Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Aug 2009, 08:10 (Ref:2522801)   #176
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Terry,It was at least as good this year despite the umbrella management team being changed at last second.
Goodwood Revival started well after Silverstone was in full stride and if you remember BRDC messed up about eight years ago when Fitz left and only made a come back four years ago.In the intervening years Coys had a go at Rockingham which was a bit of a cock up.
This lot is a new venture and cannot count on Shell Historics and Sponsorship as in a previous life.
Quite agree,but just what is it that the punters think is soo special about GW? What with the restrictions to paddock access etc I do not understand the 'pull' to it.I would have thought that its always good practice to have a team in place who have been there done that?People who understand how these things are improved are few and far between purely because of the fact that SC is successfull.It will be interesting ,in the not too distant future, to see what happens when the country is in a happier position.
I think the key as far as the racing is concerned is to wipe the board clean,mark up the races that were seen to be popular,WSC ect and capitalise on those types of races to creat the big punter attraction.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2522806)   #177
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Goodwood is a brilliantly run theme park with cars being bit players.It's whimsy garden party fancy dress thing.

It panders to the stereotypical England of 20's,30's,50's,early 60's.(Not if you were born in a pit village!)

No one else can replicate it nor should they.It's a great party but don't confuse it with grass routes historic motorsport.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 09:02 (Ref:2522816)   #178
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not for one moment suggesting it should be replicated,ones enough!
Old 17 Aug 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2523100)   #179
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some observations, in no particular order, the getting in and setting up was complicated slightly by running a test day at the same time but any gripes pale into insignificance compared to getting into the Oldtimer - the worst I heard of was 4 hours from the entrance to the paddock, Michael Schryver had a more modest 2 hour wait - so really cant fault Silverstone! The later touring cars looked great (and made one realise how poor the current BTCC cars look and sound) but more are needed to realise the potential. If the circuit is thought to look boring I can tell you it is one of the very best to drive on - if you ever get the chance to race on it take it, it offers almost every challenge and has GP safety standards as well. I thought it the best Classic for years and it deserves to prosper!
Old 17 Aug 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2523128)   #180
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Putting my Spectator hat on Goodwood is far better as the raised grass banks give a commanding view yet you are still very close to the action wheras at Silverstone you always appear to be miles away from the track. Also the wire fencing is a constant pain if you're trying to take photo's.

Having said that the faffing about at GW moving spectators at certain places whilst the air displays are on is extremely frustrating and downright annoying if you put the effort it to arrive early and pick a spot only for someone else to jump in during the (often dangerous) stampede when the ropes are lifted.

Other than that I see no other reason why GW attracts the punters other than the fact that its a lot prettier than Silverstone and the dressing up mlarcky.

Back in the Coys days we had a group of about 25 of us who would attend the meeting from start to finish. The first few years were great but then offialdom started to take hold and year after year we had increasing difficulty getting in, parking, camping etc etc to the point where we gave up as it just wasn't worth the hassle. Went to the Rockingham event but that was a farce from a spectators point of view. Went to last years SC on just 1 day which was ok but just didn't have the atmosphere of the old meetings. Simply couldn't afford to go this year.

I can't comment on GW as I've not competed there but Silverstone always appears to me to be anti clubman and full of busybodies who have no idea what they're doing but seemingly out to make your life a misery.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 17 Aug 2009, 18:18 (Ref:2523154)   #181
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
The later touring cars looked great (and made one realise how poor the current BTCC cars look and sound) but more are needed to realise the potential.
These were late entries really weren't they because of the lack of ST cars, however the pics remind me of the ETCC races I watched there (and at Brands) when I had hair. Certainly (I know JR disagrees) but a mixed grid of Grp 1 and 2 cars would be historically accurate for a race. And there's definitely enough cars to put it on if the dates don't clash and its planned in advance.

Quote:
If the circuit is thought to look boring I can tell you it is one of the very best to drive on - if you ever get the chance to race on it take it, it offers almost every challenge and has GP safety standards as well.
Absolutely.

Quote:
I thought it the best Classic for years and it deserves to prosper!
Wasn't there but still good to read this.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 07:35 (Ref:2523500)   #182
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Keep getting these comments about viewing at Siverstone.Whats wrong with complex and Stowe?End of Copse and Becketts were reasonable.

Of course it is important to have a major Historic Festival at UK's premier circuit .
Don't understand the don't give a sh.. attitude on the Festivals survival.
It's way better than present Oldtimers so could be considered the best annual event anywhere even in it's present form without polish that will be added ,hopefully,for next year.

If the Messrs Hadfieds,Turner ,etc judge it to be one of the best places to be at the end of July for Old Time Racing what else do you want.Tinker with the programme and change outer paddock.Ian to explain where his truck is and paint Delta on side rather than on unit ,then hide unit behind a tent and flags.

Not much wrong and you never know Tel and his mate from the flat lands of Doha may show up.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 09:31 (Ref:2523549)   #183
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Silverstone IS a vast place, to walk round, and take pictures at. Sometimes it can feel like you are all alone, at the far end, with no spectators anywhere.

I know of a dozen excellent photo spots, without a fence in shot... No, I'm NOT telling you! However, there IS a big slot in the fence down at Club...

The Classic itself was improved, for me, this year, by the lack of the FIA Formula One series. They seemed to be semi permanently on track, and after a while, I took their arrival as a chance to wander the paddock. Something I didn't get nearly enough of, this year, sadly. If I had, I might have found that elusive Delta BBQ!
Old 18 Aug 2009, 09:39 (Ref:2523556)   #184
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
there has been talk of lack of driver/crew hospitality... the marquee by the podium was fine..... I agree a Scarf and Goggles would be a good inclusion for next year but I dont think we can complain with what was on offer....

So it seems the general conclusion was that those who went to watch and/or compete generally thought it was a success and look forward to more of the same with a few tweaks and those who didn't go thought it was not so good - or is that the other place that think that!!!
Old 18 Aug 2009, 10:34 (Ref:2523592)   #185
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The other place.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 13:23 (Ref:2523703)   #186
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Of course it is important to have a major Historic Festival at UK's premier circuit .
Don't understand the don't give a sh.. attitude on the Festivals survival.
Yes it is vital that Silverstone maintains its position as the venue for the UK's top historic racing festival. As John has pointed out Goodwood is a different kettle of fish.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 17:59 (Ref:2523841)   #187
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that really is disappointing to read! Quote John Turner.
I am sorry John, for all the hard working clubs, officials, marshals not to mention the midnight oil burners etc etc the Classic deserves to succeed. It is the bitterness I feel towards 'The Management' or Miss- would be a better word that has taken place in a blinkered approach to promoting one race meeting to the detriment to all others, just to appease one man, and the back stabbing along the way. I am convinced the Donington debacle lies in that direction also in an attempt to bring the 'Blazers' to heel. As I posted earlier I enjoyed the W/E immensely and the meeting has come a long way from the first 'classic' I walked into a very large marquee with 2 former F1 drivers sat at a table and nothing else in the place, twiddling their thumbs waiting for the 'crowds' to arrive for autographs on various items, Free as well! that alone would be enough to upset one of two; [previous experience tells!;] Still think it needs the Beckett touch.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 18:40 (Ref:2523868)   #188
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, now that you have put it into context, I understand. You will appreciate that it didn't read that way in your post.