Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Feb 2024, 11:26 (Ref:4195864)   #176
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
What I'm finding interesting/reassuring with all of this discussion is that this information is becoming more prevalent enabling us all to realise what a scam this (and many other 'things) all is.
Old 9 Feb 2024, 11:37 (Ref:4195868)   #177
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Slow down tiger, that link is updated on an hourly basis so what It showed when I posted it, will obviously be different now.

At 5am today it showed wind as (approx) 55% and Fossil Fuels at 10%. The rest was from other sources. As I write it's 44.6% renewables and the balance Fossil and nuclear.

The big problem with renewables IMO is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/green-energy/wind
By 2023, the UK had over 11 thousand wind turbines with a total installed capacity of 30 gigawatts (GW): 15 GW onshore and 15 GW offshore.
The record for energy from renewables is 21.8GW delivered in a period of 1 hour on a Thursday in December 2023 (see https://www.theguardian.com/environm...city-storm-pia). Ergo it doesn't even reach its own max capacity. The reason for this must surely be that the wind doesn't blow in the right places to support the requirements. Cheering for something that only does 70% of its job for one hour in a year and has to be supported by fossil fules for the balance of the requirement is not really practical. It also suggests that more turbines will not equate to the UKs capacity requirements.

Again, this is my opinion.

And as I said, please be careful when responding to EV comments..............
Old 9 Feb 2024, 16:41 (Ref:4195916)   #178
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Slow down tiger, that link is updated on an hourly basis so what It showed when I posted it, will obviously be different now.

At 5am today it showed wind as (approx) 55% and Fossil Fuels at 10%. The rest was from other sources. As I write it's 44.6% renewables and the balance Fossil and nuclear.

The big problem with renewables IMO is this:

The record for energy from renewables is 21.8GW delivered in a period of 1 hour on a Thursday in December 2023 (see https://www.theguardian.com/environm...city-storm-pia). Ergo it doesn't even reach its own max capacity. The reason for this must surely be that the wind doesn't blow in the right places to support the requirements. Cheering for something that only does 70% of its job for one hour in a year and has to be supported by fossil fules for the balance of the requirement is not really practical. It also suggests that more turbines will not equate to the UKs capacity requirements.

Again, this is my opinion.

And as I said, please be careful when responding to EV comments..............
But it is not just your opinion Peter .
A long term study of UK wind generation shows that for most of the year it is producing less than 20% of its rated capacity ..http://www.iesisenergy.org/agp/Aris-Wind-paper.pdf
Which is why it has Diesel generators as back ups .And claiming they use BIO fuels classes it as renewable generation , so it gets subsidised by over
£600 million .
Old 9 Feb 2024, 17:35 (Ref:4195925)   #179
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anyone got a shilling for the meter they can spare?
Old 9 Feb 2024, 17:42 (Ref:4195926)   #180
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bugger, I just sent it to Ecotricity. (Other power suppliers are available).
Old 9 Feb 2024, 20:28 (Ref:4195951)   #181
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh well, another cold night awaits.
Old 9 Feb 2024, 20:46 (Ref:4195953)   #182
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Important village update - I'm sorry, I hadn't planned to be burdening you with too much excitement too soon, but there has been a Development.

Yesterday we had as much rain in a day as we normally get in a fortnight at this time of year. The puddle when i went to work at Silly o'Clock this morning was more of a lake than a leak, and I was glad we went through in a big-wheeled diesel SUV. (I have mentioned my hypocrisy with EV/ICE vehicles before)

But today our local councillor banged heads together and a big lorry came along, shoved a pipe down the drain and - Schlump! - the water was gone! Lake Titibrombrom just vanished down the enormous plughole that had magically been unblocked. I drove through tonight with my auxiliary drive belt intact. So many months waiting for such a short job.

In other news, my chair has now developed murderous tendencies. Every time I stand up, the seat is propelled upwards by the internal spring, projecting me skywards as the chair throws itself at the floor with the alacrity of Ronaldo claiming a penalty. I believe elderly people pay a fortune for chairs that electronically move them to a standing position, I get it for free. Maybe we could harness the kinetic energy to charge an EV?

Far too much excitement for one day, long weekend ahead so early night called for. See you next week
Old 9 Feb 2024, 20:57 (Ref:4195956)   #183
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The sun shone today & it was just like a proper spring day, so much so I even saw some people enjoying a walk in my lane. Two days ago they would have needed a boat.

Enjoying all these thrilling tales of life in the country, Bauble?
Old 10 Feb 2024, 01:20 (Ref:4195987)   #184
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I must confess to being guilty of enjoying the Bromham Briefings. Thanks Max. Refreshing to hear that local council's around the world seem to work with global similarities and much procrastinating. I worried it was just ours.
Old 10 Feb 2024, 18:08 (Ref:4196059)   #185
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Two days ago they would have needed a boat.
In your area, instances need to take rivers dredging seriously. Many people are so much desperate they want to move. A real shame.
Old 10 Feb 2024, 19:04 (Ref:4196069)   #186
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
In your area, instances need to take rivers dredging seriously. Many people are so much desperate they want to move. A real shame.
Tell that to the idiots in Brussels!

The rules on when you can or cannot dredge a ditch or a brook are amazingly complex. Just one of the many, many things farmers are complaining about.

My situation is different as I live in a valley with a lane running a long way uphill in front of my house. In times of heavy rain all the water rushed downhill & collects in my lane. As with Max's case, it gradually spreads right across tghe lane & is now damaging the surface.
Old 10 Feb 2024, 19:10 (Ref:4196072)   #187
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Here in Potton we appear to enjoy out own micro climate, and we do have some bas weather, indeed yesterday it rained for a few hours. heavy enough to make he pavement damp. We have to survive endless sunny days, and watch BBC weather forecasts and wonder what snow is, and just what gale force winds are. Quite frankly we refuse to believe the reports of floods etc, it is clearly complete nonsense.

Lake size puddles ... yeah, yeah!
Old 11 Feb 2024, 17:14 (Ref:4196167)   #188
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Having returned from Spain on Friday it was a "little bit" of a change to see the fields and roads flooded from our house ! Where we live in Andalusia Spain's most populated region with 9 million inhabitants is currently experiencing the lowest rainfall since the 1960s. Most of the reservoirs are actually dried up and the government are now starting to put water restrictions on households.
When we first went there 52 years ago some regions hadn't had any rain for 5 years but people used to get by, however now that "build build build" is still going on all along the coast all the towns and villages are just about joining up ! What with most of the available water being taken to feed the huge polytunnel coverage it's looking very bleak
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Feb 2024, 17:33 (Ref:4196169)   #189
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Isn't Almeria region called Costa del Polyetene now? Just hope they have the same cultural pratice developped moons ago in the US using very few water to grow plants. Its the biggest area of all EU it feeds millions of people now.
Old 11 Feb 2024, 18:06 (Ref:4196175)   #190
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Isn't Almeria region called Costa del Polyetene now? Just hope they have the same cultural pratice developped moons ago in the US using very few water to grow plants. Its the biggest area of all EU it feeds millions of people now.
Not me! Spanish tomatoes & strawberries are tasteless crap - I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole & that was even before the French farmers high-lighteds their plight.
Old 13 Feb 2024, 12:16 (Ref:4196523)   #191
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Not me! Spanish tomatoes & strawberries are tasteless crap - I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole & that was even before the French farmers high-lighteds their plight.
Do you own a barge poll, John?
You always were a strange one, but striking tomatoes with a big stick is bizarre even for you.

Well this thread can get boring.
Old 13 Feb 2024, 12:50 (Ref:4196530)   #192
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
A barge poll? Gets my vote.............................
Old 13 Feb 2024, 18:38 (Ref:4196579)   #193
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
A barge poll? Gets my vote.............................
I wondered who would be the first to spot ...etc, etc.
Old 13 Feb 2024, 19:54 (Ref:4196584)   #194
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I wondered who would be the first to spot ...etc, etc.
Pollox - it was a mistake!
Old 13 Feb 2024, 20:24 (Ref:4196587)   #195
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
C'on, John, don't be so shy. We know you're a good danser.
Old 13 Feb 2024, 22:07 (Ref:4196603)   #196
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
How many of the panel have had problems with trying to use DVLA lately ? Because we spend up to 6 months a year in Spain, sometimes up to 2 months at a time I often sorn my old 406 PUG diesel as it costs £350 to tax it . For the last two days I have tried every possible way to tax it online and completely failed. As for talking to an actual "person" forget it! and I also tried their ring back service 3 times and left over an hour each time for it to happen ! So I finished up going to the nearest post office today that can do car tax. It took a while because I needed the log book number that happened to be in Spain amongst other trivialities, but the women was marvelous and worked around it (I suppose they have direct links with the DVLA)? I then asked her "do you have problems with the DVLA" ? Her actual words were " they are getting worse and worse all the time and at this moment they are a ******g joke"
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Feb 2024, 08:41 (Ref:4196634)   #197
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Went to see the Audi vs Lancia film yesterday & thought it rather good. Yes, there is some dramatisation but guess that is inevitable in a non-documentary film. The driving scenes alone were spectacular & reminded one of just how brutal those cars. The testing scenes of a couple of 037 prototypes at Balocco (I think) were almost worth the 8 euros entry alone. There was one very questionable scene on one rally but I won't spoil it for others.

I think Henin-Beaumont must be a bit short of rally fans on a Tuesday afternoon as I was the only one in the cinema!

Next week they are showing 'Une Vie' (A Life) which I must see, so as one who normally goes to a cinema about once every 10 years I shall go two weeks running.
Old 14 Feb 2024, 08:47 (Ref:4196635)   #198
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Why will you be running, why not take the car?
Old 14 Feb 2024, 08:59 (Ref:4196637)   #199
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
One has to 'think of the planet' these days, or so the eco nutters keep telling us!
Old 14 Feb 2024, 10:10 (Ref:4196642)   #200
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
How many of the panel have had problems with trying to use DVLA lately ? Because we spend up to 6 months a year in Spain, sometimes up to 2 months at a time I often sorn my old 406 PUG diesel as it costs £350 to tax it . For the last two days I have tried every possible way to tax it online and completely failed. As for talking to an actual "person" forget it! and I also tried their ring back service 3 times and left over an hour each time for it to happen ! So I finished up going to the nearest post office today that can do car tax. It took a while because I needed the log book number that happened to be in Spain amongst other trivialities, but the women was marvelous and worked around it (I suppose they have direct links with the DVLA)? I then asked her "do you have problems with the DVLA" ? Her actual words were " they are getting worse and worse all the time and at this moment they are a ******g joke"
Gordon,they have nosed dived down to the depths of hopless.
They even lost,mislaid the logbook for my Capri,off of the computer base!!!
Hopeless,unhelpfully so glad I no longer have any use for them.
The system here is incredibly efficient with very helpful staffing.