Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Jul 2016, 21:50 (Ref:3658733)   #201
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
GT Asia champs plan Porsche Bathurst attack

Craft Bamboo considering a two car Porsche attack on the 12 hour
Old 14 Jul 2016, 01:45 (Ref:3658753)   #202
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Craft Bamboo considering a two car Porsche attack on the 12 hour
Fingers crossed, those things look BEASTLY!
Old 14 Jul 2016, 08:09 (Ref:3658776)   #203
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Fingers crossed, those things look BEASTLY!
If and I do stress If walkinshaw and bamboo both commit to 2 car efforts for next years race as has been the early talk than it looks like Porsche will have a very good chance of a decent result next year.

As we have all seen from previous years, until the cars are in crates and on their way the entry list can be very fluid.
Old 14 Jul 2016, 22:16 (Ref:3658872)   #204
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
The move to all pro drivers is a bit controversial, with some not happy

However Stephane Ratel is a big fan (and maybe the reason for the change, to bring it in line with all the other Intercontinental GT Challenge GT3 events

Ratel: Regulation change to boost Bathurst
Old 15 Jul 2016, 06:33 (Ref:3658911)   #205
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think we are only going to know the relatively success of the All Pro change come the chequered flag on 7th Feb 2016
Old 16 Jul 2016, 07:52 (Ref:3659023)   #206
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I think we are only going to know the relatively success of the All Pro change come the chequered flag on 7th Feb 2016
The race itself will be the true litmus test like you say.

I'm leaning to the side that its probably less controversial than the handling of the seeding process in recent years or the fact that we can still run 4 drivers.

From my understanding a pro am team can still field basically 3 pro drivers with a 4th gentlemen driver chucked in for the least amount of time.

I think the race is big enough that gentleman drivers will still want to enter their cars and race in the pro am category for a class victory and may very well still compete for the outright win in a scenario as described in the above paragraph.

I'm loving the 12hr more every year and hopefully the move to allow a full pro only class brings out the big guns in terms of teams, drivers and manufacturers.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 21:45 (Ref:3659670)   #207
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Updated website has gone on-line

Tickets and camping go on sale today

a new grandstand S12 which is covered, but pricey, $250 compared to $90 for the permannent grandstand

Ticket prices seem similar to 2016 race $60 for 3 day pass including paddock

Nothing on the TV package though

Last edited by peckstar; 19 Jul 2016 at 22:05.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 23:25 (Ref:3659679)   #208
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heres my humble collation of rumoured or confirmed entries so far.

Plenty of the regulars like Phoenix and Aus GT guys not included yet as no word from them. early days and already a awesome group!

Bathurst 2017 Line up - RUMOURED OR CONFIRMED ENTRIES ONLY

CLASS A

- Craft Bamboo - Porsche 911 GT3 R - TBA / TBA / TBA

- Craft Bamboo - Porsche 911 GT3 R - TBA / TBA / TBA

- Maranello Motorsport - Ferrari 488 GT3 - Toni Vilander / TBA / TBA

- Maranello Motorsport - Ferrari 488 GT3 - Peter Edwards / TBA / TBA. Pro Am effort

- Tekno Autosports - McLaren 650s GT3 - TBA / TBA / (SVG?)

- Tekno Autosports - McLaren 650s GT3 - TBA / TBA / TBA (Pro Am entry?)

- Steven Richards Motorsport - BMW M6 GT3 - Steven Richards / TBA / TBA

- Walkinshaw Racing - Porsche 911 GT3 R - TBA / TBA / TBA

- MARC Cars Australia - BMW M6 GT3 - TBA / TBA / TBA

- Trofeo Motorsport- Lamborghini Huracan GT3 - TBA / TBA / TBA

- TBA - Renault RS01 GT3 - TBA / TBA / TBA

- TBA - Renault RS01 GT3 - TBA / TBA / TBA

CLASS B

CLASS C

- Garage 59 Racing - McLaren 570s GT4 - TBA / TBA / TBA

- Aston Martin Racing - Aston Martin V8 Vantage GT4 - Andrew Palmer / TBA / TBA

INVITATIONAL CLASS

- MARC Cars Australia - TBA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 Jul 2016, 02:26 (Ref:3661567)   #209
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Craillsy slays it:

Quote:
Sadly, these people generally get so frustrated with the current state of internet discussion about the sport that they stay away from Facebook comments, website discussions and internet forums these days.

I know this to be true because I'm one of them.

But imagine for a moment how much better a place our sport would be if all those people got online and spread a wave of optimism around our sport. How good would that be?

Instead of suggesting Supercars was engaging in a conspiracy to kill the Bathurst 12 hour (one of the most stupid internet theories I've ever seen, one that defies common business logic let alone rational thinking, but I digress), perhaps they could appreciate the appeal of the event and the major backing it is now receiving to help it grow.

Instead of crying about ticket prices going up, perhaps look at the increased value-for-money proposition and say 'yeah - it's worth an extra five bucks a day..'

And instead of ranting about the current state of Australian open-wheel racing, perhaps move on with your life and create a viable alternative everyone can embrace , rather than pounding a keyboard with the same old rhetoric that 'things were better in 1975'.

I think, probably, this is too much to ask.
https://www.facebook.com/racetorquemedia/?fref=nf
Old 28 Jul 2016, 03:25 (Ref:3661570)   #210
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Do you believe that this is the reason why threads such as this have gone quiet ?

Last edited by Reload; 28 Jul 2016 at 03:41.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 04:07 (Ref:3661571)   #211
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
About i how i see it also, and No i am not him
Old 28 Jul 2016, 04:14 (Ref:3661572)   #212
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Do you believe that this is the reason why threads such as this have gone quiet ?
I'm not sure that its my place to say that but when people who are truly involved in the sport stop coming here because of those mentioned, then we all lose.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 05:11 (Ref:3661573)   #213
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=peckstar;3661571]About i how i see it also, and No i am not him[/QUOTE]

Really!!
Craillsy actually makes a lot of sense and has credibility.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 05:32 (Ref:3661575)   #214
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
[QUOTE=porsche91722;3661573]
Quote:
About i how i see it also, and No i am not him[/QUOTE]

Really!!
Craillsy actually makes a lot of sense and has credibility.
Well seeing he is just saying something i said a year ago when the sale to v8 supercar contract was announced, maybe i make more sense that you believe
Old 28 Jul 2016, 05:50 (Ref:3661576)   #215
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
I think the beef around the V8SC acquisition was that it came on the heels of the test day clash debacle and what people thought the acquisition meant in that context. However, it looks more and more like a case of V8SC thinking "if you can't beat'em, join'em". And if there's a decent entry list and a decent crowd again for 2017 (and why wouldn't there be?) while keeping what propelled the event to its current status, that ought to be a confirmation of that.

Plus let's not forget SRO is involved now. I reckon if V8SC try anything to downsize the event they'll face a significant buffer of opposition from Ratel.

Also, speaking as an outsider who came from overseas and experienced the 12 Hour in person this year for the first time: you guys have NO IDEA what a great event you have on your hands with this race. Just improve the support package a little and it'd be brilliant.

Last edited by Victor_RO; 28 Jul 2016 at 05:57.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 10:47 (Ref:3661594)   #216
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not sure that its my place to say that but when people who are truly involved in the sport stop coming here because of those mentioned, then we all lose.
Couldn't of said it better. In recent years the forum has lost a number of interesting members who got tired of the constant dribble of small but frequent posters who it seems still have their head in the sand. Very sad.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 22:17 (Ref:3661737)   #217
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Just reading about SVG being on provisional pole at Spa and notice they have a superpole for the fastest 20.

Reckon this would be a great idea for the 12 hour as well, (although we could limit it to 10 )

I'm of the opinion a bit of made for tv racing on the saturday would be a good thing to encourage some saturday TV viewing
Old 29 Jul 2016, 00:17 (Ref:3661756)   #218
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
I'm of the opinion a bit of made for tv racing on the saturday would be a good thing to encourage some saturday TV viewing
I agree, always makes for an exciting climax and a good reason to tune in - could increase viewership of Saturday support race, which can't be a bad thing.

For me, speaking off a lot more B1000s under my belt than B12hr, the shoot out and TCM are the main things that get me to make time...
Old 29 Jul 2016, 00:43 (Ref:3661758)   #219
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
I could be wrong as i was young at the time, But wasn't the reason that Hardies Heros was introduced was so that they could introduce Saturday coverage, from memory it wasn't live initially, leave that one for the older psoters to answer.

But some support highlights would definitely add to the package
Old 29 Jul 2016, 00:55 (Ref:3661760)   #220
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
The broader question about Saturday viewing is twofold I think:

What will get average Joe tuning in?
- Historic GrpA/C?
- TCM
- Dunlop series mini-enduro?
- Speed comparisons/handicap race?
- Stadium Supertrucks
- Shoot out with a climactic finish

On the flip side, what do the hardcore fans want?
- I'd think shootout would keep the hardcore fans happy - after all we want to see more of the fast guys in the latest exotic machines going hard
- Carrera Cup mini-enduro? 2-driver race?

The balance here is packaging something that will get people tuning in, but everything you do on Saturday is a compromise with track time too, so if you do a 2-3 hour race it has a real cost in track time.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 04:09 (Ref:3661778)   #221
the magnet
Rookie

the magnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I could be wrong as i was young at the time, But wasn't the reason that Hardies Heros was introduced was so that they could introduce Saturday coverage, from memory it wasn't live initially, leave that one for the older psoters to answer.

Hardies Heroes was created for television at the behest of Mike Raymond and the seven network in 1978, who were, to be fair paying increasing fees for broadcast rights, and having more influence on the way the event was staged. It was run on Saturday morning, recorded and replayed sometime at around 4.pm that evening. It was by the way, for some years the best of two laps, counting down from tenth to first and then repeated to see if anyone could improve their time. For us as flaggies it almost gave us Saturday morning off( it was a five day meeting then) all you had to do was put one person on yellow and rotate them every laps! The last thing on Saturday at Bathurst was always 60 mins untimed practice. Not sure if something similar could be done for the 12hr, perhaps a qualifying package recorded and replayed before the evening news by the host broadcaster. Or if it goes to Foxtel they may elect to broadcast qualifying live as apart of an increased coverage. But a superpole format? it would give us flaggies some time off again (yes, some of us are still going) but I dont know how many casual viewers might go out of their way to tune in especially on Saturday, I would think most people who were interested in the event would find a way to watch anyway, with or without supports. just my 2 cents
Old 29 Jul 2016, 11:53 (Ref:3661823)   #222
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A real shame to read there will be control tyres in the 12hr next year

I think that Richard Craill piece is a little bit of an over-reaction

I think peckstar is on the right track suggesting a Shootout and airing it later on the Saturday arvo. It'd be an uphill battle to get the supports televised though unless they are expected to pay for it.

Quote:
On the flip side, what do the hardcore fans want?
- Carrera Cup mini-enduro? 2-driver race?
I wouldn't have thought too many 'hardcore fans' would want to watch a one-make enduro
Old 29 Jul 2016, 12:37 (Ref:3661827)   #223
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
A real shame to read there will be control tyres in the 12hr next year
I hadnt read anywhere about the control tyres, How would they manage that with different size wheels/tyres on cars

admittedly the last two years at least (and i think longer) you could only choose from the two chosen brands (was it michelin and pirelli)

Last edited by peckstar; 29 Jul 2016 at 12:42.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 14:09 (Ref:3661848)   #224
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I hadnt read anywhere about the control tyres, How would they manage that with different size wheels/tyres on cars

admittedly the last two years at least (and i think longer) you could only choose from the two chosen brands (was it michelin and pirelli)
I was working off this article, where admittedly its says Pirelli are "to be announced"
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/0...-12-hours.html

I wasn't a fan of limiting it to 2 brands either, but it was better than just one.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 00:32 (Ref:3661960)   #225
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
I wasn't a fan of limiting it to 2 brands either, but it was better than just one.
Keep in mind the cost of a tyre manufacturer supporting an event like this is pretty huge.

Doesn't anybody think it will reduce the spectacle or adversely affect any teams?

Or will it level the playing field?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk