Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Jan 2018, 09:04 (Ref:3793944)   #126
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We're only 3 weeks in, mind you
Old 20 Jan 2018, 09:24 (Ref:3793948)   #127
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EXACTLY !!!
Old 21 Jan 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3794114)   #128
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
That's the way I feel about my Kia. Nice car, but no emotion to it. Just a means to get to and from the office. The wife's Honda Odessy is just a glamorous bus for family trips.
Every Honda has the spirit of "Without racing, there is no Honda". However they also have the ideas of cars and bikes being "fit for purpose" and optimized for the relevant usage cases. Sometimes that means the products are boring (be they cars or bikes) as they give buyers what they need rather what they want (buyers being most interested in the most powerful *spec sheet* in the world springs to mind).

Honda are wise enough to know that people don't want steering feedback or sporty handling in their MPV. Those are reserved for cars like the Civic Type R, S660, S2000 and NSX where the sportiness is laid on heavily -- "If you're gonna do it, do it properly."

Conversely other, especially European brands, want to grace every vehicle with sports suspension and a rorty exhaust for that "European ride and handling", regardless of whether it is appropriate for the vehicle's intended buyer and usage........

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 21 Jan 2018 at 12:36.
Old 21 Jan 2018, 12:35 (Ref:3794118)   #129
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jeremy Clarkson loved the mighty Magna (or Sigma as in the UK) and that counts for a lot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCPSnmL0ko4 One almost gets the impression Clarkson is being paid handsomely to channel his inner James May about the technical excellence of the Mitsubishi in some kind of informercial -- surely not, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The 380 was nicely balanced, strong engine, sweet gearshift, great ride for a 10 year old car. Stopped, steered & went like a brand new one. My friend bought it on the spot, even if it was an odd factory gold colour. With a dealer service history.

Something died the day Mitsubishi stopped building the 380...
Sorry but I will take the Honda Legend "super handling" (torque vectoring) all-wheel-drive over the 380. I just think it's a better car... for one thing the inside and outside look much better.

Mitsubishi are certainly the kings of torque vectoring with their mighty active yaw control of Evo, Galant and GTO fame though. All hail Mitsubishi.

Quote:
These are family cars for family adventures. A connection with a brand, whichever one it was, that told us they were here, for us, to help create our crazy childhoods.
That puts me in mind of the lovely low slung stance of the late 80's Honda Accord. Cars aren't low and slinky like this anymore.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 18:18 (Ref:3795298)   #130
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now that it's all over and in the history books, it is very sad to see the end of the distinct Australian car industry and the eventual end in a year or two of what we knew as V8 Supercars. But when the negative happens, the smart learn from it and it's a multi faceted demise of an industry. A government with noncompetitive tax rates and bureaucratic induced costs(like electricity), industrial unions who failed to flex with the market and a product that failed to adjust quickly enough to changing consumer demand all led to the end.
Old 27 Jan 2018, 00:54 (Ref:3795350)   #131
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can we outsource electricity to China/Thailand/Japan/Korea/USA/South Africa/Poland/Germany/Great Britain et al too?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Jan 2018, 00:56 (Ref:3795351)   #132
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Electricity costs are am issue for consumers but not so much for big industry really

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 27 Jan 2018, 02:40 (Ref:3795354)   #133
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Electricity costs are am issue for consumers but not so much for big industry really

But if we all go to electric cars, we will need all the coal in Aust to power the stations to plug in the electric wonders or have diesel hybrids .
Maybe I should buy an FG or VF and cover it in solar cels and drive them around for another twenty years.

Or buy some European designed green friendly, noddy box to zip around the city
Old 27 Jan 2018, 02:43 (Ref:3795355)   #134
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Can we outsource electricity to China/Thailand/Japan/Korea/USA/South Africa/Poland/Germany/Great Britain et al too?
You might have to do something if Australia keeps going "green".
Old 27 Jan 2018, 04:55 (Ref:3795366)   #135
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post

You just might be surprised. The number of businesses switching from electricity because of volatile energy prices onto more complex platforms like LNG or even LPG is surprising.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 10:18 (Ref:3796035)   #136
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
You just might be surprised. The number of businesses switching from electricity because of volatile energy prices onto more complex platforms like LNG or even LPG is surprising.
A photovoltaic installation should generate more than enough daytime electricity for regular office businesses. Very economic.

Industry, aluminium smelter etc is of course more of a pickle...
Old 29 Jan 2018, 01:16 (Ref:3796512)   #137
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...0?ffref=theage

Tax department may crack down on the loophole with dual-cab utes and FBT, which have numbered in the hundreds of thousands per year at the expense of big cars like the Commodore and Falcon, and if they had reacted a little bit quicker I wonder if things might have been a little different for Ford & Holden.

Of course the car manufacturers have loved this loophope because those vehicles are big and dumb and they make good money off it, and all of them have been on the teat.

I do think it is about time the ATO acted, stupid tax rules have been pushing people into vehicles that are bigger, less safe, and far less efficient than they would otherwise be buying.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 10:28 (Ref:3796572)   #138
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not just the Australian industry affected - sales of sedans have been diminishing rapidly across the globe.

If sedans end up constituting only a tiny/rare/niche segment of vehicle sales, then the elephant in the room must be "what is the future of touring cars"?
Old 29 Jan 2018, 10:46 (Ref:3796574)   #139
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's hard to compare to elsewhere in the world. We've always forged our own path in terms of touring car racing for the most part, but adopted other rulesets when it suited.

The problem we now have, is whilst everyone wants V8s, they also want cars that are RWD and V8-powered, and Ford Vs Holden. That may still be sustainable for the next couple of years at best, but at some point, it'll start to unravel when people and sponsors fall into that mindset of "Why are we racing cars that are no longer sold?" or "We want current/relatable cars to carry our branding". Are the NZV8s having this issue yet? They're still using VEIIs and FGs, and the previous-gen Camry.

The planning for the next phase of touring car racing in this country needs to be already underway. The catagory should also be 100% transparent to the fanbase on where they're heading with it.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 10:57 (Ref:3796576)   #140
simonracer
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
simonracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The NZV8's haven't had more than 10 cars show up for their last two rounds between their two classes, so I think their cars being outdated is the least of their problems.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 12:21 (Ref:3796583)   #141
Umai Naa
Veteran

That bad, huh?
Old 29 Jan 2018, 12:31 (Ref:3796586)   #142
Mixer
Veteran

The internal politics is poison over there

Old 29 Jan 2018, 13:32 (Ref:3796600)   #143
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
If sedans end up constituting only a tiny/rare/niche segment of vehicle sales, then the elephant in the room must be "what is the future of touring cars"?
Why not run coupes?

The legacy of Skylines (DR30-R32), BMWs (635i, M3), Supra, RX7, Starion, Falcon hardtop etc in the class suggests coupes are considered more than acceptable for touring car racing.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 13:37 (Ref:3796603)   #144
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The problem we now have, is whilst everyone wants V8s, they also want cars that are RWD and V8-powered, and Ford Vs Holden.
Says who!?

What's wrong with Mercdes vs BMW (vs Audi vs Lexus), given that it is Mercedes and BMW and co who are actually selling V8 (sometimes plus twin-turbo to boot!) sedans?

Why should Holden --without a suitable vehicle -- be allowed to compete and thus discourage prestige premium marques, who do not want to race against value-priced marques?
Old 29 Jan 2018, 13:42 (Ref:3796604)   #145
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Supercars has a horrible lack of foresight.

It was clear already in 2007: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98615 that Falcon vs Commodore only was an unacceptable format...
Old 29 Jan 2018, 13:56 (Ref:3796607)   #146
Umai Naa
Veteran

The great unwashed, want something that is unsustainable.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 02:31 (Ref:3796758)   #147
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
like LNG or even LPG is surprising.
And we sell most of that overseas for less than we pay for it as well!
Old 30 Jan 2018, 02:45 (Ref:3796760)   #148
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
And we sell most of that overseas for less than we pay for it as well!
Most of the volume of LPG used for domestic Australian consumption is actually imported, coming from the US.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 03:14 (Ref:3796762)   #149
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Most of the volume of LPG used for domestic Australian consumption is actually imported, coming from the US.
We have one gas plant in Darwin which exports all to Asia and another plant much larger coming on line to do the same.
Our governments sell the lot off for a pittance.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 04:28 (Ref:3796770)   #150
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Why not run coupes?

The legacy of Skylines (DR30-R32), BMWs (635i, M3), Supra, RX7, Starion, Falcon hardtop etc in the class suggests coupes are considered more than acceptable for touring car racing.
That might work, if there's some resemblance or direct lineage to the dual-cab ute or SUV Joe Public or a potential race fan might have parked in their driveway.

The seismic shift in the public's vehicle buying preferences towards these SUV-type vehicles will otherwise surely mean the end of racing anything equivalent to their road vehicles out on the track.

Unless we're set to see SUV's, etc lumbering and rolling around Bathurst, etc as part of our 'premier series' in the future?