Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Apr 2013, 01:43 (Ref:3234322)   #151
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Knowlesy, you made an interesting comment about the second seat being wasted for some teams in another thread.

I can't help but feel that by virtue of the tires/rules the second seat is being wasted by all the q3 teams. Merc took the unusual step of stacking their stop and Ferrari should have done the same. You do your best in Q3 and start on the used softs with a full fuel load and when the tires drop of suddenly after six laps taking the extra lap, as Massa did, and your race gets immediately compromised.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 09:58 (Ref:3234485)   #152
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well indeed. Although the problem Ferrari had was that Massa was right behind Alonso, so perhaps the net loss of time between staying out a lap/stacking was no different. Or maybe they just weren't clever enough to do so, it is unusual under racing conditions after all.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 16:02 (Ref:3234721)   #153
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst I appreciate what Pirelli have been tasked to do as per ensuring a multi pit stop race, I can't see how under these terms it's in their interest to be in F1. It certainly doesn't help persuade me to buy Pirelli tyres next time I need to change them, because rightly or wrongly the perception this F1 situation gives is that Pirelli tyres aren't durable.

Now I like most others on this forum know this is the not the case, that actually Pirelli tyres aren't any worse than most other brands out there. But as a promotional campaign targeting the wider public who need replacement tyres, I can't see how it's of any benefit to their brand whatsoever.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3234891)   #154
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool View Post
But as a promotional campaign targeting the wider public who need replacement tyres, I can't see how it's of any benefit to their brand whatsoever.
I think that Pirelli are making it plain to everyone about what they have been asked to do with regard to its supply of tyres to F1. It certainly didn't do Michelin any harm when it failed to supply a safe tyre for the teams to use at the Indy GP in 05.

Ironically, Pirelli have also been asked by the FIA to supply a much more durable tyre for rookies to use in Friday practice sessions from the Spanish GP onwards.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 21:32 (Ref:3234896)   #155
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You really do dine out on that one GP Michelin got it wrong don't you?
Old 15 Apr 2013, 22:02 (Ref:3234911)   #156
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Pirelli and teams please wait til after Borecelona to bring longer lasting rubber. That race needs the current tyres to spice up one of the dullest rounds in the calendar!
Old 16 Apr 2013, 01:04 (Ref:3234984)   #157
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
You really do dine out on that one GP Michelin got it wrong don't you?
Because it's the reason that we no longer have tyre wars. Michelin made a tyre that was unsafe at high speed, and that's a no-no. But not only that, they also had 'shipped in' another tyre that was supposed to be safer, only for it to be declared just as unsafe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Pirelli and teams please wait til after Borecelona to bring longer lasting rubber. That race needs the current tyres to spice up one of the dullest rounds in the calendar!
Pirelli are only taking a more durable tyre to the Spanish GP for 'rookies' to use in Friday practice.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 01:10 (Ref:3234989)   #158
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
It is said that Pirelli will supply more durable tyres from the Spanish Grand Prix.
See above.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 01:10 (Ref:3234990)   #159
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Curiously, while Bridgestone advertised constantly that they supplied tyres to F1, I have not seen a single advert here in the States from Michelin noting that they are now the official supplier.

Probably not a bad idea...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 09:24 (Ref:3235167)   #160
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I don't think that is the reason we have no tyre war though. I think it is more to do with the reduction in testing. It is also a convenient method of controlling corner speeds.

If they jacked off a tyre war because of one race I would be saddened as it is incredibly knee-jerk and stupid. Michelin got it wrong, it happens. Heck, Goodyear got it badly wrong at Indy in NASCAR 2008, ruining a race just as badly as Michelin did, but they get along fine.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 09:44 (Ref:3235184)   #161
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
From what I remember of the 2005 Indy fiasco, the track had been re-surfaced earlier in the year, and from Firestone's connection with Bridgestone, they were aware of this and brought the required changed tyre, however Michelin did not have this information and was working off the 2004 data.

Off topic slightly, but I would like to see a rear tyre with a wider slip angle. If they can make tyres that fall apart, then i'm sure they could make a tyre with a lower slip drop off.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 09:59 (Ref:3235195)   #162
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yeah, the surface had just been diamond cut which made the track a hell of a lot grippier.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 10:57 (Ref:3235224)   #163
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
The biggest reason for the tyre failures were the 2005 regulations, which didn't allow tyres to be changed during the race. It also doesn't explain why the other tyres flown in that were supposed to be of stronger construction were also unsuitable. Why didn't Michelin bring those tyres in the first place? And just how unsuitable for racing were the original tyres that failed?

But it's also true that the FIA were not on good terms with the Michelin because of the previous Michelin tyre fiasco of 2003. Or was it the Bridgestone tyre fiasco? At any rate it caused a lot of fuss for all of the wrong reasons.

At least we can say some things about the current tyre situation and that is that the tyres are safe (they won't fail at high speeds) and are not breaking any regulations (not regulated by anything other than the need to fit on 13" rims). And for this season at least, they are preventing one car with huge amounts of downforce from making every other team look very ordinary indeed.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 12:51 (Ref:3235282)   #164
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC View Post
Curiously, while Bridgestone advertised constantly that they supplied tyres to F1, I have not seen a single advert here in the States from Michelin noting that they are now the official supplier.

Probably not a bad idea...
Michelin ?
Old 16 Apr 2013, 14:53 (Ref:3235337)   #165
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is absolutely nonsense that the standardized tyres are a consequence of the 2005 United States debacle. In fact, the FIA had the intention to introduce the so-called control tyre since 2004. And if the 2005 United States debacle had anything to do with the ending of the tyre war, why did the FIA change the regulations to prevent a repeat after the tyres were standardized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Because it's the reason that we no longer have tyre wars. Michelin made a tyre that was unsafe at high speed, and that's a no-no. But not only that, they also had 'shipped in' another tyre that was supposed to be safer, only for it to be declared just as unsafe!
I am wondering why Formula 1 have not standardized their suspension yet then.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 16:01 (Ref:3235367)   #166
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool View Post
Whilst I appreciate what Pirelli have been tasked to do as per ensuring a multi pit stop race, I can't see how under these terms it's in their interest to be in F1. It certainly doesn't help persuade me to buy Pirelli tyres next time I need to change them, because rightly or wrongly the perception this F1 situation gives is that Pirelli tyres aren't durable.
I didn't need F1 to get me off of Pirelli tyres, the wife eating up a set of Z rated on her Merc in no time convinced me to never buy them again. What has been happening on track only confirms my opinion that they are rubbish if one expects at least a tad of durability in a road tyre.

Sorry Marbot on whatever effect my boycott has on your Pirelli investments.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 18:28 (Ref:3235430)   #167
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
Old 16 Apr 2013, 21:55 (Ref:3235510)   #168
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
It is absolutely nonsense that the standardized tyres are a consequence of the 2005 United States debacle.
OK.

Quote:
In fact, the FIA had the intention to introduce the so-called control tyre since 2004.
Maybe because of something that happened in 2003?

Quote:
And if the 2005 United States debacle had anything to do with the ending of the tyre war, why did the FIA change the regulations to prevent a repeat after the tyres were standardized?
?

For the following year the regulations were changed so that the tyres didn't have to last for a whole race distance whilst there was competition between more than one tyre manufacturer.

Quote:
I am wondering why Formula 1 have not standardized their suspension yet then.
I'm wondering that too. It would save a cart load of money on something that just connects the wheels to the car. Perhaps they could just make a safer one, rather than ones that perform better?
Old 16 Apr 2013, 22:23 (Ref:3235522)   #169
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
I didn't need F1 to get me off of Pirelli tyres, the wife eating up a set of Z rated on her Merc in no time convinced me to never buy them again. What has been happening on track only confirms my opinion that they are rubbish if one expects at least a tad of durability in a road tyre.

No investments.

The Pirelli run-flats on the wifes Cooper S - FANTASTICO!

IIRC, Pirelli tyres are fitted as standard to Mercs. Is your wife driving the safety car this season?
Old 16 Apr 2013, 23:31 (Ref:3235547)   #170
Spritle
Veteran

Quote:
No investments.
Board of Directors perhaps...

Quote:
The Pirelli run-flats on the wifes Cooper S - FANTASTICO!

IIRC, Pirelli tyres are fitted as standard to Mercs. Is your wife driving the safety car this season?
No, but she is driving an AMG!
Old 17 Apr 2013, 00:15 (Ref:3235561)   #171
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

So can your wife drive?

Scott dump those shares..
Old 17 Apr 2013, 00:39 (Ref:3235564)   #172
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Michelin ?
I am old and my brain can only retain so much information! Pirelli/Michelin/US Bald Eagle Slidemasters....
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 17 Apr 2013, 12:59 (Ref:3235790)   #173
Spritle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
So can your wife drive?
The mental stress I think would be pretty difficult for a lady to deal with in a practical fashion. I just don't think they have the aptitude...

...hmmm, where did I heard that before?
Old 17 Apr 2013, 13:01 (Ref:3235793)   #174
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
The mental stress I think would be pretty difficult for a lady to deal with in a practical fashion. I just don't think they have the aptitude...

...hmmm, where did I heard that before?
Old 18 Apr 2013, 11:10 (Ref:3236141)   #175
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hankook apparently was very close to securing the tender for 2011-2013. Now there's talk about Hankook being the F1 tyre supplier for 2014-2016!

Have had Hankook on my road car and my track car, and was impressed with their road tyres. Their track tyres were... ok.