Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jan 2021, 13:59 (Ref:4026705)   #2601
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yes, we are still waiting to see what takes Vietnam's slot

I never understood why a Vietnamese GP was proposed in the first place and why replace it? Does F1 really need 23 races?
Old 4 Jan 2021, 14:00 (Ref:4026706)   #2602
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Delete.
Old 4 Jan 2021, 14:22 (Ref:4026711)   #2603
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Has anyone else read or heard anything about the Australian GP being postponed?

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...XSmqG04JZio8_Q
Old 4 Jan 2021, 15:35 (Ref:4026731)   #2604
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Yeah, it's being discussed on the 2021 thread. Not that there is much to discuss, sadly.
Old 4 Jan 2021, 16:13 (Ref:4026742)   #2605
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I never understood why a Vietnamese GP was proposed in the first place and why replace it? Does F1 really need 23 races?

I agree that we don’t need 23 races. It should quality, not quantity
Old 4 Jan 2021, 19:32 (Ref:4026793)   #2606
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Has anyone else read or heard anything about the Australian GP being postponed?

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...XSmqG04JZio8_Q
The race will not take place this year.

There is a very good chance the last Formula One AGP for many years to come was held in 2019.
Old 4 Jan 2021, 21:29 (Ref:4026826)   #2607
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
The race will not take place this year.

There is a very good chance the last Formula One AGP for many years to come was held in 2019.
It's contracted until 2025.
Old 4 Jan 2021, 23:58 (Ref:4026859)   #2608
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
It's contracted until 2025.
Yeah but contracts are broken or cancelled all the time.

Usimng Covid as the get out a cost vs benefit analysis will be at the forefront of this one methimks
Old 12 Jan 2021, 17:44 (Ref:4028476)   #2609
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are problems for this tears Brazilian GB as a judge has suspended the contract in court.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...ended-by-judge
Old 13 Jan 2021, 09:54 (Ref:4028650)   #2610
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Saw that. It's only temporary at the moment. We'll see how this situation develops
Old 14 Jan 2021, 09:28 (Ref:4028923)   #2611
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hmm I posted in the 21 thread about the races that are at risk. I probably should have posted it here 🤦

Talk is that Monaco, Baku and Montreal are 50-50 at the moment.

If they cannot happen I assume that Istanbul Park, Nurby and Mugello (the other 3 of 5 European back up tracks used last year) will fill in?

The US and Latin rounds would also be fluid as things stand but what circuits would substitute for those 3 rounds?

More European ones like Aragon, Jerez, or some in the Middle East like Losail, Dubai or Kuwait?

Or will we see 2 races at the same venue again such as A1, Sillystone and Bahrain?
Old 14 Jan 2021, 10:55 (Ref:4028943)   #2612
S griffin
Veteran

Hopefully we don't have duplicate races like last year
Old 14 Jan 2021, 13:51 (Ref:4028977)   #2613
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

The second race at Bahrain was superb. If double headers are needed again, I hope they do the same again at Bahrain.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 14:07 (Ref:4028984)   #2614
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
The most interesting part of the Autosport article:

Quote:
The true nature of the Sao Paulo financial support has subsequently become clear in legal documents that revealed how much the city is paying, namely 20m Reals (£2.7m) per year over the five years of the deal.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 15:43 (Ref:4029019)   #2615
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Frankly, I found them fascinating. It may be better in general to have a regular calendar with a different circuit each time. But I think the back to back weekends were great. And even better if they were able to incorporate slight circuit variations between weeks.

Richard
Old 14 Jan 2021, 15:52 (Ref:4029026)   #2616
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Frankly, I found them fascinating. It may be better in general to have a regular calendar with a different circuit each time. But I think the back to back weekends were great. And even better if they were able to incorporate slight circuit variations between weeks.

Richard

Problem is it was only supposed to be a temporary solution and I wouldn’t want it to happen again. You’re right, it is better in general to have different circuits in general. After all, it would probably get boring if you raced at say your local kart track all the time. You’d want to experience different ones. Even if some circuits are more fun than others, I think having say Spa or Monaco once a year just adds to the event
Old 14 Jan 2021, 15:54 (Ref:4029030)   #2617
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, i also thought the double headers were great and very successful both in terms of protecting the health of circus but also a great experiment in showcasing the evolution of a race car not just over one GP weekend at a time but by tangibly connecting race weekends by virtue of being on a same track again the following weekend.

add in some variables like a different layout and a different set of tire compounds and we were treated to some great races last year.

for my money, i would like to see at least one back to back at the same venue become a permanent fixture on the calendar.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 16:22 (Ref:4029038)   #2618
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I’m with you.

This year they will have to make compromises and last minute changes again. Hopefully they can be as successful, in the circumstances, as they were last year.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 16:49 (Ref:4029049)   #2619
S griffin
Veteran

I don’t think they will need to cut it as much as last year. So therefore hopefully no more back to backs duplicates. It was fine as a temporary solution, but not in the future. I don’t think it’s right that a venue should get more than one GP for the sake of it
Old 14 Jan 2021, 17:54 (Ref:4029068)   #2620
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I don’t think they will need to cut it as much as last year. So therefore hopefully no more back to backs duplicates. It was fine as a temporary solution, but not in the future. I don’t think it’s right that a venue should get more than one GP for the sake of it

It isn't for the sake of it. The double headers were there to ensure there was a minimum number of races in order for the season to go ahead.
Old 14 Jan 2021, 23:05 (Ref:4029130)   #2621
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
It isn't for the sake of it. The double headers were there to ensure there was a minimum number of races in order for the season to go ahead.

I never said they were added for the sake of it, I said they shouldn’t be added for the sake of it
Old 15 Jan 2021, 06:38 (Ref:4029156)   #2622
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Why don't you think there will be as many cuts this year?

he current state of the pandemic around the globe and the differing regional quarantine or infection levels strongly points toward significant changes to the calendar.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 06:47 (Ref:4029159)   #2623
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Think it’s called a pragmatic decision on number of GP’s.
The people involved need a minimum number of races to meet the contractual commitments and if a double header gets the job done so be it.
It’s not that big deal.
You may have noticed the world has a bit of a problem and it’s not going away in near future.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 07:41 (Ref:4029161)   #2624
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I too enjoyed the double headers, they brought a different dimension into the season for me. I also understand the practical reasons for having them too, moving the F1 circus from place to place is an expensive and complicated operation, made even more so when the time in which this can be done is reduced. Then, on top of that are the added travelling complications of the global pandemic which we have all been living with now for almost 12 months now. The way I see it i9s that we either have double headers at certain circuits so that we can have F1 races and an F1 Championship, or we have nothing. As simple as that.
Old 15 Jan 2021, 09:17 (Ref:4029170)   #2625
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just received my copy of Autocourse so will read their take on the way the last season panned out. Frankly, like many, I can see this year being even more difficult since governments now know more about the virus and how it's impact can be minimized. Rolling out vaccines will hopefully reduce the risks, but I don't see it being the silver bullet this year. I hope I'm wrong on that.

As John said, younger people (under 50) are probably way down the list and it may be autumn before they get jabbed. If so that will be most of the F1 community. Can't see the organisers being happy if they are seen to "jump the queue" by paying for jabs out of sequence, think of the publicity. And even if they did the restrictions would probably still apply.