Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jul 2017, 10:10 (Ref:3752742)   #276
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
A Kubica return will be sponsor friendly perhaps. And that's why it might happen. But it would be best a Karl Wendlingeresque come back. All the magic will be gone.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 12:11 (Ref:3752777)   #277
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wendlinger for me was quite different, as it was a big blow to the head - which this wasn't for Robert.

So, crucially, his brain will be wired the same as before, unlike, sadly, Karl.

Superlicence - hasn't Charlie already said, unofficially, this won't be a problem for Robert at all?! Let's be honest here, Renault will have dealt with most of the hurdles already (even off-record).

I am certain it purely now comes down to commercials.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 13:19 (Ref:3752789)   #278
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
Wendlinger for me was quite different, as it was a big blow to the head - which this wasn't for Robert.

So, crucially, his brain will be wired the same as before, unlike, sadly, Karl.

Superlicence - hasn't Charlie already said, unofficially, on the his won't be a problem for Robert at all?! Let's be honest here, Renault will have dealt with most of the hurdles already (even off-record).

I am certain it purely now comes down to commercials.
It'll be like Zanardi returning to F1 might be a better example. Older and unaccustomed to the new tech and unlike Zanardi when he made his comeback with Williams, with a permanent injury in a area that's needed for him to be truly on the limit.

He's not going to be as he was. No way.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 14:06 (Ref:3752797)   #279
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do people reckon then?

Mercedes: Hamilton, Bottas
Ferrari: Vettel, Raikkonen??? Who could they snap up if not? I can't imagine them risking Leclerc...
Red Bull: Ricciardo, Verstappen (?)
Force India: Pérez, Ocon
Williams: Stroll?, Massa?
Renault: Hulkenberg, Palmer? Kubica? Sirotkin or Rowland?
Toro Rosso: Sainz Jr?, Gasly? or Kvyat?
Haas: Magnussen, Grosjean? Leclerc?
Sauber: Wehrlein, Ericsson? anyone else?
McLaren: Vandoorne, Alonso? I don't know who else they could have, unless they fancy risking Lando...
Old 19 Jul 2017, 15:32 (Ref:3752818)   #280
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
McLaren: Vandoorne, Alonso? I don't know who else they could have, unless they fancy risking Lando...
Sainz has been mentioned as a possible for McLaren if Alonso leaves. And of course they've got Button too

Williams is an interesting one - presumably Strolls money will be staying, so they'll still need a grown up in the other car. Massa again? Safe but uninspiring. They've got Di Resta on the books as well if they need an injection of dour Scottish depression (although joking aside he's probably better than Stroll). Presumably Wehrlein isn't old enough?

The top teams look settled really unless Ferrari want to stick Perez in for a year? That would stir things up a bit further down the grid. Or Ferrari could put Grosjean or Magnussen in for a year with LeClerc in the Haas.

Spare seat at Renault - Kubica if his arm works, Sainz possibly if it doesn't. I don't think Sirotkin is a step up from Palmer is he? Other than that could they tempt Ocon back (but would Mercedes let him go there?).

Sauber is Ericsson and someone with budget you'd have thought.

Force India would presumably be happy to keep both of their drivers but if either goes could Wehrlein get a seat there?

Torro Rosso - tricky. Kvyat is surely out of the door? Sainz also could be on his way. Presumably Gasly would be first in line to replace one of them - but if they both left what then? Who else do Red Bull have in the pipeline that would be up to it?
Old 19 Jul 2017, 20:20 (Ref:3752882)   #281
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Sainz has been mentioned as a possible for McLaren if Alonso leaves. And of course they've got Button too

Williams is an interesting one - presumably Strolls money will be staying, so they'll still need a grown up in the other car. Massa again? Safe but uninspiring. They've got Di Resta on the books as well if they need an injection of dour Scottish depression (although joking aside he's probably better than Stroll). Presumably Wehrlein isn't old enough?

The top teams look settled really unless Ferrari want to stick Perez in for a year? That would stir things up a bit further down the grid. Or Ferrari could put Grosjean or Magnussen in for a year with LeClerc in the Haas.

Spare seat at Renault - Kubica if his arm works, Sainz possibly if it doesn't. I don't think Sirotkin is a step up from Palmer is he? Other than that could they tempt Ocon back (but would Mercedes let him go there?).

Sauber is Ericsson and someone with budget you'd have thought.

Force India would presumably be happy to keep both of their drivers but if either goes could Wehrlein get a seat there?

Torro Rosso - tricky. Kvyat is surely out of the door? Sainz also could be on his way. Presumably Gasly would be first in line to replace one of them - but if they both left what then? Who else do Red Bull have in the pipeline that would be up to it?
I think Williams need some fresh thinking but as you say, who is suitable? Wehrlein or Ocon would be ace but unlikely for reasons well documented. Maybe Nasr???

Ferrari really should ditch Raikkonen if they're serious about the WCC (what's the bet that I eat these words in a few months time...) but there is a gap in their ranks after the Jules Bianchi tragedy. I would be inclined to let Leclerc have a go at ruffling a few feathers given how he is clearly more than capable (and if Verstappen can, why not?!) but Ferrari over recent years have been more than a little risk averse. Pérez as you say would be quite fun though.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 21:26 (Ref:3752895)   #282
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know there is zero chance of it but i have thought several times this season about what Alonso would do in a Williams.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 23:30 (Ref:3752915)   #283
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
what Alonso would do in a Williams.
probably bankrupt them with his salary demands!

but seriously, that would be great to see.. you would think he would be beating the force indias consistently and even securing those podiums that williams usually let slip through its grasp.

sadly i dont think he would drive for less money though. cynical on my part but i think he would retire before taking a pay cut.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 01:19 (Ref:3752937)   #284
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I reckon Alonso will be off to Indycar before Williams!
Old 20 Jul 2017, 12:44 (Ref:3753085)   #285
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
It'll be like Zanardi returning to F1 might be a better example. Older and unaccustomed to the new tech and unlike Zanardi when he made his comeback with Williams, with a permanent injury in a area that's needed for him to be truly on the limit.

He's not going to be as he was. No way.
No I think it might be a little too much for him and might ruin the memories we have of him, no matter how much he deserved longer in F1, only to be cut tragically short
Old 21 Jul 2017, 17:10 (Ref:3753377)   #286
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
I know there is zero chance of it but i have thought several times this season about what Alonso would do in a Williams.
Probably do about as well as Hulkenburg in the Renault. Car is just not good enough to be at the front.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 09:48 (Ref:3753493)   #287
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Both Haas are staying for 2018. Have to say Magnussen is starting to get the better of Grosjean, he probably could have beaten him in Austria too if he hadn't got into lumber
Old 22 Jul 2017, 18:55 (Ref:3753568)   #288
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Probably do about as well as Hulkenburg in the Renault. Car is just not good enough to be at the front.
The Williams is better than the Renault and Massa has done a reasonable job but Alonso is a different animal. No up and down days. You could easily imagine the Williams challenging Red Bull and Kimi on good days and finishing 6th or 7th on the less goid days. However Alonso won't leave McLaren for that. He said he would only move for a car that can compete for wins. That doesn't give him much options!
Old 23 Jul 2017, 04:03 (Ref:3753677)   #289
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
The Williams is better than the Renault and Massa has done a reasonable job but Alonso is a different animal. No up and down days. You could easily imagine the Williams challenging Red Bull and Kimi on good days and finishing 6th or 7th on the less goid days. However Alonso won't leave McLaren for that. He said he would only move for a car that can compete for wins. That doesn't give him much options!
Then Williams could become the Honda works team to pay for it... oh wait..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Jul 2017, 08:20 (Ref:3753895)   #290
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
More news to follow.
Robert Kubica will drive at the post Hungary test. No official announcement just yet.

edit: BBC Sport's Andrew Benson with this breaking story.

Quote:

Robert Kubica's return from life-changing injuries will take a step up when he drives a 2017 Renault at a test in Hungary on 2 August.

The 32-year-old Pole has not raced in Formula 1 since a horrific rally crash in 2011 left him with only partial movement in his right arm.

The test, Kubica's third for Renault, is described by the team as "a new phase in assessing [his] capabilities".

It will increase speculation about an impending - and remarkable - comeback.

More to follow

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/40703059

Last edited by F1Guy; 24 Jul 2017 at 08:30.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 13:29 (Ref:3753943)   #291
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Great news that Kubica will drive the current car. Finally we'll see if he is still a factor.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 15:29 (Ref:3753970)   #292
S griffin
Veteran

At last we can see if he's physically capable of handling these new for 2017 cars
Old 25 Jul 2017, 08:12 (Ref:3754184)   #293
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
A dilemma for Renault's 2018 driver line up then. At one time Alonso was in the frame. Then Perez, then Sainz, and a few others have also been mentioned. And now Kubica. Who's next??

Apparently Renault has just conducted another secret test for another potential 2018 driver. A spy photo was leaked on the net in the last few minutes....

https://s18.postimg.org/ezapmd53d/spy_photo.jpg
Old 25 Jul 2017, 13:45 (Ref:3754252)   #294
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
If I had a free hand - allowing for current contracts - my shortlist would be Alonso, Kubica (if he can do it), Sainz, Pérez.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 15:11 (Ref:3754267)   #295
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
If I had a free hand - allowing for current contracts - my shortlist would be Alonso, Kubica (if he can do it), Sainz, Pérez.
Yes that would be the right order.

Christ, if Bob does get the job done next week that will really throw a cat amongst the pigeons!!!

It could well spell trouble for more than 1 career in the process.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 23:50 (Ref:3754413)   #296
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Anyone think Lucas Auer could be a factor? Or is his run at Force India an irrelevance?
Old 26 Jul 2017, 07:24 (Ref:3754439)   #297
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Kubica already qualifies for a superlicence under the sub reg's of the sporting code. He doesn't need to do anything else. Adding to this, Kubica has already passed the mandatory FiA driver extraction tests.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3754476)   #298
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Kubica already qualifies for a superlicence under the sub reg's of the sporting code. He doesn't need to do anything else. Adding to this, Kubica has already passed the mandatory FiA driver extraction tests.
Out of curiosity under what criteria does he qualify? Personally I doubt he does qualify as the rules are written. He may be close on the testing side, but I don't think the car was new enough. Or was there some "waving of hands" at the FIA and then voila... he has a license because they think he deserves one regardless of what the rules say?

Note, I would like to see him drive and would be happy if the super license hurdle is over. This is just a pedantic "rules are rules" type of question.

Richard
Old 26 Jul 2017, 12:03 (Ref:3754477)   #299
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Because, as has been mentioned before, the rules clearly state that points are NOT the ONLY way to receive a license. They can decide he has met their criteria, an unpublished document, and thus is eligible to race.
Old 26 Jul 2017, 12:36 (Ref:3754485)   #300
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
He hasn't passed the extraction test yet as far as I understand it?