Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:28 (Ref:1980522)   #51
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
At least us Brits have a driver up the front to cheer on - must be exciting the odd glimpse you get of Webbo...normally when he's breaking down!
lol - how many do you have in the field again? 4?

Go join Peter in hypocrite corner!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:29 (Ref:1980523)   #52
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Disregarding your reduction of this to fans etc. Don't you think it is unsporting?
It's clearly unsporting, but as with most sports in the modern era, the aim is very much to win at all costs. Sportsmanship is a thing of the past.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:29 (Ref:1980524)   #53
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft
lol - how many do you have in the field again? 4?

Go join Peter in hypocrite corner!
hypocrite? Explain please.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:30 (Ref:1980526)   #54
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Too right mjstallard!

The spice keeps flowing - it's brilliant theatre!!!

Coud it be that Alonso may have mistakenly believed he was 'restricted' when he had that stringy thing going on on off side fron wheel earlier in qualifying, so thought he'd get his own back on whatver he perceived to be going on?

Doubt it - he's just starting to play dirty -anything goes from now on!!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:31 (Ref:1980527)   #55
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
HAMILTON WINS TITLE - PRODRIVE SIGN ALONSO

You think Ronzo will allow Fred to get away with that without being put on sub-optimal strategies, before being replaced by de la Rosa for 2008?
Yep. He's got two top drivers, and needs them both scoring points to take the Constructor's title. I should think he's more unhappy with FA for taking away LH's final run in case KR had snuck onto the front row and LH didn't have the chance to respond.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:31 (Ref:1980528)   #56
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Hamilton on Radio 5 just now:

"By how much did you miss getting in a flying lap?"
"By about as much time as I was held up in the pits."

And he put a lot of emphasis on the word "team" when he answered the first question...

Pretty clear now Alonso is, as Her Ladyship said, frit.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:32 (Ref:1980529)   #57
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson
Yep. He's got two top drivers, and needs them both scoring points to take the Constructor's title.
But the drivers can't both have the same strategy. One's got to have the best, the other the next best. Which one do you think will get which?

And Ron's not frightened of getting rid of drivers if he doesn't like them...Montoya mid-season, Raikkonen...
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:32 (Ref:1980530)   #58
SLK55
Racer

England
SLK55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgms320
He's not a world champion. He's street trash.
Unfortuantely he is a world champion, thats a fact. Regretabbly he behaves like street trash
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:32 (Ref:1980531)   #59
CATMAN
Racer

CATMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't get on to Babelfish. Does Alonso mean "cheat" in Spanish
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:34 (Ref:1980532)   #60
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Rgms320 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK55
Unfortuantely he is a world champion, thats a fact. Regretabbly he behaves like street trash
I stand corrected. street trash was able to win two WDC's.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:35 (Ref:1980533)   #61
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK55

Based on what exactly?!!!

He's just displayed a bit of devious clever strategy that most of the truly top drivers have illustrated at key times in their careers.

We shouldn't be surprised, or shocked necessarily.....
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:35 (Ref:1980535)   #62
SLK55
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATMAN
I can't get on to Babelfish. Does Alonso mean "cheat" in Spanish
No it means "I cheat like only schumacher knows how"
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:37 (Ref:1980536)   #63
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I am hoping that Lewis kicks his arse quite frankly.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:38 (Ref:1980537)   #64
SLK55
Racer

England
Its just not sporting. Us brits are very sporting and hate to see scummy behaviour. YOu should know that CHuntetrer, you appear to be a brit !! But I also note you like a beer too, so maybe you have had too many at lunch time
lol

Last edited by SLK55; 4 Aug 2007 at 13:40.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:39 (Ref:1980541)   #65
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
He's just displayed a bit of devious clever strategy that most of the truly top drivers have illustrated at key times in their careers.

This is absolutely spot on.

Alonso's behavior today is a brilliant bit of strategy, especially given the decided disadvantage cars on the dirty side of the track have in Hungary.

Unfortunately, it isn't remotely what anyone could call "sporting".
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:39 (Ref:1980542)   #66
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are we sure Lewis would have got pole anyways?

Look chaps, the mind games are well into play now. I expect plenty of give and take between them until the end of the season and may the best man win.

I am now fascinated to see how Lewis responds. I think he will respond beautifully, personally.

Alonso did not by any means display sporting behaviour there (very unusual for him actually) but on the other hand, we have seen far worse than that.

This was just mind games between teammates. The young guy is upsetting the applecart and the champ is having to use every trick in the book to retaliate.

As long as it doesn't get overly silly, or result in some last round "accident" then it's all fair game (just).

Last edited by Knowlesy; 4 Aug 2007 at 13:41.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:40 (Ref:1980543)   #67
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What goes around comes around! Alonso has just crossed the fine line which defines what is, and isn't, acceptable.

McLaren now know they can release him from his contract whenever they want to. Ron now knows Hamilton is the better,faster driver who will probably deliver numerous World Championships for the team in coming years.

I think Alonso has just ensured the full might of the McLaren team will now line up behind Hamilton - and rightly so.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:40 (Ref:1980544)   #68
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer

No but that doesn't mean it is acceptable behaviour does it?

If you can't beat them on the track do off track.

Alonso has really gone down in my eyes this year. It seems that he never had to compete with a team mate previously. Were Renault running team orders? Hmmm.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:40 (Ref:1980545)   #69
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of important points.

* How did Alonso know how long to wait? It's not like he's got a watch in the car.

* And more importantly; Ron Dennis & Co. was livid. They did not approve at all... Did you see the Alonso - Hamilton handshake afterwards? Didn't look particulary friendly to me!

* Who was the McLaren guy that Ron grabbed and brought down the pitlane? He had something to do with Alonso but I can't remember what.

* Alonso looked very stressed at the press conference, and Lewis' answer to "By how much did you miss getting a flying lap?" with "About as much time as I was held up in the pits" was very to the point...
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:41 (Ref:1980547)   #70
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Are we sure Lewis would have got pole anyways?
I think Alonso was.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:43 (Ref:1980549)   #71
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Hmm....I'm thinking McLaren drivers, extreme rivalry, Suzuka, 1989!!

Can it happen again?!!

As Wesley Snipe's film charcter 'Blade' said once: 'Oooh so exciting!!!'
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:44 (Ref:1980551)   #72
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The guy Dennis had hold of was Alonso's trainer, apparently.

Regarding Alonso and McLaren, I think Fernando made up his mind a while ago he would leave McLaren the end of this season. I think I said earlier in the season he would retire if he won the title this year.

He's not happy there it would seem.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:44 (Ref:1980552)   #73
woolynet
Rookie

United Kingdom
woolynet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all, well, the board has come alive at last....

I think I know what the problem was with Alonso in the last moments of Q3...

He was talking to his mum on the radio and missed the call to leave the pits. 'Now drive carefully and don't let that little Lewis chap beat you again....'

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the McLaren skyscraper....

The trouble is with all this nonsense is that poor Heidfeld didn't get recognition for his superb qualifying - again, just gets on with his job and keeps his head down...well done.

Come on them everybody - what do you reckon about Damon's contribution to the commentary team - yeh, I thought so, but he was a World Champion so give the guy some slack - things have changed a bit since he was racing...

Enjoy tomorrow, I reckon it may throw up some surprises....

Last edited by woolynet; 4 Aug 2007 at 13:46.
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:45 (Ref:1980554)   #74
SLK55
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
A couple of important points.

* How did Alonso know how long to wait? It's not like he's got a watch in the car. Course he has a timer in his car

* And more importantly; Ron Dennis & Co. was livid. They did not approve at all... Did you see the Alonso - Hamilton handshake afterwards? Didn't look particulary friendly to me! Eh ?

* Who was the McLaren guy that Ron grabbed and brought down the pitlane? He had something to do with Alonso but I can't remember what.
Alonso's personal trainer and spanish speaker

* Alonso looked very stressed at the press conference, and Lewis' answer to "By how much did you miss getting a flying lap?" with "About as much time as I was held up in the pits" was very to the point...
Enough said
Old 4 Aug 2007, 13:45 (Ref:1980555)   #75
Bostik
Racer

Bostik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Hamilton Effect

Wow, how exciting was that! This is exactly what stuffy ol' F1 needs - real people doing real things - just like in normal racing.
The highlight for the rather excited group I was watching with was Lewis rubbing his temples with a middle finger as he listened to FA trying to sound credible in the post qualy interviews.
Brilliant
Cant wait to see the first lap tomorrow.