Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Mar 2024, 19:52 (Ref:4201818)   #2376
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Not only BTCC, but we used to have FFord, GT, an Historic race and it was a four day meeting. I believe the main reason for touring cars being dropped was TV rights and I think Bernie had something to do with that. Shame really, because the 4 day meeting, something was happening on track nearly all day. Now a 3 day meeting, all the track action could take place in 2 Days or less.

We went in 2016 for the three days, and it was a disappointment with long gaps between action. The worst day was on Sunday as our passes only permitted general admittance for the day of the GP. So, to make sure that we got a good spot for the day, we drove up from St Albans in Hertfordshire and arrived about half and hour before the gates were opened.

We then had hours to wait before anything happened on track and after the GP finished, at around 3 ish, nothing else happened on track. A huge waste of time in the middle of summer.

The most memorable part of the day then followed when we went and sat outside one of the beer tents in glorious weather and watched Murray win the singles tittle at Wimbledon on a big screen.
Old 18 Mar 2024, 20:35 (Ref:4201822)   #2377
Ant25
Racer

Ant25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpoe View Post
I am replying to myself !!!!! , it’s Wednesday day 1 shakedown!!!
Is that meant to be private?
Old 18 Mar 2024, 23:36 (Ref:4201833)   #2378
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant25 View Post
Is that meant to be private?
No. That was a correction to the previous post, having got the days wrong.
Old 19 Mar 2024, 08:00 (Ref:4201847)   #2379
InYourMirrors45
Racer

InYourMirrors45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
We went in 2016 for the three days, and it was a disappointment with long gaps between action. The worst day was on Sunday as our passes only permitted general admittance for the day of the GP. So, to make sure that we got a good spot for the day, we drove up from St Albans in Hertfordshire and arrived about half and hour before the gates were opened.

We then had hours to wait before anything happened on track and after the GP finished, at around 3 ish, nothing else happened on track. A huge waste of time in the middle of summer.

The most memorable part of the day then followed when we went and sat outside one of the beer tents in glorious weather and watched Murray win the singles tittle at Wimbledon on a big screen.
Agree. I’ve been a few times 2013, 2018 and 2022. It’s an massively overrated day IMO especially now the prices are ridiculously high. Much prefer going to a round of BTCC or GT’s these days.
Old 19 Mar 2024, 08:22 (Ref:4201848)   #2380
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I've never been to the British GP, but the atmosphere always seems great judging by watching it on the TV. Just a shame the price is so high. No wonder more go to the BTCC.
Old 19 Mar 2024, 08:43 (Ref:4201853)   #2381
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nick Halstead livery reveal tomorrow.
Old 19 Mar 2024, 10:31 (Ref:4201857)   #2382
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only reason I brought up the Supercars international F1 support rights was because of Silverstone CEO Stuart Pringle bringing up on a number of occasions that he wants to expand the BGP to a four day meeting, added to Alan Gow speaking about the possibility of BTCC chasing a slot in Autosport earlier this year - I'm sure as a non-championship round.

Personally, I think it would be good for the championship to push for a place if Pringle gets his way. I can see an extra day coming back if it is profitable. The weekend sells out easily and it might be a case of it being an easy way to make more money, instead of adding yet more to the mad F1 ticket price and the system they use now (my son tried to buy a ticket for him his wife and my grandson last year - put it in the basket online and when he was allowed to buy it eight hours later it had gone up by £320! There must be a breaking point with that tactic.)

On the other note, the Halstead teaser looks like it could be interesting. The Red and Black of Crazy Carts might work with a more adventurous design.
Old 19 Mar 2024, 11:44 (Ref:4201862)   #2383
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
One of my problems with the BGP has always been the relative lack of races on race day. The last time I went, I think there was 4 races, an F3000 type race in the morning, a Porsche Supercup race before the GP, the GP itself, then a classic grand prix race after. Never really thought that gave great value for money, not when ive been to some BTCC meets and there are 10-12 races on occasion.
Old 19 Mar 2024, 12:30 (Ref:4201869)   #2384
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I may have mentioned this before (sorry, but repeating yourself is an age thing), but when I started going to The British Grand Prix the BTCC race was held AFTER the Grand Prix in order to delay people from leaving the circuit (and I seem to remember a Historic race was held after that!).
Old 19 Mar 2024, 14:50 (Ref:4201877)   #2385
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I've never been to the British GP, but the atmosphere always seems great judging by watching it on the TV. Just a shame the price is so high. No wonder more go to the BTCC.
When was the last last time BTCC had a 350,000+ crowd?!
Old 19 Mar 2024, 17:56 (Ref:4201900)   #2386
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
When was the last last time BTCC had a 350,000+ crowd?!
When was the last time the British GP had a 350,000+ crowd?
Old 19 Mar 2024, 18:25 (Ref:4201905)   #2387
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
When was the last time the British GP had a 350,000+ crowd?
Old 19 Mar 2024, 18:55 (Ref:4201910)   #2388
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
160,000 on the Sunday.
Old 19 Mar 2024, 19:28 (Ref:4201912)   #2389
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The capacity is only 160k?
Old 19 Mar 2024, 20:20 (Ref:4201913)   #2390
Jamie Brown
Rookie

Jamie Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
350k across the whole weekend is it not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 Mar 2024, 20:21 (Ref:4201915)   #2391
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Combined total over 3 days maybe, so counting everyone 3 times
Old 19 Mar 2024, 20:39 (Ref:4201916)   #2392
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
160,000 on the Sunday.
Ok, so when was the last time a BTCC event ( as defined as being one day ) exceed 160,000?
Old 19 Mar 2024, 20:59 (Ref:4201917)   #2393
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apples and oranges.
Chalk and cheese.
BTCC and F1.
Niche national championship which a relatively tiny number of people outside the UK watch against *the* international broadcasting, media and aspirational brand behemoth.

I don't think Mr Griffin really meant what he typed, do you?
Old 19 Mar 2024, 21:26 (Ref:4201921)   #2394
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Or maybe he did - but in the context that the combined spectator numbers across all BTCC events held in the UK each year exceeds the combined spectator numbers across all F1 events held in the UK each year?

As you say though - not really a worthwhile comparison.
Old 20 Mar 2024, 07:33 (Ref:4201933)   #2395
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And back to rumours………A little birdie told me Jade’s not going to make the grid this year sadly.
Old 20 Mar 2024, 07:44 (Ref:4201934)   #2396
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
And back to rumours………A little birdie told me Jade’s not going to make the grid this year sadly.
Lack of funding? Or all seats now filled?
Old 20 Mar 2024, 09:22 (Ref:4201948)   #2397
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Apples and oranges.
Chalk and cheese.
BTCC and F1.
Niche national championship which a relatively tiny number of people outside the UK watch against *the* international broadcasting, media and aspirational brand behemoth.

What I meant was more people seem to be turning to the BTCC championship in this country, despite F1's big status due to better value for money and much better racing.
Old 20 Mar 2024, 10:10 (Ref:4201956)   #2398
Adamcas87
Racer

England
Old hairpin
Adamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAdamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Oh no……anyway
Old 20 Mar 2024, 10:33 (Ref:4201963)   #2399
SV8Predator
Racer

SV8Predator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Too early to state that with any conviction.
Old 20 Mar 2024, 10:45 (Ref:4201965)   #2400
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV8Predator View Post
Too early to state that with any conviction.
Struggling for budget, so unless a team drops the price of a seat, I’d take it as looking unlikely.