the possibility of having a certain amount of common parts among manufacturers.
Another key talking point was the concept of manufacturer-specific bodywork, similar to what’s currently seen with Daytona Prototypes in the TUDOR Championship. However, it’s understood the ACO’s initial proposal was to limit manufacturer involvement in the class.
With all the new LMP2 designs coming out this year, I don't understand why the ACO/IMSA is talking about making drastic changes. The current P2 machines still retain some of the LMP1 cool factor, while offering a lower cost for privateer teams. Why change what works?
Some spec part -more tightly controlled 2017 P2esque design, will only serve to further alienate U.S. sports car fans.
It seems with our sport, the light at the end of the tunnel is far too often a train.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 17:35 (Ref:3495625)   #1894
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's weird (and stupid) for IMSA to add more spec to P2. The cars are made for privateers after all so it's built within spec according to the rulebook.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 17:47 (Ref:3495637)   #1895
Coach Ep
Veteran

No, it's not. It's called cost saving and is desperately needed.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 18:02 (Ref:3495646)   #1896
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No, it's not. It's called cost saving and is desperately needed.
Buying a new LMP2 car isn't that expensive. The current cost cap is around 500 000 €, but the costs of running a full season of TUSC or WEC are multiple times that (was it something around 2 million €?). So most of the budget is consumed by the running costs. So it's that part of the budget they need to focus on.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 18:08 (Ref:3495650)   #1897
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontlieue View Post
Buying a new LMP2 car isn't that expensive. The current cost cap is around 500 000 €, but the costs of running a full season of TUSC or WEC are multiple times that (was it something around 2 million €?). So most of the budget is consumed by the running costs. So it's that part of the budget they need to focus on.
Which is something spec parts - if done right and not as a bonanza for the supplier in question - can do. Having consumables produced in larger quantities by spec suppliers or bought through the series should reduce costs - that's simply a question of economies of scale.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 18:09 (Ref:3495652)   #1898
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is from the "cut off your hands" school of business management, which holds that the less you offer, the lower your costs, which is surely the road to increased profit, right? Of course, your competitors will offer slightly more costly products which people actually want, and despite the higher production costs will realize a much higher profit.

Taken to its illogical extreme, IMSA could lose the cars and have the drivers run foot races—each team will save millions in parts, car costs, fuel, tires, engineers, transporters ... just a sports coach and a nutritionist and maybe a masseur, all of which are likely already on staff.

Or ... the series can realize that people Don't want to see more spec racing ... the main attraction ALMS had was cars people wanted to watch racing, wanted to read about between races, cars which might even (*gasp*) Change between races ...

Restatement for people who thought it was not a valid point the first time I said it:

FI-ACO can afford a more spec P2 class because they have P1. Tudor has DP and P2 and if those two chassis types don't excite the crowd ... TUSC is in a position now (IMO) to either continue slowly failing or to start succeeding; the chassis balance between DP and P2 is Very encouraging, whichever type wins the race, and the people I have talked with at Daytona are really excited to see a P2 actually competing.

If 2017 brings a return to a bland, generic DP-like car, expect the next few years to be increasingly lean.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 21:40 (Ref:3495746)   #1899
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the problem is too many races, or more accurately, too many miles.

Having Daytona, Sebring and Petit all in one season makes for a lot of miles. Most fans would like to see all three of those races on the calendar, but it's a chunk of miles.

After attending two Baltimore GPs and watching street races on TV, I don't think Proto sports cars really belong on a street course. I know there are marketing considerations, etc., but I have yet to see any sort of compelling proto sports car race. (GT-only might be a different story.) It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see the street races dropped.

On one of the threads, I think I remember reading that running a full WEC season in a GTLM was less expensive than a full GTLM season in TUSC, even accounting for travel. Does anyone know for sure?

I would rather see fewer races with cool cars. I'm with Maleochs on this one. If you want to save a ton of money, just make TUSC a go-kart series.

I also think that this fixation on "brand specific" bodywork is going to make P2 MORE expensive.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 22:14 (Ref:3495761)   #1900
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Swinger View Post

I also think that this fixation on "brand specific" bodywork is going to make P2 MORE expensive.
I think it has been implied that IMSA itself isn't a proponent of the bodywork idea, but one of their main supporters (GM) is pushing for this. Nobody else ever developed specific bodywork other than GM (yes ford breathed on the riley to make it work with the ecoboost, but not hugely different). Goes back to the question of why the rules need to be changed if all these companies are making new P2 cars to the current regs.