Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Aug 2009, 16:58 (Ref:2523811)   #1
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
See Red, VSCC, Donington 5/6-9-09

Regs are out and it seems to be an action packed weekend.

I will let someone more computer literate than I post the list
Old 20 Aug 2009, 08:38 (Ref:2524870)   #2
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Regs are out and it seems to be an action packed weekend.

I will let someone more computer literate than I post the list
The Seaman Trophies Race Meeting
Saturday/Sunday 5-6 September
DONINGTON PARK, Leicestershire

VSCC SeeRed at 70 to be held at Donington Park over the weekend of 5-6 September 2009 is shaping up to be a memorable weekend and is the official ‘curtain closing’ meeting of the current Donington circuit before it is closed for re-development for the 2010 British Grand Prix.
Many headline series are supporting the meeting including Motor Racing Legends Pre-war Sports-Cars, BRDC 50s SportsCars, GT and Sports Car Cup, RAC Woodcote Trophy and the U2TC series. Come and enjoy a high profile race meeting with the relaxed atmosphere of a Vintage Sports-Car Club event.

*STOP PRESS: Sir Stirling Moss will be racing the Royal Automobile Club Woodcote Trophy on Saturday 5 September*
Saturday 5 September
Gates Open: 08:00 hrs
Practice Commences: 09.00 hrs
Lunch Break: 12:50 – 13:50 hrs
First race: 13:50 hrs
Racing will end at approximately 19:00 hrs.

Races on Saturday include (not to be run in this order);
BRDC 1950s SportsCars (1 Hour race for two seater Sports-cars built before 1960)
Race for Pre-war Frazer Nash and GN Cars (6 laps for Pre 1941 Frazer Nash and GN Sports and Racing Cars)
U2TC (1 Hour race for 1963-1965 European Touring Cars)
Royal Automobile Club Woodcote Trophy (1 Hour race for post-war genuine sports-racers built before the end of 1955)
Vintage Sports-Car Club Ladies Race (6 laps for Sports-Cars built before 1941)
Motor Racing Legends Pre-war Sports-Cars (1 hour/ Two driver race for Pre 1941 Sports-Cars)

Sunday 6 September
Gates Open: 08:00 hrs
Practice Commences: 09:00 hrs
Lunch Break: 12:30 – 13:30 hrs
First race: 13:30 hrs
Racing will end at approximately 17.30 hrs.

Races on Sunday include (not to be run in this order);
Vintage Sports-Car Club Vintage Seaman Trophy (10 laps for Pre 1931 Racing Cars)
Vintage Sports-Car Club Williams Trophy (8 laps for Pre 1934 two seater Grand prix Cars) sponsored by Ivan Dutton Bugatti
Vintage Sports-Car Club1950s Sports-Cars (12 laps divided into drum & disc brake classes)
Vintage Sports-Car Club Special Sports-Cars (8 laps for Pre 1941 Sports-Cars classified as ‘Specials’).
Vintage Sports-Car Club Standard and Modified Sports-Cars (8 laps for Pre 1941 Sports-Cars that are classified ‘Standard’ or ‘Modified’).
Vintage Sports-Car Club Historic Seaman and Flockhart Memorial Trophies Race (12 laps for Post 1931 – 1958 Front Engined Racing Cars).
X 2 Vintage Sports-Car Club Scratch Race (5 laps for Pre 1941 Racing and Sports-Cars)
X 2 Vintage Sports-Car Club Handicap Race (5 laps for Pre 1941 Racing and Sports-Cars)

* All times are subject to change and the VSCC cannot be held responsible for possible timing changes*
Racing Preview as of Wednesday 19 August 2009

No less than six ERAs in the Historic Seaman and Flockhart Trophies Race as well as Charles McCabe’s Maserati 250F and Hubert Fabri’s Aston Martin DBR4/4. There are also five Cooper Bristol entries and the legendary Keift Grand Prix Car will be making a rare appearance.
A bumper grid for the popular Standard and Modified Sports-Cars grid for Pre-war Sports-Cars.
1950s Sports-Cars can enjoy a weekend double header by participating in the BRDC 1950s SportsCars race on Saturday 5 September and in the VSCC 1950s Sports-Cars (12 laps) on Sunday 6. So far eleven ‘Listers’ in various guises will grace the grid for the BRDC Race alongside Mary Smiths glorious Maserati T61 ‘Birdcage’. The recently restored 1954 Kieft Desosto Sports has been flown in especially from Australia to compete in the VSCC event; this will be a real moment of history as this will be the first time the car, a long time labour of love of the late, great Bill Morris, has ever taken to the track.
A well supported VSCC Ladies Race; entries are now into the mid twenties for this inaugural event celebrating the fact that the VSCC has so many enthusiastic female racers. The grid features a wide a varied grid of Pre-war Sports-Cars such Alex Pilkington’s 1930 Alfa Romeo 6C and Sue Darbyshire’s 1929 Morgan Super Aero.
The Frazer Nash Race moves to Donington Park from Cadwell Park: and enthusiasm amongst ‘Nash racers is high. The grid is nearly full of ‘chain gangers’ and the race will be one of the most thrilling of the weekend.
The VSCC Williams Trophy Race, sponsored by Ivan Dutton Bugatti is open to Pre 1934 two seater Grand Prix cars; many exotic Bugattis and Alfa Romeos have been attracted to this superb race.
Motor Racing Legends are pleased to announce full grids for the Royal Automobile Club Woodcote Trophy (for post-war genuine sports-racers built before the end of 1955) and their Pre-war Sports-Car race (a two driver 1 hour race).
The U2TC grid will attract a superb line up of 1963-1965 Touring Cars which competed in the European Touring Car Championship in period. Typically grids are made up of Alfa Romeos, Lotus Cortinas, BMWs etc.
The GT and SportsCar Cup enjoy their third event of the year; this race is 1 hour in duration for Pre-66 GTs & Pre-63 Sports Cars that were raced in the World Endurance championship in period. This grid attracts some superb fields commonly made up of Austin Healeys, Lotuses, Cooper Bobtails, MGBs amongst many more.
VSCC Racers can also enjoy the race for Special Pre-war Sports-Cars and the Vintage Seaman Trophy for Pre-1931 Racing Cars.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 20:10 (Ref:2528145)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It's interesting that there are 120 comments for an 89 car meeting at Donington and two for a meeting with twice as many cars two weeks later.Not a judgement call but when it was suggested that we start a thread about Pre War racing I thought there would be little or no response and this I think confirms it.Pity there is not a wider audience on the forum.Not knocking just an observation.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 06:51 (Ref:2528337)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John,

1) I think it inevitable that more people will identify with post war cars than pre war cars simply because of what they grew up with and remember.

2) Many probably won't realise that this is in fact the 'See Red' meeting and that it includes some races for post war cars, unless they have read Chris post above, so I have added that to the thread title. And here's a link to the site:-

http://www.vscc.co.uk/vsccweb/events/event.jsp?id=497

3) We've already had the Donington meeting so there was more to talk about, as it's actually happened!

I might actually get to the first day of this meeting.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 07:14 (Ref:2528347)   #5
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

More to talk about for very few people,Think the chaps pay them per line printed.That's sarcasm and yes it is the lowest form of wit!
Donington,It's for all types of car as described in the post.
I have never been a lover of VSCC specials that seem to develop a history of their own as they get older.Should be three classes,original,old specials,new specials.
Highlight should be the ladies only on Saturday,it's war,we are backing Mag's
We will be at Gstaad Rally so will miss it but the Bishops mate Declan and the Alta will be there on Sunday in one of Legends race.The Flav and Vanessa Race is one of the best series in Historics and they do police the cars more than most organisers.
You lot with your Pre 63 things should enter,perhaps a Turner or two if there is space.Our newly acquired ex Le Mans Harrington Alpine will not be ready,we needed a slow car,snail pace for me.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 07:54 (Ref:2528359)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
More to talk about for very few people,Think the chaps pay them per line printed.That's sarcasm and yes it is the lowest form of wit!
Well, behave then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
I have never been a lover of VSCC specials that seem to develop a history of their own as they get older.Should be three classes,original,old specials,new specials.
Yes, sounds about right. I don't have a problem with specials as long as they are not described as anything else. Some of the 'old specials' have quite a history of their own, though.

Quote:
Highlight should be the ladies only on Saturday, it's war, we are backing Mag's
Don't know about 'highlight' but will certainly cheer her on!

Quote:
You lot with your Pre 63 things should enter,perhaps a Turner or two if there is space. Our newly acquired ex Le Mans Harrington Alpine will not be ready,we needed a slow car,snail pace for me.
I can see a pre 60 but not a pre 63 race, John. Latest acquisition noted!
Old 26 Aug 2009, 11:23 (Ref:2528476)   #7
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Looking forward to racing Jim's Lotus 17. JT stop worrying about JR I'm chomping at the bit waiting for Classic report.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 11:47 (Ref:2528492)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Will be there Friday pm and Saturday. Looking forward to having a good look round the really old stuff and watching their intrepid pilots! Also giving support to James Paterson (Lotus 11) in the BRDC race and keeping fingers crossed his S'stone Classic gremlins are banished!
Old 27 Aug 2009, 07:13 (Ref:2529018)   #9
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It's interesting that there are 120 comments for an 89 car meeting at Donington and two for a meeting with twice as many cars two weeks later.Not a judgement call but when it was suggested that we start a thread about Pre War racing I thought there would be little or no response and this I think confirms it.Pity there is not a wider audience on the forum.Not knocking just an observation.
VSCC meetings rarely get the "publicity" they deserve here or in the weekly motoring press, perhaps they do not court publicity as they have so many meetings, competitors and even dedicated spectators and marshals. As for the "other" meeting mentioned they make lot of noise about the meetings but always fail to deliver regarding grid sizes.

Peraps the VSCC have the format right, plenty of short races with an odd "endurace" race thrown in and lots of competitors, the Masters format of long races for every one seems to restrict the entry level. An ineresting comparrison of meetings just a few weekends apart.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 07:23 (Ref:2529025)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
John I was totally up for this meeting sent my entry fee for the GT race back in April. My mistake was that I didn't realize that all of this was subject to a final beauty parade in August and then if they are sufficiently over subscribed to pick and choose they decide the grid. Personally I think the Masters and HSCC system of first come first serve (so long as you qualify) is a fairer system.....
After that my interest waned - especially as I had a Goodwood invitation for the same car in the interim!!!!
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:00 (Ref:2529046)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

So the race is oversubscribed.Thought there were spaces.Assume you will have to get the Turner known before it is accepted without difficulty at events.
It ,with the conductor, will fit in well at Goodwood!
Six spaces available in ladies race but need a Pre War car.
Now eleven postings for a meeting which is so much better supported than the previous Masters Historic event two weeks ago.Shows imbalance on this forum or could it be six people just blowing bubbles on other thread.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:04 (Ref:2529049)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was good enough for them in May when they needed the places!
Either do it by invitation or first come first serve - dont take entries as put options...
Old 27 Aug 2009, 09:29 (Ref:2529106)   #13
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Simon,I agree and make it known beforehand.Organisers mistake.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 09:54 (Ref:2529116)   #14
simon drabble
Veteran

I will assume it an oversight and hopefully a point they have taken on board.... maybe next year I will be in a more interesting car for them
Old 27 Aug 2009, 12:00 (Ref:2529195)   #15
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
VSCC meetings rarely get the "publicity" they deserve here or in the weekly motoring press, perhaps they do not court publicity as they have so many meetings, competitors and even dedicated spectators and marshals. As for the "other" meeting mentioned they make lot of noise about the meetings but always fail to deliver regarding grid sizes.

Peraps the VSCC have the format right, plenty of short races with an odd "endurace" race thrown in and lots of competitors, the Masters format of long races for every one seems to restrict the entry level. An ineresting comparrison of meetings just a few weekends apart.

I'm sure the VSCC will be interested to read the above as, from a member's point of view, they actively seek publicity for their meetings. I know that local advertising is sometimes difficult due to restrictions put in place by circuit owners which sounds odd but was indeed the case.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 12:52 (Ref:2529233)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

I have to say that as a member they have the best members magazine.... and I am a member of an embaressingly large amount of car related clubs!
Old 27 Aug 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2529258)   #17
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They have a very good eligibility list for the early cars but does one exist for the sports cars?

I'm assuming the Turner is eligible Simon?
Old 27 Aug 2009, 13:41 (Ref:2529269)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

it surely is - it has an enviable history in world endurance races..... punched way above its weight in period including Sebring.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 18:22 (Ref:2529421)   #19
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I have to say that as a member they have the best members magazine..
Certainly concur with that statement.

Nice to see a Malory Park report in Autosport this week, lets hope the trend streches to more VSCC meetings.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 20:52 (Ref:2529513)   #20
Enrico Spaggiari
Rookie

Italy
Verona , Italy
Enrico Spaggiari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will race in the Seaman-Flockart Throphies race with a Cooper-Bristol .
See you there !!!
Old 27 Aug 2009, 22:12 (Ref:2529593)   #21
Yorkie 'S'
Rookie

England
Leeds
Yorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am racing with the Mini in the U2TC Race - seemingly 25 entries so far including 4 Mini's, only one of which I believe will be racing in the St Marys at Goodwood.

looking forward to the meeting very much - some of the first meetings my father took me too as a boy were VSCC meetings at Oulton Park and Cadwell, which got me hooked - I never thought I would be racing though :-)
Old 1 Sep 2009, 19:14 (Ref:2532668)   #22
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Seaman Trophies Race Meeting
Saturday/Sunday 5-6 September
DONINGTON PARK, Leicestershire [Quote Chris Roden]
No provisional timetable/final instructions out yet I take it?
Old 1 Sep 2009, 20:14 (Ref:2532732)   #23
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The boy with the Alta and 10/10ths sticker will be there if we can find some 18x6 Dunlops.They don't seem to have any and we need 6 to service two cars.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 07:17 (Ref:2532915)   #24
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure I have a timetable for this weekend. I'll e mail it if you PM your address.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2533076)   #25
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While we are chatting about the See Red weekend, the VSCC are DESPERATELY short of marshals, even with little or no experience, you or your friends would be very welcome to come and get free entry etc, just phone the office on 01608 644777.

Simon, I'm sorry if they bumped you from the grid, sounds a bit mean, however I understand that they have long memories and try to right 'wrongs' so a polite note with your next entry reminding them that you were refused despite an early entry should help next time.

I cannot get cover for my partner for the weekend so I can neither enter my car nor marshal, but I may be able to drag her along as a spectator.

Mike

Steve McQueen.